Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 18

Old 10-03-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

i'm jealous that all you aussies are starting to enjoy spring! I hate winter, and fall means impending winter! knowing this means I can barely enjoy fall color because it means the leaves are all gonna fall off...

thank you for all the doggie love, foster deserves it. he's a wonderful pup. i'm still such a proud doggy momma that he did so well at the campout.

shoes, hope you are doing better honey.

digdug, sending healing thoughts to your friend. I had a boy in my summer camp have a stroke in late july. he almost died. by the time life squad got there, well I won't get into it, but all of his systems seemed to be shutting down. he's now out of the hospital and in physical and speech therapy but will make a full recovery. I am wishing this for your friend. glad you are in such a better place that you can be there for her.

joy and marcher, there are a lot of words we like to use for the "interesting" kids. you know, the kids whose names you learn within 5 minutes of meeting them because you will have to call them by name to redirect their behavior like 20 times in those 5 minutes. I like to call them "spirited." it's respectful yet gets the point across in my book. :-)

toots, I have a corn snake in my nature center. I hear they taste like chicken...

I had an interesting evening tonight. I attended a work related social. In a brewery. No inclination to drink whatsoever, which was very nice. and a little surprising since it was a microbrewery a lot like the one my brother started many moons ago and since shut down. I found I was very interested in the science behind it and all the equipment, but not the beer. I had long since lost the ability to enjoy beer when I quit drinking, so maybe that helped. there was absolutely no pressure on me to drink too, which was nice. just had a really nice night with colleagues. of course I had to be mindful of the fact that the old alcoholic mind might later try to convince me that it would be a good idea to check the place out again, on my own time, just because it really wasn't a threat to my sobriety, you know. lol. those thoughts didn't come, but I thought of the thoughts then dismissed them. that make sense?

okay, I had better stop yapping. take care, all! wehav
Old 10-03-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Sass - Not Westtown. But we played them in sports (Friends' League). They beat us at everything.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  
Marcher

Hey, I'm at my looney mom's house. She's vacuuming her bathroom at 11:30 at night. I think she's had enough tea. Tomorrow we go shopping. Yeah for moneybags mom!

I like being here, it's where I grew up so it's familiar. I might even look up some old friends. Anyway, Dig, I hope you get to see your friend soon, because that means she's feeling better. And I figured you'd eat the snake.

Marcher, I'm jealous that you are enjoying spring, the best season of all. But I'm glad you are, I know you'll make a yummy quiche with your veggies, maybe? Have a good Friday afternoon!

Wehave, spirited is a good one. And sometimes the teachers get spirited. With spirits. Like creepy man. About the brewery, my H has a dream job in his fantasy world with rainbows and unicorns. It is to work in the sam adams brewery, testing beer and jumping in the vat and hosing down the floors. Lofty goals. I'm glad you had a good time there and didn't get mindwarped by AV. Yea!

Goodness, its quiet here. I can hear myself breathe. Amazing. This is good. I'm happy.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:10 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Good guess Joy re making something nice & thanks for the suggestion of the quiche.

Dig I'm awed by your childhood experiences in Oz, how lucky were you! I looked up your pie shop and I've read about them here, they look pretty authentic except for the buffalo chicken. What is buffalo chicken? I've heard of buffalo wings too though I've never seen a picture of a buffalo with wings. It reminds me of that other weird thing -- turkey bacon. How on earth do you get bacon from a turkey? BTW Dig I am not directing these questions at you personally, I'm just sending them into the ether, you enjoy your pies. Got some sauce for them?

Wehav I forgot to say what a cute dog you've got, glad he enjoyed meeting the other dogs. I totally get what you are saying about "those" kids whose names you know in five minutes. Back in the days when we still had boards I used to love occasionally saying as I wrote on the board: "You can stop doing that right now." Then I'd turn and face the class and say, "Just get on with your work." Their expressions were priceless! I'm sure that convinced them that I really did have eyes in the back of my head.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:13 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  
Administrator

You missed out on a Yatala Pie Digdug?

too bad lol

D
Old 10-04-2013, 02:13 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

DD glad your friend seems stable. At least now they can look towards a prognosis, hopefully one as good as Wehavs friend. So you live near Philly? What's that about 300 miles from Boston? Hmm a bit too far to drop Molly off in the mornings! Those meat pies sound yummy, we have a butcher here makes the most delicious steak pies. I'd advise anyone coming to Scotland to avoid 'scotch pies' like the plague though. At best the pastry will chip a tooth and the contents may once have breathed, but it is up for debate. At worst they are seriously hazardous to your health. Sass you think haggis is the worst thing about Scottish fodder? Think again!

