Notices

Class of September 2013 - Part 14

Old 11-02-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I guess, though, it's important to realize that we didn't accidentally show up at this site. There is a reason we are here, and maybe having oatmeal for every meal for the rest of our lives is a good trade. Maybe at some point there will even be a little brown sugar and raisins in our oatmeal.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by Uninvited View Post
I guess, though, it's important to realize that we didn't accidentally show up at this site. There is a reason we are here, and maybe having oatmeal for every meal for the rest of our lives is a good trade. Maybe at some point there will even be a little brown sugar and raisins in our oatmeal.
Yes, indeed. There is a reason we are here. I have expunged my life of the constant feeling of guilt that I drank around my children at every free moment. Good trade....well, actually whoever got the guilt and alcoholism is in for a shocker.

She's probably going, "thank goodness I got rid of that daily dose of oatmeal and now I can have wine!....Woo Hoo......Oh my aching head, and what exactly happened last night?"

I just need to figure out how to cook something else besides oatmeal.

We will figure out that deep philosophical question together.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:38 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

I just read up on what Bonfire Day is, and who Guy Fawkes was. I've never heard of that holiday before. Sounds exciting to light fires and shoot off fireworks.

Here in California, it's so dry we'd burn down the state in short order if we tried that....so probably best celebrated in more humid climates.

And now...I can say I learned something today. Thank you and have fun!!
Old 11-02-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Pretty sure we just celebrate bonfire day in Detroit, where they light all those cars on fire during Halloween.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:57 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I see sobriety as the middleground- no extreme highs and no unbearable lows, its those unbelievable low points that I believe brought us here, the hard part is there were un doubtable fun times when we could enjoy the drink and our alcoholic brains like reminding us of them times, but I believe personally that ive abused the 'right' to ever enjoy it again, in the end the alcohol stopped 'working' the way it used to- it just magnified the bad thoughts and made me blind to the positives in my life.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I really want to drink. Anybody there?
Old 11-02-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Im here Grace, I know how hard this is I was craving drink like mad the other night, the battle in my head between drinking and not was so intense- it can seem unbearable, i posted here and the craving passed in the end, i was soooo grateful the next morning, but again today there was a voice in my head saying a drink will make things better somehow (yeah right!), again it passed, im hoping these cravings will ease as time goes by. Hope you get through this and keep posting here- it helped me.

Do you have specific triggers?
Old 11-02-2013, 03:20 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hi Grace. You're doing the right thing posting here. Think the whole having a drink scenario through to the end, and remember why you shouldn't. We're here for you x
Old 11-02-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LillianGish View Post
I'm good, just at a loss for words sometimes. No worries though. Still sober, well at last since my birthday last weekend.

I don't feel in danger of drinking....just kind of bored of sobriety if that makes sense. It's like having oatmeal for breakfast, lunch and dinner and knowing that's what on the menu tomorrow too.

Yeah, I can do it....but, I feel a little Oliver Twist. The little voice in my head always asks me "how long you in for, Bub?" I know who that voice is. The Devil herself I think.

I picture that both God and the Guy from Hades both like to whisper when they speak to me. Isn't that funny? All that hoopla of God booming from the clouds.....that seems like overkill. Hmmm. Anyway, I'm trying to listen to the little voice that tells me to get outside and have fun. The earth is a big playground, yes?

Rochele I read about your party. Glad you had fun. I was wondering if you are going to try and moderate in the future? Thank you for sharing your story...I can totally picture myself doing the same thing, but I don't really want to.
No Lillian, not planning a long term moderation thing. I really need to not drink for health reasons, outside of the "odd glass of wine on the weekend" per my doc. Well, who can do that? I know I cannot so I really need ot be sober. I just hope I can.

Yeah, on the boredom thing. Except I love oatmeal and i cannot even eat that.

Sigh. Sometimes I just feel like I have had to give up too much. Wah wha wah, play the violins for me.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Thanks Clemence and 1 Step.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

What's going on grace?
Old 11-02-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

It is mostly me being peeved with my husband. He drank last night, I didn't, and I have had to take care of everything today. He had a nap to take care of his hangover, I drove kids to play dates and birthday parties, cleaned up, blah blah blah. And with his parents in town, we're set for another night of it.

I am feeling a little better. I know I would regret it tomorrow. I just want to drink! Rrrrr.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

You're fantastic Grace! Just think how good you'll feel tomorrow.

There have been so many posts about ice cream recently I thought I'd try some. I haven't eaten it for years (saved my calories for wine) so I decided to go for the good stuff; I chose Haagen Daz Dulce de Leche. Oh my goodness what a revelation. I'm hooked!
Old 11-02-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GotGrace View Post
I really want to drink. Anybody there?
I am here Grace. What's going on? I also really want to drink, but I do every weekend. It never goes away for me.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I figure if the person who drinks gets to lie on the couch for 2 hours in front of the football game, then I might as well crack open a beer.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I am also tempted by that kind of thinking, but it's self-defeating isn't it? Who would really be affected by your drinking? You, not him. If anything you'd give him company and be reinforcing his behavior. It would be your body and your productivity affected, you know?
Old 11-02-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Eat something Grace. Not sure why that works but it seems to do the trick with me.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Have you told him that you are frustrated with how he is spending the weekend drinking and laying around?
Old 11-02-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hi, Grace. I've been where you are. What's the upside if you drink? Satisfying the craving. What's the downside? All those feelings of regret, all the reasons we're all here in the first place. I can tell you from my slips: the buzz isn't what it used to be. It's not fun anymore. They set me back to square one. No upside at all.

I hope you can get past this moment. I know you CAN, you just have to do it. Wishing you all the best. You have the strength within you.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:07 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Uninvited View Post
Eat something Grace. Not sure why that works but it seems to do the trick with me.
Great advice: get that blood sugar up, and the craving will do way down. You may also be thirsty: how about go drink a couple of glasses of water, too.