Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 18

Old 10-08-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  
Marcher

Oh! LP, I have a friend whose mom put jack and coke in her bedtime bottle. It's a wonder ya'll drank it at all. These days, we'd go to jail for that and have our children taken away! It's a wonder any of us survived our childhoods in the 60's and 70's.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Howdy everybody,
I've been super busy working on getting a j.o.b. It's a job trying to get a job. It's time for me to grow up and get back out there. Plus I'm out of money. Couldn't afford to drink if I wanted to.

All you married Marchers put your fingers in your ears...Don't underestimate a good one nighter Budd. They serve their purpose. And that's all I got to say about that. Lol

I am changing my look. I don't want to wear all my heels. They are all so Kardashian 2010. I want a natural athletic Carman Diaz look. Now I'm not running out and buying any of those horrible geekenstocks..ie...birkenstocks...no offense to Birkenstocks but I'm revamping. Another plus of being sober. I can do whatever I want without looking like an idiot because I have unblurred vision. I know my style limits.

Later gators. Got to go be a grown up.

xoxo
Old 10-08-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Shoes - Getting a job is HARD work. But keep at it. You already know that persistence is the key. And clothes/shoes matter a lot too

Cameron Diaz is way hotter than Kim Kardashian.

I would do a one-nighter, but I get attached so easily. I'm like a woman when it comes to sex. One time and I'm hooked. And thus, I am not friends with any exes. Or anyone I've hooked up with casually, which always ended up in a relationship anyway.

Joy - Still can't believe your mother was trying to feed you xanax!!

But it doesn't surprise me that some of you were fed alcohol as wee lads/lasses. It was the thing to do at the time, right?

My parents were hippies. For my 18th birthday, my mom gave me some weed and a pipe. Yeah, that turned out well.:

And worst of all, the weed was so crappy. I had a bag of stuff 100X better in my drawer. I think my mom regrets doing that now.

Still really busy at work but I'm chairing a meeting at a rehab tonight. Nervous, but excited. Then I'm judging a university tax competition tomorrow. Last year, those poor kids looked like dears in headlights trying to explain the intricacies of the tax code. One kid couldn't remember his lines, so we sat there for 5 minutes in awkward silence. I felt so bad for him.

On the positive side, I just paid off several thousand dollars in hospital bills from 6 months ago in anticipation of accruing more hospital bills in the coming months.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

dd---you are something else. You just made my day. ha ha
Old 10-08-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hey, DD. I didn't put my fingers in my ears. You should listen to what shoes says. She is a wise, wonderful counselor. I wouldn't know anything about that stuff, I'm just sayin'...

The xanax...Yeah, well, my mom bless her heart, is such an enabling personality anyway. She loves denial. It is her closest friend. Sometimes I think she's just going to go "puff" and implode. And I didn't look, but I'm sure she has other meds in her cabinet. I need to come up with a "plan" for my next visit. Maybe stay at sister's house instead? Good luck with the rehab meeting tonight! And that ultra exciting (I'm soooo envious) tax code competition tomorrow! give the kids a break, why don't ya???

Shoes, oh, shoesie woosie! Please don't wear sensible shoes. Tired of the stilettos, I get that, but stay away from crocs and brown loafers, please! And a little wink and a smile to you for your job hunt. This grown up life doesn't really work for me either, but we must carry on as if does, right?

Hello, Babs! How's Fargo? Keep it clean today, girl!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Hello there JG---and everyone !!! Nothing new going on here----still trying to get caught up at home and work after being away two weeks in a row. Pretty darn boring huh.
later doods
Babs
Old 10-08-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi guys, still feeling a bit off, and my car is playing up so have to walk and bus everywhere which is a nuisance, funny how hooked we can get on our cars! Looks like I sold my bike at the wrong time!!

Marcher, Dee, I can't imagine 41c heat, we are so lucky in Britain, we moan about the weather all the time, too hot, too cold, ohh that wind cuts right through you, will this rain ever stop? And yet we probably have the most inoffensive weather on the planet. I hope you are ok and I hope that there are no fires.

LP good to see you sweetie, keep strong. X

Wehav, I felt it was a major forward stride the first time I realised I had dealt with something and hadn't considered drinking. I'm sure you feel the same. I hope the situation at home settles down.

Sass, good to have you back, we didn't break anything, er much. It was Natty and DD messing about, honest! Lol

Budd, Molly is the only sensibly named pet I have had- AMD that's coz I let hubby name her. My old neighbours kept cockatiels always had one on the go. Male or female they always called it Kevin. I asked why once and they didn't know? They weren't the sharpest knives in the drawer! ( In fact anyone of the Kevin's had a higher intellect!)
I can't wait to hear what you call the new one. I saw KWs new thread yesterday, I am somewhat in awe of her strength. Amazing lady.

