Notices

Class of April 2013 Part 2

Old 04-14-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Day 2 ~ Just a quick check in. It's a beautiful day outside today, I plan to take a walk to a creek this afternoon around the time I know my av voice usually starts taunting me. I'm felling really good and positive about today.

Hope you all are having a safe and sober Sunday.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Hi All - Day 11

Another quick check in, I'm about to head to work, wish I had a bit more time to read all your posts, hopefully tonight I can have a good catch up.

Hope you are all well.

Welcome citrus

Mustlovecoffee - Waking up with a clear head can't be beaten, so pleased I didn't drink, I'll have to come up with a plan when boredom strikes. Up until then I hadn't realised boredom for me was a trigger.

Have a great day/evening. Keep strong
Old 04-14-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

good day out on the bikes with the gang, great people to be out with as none of them drink so much as a pint and ride, it's all bikers cafe meets, mugs of tea and greasy food!

racked up a good 170 miles, took the Yamaha R1 out for the day, not the most comfortable bike in the world and getting on abit at 14 years old but still astonishingly fast and in pretty good nick for an old girl.

about to start shirt ironing for Monday - 05:30 start which is a sod, still - wraps up the second sober weekend on the trot and Day 12

have a great week all
Old 04-14-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Hey Guys.

Still going strong here. On the not drinking part anyway. Things have ratcheted up a few notches however...in the middle of a lot of work...back home my Grandfather has taken a bit of a turn for the worst.

Looking for flights now. So, to answer some of your questions I live in Hawaii, and I have not always lived here. Wife's work has brought us here, as her field is relatively highly specialized. One of the foremost laboratories for her field is here, on one of the military bases.

So: We're a long way from home and it's difficult at times. Wife is very close to her family. Mine--not so much. But...brother is extremely close to Grandpa and he's taking this really hard. Was home this winter...but am going to need to get back.

When it rains, it pours I suppose.

Brother is probably a borderline alcoholic. We've both had our share of "fun" growing up...and I guess at that time it was fun. As we've aged however...it has become more of a self-medicating thing. I've been on the phone/online gaming with him a lot this weekend...and I can tell if I go home this would be a monumental test.

Hopefully we can be there for each other...and if that means he needs to hit a bar for a bit I hope I can go and just have N/A beer or something.

For me, personally...I really don't want to blow this. Trigger...schmigger. This will be an all out atom bomb. But. I just can't drink. I'll have to dig deep and find a way to get through this without picking up.

Never a good time for someone's illness to get the better of them...but this is especially poignant as I've just today hit 2 weeks. Ugh. Oh well.

My resolve is still really good. There is a 6 pack of nice beers in the fridge for guests, and it's been there for each day of my sobriety. Just because I have issues with alcohol doesn't mean my wife, or our friends do. It's not really talking to me today...but that's because I remember how fresh and good I felt this morning BEFORE the phone call from brother.

That's what I'm taking, and putting in my pocket. The good feeling. Drinking would certainly dull the anxiousness, and overall stress of today...but that's all it would do. Allow me to ignore real feelings like a real person.

I won't drink today. And today will become tomorrow. And so it goes.
Thanks for letting me vent Bandicoots. I hope all of you had a restful, enjoyable weekend.
Blue Dog and I are here pulling for you!
Be Well.
Scoutie
Old 04-14-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

honesty, something i have a really hard time with. I've never considered myself a lier. Just by omission i guess. Now is when i would become quiet and fade to the background. But i can't because i love this site and i really want this. But i caved today. I'm a single mother of 2 girls, one who is ADHD and in her teens really throwing me for a loop. And the other almost 8 who has been a handful forever, ODD, on a behavior plan a school...constant temper tantrums- threw 3 major ones today- in public- i almost made it and let my AV win with 5 min left for alcohol sales in the grocery store. Bought a six pack. I blame them for my stress, but know i can't deal with it unless i'm sober. It's a big circle. I just let the temper tantrums get to me. So back to day 1 tomorrow. Not giving up. Just need to learn from this.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:37 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi wilde - I know a few other mums here dealing with kids with ADHD, special needs and other issues

Why not start a thread on the main boards and get some support and ideas?

