Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 14

Old 11-02-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Sooo I'm thinking about staying backstage during the show. I can see the scenes better and have a comfy couch as opposed to a tiny, uncomfortable wooden chair!
Old 11-02-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Brooksie, do whatever makes YOU happy. The way I see it, you can't go wrong either way. Have fun!
Old 11-02-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
Have you told him that you are frustrated with how he is spending the weekend drinking and laying around?
No, Renarde, and that is part of the problem. I hate confrontation, large or small, and I don't want to seem like I am telling him how to live.

Good idea about the water. Off to guzzle a cup.

Thanks, friends.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Grace

Take some really deep breaths from the lower belly, say 4-5 and slowly exhale. Hold your body and breath still after each exhalation. Notice how you feel after this. Are you focused on the present (test all your senses) ? Can you ease your mind and simply not drink right now ?
Old 11-02-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Br00ksie View Post
Sooo I'm thinking about staying backstage during the show. I can see the scenes better and have a comfy couch as opposed to a tiny, uncomfortable wooden chair!
Bah. We won't be able to see you! But I don't blame you really. And come to think of it I don't really remember being able to see the audience in SNL.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Howling winds and heavy rain here (yet again), so thought I'd have an early night. Woken up by fireworks going off - ok, so it's bonfire night, but who in their right minds, stands outside in THIS weather, just to light fireworks? There is 'stubborn british attitude' and there is PLAIN STUPIDITY. Nothing to stop them doing this tomorrow, when the forecast is for calmer weather, but oh, no.
- Not happy about being woken up Rant over - off back to bed Xx
Old 11-02-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
I figure if the person who drinks gets to lie on the couch for 2 hours in front of the football game, then I might as well crack open a beer.
Well, Grace, I have BTDT, and it has never been worth it. But I very well know the feeling. When I am successfully sober, I am suddenyl acutely aware of all the wasted time that happens because of it. Watching hubby have 6-8 beers on a Sat. night and sleeping in to 11, while I am up at 7 or 8. Ugh. and then, also, keeping the house quiet for that long because he is sleeping. He never seems t have hangovers or never admits to them. But does sleep very late on those mornings.

I do try to rationalize it a bit, as I do not work. So, I figure, it is his only day to sleep in, and drinking or not, I would tolerate that part of it. I am a napper, sober or as a drunk. Just am. So, i try to be fair there. but i get so jealous of his drinking and it is often my downfall in sobriety.

I know I failed last night, so I understand I am hard to respect right now. I do always feel better about myself for being sober. always. You can do this, Grace.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:42 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

I watched Crazy Heart on iTunes last night. Saw it in the cinema but I didn't remember the rehab scene. Also, I guess I am more sensitive this time as the theme of alcoholism seemed stronger as well as phrases such as 'one day at a time'. Not a bad Hollywood rendition of a drunk. Felt Tommy was a bit too fawning. I like Jeff Bridges ( especially as the Dude in the Big Lebowski). Off to a bike ride with my youngest !
Old 11-02-2013, 04:44 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Br00ksie View Post
Awwww. I understand, lol. But do let us know if you change your mind, so we can look for you! I feel so excited to watch tonight! LOL. Just because I "know" you! I hope I can stay awake. We always have it on to record on our DVR either way. And, an extra hour of sleep tonight, right?
Old 11-02-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Oh yeah just remembered we have to change clocks tonight
Old 11-02-2013, 04:54 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaneda8888 View Post
I watched Crazy Heart on iTunes last night. Saw it in the cinema but I didn't remember the rehab scene. Also, I guess I am more sensitive this time as the theme of alcoholism seemed stronger as well as phrases such as 'one day at a time'. Not a bad Hollywood rendition of a drunk. Felt Tommy was a bit too fawning. I like Jeff Bridges ( especially as the Dude in the Big Lebowski). Off to a bike ride with my youngest !
I saw that movie with my friend and I was so uncomfortable with the main charceter and his drunkeness! Jeff bridges was amazing in the role, and even though I am an acloholic, I had such a hard time identifying with the love affair from the woman's perspective. He was so extreme.