Shoes good luck with the job hunt, sending positive vibes to you that something turns up soon.

Joy, that took some awesome strength to put that bottle of pills down when AV was shouting and your defenses were low. Count it as a big win.

DD you sure know how to live the high life don't you? Judging tax competitions and paying hospital bills, I'm surprised you bothered with drink, nothing could be more exciting than that!! Lol as for only being temporarily disabled, I hear a whisper on the Philly streets amongst the moggies, lets just say, don't go down any dark stairwells!

Babs, take it easy sweetie,

Natty, how's things other than busy?

1day, you still looking in??
Old 10-08-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  
Marcher

Ok, Toots, and anyone else who wants to listen, here is a link to one of the most beautiful and moving compositions that I've heard. Listen to it please. My oldest son played it at his senior concert 2 years ago, and we all were crying, including the conductor/teacher, by the end. It took about 20 seconds for everyone to regain composure to applaud. That made me love it even so much more. Its gorgeous. Maybe it will lift your spirits, but it won't lift your feet, unfortunately. It's long, but trust me its worth it.

Wagner ~ Tannhäuser Overture - YouTube
Old 10-08-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Thanks for the link, Joy. As big of an opera fan as I am, I do prefer Wagner's instrumental stuff more. And yes, I know Tannhäuser is an opera, but the overture is always instrumental.

It's the opposite with Mozart. Love his operas but not a fan of the instrumental stuff.

Bud - I named my last dog Raquel. I wanted a dog called Rocky, but I thought that was not right for a female pooch. I was big into Seinfeld at the time and loved the episode with Raquel Welch (I have no idea what else she's done lol), so the named worked out and I could still call her Rocky.

Toots - my life is extremely boring...and I kind of like it that way. No drama, except for the couple who lives next door who had a yelling and screaming fight that lasted an hour last night. It reminded me I really don't need to be in a relationship now.

I did my service commitment. That was interesting setting foot back into a rehab. First thing I noticed was that they had nicer chairs than my rehab. But I told my story. I few people shared. Most looked at their watches. But all in all, a good experience that I will volunteer for again.

I'm off to play some Grand Theft Auto and murder innocent computer code. In the game you can drink or smoke weed but I like to keep my character sober lol.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  

dd, sounds like a great service commitment. glad your avatar is sober, too. wouldn't it be strange to operate a drunk avatar sober? lol

i'm just checking in, sorry i'm not much company right now. I journaled what happened with my partner on my computer. then I looked in my documents and found something called, "easter share." it was a share I wrote here on sr at easter, and for some reason I felt the need to save it on my computer. darned if it wasn't a lot of the same crap that is happening now. I really love this person, and I feel the need to put it out there that she's one of the coolest people on the planet when the anxiety isn't biting her in the butt. but I couldn't help but notice the cycle, and have the sinking feeling that the definition of insanity is repeating something and expecting different results.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wehav2day View Post
dd, sounds like a great service commitment. glad your avatar is sober, too. wouldn't it be strange to operate a drunk avatar sober? lol

i'm just checking in, sorry i'm not much company right now. I journaled what happened with my partner on my computer. then I looked in my documents and found something called, "easter share." it was a share I wrote here on sr at easter, and for some reason I felt the need to save it on my computer. darned if it wasn't a lot of the same crap that is happening now. I really love this person, and I feel the need to put it out there that she's one of the coolest people on the planet when the anxiety isn't biting her in the butt. but I couldn't help but notice the cycle, and have the sinking feeling that the definition of insanity is repeating something and expecting different results.
WeHav, some relationships survive sobriety and become stronger; others fall apart. I think it takes effort and real work for the former. I hope that your relationship turns out to be one of those that grows closer over time. If not, you will still get through this. I have faith that you will find your appropriate path! It will not be easy no matter the outcome. (((hugs)))!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Good afternoon Marchers. I didn't get on here at my usual time this morning, then I logged in twice but got interrupted, maybe fourth time lucky?

Gosh it's been a heavy morning in the shop -- lots of emotion. One of our long time regular customers is in her 80s, she still draws and paints, goes to exhibitions, drives herself everywhere. Shoes you'd love to talk to her, she did fashion design in her working life. Anyway A has just been diagnosed with inoperable liver cancer, six months at the outside, her attitude is amazing and we have a very philosophical discussion. I'll be surprised if she is around for the six months, that lady will go when she chooses.

Wehav recognising that pattern/cycle in behaviour is probably a very good thing -- maybe not a comforting thing but useful.