Marcher, I too envy you your spring. The colours here are lovely just now, but crisp brown leaves are falling to lie in a soggy, slimy slippery mass underfoot, waiting to embarrass the unwary. We have not really had it cold here yet though.

Wehav! ' I thought of the thoughts and then dismissed them' I absolutely get that!!! Last weekend stood facing the bar, my eye was drawn to a bottle of courvouissier brandy. One of my slurps of choice at the end, and a drink hubby and I had enjoyed together for years. Well I noticed the bottle, and noted what it was...nothing! So I thought about the times I had enjoyed it ( rather than the times I drank it by the half pint to get pished, ) it was like I was deliberately poking at a wound to see if it would bleed, but you know, that wound has not only scabbed over, but healed leaving a faint star. I could bring back the memories of raising the glass, but none of the pleasure or the taste or anything. I certainly don't recommend this to anyone, it may well have left me with carvings to cope with for the rest of the night, and I probably won't be repeating the exercise with a different drink. It wasn't really a conscious thing initially, if that makes sense? Anyhoo Wehave, I get it!

Joy oh for a moneybags mom! When I go home I treat her! I'm glad you are having fun.

Dee I googled Yatala Pie, get one couriered over immediately!

In typical British fashion, when Europe decided to go metric, we humphed and mumped and moaned about retaining our sovereignty, then agreed to allow both imperial and metric to be shown, and then slowly metric took over. But again, in typical British half assed style, something's haven't changed. We still drink pints and stagger miles, but in 20C heat carrying 2kgb bags of apples and 300cl cans of coke!!!! Go figure!
Old 10-04-2013, 05:20 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

toots, I totally get what you were saying too! i'm glad our minds both warp in the same fashion. :-) oh and let's not forget that you British weigh yourselves in "Stones." that's the one that confused me.

joy, have fun shopping! your mom sounds like my sister, she would vacuum in the middle of the night if awake.

marcher, love your trick! maybe now you can look pointedly at your computer like you can't see anything else and say it. lol

the closest I've ever had to an Aussie meat pie, well wasn't anything close. I had a broccoli and corn Cornish pasty in England. I'm hoping it wasn't representative of real Cornish pasties... there wasn't actually broccoli in it, which made me sad. we called it "broccoli dust."

I think the extent of the fallout from my brewery immersion last night was a dream where I had to play bartender for my whole family. all kinds of fancy, appealing drinks. but even in the dream, I didn't drink any of them. That's a new one! And a new development that as strange as it was, i'll put in the "win" column.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Meat and pies do not go together. Unless you are making one for a pet. Then it works. It's like chicken broth in dog cookies. Only works for them. That rule also applies to bacon cupcakes. Now in most things, I have a thing about rules. I don't like them. Except when it comes to food.

Haha DD. I had a Ford Pinto in high school. In reality, it was one of my better cars. I've also had a 1970 LTD with no brakes that could seat 12 and a VW where nothing but the engine worked. Had to dip a stick in the gas tank to see how much gas I had.

Maybe it was a good thing you didn't have too many friends back when you were drinking DD. If you were anything like me, you would have just disappointed and let them down. Better to have good friends when you can be one anyway. No sense taking them along on that drinking ride if you don't have to. You can have all the ones you want and need now.

I love fall! I love how the sky is still real blue and the earth turns brown. I love the crisp air. I love sweaters and boots. I love watching college football and eating homemade soup and crock pot food. I love turning the oven on and it making the house warm. I love thick blankets on my bed. I love mittens and scarves. It always makes me want to walk around on a college campus looking all Ali McGraw in Love Story. Sigh. I'm so excited it's only going to be 58 degrees tomorrow!
Old 10-04-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Oh, and maybe I can help you with the declawing cat thing DD. I figure we were the ones that domesticated them so we owe them an explanation. Just how I justify it anyway.

I told my 2 cats 18 years ago when I got them....here's the deal...

The average cat life expectancy of a cat with no home is 4 years. A cat with a home can live up to 20. One in the Guinness book of world records was over 30. You can live with me. I will love you and care for you every single day of your cat life. You will never know one day of being cold or hungry or not loved. You will not have to get into fights over a dead mouse and you will not get fleas, ticks, parasites, or feline leukemia. You will not have to have litters and litters of litters of kittens. I will take care of every medical need you have. Most times before my own. You can sleep all day and play all night. I will even go outside in the backyard with you so you can chase leaves for awhile. Or you can sit on my patio with me on my lap when it's a 110 and it too hot for you to be on my lap. I will clean up after you and buy you fun toys. I will play with you, scratch behind your ears and your tummy, brush your hair, make you treats. I will vacuum your damn hair up everyday. I will clean up your barf and pick up your poop. I will not ever get mad about that. I will never hit you or scare you.