D
Old 04-14-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Administrator

ScoutBall

I'm sorry about your grandfather...I think you can go home and be there for your family on your terms tho - you're a non drinker - there's nothing to be ashamed about there and if you don't want to be in a bar, then don't be.

I've been through a similar situation - I don;t mean to sound harsh but I have strong opinions on the subject.

People need support at times like this - someone to talk to.
I'm not sure hanging out with your bro at a bar is support. It might be enabling tho.

D
Old 04-14-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi wilde - I know a few other mums here dealing with kids with ADHD, special needs and other issues

Why not start a thread on the main boards and get some support and ideas?

D
Thanks, i think that's a great idea. I'll do that
Old 04-14-2013, 05:07 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Yep not listening to that voice today! Successful day 3!
Old 04-14-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

I made it through the first weekend sober. Thank you for all of the encouragement. Sunday was kind of the hardest for me. It's always kind of been a low-key day of the week for us. I know I drank sometimes because of boredom.
I focused on deep cleaning my wine cabinet/bar area by polishing it and closing the doors. It was disgusting how many of those little cardboard circles I found laying around from all the wine boxes.
Today I tried to do something real nice for my liver with one of those juice detox diets. So I drank a lot of green stuff, and choked down some kale. Then I found myself snooping through the kitchen looking for calories to eat. I don't think the licorice, cookies, and ice cream helped my liver much today. All well, maybe I should just focus on detoxing one thing at a time for now. Or find a way to juice the licorice and add it to the kale/beet slop...
Old 04-15-2013, 01:44 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Hi guys. I am class of April 2013 too, so I guess you are my peeps. Just successfully completed my day 2. Feeling determined but scared. Hope this post finds you well and sober.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:11 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone, well I had a good weekend, pretty chilled out. So DAY 12 today! Now that im feeling well I have started on a master cleanse detox this morning, just to try and kick this few lbs iv put on since giving up the pills and scoffing every bit of food in sight!
Having a pretty boring day cleaning, doing washing etc which is a shock to my system. Hubby dearest decided a few weeks ago,that as im not working full time (plus my pt job) so i used to work a 55 hour week and now i only do 10 hrs, that he would fire our cleaner/domestic LOL. My teenager does do some cleaning for extra pocket money but to be honest she's not very good at it so I have to re -do!! I have to confess though that I just cant iron, its totally beyond me, & I hate it with a passion, so I have called our old girl and she's going to come by and do the ironing!!! He'l never know Its a bit naughty as the other reason we fired her is because we cant afford her anymore since our financial problems and me dropping my hours. But hey, I just cant iron!! Seriously I do feel a bit guilty, its my fault after all that we are in this bl**dy financial mess.
Its a beautiful day here, suns shining so I might get out for walk/run later, i used to run, 4 years ago before I got on the pills, so Im going to try & build myself back up again. Its been so long iv downloaded the 'couch to running' app to my iphone!!
Scoutie, you live in Hawaii .... thats it, im not speaking to you !!
Mustlovecoffee, We too have to sign an agreement with our agent, if we bring in a second agent you have to pay a higher pecentage to the agent that sells it, so it will cost me more but the other agent im bringing in has a bigger business so the marketing will be better. Your right the competition will make them both 'duke' (like that word) it out so hopefully get things moving. Interesting story re dropping your child off, did it not occur to this mother that you were driving, im assuming you drove there? She was probs being so pushy as well to make herself feel better coz she was drinking right! Isnt it funny how people on 'low carb' diets still drink wine, i have loads of friends who do this ...do they not realise that wine is FULL of carbs!!?
Ladybug2, glad you enjoyed ur date night, I used to feel like this all the time when I was in restaurants, it is irritating watching everyone else drink!
Welcome Citrus, rubycanoe & notsoivory and anyone else new and in the early days. Love & Blessing to everyone else on their continuing journey. xx
Old 04-15-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

I've been counting wrong. This is day 8!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

18 days sober here. I had trouble sleeping again last night. I think it might be nicotine related because I quit smoking for a few days and picked up a pack yesterday. I was sleeping great the days I had no nicotine. That the next thing on my list.

