Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 14

Old 11-06-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 501 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by FishnHippy View Post
How do you go about finding an AA meeting is there an app for something like that
Here ya go Fishy! AA INTERGROUP: Alcoholics Anonymous in North Carolina & South Carolina
Old 11-06-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 502 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by LillianGish View Post
I saw Arcade Fire on Saturday Night Live a few weeks ago, and fell in love! My husband and I both play that song "Reflecktor" all the time now. I forgot to download the rest of the album cuz it wasn't available at the time. Going to do that now, and thanks for the reminder!!
Arcade Fire is one of my favorite bands! Their last album, "The Suburbs" won the Grammy for album of the year! Their new album is great also! Very eclectic mix of sounds!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 503 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Originally Posted by FishnHippy View Post
How do you go about finding an AA meeting is there an app for something like that
You can find apps for iPhones and iPads, but I only looked at the free ones. The one I saw only had a few meetings for this area entered into it, so I think it depends on what the users ad. You can always phone your local aa central office. They should have people on the phones all the time. At least that's how they used to do it here.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 504 (permalink)  

I've just been lying in bed all morning. I suppose I'd better get up and do... something? I know there's periods of incubation that I've found to be really valuable when trying to get back on track... Sometimes I don't like being out of the house at all.

I just had some memories of past attempts at sobriety.
My husband sometimes goes on long tours with his band, sometimes five weeks. But it's been a long time since that has happened. I just had a memory of my old "tour routine" when I was at home alone.
I'd party and drink all the first week because that was the toughest part. I'd miss him a lot and I'd just drink to deal with it. Then at the end of that week I'd dust myself off, swear off the drink, and stay sober for the next month and try to stay really busy. I wouldn't drink because I was afraid of getting too depressed and not having him there to rein me in if I got too out of control. Also, I was afraid that if I binged too much I'd gain weight and he'd see a dramatic change in me when he got back.
Then I'd get a lot done, stay straight, then he'd come back home and I'd pick up the bottle again because that first week of re-entry after a tour can be really hard. Both for the person who toured and the person who stayed at home. I'd just cope through that and then go back to my normal drinking patterns -- 1 bottle of wine on a normal, mellow day, and just whatever was in front of me on random days a few times a week.

Just weird patterns. I guess I forgot about all of this
Old 11-06-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 505 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post
I've just been lying in bed all morning. I suppose I'd better get up and do... something? I know there's periods of incubation that I've found to be really valuable when trying to get back on track... Sometimes I don't like being out of the house at all.
Can you go do something for yourself, like schedule a massage or a nail appointment or pick up some art supplies or get some ice cream?

If leaving the house is too much, how about just taking a shower and getting back in bed?

I have found that the simple act of getting up and getting dressed (even if getting dressed = getting BACK into my PJ's!!) does wonders for my mood!!
Old 11-06-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 506 (permalink)  

Br00ksie, I moved to the couch!! Hahaha

Also I was going to make dinner for my landlady tonight but I rescheduled for Friday night. So in a way I did a little favor for myself.

Thanks for reminding me that it's important to do something nice for yourself every day!
Old 11-06-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 507 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Plenny, last weekend I bought myself new flannel pajamas...so cute, with colorful macaroon cookies all over them. Then, some warm comfortable UGG slippers that have fluffy sheepskin inside.

I feel so nice wearing them.

I felt....what are the words...hmmmm....cared for. I cared for myself, and it was kind of a different feeling. Most people don't do that very often.

You're worth it! You're worth nice PJs, for the same reason you're worth sobriety.

Just wanted to share my mindset, in case it's helpful.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 508 (permalink)  

It is very helpful to be reminded of this because for my entire life I searched for someone else to take care of me, and most people aren't going to do that.
My husband came very close to it though. He cares for me. But if I look to him for too much care and become dependent it's unhealthy. So I'm with you on the nice pajamas
Old 11-06-2013, 11:46 AM
  # 509 (permalink)  

I found out this morning that my position at work is being eliminated due to outsourcing
Old 11-06-2013, 11:51 AM
  # 510 (permalink)  

Aw no! That sucks Kellbell!
Old 11-06-2013, 11:56 AM
  # 511 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by kellbell123 View Post
I found out this morning that my position at work is being eliminated due to outsourcing
I'm so sorry Kell!!!!

I hope they are giving you some time and severance pay....

Hang in there hon. (((kell))
Old 11-06-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 512 (permalink)  

So sorry Kellbell, I know how it feels- ive been there before, hope you find the strength to stay strong. Sometimes things in life are beyond our control- job security nowadays is nearly non existent over here in UK.

Sometimes life sucks even when drink is out of the equation, we've just got to get through the storm and have faith that things will get brighter.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 513 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I'm really depressed right now. It came as a total surprise - I know it shouldn't have but it did. I get the "pleasure" of training whoever my job is being outsourced to. At least I'll have a paycheck for the time being and time to look for something else.
Right now I am taking it so personal. Everyone keeps telling me its not personal but I feel like I was kicked in the gut. I've been crying all morning and can't get myself focused.
On top of it all the other person on my team that handles the same things I do? Somehow she got a "save". They transferred her to a new job. So that leaves me with ALL the work and training someone else. I am so angry, sad and scared.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 514 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kellbell123 View Post
Thanks everyone. I'm really depressed right now. It came as a total surprise - I know it shouldn't have but it did. I get the "pleasure" of training whoever my job is being outsourced to. At least I'll have a paycheck for the time being and time to look for something else.
Right now I am taking it so personal. Everyone keeps telling me its not personal but I feel like I was kicked in the gut. I've been crying all morning and can't get myself focused.
On top of it all the other person on my team that handles the same things I do? Somehow she got a "save". They transferred her to a new job. So that leaves me with ALL the work and training someone else. I am so angry, sad and scared.
Oh, Kellbell. I am so sorry. That bites. I would be really hurt too.

Stick close to us so you don't drink, ok?

(((Kellbell)))
Old 11-06-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 515 (permalink)  

Kell, I am so sorry! That sounds very stressful and frustrating. Especially having to train your replacement.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:20 PM
  # 516 (permalink)  
Administrator

We continue here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-15-a.html