I ask only in return one thing. Nothing else. Your front toenails. I am not made of money and your care comes before me replacing chairs and sofas. I will make sure it doesn't hurt. Your front feet maybe sore for a few days but I will feed you tuna and wait on you hand and foot till you feel better. In a few days, you will still think you have them and still will be able to play shred the furniture anytime you want. You will still have your back ones to run up the back of your sofa and curtains as long as you don't get too fat. You still can think everything in the house is yours and you just let me live in it. Since I'm not letting you out of my sight, we have a pretty slim chance of you having to battle it out with anything more than the chihuahua. I apologize in advance for that one.

I will take care of you for your entire cat lifetime no matter what. I will never give you up. Ever.

There ain't a smart cat out there that wouldn't take that deal.

Just trying to weasel you into getting a cat.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:28 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

And who says cats and dogs don't get along. That's my sweet dog **** and my bad *ss Leo the Lionhearted. I love animals. I'd have a zoo if I could get away with it. Almost do.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:41 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Wehav - I can handle work happy hour functions fine, especially because my co-workers aren't big drinkers. But a work function at a brewery? I'd be a kid in a candy store and I wasn't even a beer drinker!! More power to you, I guess. At least you still have science!

And I always get crazy mental images of Brits when they refer to their weight in stones. Like they are literally carrying around stones to be weighed in some huge two-pan balance, medieval style.

Joy - The only time I have spent the night at my mom's house since I moved out at 18 was when I was recovering from lung surgery and she took me in to help with my care. It was hell. And I love my mom so much. But she is crazy (in a good way....sometimes). Maybe I was just miserable because I was in pain. But living under her roof reverted me back into a snarky, dysfunctional teenager. After two weeks I said, "F this. Drive me back to my apartment in the city." I see my mom once a week for dinner at a restaurant. That's about all I can handle at this point.

Marcher - If I told you I got to perform in the Sidney Opera House, would you believe me? Or that I got to see an Aussie rules football game in Melbourne and then go into the Magpies locker room and get a football signed by all the players, including a young Sav Rocca who eventually became a punter in the NFL for my favorite team? Well of course I did those things. Doesn't everyone?

But seriously, Australia is the best country I've ever visited, and I've been to a lot of them (Scotland included, Toots - sorry, yours is a close second).

Buffalo Chicken is just chicken in hot sauce, usually with a side of bleu cheese or ranch. We americans apparently love it. Sometimes it's on a wing. Sometimes it's not. The local pizza dives sell buffalo chicken cheesesteaks. Pretty good actually.

And do I really need sauce for the pies? I remember the gravy already being inside the pie. That's what I loved about them. Completely self-contained meal.

Dee - I did not specifically have a Yatala pie. I only spent a few days in Brisbane and we didn't see the Gold Coast. But I was happy enough eating the pies from the street vendors across the continent.

Toots - I guess you could say I live near Philly, if "near" means City Hall is right outside my window.

Shoes - as crazy as this may sound, I have never drove drunk. Ever. Back in high school when I owned that car, I didn't even drink. But people hated driving with me anyway because the AC was also broken and you couldn't roll down the windows. But I loved that car because I would always tell myself, if I crashed it, I would just leave it on the side of the road. No harm, no foul.

Truth is, I haven't owned a car in 13 years. City life means walking, subway and the occasional cab. Parking near my apartment building is $300 a month! Yeah, I'll be walking.

You make a good point about cats. But as explained in an earlier post, they already have conspired to hate me. There must have been a summit or something where this was discussed and voted upon. If I declawed a cat, I would be afraid a bounty would be placed upon my head and every feline roaming this earth would see my face as a chance for a pay day.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

oqdo635tkjx.jpgJust talked with a breeder and assuming all goes well this little girl is moving to Key West
Old 10-04-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Morning, all!

I take the opposite point of view in the great cat declawing debate. None of my recent vets will even do it. In the past, I had 3 cats with front paws declawed and will not do it ever again. The vet said it's the equivalent of having our fingers removed at the first joint. I still remember my kitty coming home from the vet with bandages on her front paws. She could jump up on furniture but would cry when she jumped down and landed on those front paws. After they healed, that part was fine but it left me feeling sad when she would walk along the top of the sofa, slip and try unsuccessfully to dig her claws in to stop her fall and then cry as she fell. Heart-breaking!

