# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of August 2013 Part 5

continues from here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-4-a-20.html

D
Old 09-10-2013, 11:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kadidee, Yes sometimes nurse practitioners are great. Ive worked with some that are better than most doctors. I hope she will call me back tomorrow. She's the one who might take my insurance and she said on the voicemail she calls back within 24 hours.

As for the doctor who has a great rep, I'll deal with the woman in the office, I'll just set it up for after my trip.

My doctor gives me a good deal because he knows I don't have the money of the other patients and I've been there for a long time. He cuts me a lot of breaks. And I have quick access to him, day or night. It's just that I need fresh eyes on this situation. It can't hurt to have consults with 2 others.

I'll let you know if I need that name Jaynie, sounds like a great doc

TY
Old 09-11-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Elseware here on Day12. The sun is shining, I was able to sleep last night. All is good, I guess. Feel ok. Very tired still, with no energy. My goal for today is to go to my yoga class. Walk a couple miles. Go over to the neighbors and raid her garden. Lets see if I do any of that. Or one of it. Last evening I actually barbecued a couple things for dinner. That was good. I weighed myself this morning and I'm downright skinny. To be very frank, opiates do a very bad number on your gut. It feels wonderful to be free and empty of that at long last.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have appointment with nurse practitioner on the 23rd. She sounds ok.

I went to go out with my friend for coffee and a bagel and as soon and we got to the place I could not stay. I was feverish and dizzy, and super irritable. So I'm back in bed. This is all depression type symptoms that prozac used to clear. It's a lot of complicated things I bet. I am on my 3rd day of prozac it should do something in a couple of days to help a little. I hope.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee!! I am definitely going to try urge surfing whenever I get another craving. Good stuff!
Old 09-11-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello all - Elseware, glad you are doing well. Johnny, hope you feel better soon. I guess I'm on day 16 losing track of my count a little, but everything looks bright. I get thoughts about drinking now and again, but it isn't taking much effort to push them away. I am lucky, I still have a good life.

I had 2 big tasks on my list this past weekend, only got 1 done as I had allergies pretty bad on Sunday and decided to cut myself some slack. That's 1 more than I would have done drinking, so I'm ok with that.

I'm off to finish my hump day, will be back around this evening.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=foolsgold66;4174886]
That's 1 more than I would have done drinking, so I'm ok with that.

I love that thought....I am definitely not setting world records for productivity right now, but I guess I am staying sober.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi folks. day 12 was an ok day....didn't do much but I did do a yoga DVD which was extremely difficult since 6 weeks of not doing anything but lay around was very debilitating. But I felt great once it was done....for about a half hour. But for a bit I saw a light at the end of the tunnel. Having flashes of thoughts of using again but not seriously considering it. Sort of thinking how I would have acted just 6 weeks ago. And I don't have the slightest desire for alcohol. I am seeing a doc tomorrow. Just to talk about my health and get an evaluation. I'll probably lie by omission but I do want to get a baseline as of this point. I'm hoping that I have not damaged myself beyond repair. I could not have made it this far without this safe place to express myself. Oh, and just an observation, if your are my age and lose 15 lbs in 6 weeks, don't put on yoga pants and go anywhere. It is just not pretty.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=jaynie04;4174898]
Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post

I love that thought....I am definitely not setting world records for productivity right now, but I guess I am staying sober.
I know just how you feel. Let's consider that productivity! Thanks!
Old 09-11-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi all. Feeling emotional and kind of weepy. I have to go to the dentist tomorrow and feel so stressed that my skin is tingling. I left an abusive marriage some years ago. The PTSD is not as acute as when I first got out, but I'm triggered when I have to go to the gyn or dentist. My ex-husband used to hit and kick me a lot in the face and strangle me until I passed out. I go into fight or flight mode when someone touches my face or neck. This usually results in a meltdown and sobbing. One second I'll be fine and the next I'm wailing and rocking. It is so embarrassing and makes me feel very out of control and self-conscious. This has happened before when I had to go for an ear infection and once when I was getting a massage. It's not a rational thing--I don't consciously fear the doctors, but the touch triggers something awful that I haven't learned to control. I've learned to just tell new doctors up front that this might happen. I'm also nervous because I have receding gums and think I might need some sort of graph surgery around one tooth, which means that I'll have to go back to the dentist again after tomorrow. I've been avoiding going for a year, which is not a good idea--it has made the recession worse and I've only put off the inevitable. When I quit drinking, I decided to finally take care of some things that need to be taken care of and so I'm going tomorrow to a new dentist, a woman that comes highly recommended by a friend.

