Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 10

Old 04-15-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by Panache View Post
Geek you carry on purging your feelings on this thread as much as you like. It is a group discussion, so what may work for some won't work for others and I'm sure none of us are ignorant enough to dismiss that. We are all wired differently.

If one thing SR has taught me, is that everyone's opinion is valued, respected and ought to be heard. The fact that no one gets left behind is sheer testimony to this.

So whether you're angry, hitting a low point or in the highs of euphoria, be confident in posting it on here as there will always be someone in the same situation. That's what happens when you have such an eclectic mix of individually wonderful people.
thank you for saying that Panache----I agree 100%---I'm very grateful for a site like this to vent on---and I do respect everyones opinion. Also some of the opinions have really helped me through some tough times and kept me sober ta boot !!!!!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Babs1234 View Post

thank you for saying that Panache----I agree 100%---I'm very grateful for a site like this to vent on---and I do respect everyones opinion. Also some of the opinions have really helped me through some tough times and kept me sober ta boot !!!!!
You're welcome sweetheart.

Again, what you say is testimony to the effectiveness of what the people collectively bring here.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Oh thank Buddha somebody said something. Thanks Panache! I was about ready to yell where's Dee and Toots when we need them!! North!!! Trachy!! Tell a joke or something.

I repeat what I have said before. I don't drink nor will I start drinking because of anything anyone says here. I can choose from those 2 options all by myself. I will not tell anyone what I think they need to do unless asked and even then I will try my best to put it in a way that is just my truth. I will not apologize for me being who I am because it isn't working for someone else. If I need something I will ask for it and those who wish to offer their support and wisdom...thank you...if for whatever reason you don't, thats ok too..thank you for still being here. You are just as important and just as wise.
These are just my guidelines...you all can have your own. It's your right. If I can't relate to what someone shares I will either just let it be or I will try to look at it again to figure out my own lesson in it.
And that's all I got to say about that. xoxo
Old 04-15-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Back to day 1 here all. Had two weeks under my belt, decided it would be a good idea to drink after the football match, felt I 'deserved it', witnessing that match live would be enough to drive anyone to drink. Anyway i'm still proud I did two weeks, i'm back again ready to go. And no, it wasn't me punching the horse, before any of you ask...

Anyway, life in general has been stressful as hell the past week or so, my dissertation deadline is 2 weeks away and I can't switch off, so i'm back off to the docs tomorrow to see if we can change meds again or something. I get so confused overthinking it sometimes. I'm 21, haven't had years of serious alcohol abuse, but I've still abused it and it's caused my life to be pretty unmanageable at times, so it's not an option to drink, I know that.

Anyway, self indulgent post is over, I'll be back in an hour or so after some food (IM STILL EATING THAT SODDING CHILLI!) and a bit more dissertation work to contribute something helpful!

B
Old 04-15-2013, 12:13 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrbeagle View Post
Back to day 1 here all. Had two weeks under my belt, decided it would be a good idea to drink after the football match, felt I 'deserved it', witnessing that match live would be enough to drive anyone to drink. Anyway i'm still proud I did two weeks, i'm back again ready to go. And no, it wasn't me punching the horse, before any of you ask...

Anyway, life in general has been stressful as hell the past week or so, my dissertation deadline is 2 weeks away and I can't switch off, so i'm back off to the docs tomorrow to see if we can change meds again or something. I get so confused overthinking it sometimes. I'm 21, haven't had years of serious alcohol abuse, but I've still abused it and it's caused my life to be pretty unmanageable at times, so it's not an option to drink, I know that.

Anyway, self indulgent post is over, I'll be back in an hour or so after some food (IM STILL EATING THAT SODDING CHILLI!) and a bit more dissertation work to contribute something helpful!

B
Beagle I for one am glad you're back.
I'll message you now with some updates and reply to your last one.

Never punch the horse in the face and start waking
Old 04-15-2013, 12:23 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Ben, if you are waiting for Newcastle success before you quit drinking sweetheart,......... Erm speechless!!!

Not for long tho! Sort yourself out young lad, you have made a start, now get with the programme!
Seriously Ben, you know alcohol is a problem so no, it was not a good idea to drink after the game. There will be lots of time you need comfort, there will be times you want to celebrate. You say you don't have years of alcohol abuse as if you have something to apologise for. you are so with it to recognise so early on that you have a problem and so brave to admit it and want to deal with it. Man alive! It took me decades and a life put on hold.
Get your meds sorted out, get your dissertation under way and get whatever help you need to stay focussed and stay sober. Does your doctor know about your drinking? If not, tomorrow is the perfect time to approach it and get what help he can give. Make sure he takes you seriously.
Be strong wee man, you are one of us, and we will be here, if you are ready.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Ben, if you are waiting for Newcastle success before you quit drinking sweetheart,......... Erm speechless!!!
I felt the same with Liverpool, I had to admit to myself that (for now - naive optimism) this was as good as it was going to get and in the words of Brendan Rogers, it was "ok". (If you've watched any Rogers interview you'll get that, otherwise it is wasted -apologies none football folk)
Old 04-15-2013, 12:39 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Not for long tho! Sort yourself out young lad, you have made a start, now get with the programme!
Seriously Ben, you know alcohol is a problem so no, it was not a good idea to drink after the game. There will be lots of time you need comfort, there will be times you want to celebrate. You say you don't have years of alcohol abuse as if you have something to apologise for. you are so with it to recognise so early on that you have a problem and so brave to admit it and want to deal with it. Man alive! It took me decades and a life put on hold.
Get your meds sorted out, get your dissertation under way and get whatever help you need to stay focussed and stay sober. Does your doctor know about your drinking? If not, tomorrow is the perfect time to approach it and get what help he can give. Make sure he takes you seriously.
Be strong wee man, you are one of us, and we will be here, if you are ready.
Thanks toots, you have a fantastic way with words as always. Shall unleash myself like a mackem in Greggs in that doctors office tomorrow. They know all about it yes, but i'm gonna ask to get some more counselling cause it really helped last time