Toots, unlike Dee we haven't had the bad heat yet but it's coming tomorrow, 37C predicted and I can feel it heating up already which is atypical for October. Personally we aren't at risk from bushfires, we'd be affected by smoke but not by fire.

Have a good and sober day everyone. A day is a precious gift.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:28 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  
Marcher

Good afternoon, Marcher! I'm sorry to hear about your friend's illness. She sounds like such an interesting woman. Aren't you glad to know someone like that?

It's gotten cold here. Brrrrr. I miss Florida.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness I just realised! Happy soberversary to Ken in three quarters of an hour.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:55 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

DD I'm glad your evening went well and Its good you feel like repeating the experience.

If you have ever heard of the British soap Coronation Street, there was a character on it years ago called Raquel, another character with a broad Belfast accent always called her Rackle. Now whenever I see/ hear the name Raquel, it will always be Rackle to me!! Lol
I too like the quiet life, I am a home body and like my solitude rather too much. Though I am extremely sociable around others.
I think I would worry if your avatar was a drinker, it would feel almost like you are continuing to drink vicariously though it, not a healthy thought!

Wehav, this thread isn't always about humour and entertainment, it works at its best when someone with problems just wants to know that others care that w are feeling low.
Relationships will often repeat the same arguments if the feelings for and against the row are strong enough to be returned to. The trick is to figure out why we keep going back to the same ground.

Marcher, without wanting to trivialise, I could do with some of your heat, we are due our first cold snap with arctic winds ripping down the east coast. If it closes the Tay Bridge, I have an additional 1-2 hour journey home, so am hoping the gusts aren't too high. As for your wonderful friend, she sounds like she knows how to enjoy her life and every experience it brings, it's sad she has this disease, but I feel she is one who will look at it as an opportunity to make the most of the time she has left.

Hi Sass, I hope you are enjoying your week off

Joy how's life back home? Were there many socks to pick up?

I'm feeling better healthwise, but have not slept great the last 2 nights, so an tired and cranky. Thankfully I have Molly to put a smile on my face before work!
Old 10-09-2013, 07:37 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Holy sh*t. I had a huge craving hit me yesterday. I was totally not prepared for the intensity of that one. It's been a while since the thought has popped in my head. Go figure that a job interview at 4 o'clock and me leaving at 5 would do it. Old happy hour I figure. I was all dressed up and leaving an office environment and kaboom. Hit me like a ton of bricks in the car. Really? I can work in a bar and never want a thing to do with it but cubes and computers and office people??? Old habits die hard I guess. Just proves I wasn't meant to work. Lol

Had I been in a funk of a mood Buddha only knows what would have happened. Only lasted about 10 minutes but scared me. I just sat in the car and refused to drive anywhere till it passed. I knew it would but I didn't want to take the chance of leaving the parking lot. Too many old stops on the way home.

All the bad stuff seemed to be a distant memory and all I could think of was that first few minutes of awhhhhh. Nothing else.

Lesson learned. A trigger can come anytime out of nowhere. And to really watch out for the f it attitude. I may not be so lucky next time. The 2 would be a perfect storm.

Anyway, I just road it out and it passed. I just need to be mindful and be prepared for reminents of my old life when I return to it. It's been relatively easy since everything I've been doing in the last 6 months was different. Not so much when I had a glimpse of the old one. I blame j.o.b. flashback. Buddha knows that everytime I left the office before I always stopped for my 2 bottles. Everytime.

I'm not doing any 4 o'clock interviews again. I get a job in an office, I will have a 5 o'clock plan. Straight to the gym or an AA meeting. Whatever it takes to break that brain wired connection. Ugh.

Hey? Who's got a sober birthday? Ken?? Sassy?? Life?? Black?? Babs?? I don't care if it's 7 days or 7 months. Let's celebrate something. Anything.

Whew. Too close for comfort for me.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Shoes, Great job on getting through the craving, might try having a motivational message in your car, I did that at first, had my first post here attached to my dashboard, in my wallet and on my door at home, helped me fight the cravings.

Today is 7 months for Marcher and me!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

2701643.jpg Here ya go Shoes, Platinum High Heels that cost $112,000. I think you need 2 pair
Old 10-09-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Hey, Shoes! Sorry to hear about the huge temptation but hooray for you for recognizing the AV and successfully fighting it! Over the years, that and complacency have, I think, been the biggest causes of my relapsing. I'm staying here on SR as far as I need to so I will have the best chance of breaking the cycle. Kudos to you for hanging in and thinking it through!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Ken and Marcher, many, hearty congratlations to the 7-month twins