I have a wedding coming up this Saturday that I'm bracing for. I am in the wedding (bridesmaid) so there is no not going to it. I am really just planning what exactly I am going to tell everyone, which is the most annoying part. I'd be fine just not drinking if no one bothered me about it, but I know people will ask.

Other than that, I'm going to try and have a productive day today. Making a list of things I have to do today.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

OK...this is about the 4th time I've joined one of these groups...one of these days it's going to stick......so I guess this makes me class of 15 April 2013..........Hopefully I can say in ten years.....yep.....I quit on Tax Day way back in 2013.......

Day 1 here......signing in and reporting for duty......
Old 04-15-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Wow, last weekend was rough!!!

It started out great. Most productive Saturday I have had in a loooong time. Cleaned the house from top to bottom, went to a health food store and stocked up on goodies. Took a long walk with the family.

Then Sunday came and it was really. really. hard. The baby was screaming just about all day and I hurt myself trying to make lunch. I was in pain mentally and physically the rest of the day.

I really wanted to just say "screw it" and sit on my patio and drink beer. A cold beer sounded so stinking good I could barely stand it. I told myself if I still wanted one on Monday I would have one. So today is Day 15 and part of me wants one still...tbh. But a bigger part of me doesn't want to live this way anymore.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Hi All, I think it's about time I made another good go at living sober.

I made it almost 3 months and told myself I was ok to drink, in the last 21 days I have drunk 13 times, 13 hang over but because nothing serious has hapened I'm not to sure I ready to give it 100%.

However the smallest part of me says I need to quit now before it gets out of hand, so if you will have me I would like to be a part of the April class and move through the days here with everyone here.

xxx
Old 04-15-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

I'm here.
Bumps and briuses along the way but I'm (back) on day 2. What a rough ride this is. Saturday was horrible, or I should say Sat night/most of Sunday was. I don't understand why drinking seems like the best way to counter depression when I know alcohol is a depressive.
Ugh.
Wish me luck everyone, I do feel better today about being sober, but I'm horribly depressed.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
I'm here.
Bumps and briuses along the way but I'm (back) on day 2. What a rough ride this is. Saturday was horrible, or I should say Sat night/most of Sunday was. I don't understand why drinking seems like the best way to counter depression when I know alcohol is a depressive.
Ugh.
Wish me luck everyone, I do feel better today about being sober, but I'm horribly depressed.
It's crazy how alcohol can make you more depressed and more anxious yet it's what we reach for to get relief from depression and anxiety. So crazy. It's such a temporary relief though, then you are back to those feelings except they are amplified.

Two weeks sober here and the reduction in anxiety is significant. Ride it out and it will get better. Also, consider talking about your depression with a doctor. They can help a lot.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HopeSho View Post
It's crazy how alcohol can make you more depressed and more anxious yet it's what we reach for to get relief from depression and anxiety. So crazy. It's such a temporary relief though, then you are back to those feelings except they are amplified.

Two weeks sober here and the reduction in anxiety is significant. Ride it out and it will get better. Also, consider talking about your depression with a doctor. They can help a lot.
Thanks.
I actually went to the doc last week before this latest relapse but didn't bring up the depressive feelings I have. I come across as very happy and perky to strangers so it just seemed like he'd never believe me. But at least I went and got a fairly clean bill of health alought my BP was high(for me.) I'm sure that's drinking related. He did prescibe some anti anxiety meds so I have those to take on an as needed basis. So far I've only taken 2.

I guess I will just ride it out and see how I feel in a couple weeks.