Also, I agreed to do something for a colleague at work when I didn't really want to and am also not obligated to do. She has seniority and I am up for tenure next year--she will be a part of this process. So I'm doing this thing for her tomorrow (after the dentist appointment) and I am resentful and mad at myself for saying yes. It's a long, complicated story that I won't go into--what I agreed to do is not even a big deal and won't take much time, but I'm mad at myself that I said yes to it anyway. I think I need to set better boundaries with this colleague so that I don't harbor resentment and feel powerless.

Anyhoo, the good news is that I don't feel like drinking. My latest netflix addiction is "The Wire" so I'm going to watch some of that and try to relax. Then maybe take a bath with lavender Epsom salts.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think I'm facing something like that too Kadidee - good luck tomorrow

D
Old 09-11-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good luck tomorrow Kadidee. I hope that verbalizing your triggers to the doctors help you empower yourself. It sounds like you have a lot of clarity.

Elsewhere I am living in yoga pants and it isn't pretty, but I need to lose 15, wish I could gift them to you...we are pretty hard on ourselves.

I am starting to realize yesterday the negative stream of thoughts (about myself) that go through my head during the day. I'm too fat, I'm getting old, look at how together that person is, will I ever be normal? Lord, I waste so much time and energy being self critical. I am making an effort to pay attention when those thoughts come up, I think they keep me down.

I am really glad to be among the kindness here at SR...!

We had a speaker when I was inpatient who got up and the first thing he said is "you are all courageous". I agree. It takes a lot of guts to be working so hard on getting and staying clean and sober. Props to all of us!
Old 09-11-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Kadidee, Yuck, the dentist is bad enough without all you bring to it. I hope it goes well. It's good that you tell them up front. They are pros there and will be able to help you through it if need be. I had a bad time at the dentist once and they knew just how to handle everything. It came out ok. Good luck. I hope your mouth problems are not too bad. You gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
I am starting to realize yesterday the negative stream of thoughts (about myself) that go through my head during the day. I'm too fat, I'm getting old, look at how together that person is, will I ever be normal? Lord, I waste so much time and energy being self critical. I am making an effort to pay attention when those thoughts come up, I think they keep me down.
Me too, Jaynie. Pretty consistent stream of those kinds of thoughts. I think that paying attention to them though, like you said, really helps. I've read buttloads of self-help literature on this topic, and a lot of it talks about how these are just thoughts, we can change or replace our thoughts, etc. I hope that by staying sober I can actually start working on this instead of looking for a quick fix. BTW, I think that you are WONDERFUL. I love, love your posts.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks, Elseware. I think I will feel better once it's done because I've been stressing about it for ages and picturing the absolute worst outcome like death or getting my jaw sawed off. It surely won't be that bad

And rock those yoga pants, girl. Wish I could offer you some of the wine weight that I'm working on losing to fill them out...
Old 09-11-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good morning...
Old 09-11-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi I everyone. So proud of you for trying everyday and hope you are proud of yourselves.

Someone was writing about the stream of negative thoughts. I too was surprised a couple months after quitting by the the negative thoughts I was telling myself. Some of them were about low self worth and some were about helplessness and others about hopelessness. All of them surprised me. I had squelched them when drinking for so long that I honestly thought I didn't have such thoughts! But of course I didn't remember much day to day anyway.

So what I wanted to say was I ended up using the AVRT process with the thoughts. I called them my helpless/hopeless/worthless voice and decided they were a pack of lies my brain was hooked on just like with alcohol. Using AVRT with them really helped me notice them and eventually detach and ignore them. It still does.

Anyway just wanted to say how much you all inspire me. Everyday. Your courage gives me courage too.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That's a great idea, EQ! AVRT for negative thoughts, who knew? It makes sense, though. I wonder if some part of us becomes addicted to those negative thoughts...
Old 09-11-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Kadi: I think I was definitely addicted to them and always will be just like alcohol. And they change the brain like alcohol does too.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EternalQ View Post
Kadi: I think I was definitely addicted to them and always will be just like alcohol. And they change the brain like alcohol does too.
Yes. I read somewhere that over time, those negative thoughts form new neural pathways in our brain...like tiny little ruts. These pathways get stronger the longer we feed them. As such, it's easier and easier to slip into and get stuck in loops of negative thinking. BUT, the good news is that supposedly we can re-wire our brain to form healthier patterns of thinking. I like the visual of this...the dark, murky pathways turning into lighter, brighter ones.