There is another alternative. I think the name of it is something like "SoftClaws". They are sheaths to cover the front claws that will stay on until the claws grow out - then it's time to put new ones on. I couldn't manage to do it but have heard that vets will. Not as convenient but much easier on the cat. Also, the last time I needed new cushions on my sofa, I got this amazing fabric that is like steel when it comes to cats attempting to scratch it. They can't get anywhere with it, lol! And I always have a scratching post or two with catnip.

Sorry - I guess it's pretty obvious that I feel strongly about this! We all make our own decisions, however and in the final analysis, it's how we care for our pets and love them that matters most.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  
Marcher

Ken what a cutie of a puppy! Look at those wrinkles. Congrats on the adoption, new dad.

I drove an orange volkswagon beetle in high school. And I hate orange. But, it was on loan to me from a family from Germany whose daughter I nannied. Why argue with that? That was a fun little ride, I must say. I like driving a stick because it gives way more power. My brother had a red '67 mustang, and that's what I learned to drive in. It was so cool but dang, the stick came out of the floor so was hard to get in gear for me, and reach the pedals. Oh, I remember driving around listening to Journey on the 8 track in that car with the windows down. I wish I was doing that right now. To be 16 and carefree...

Shoes, I think I don't like fall because of orange. Its everywhere! Plus, everything dies. Fall feels like death to me. Then there's Halloween, more death. And that's when school starts, so back to work. I do dig college football, hotty toddy! I don't wear fall colors well, they don't match my skin tone or hair, so shopping isn't fun. You see? Now, I love soups and fires and cozy blankets. But if you turn your AC down, you can have those year round! I loved Florida. Summer for 5 months, spring for 7 months. Flip flops at Christmas! Going to the beach at Thanksgiving, Disney in the spring... enough of that.

So, toots, as you can see I would not fare well in Scotland. I'd have to be huddled up byfire the whole time, and I'd be b*tching about it. Then you'd bring me damn haggis and scotch pies (I don't even want to know). Sorry, I know you love it, it's your home.

Dig, I want to go to the gold coast? there is a place where there is a beach in the front yard and the rain forest in the back yard. And a zip line to connect the two. Oh, yeah. That would do nicely for me. I have googled it. Also, I believe to GBReef is there, so snorkeling and diving would ensue. I would be very cautious abou the food though.

Well, I slept till 11:00 this morning! And now I must get out of these jammies and into clothes for some shopping. Thank goodness looney mom is in a good mood today. She can be "spirited" sometimes.

Everyone, have an excellent day. Hugs!!!
Old 10-04-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Toots, ok, give .... What's in "scotch pie" that could be worse than haggis - road kill?
Old 10-04-2013, 11:40 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Oh Sass road kill is only for the most upmarket of scotch pies! The filling purports to be minced lamb. With seasoning, but it seems to be made from the feet and tail! It is all gristly and chewy and is lardy cold and greasy hot. Nasty, nasty food!

For those who are interested, we are beginning our tour of Edinburgh from the cafe. I'm not sure how to do a link for late arrivals,I am particularly inept where computers are concerned, but if you go to cafe central and look for the Marcher Mania thread you will find it. Anyone more technically minded than I. ( but has fingers not paws like Molly) if you can copy a link that would be nice.

DD where in Scotland did you visit?

shoes sorry I too do not declaw. All my cats went outside, and needed to be able to hunt or defend themselves or climb.
As for cats and dogs, Molly has been bullied by two cats in our house, and there are several nearby that torment her. I also had a lovely cat, spud, who was a big handsome lad, and a wee Jack Russell, Second. Spud was always bigger than second and they would chase each other around the house and play like maddies! I even trained Seccy to close the door as I was fed up of having to get up everytime they flung it open running into the room. They were somewhat like Garfield and Odie!
Old 10-04-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Ok this is the only photo of Seccy I have, my AexH took the others when we split.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (90.7 KB, 38 views)
Old 10-04-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

OMG! Giant dog! Where are Joys giant shoes!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

This hopefully is a not so scary picture of me 10 years younger with Spud who'd have been 15 at the time, a bit smaller than in his prime but still gorgeous!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (93.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 10-04-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Oh crap! Giant Toots too! Sorry guys, do not allow children near this sight, it will damage them for life!