I say that and the I realize I knew I had severe doubts about my husband's drinking even as we were dating. I recall one night where he passed out while we should have been very romantic, and doubting things. I loved him so much. And here I am. I am not blaming my husband for my alcoholism, but I made the choice(subconsciously) to stay with him, knowing I was uncomfortable with his level of drinking, because I was enjoying the lifestyle. I enjoyed being "wined and dined." Yeah.

Not that he was at all or is, like that character, but when I think back on that night, I can so get that love affair in the movie. It is a stretch for me, but I can get it.

I have had a huge crush on Jeff Bridges since Starman, no kidding. Lifelong. I adore the man. That movie ruined that for me for a long time!
Old 11-02-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Swashbuckler

Originally Posted by Uninvited View Post
Oh yeah just remembered we have to change clocks tonight
I went nuts last night, regressed to the childhood times, re-read Jules Verne's novel, Around the World in Eighty Days and decided not to, precisely as Jean Passepartout did not, change the clock.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Administrator

do feel that it is impossible for me to ever be totally sober! Ugh. Why can I not do it?
It's not impossible Rochele - it does mean a lot of changes tho, and of course the willingness to embrace those changes.

I hope I'm not being too harsh if I say take look back at the last few posts you made and take note of all the things you might have put ahead of your recovery.

It took me years to accept that I needed to make some pretty big changes, so I think you're doing better than I did.

Keep on going

Clemence, the secret to one day at a time is it really is one day at a time, like Kane and Renarde said it's about today, not tomorrow or yesterday.

A day seemed achievable to me.

I committed to not drinking that day - then I got up the next day and recommitted again.

it's not a committment I made only for 24 hours it's a daily commitment I made everyday - if you see the difference?

Eventually forever didn't seem so scary cos I was already doing it.

I'm glad you're staying strong - we may face hard days but it's what we do in response that counts

Hope you feel better soon Renarde

D
Old 11-02-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
Administrator

I see sobriety as the middleground- no extreme highs and no unbearable lows, its those unbelievable low points that I believe brought us here, the hard part is there were un doubtable fun times when we could enjoy the drink and our alcoholic brains like reminding us of them times, but I believe personally that ive abused the 'right' to ever enjoy it again, in the end the alcohol stopped 'working' the way it used to- it just magnified the bad thoughts and made me blind to the positives in my life.
I won't lie - it took a few months for me to feel joy again - but I did. I think I underestimated the damage I'd done to myself drinking, not only physically but psychically too...

have faith - it gets better - we don't have to settle for anything...honestly

D
Old 11-02-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you feel a little better now Grace. One of the most futile things we can do is drink at someone.

I felt a lot of rage, resentment and even jealousy at drinkers in my early days. I'd given up but the hooks were in deep....I was still thinking of drinking as a good thing, and my inability to do it as a sad loss.

It took a few months before I got back in my right mind and realised that I like sober me and my sober life a lot more.

I'm sure you will too. You're missing nothing.

D
Old 11-02-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
I figure if the person who drinks gets to lie on the couch for 2 hours in front of the football game, then I might as well crack open a beer.
This sounds like your Addictive Voice saying this, and not you...is that possible?
Old 11-02-2013, 06:14 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hooped View Post
After 41 days sober I 'slipped' up pretty good and I've been drinking pretty hard for 12 days straight.
Yesterday I got some semblance of sanity back and decided I better smarten up.
But just to ease up on the withdrawals I figured I would have a couple of drinks.
I ended up drinking 24 beers all day yesterday.
So sick of this cycle, it's so tiring and soul sucking.
Not drinking today, I'm sober, but kind of puzzled and confused.
I need out of this cycle.
Don't think I'll post here anymore till I get my act together again.
If you don't feel like writing, what if in the meantime you just at least thank some posts you read on this thread just so people know you're around?
Old 11-02-2013, 06:25 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think if you're struggling, it's the perfect time to post Hooped. Post before you drink.
Like I said before, something's got to change man.

D
Old 11-02-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Correy View Post
I went nuts last night, regressed to the childhood times, re-read Jules Verne's novel, Around the World in Eighty Days and decided not to, precisely as Jean Passepartout did not, change the clock.

I am against changing the clocks too. But my boss is against me being an hour late for work.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Give us an update Brooksie!