The last time Newcastle won a trophy, a man named Neil was prancing about in a daft suit on the moon!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Sass, you are one of the few with a right to be somewhat self concerned right now, dealing as you are with your own health issues. X!
Nice of you to say, Toots. There are always others with worse problems. Mine seem pretty tame compared to Donal's. My life could be a lot worse than it is.

S
Old 04-15-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Northlander View Post
Sassy, my friend, good luck with the surgery and I hope you shrink your liver like a bar mitzvah balloon with a fast leak.

Still and all, no drinkies and no smokies for yours truly, so 40+ days free from booze and 76 days free from cancer sticks.
North, oh my! A bar mitzvah balloon with a fast leak! Lovely! Hopefully my liver will do a number like that (giggles)!

Congrats on the "no drinkies, no smokies" for a good long time!

Hugs,
Sassy
Old 04-15-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

So, quick question, do any of you know anything about Massachusetts or Maine?
Hubby just asked how I'd feel about moving there for a couple of years for his work!!
Old 04-15-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Hubby just asked how I'd feel about moving there for a couple of years for his work!!
Yeah, Toots, I've lived in both. I think you'd like Maine -- lots of rugged individualists. Massachusetts is a good place but it may depend on where. if you have specific questions, feel free to PM.

Sassy
Old 04-15-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Toots i've got family in Boston, they absolutely love it over there. Hoping to save up some dosh to visit. Sounds like it could be a great trip for you and your hubby.

Horrible news what has happened there today however, nowhere is safe these days.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

First of all -- heartbroken over my beloved Boston

I am from New England it's just gorgeous. I just got back from Boston and can't get enough of that city (still in shock). My niece lives there (she's safe) and I visit whenever I can. Maine is beyond beautiful. Some of the most beautiful coastline in the country. It gets super cold but I think you'd like both. Sounds exciting!!!!
Old 04-15-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Lordy, just seeing the news about the explosions in Boston, even as I was looking to see if I wanted to move there!!
Old 04-15-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

toots----boy !!! that's awful---how sad. I feel bad for them.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  
Sober Date: March 10, 2013

Originally Posted by Mrbeagle View Post
Anyway, self indulgent post is over...
My goodness, I hope that's the last time someone says that!

We are all here to share and be as self indulgent in our posts about our drinking issues as we need to be. My goodness, that's what this site is for!!

I relate to you Geek, I'm glad you're here and I appreciate all the intimate details you have shared thus far. Know you are helping me by sharing you.

Can we all please get back to being self indulgent now??
Old 04-15-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

MrB if you want some variety have your chili Cincinnati style...with spaghetti.

Prayers for Boston.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your posts,heck this gives me food for thought. If it was only about me and hubby, it would be a really exciting opportunity too good to miss. Unfortunately there are many other considerations, not least My sweet avatar!
We have adult children ( who never stop being your kids) a 7 year old grandson we see all the time.
We have ageing parents with health issues
I would have to give up the job I love
So you see, really not straight forward!
I will need to sleep on it.
At least I will make the decision sober!! r.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:15 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Hello my friends: I have not had a chance to catch up on 2 days of posts but I will.

I just need to get this off my chest because less than 2 minutes ago I was chilling a beer in the freezer as well as a nice frosty mug. Today was actually less stressful than usual and driving home from work I decided, then and there, in the car, that I was drinking that 16 oz beer I've been hiding in my closet. I put it in the freezer 45 minutes ago and that was that- I was doing it. Just one beer, I deserve it. I really don't have a problem, I just needed to stop for a while to lose some weight. Right? Wrong. I thought of my 40 + days of not drinking, how good I feel when I wake up, how much better every single thing in my life is when I don't drink. One beer? I already was telling myself that I could always just run out for another four pack if I "needed" to.

I'm not doing it. I dumped the beer, I'm drinking some hot tea and I'm spilling my guts to all of you because I know you understand and realize how big of a deal this is. I also thought of all of you and how we are all struggling in our own way and I want to stay strong, to be able to help people someday, and not go back to day one.

Why today? I don't know. All I can think of is that part of me does not feel deserving of how good things are going and how good I feel, that I want to sabotage it, subconsciously. I found out some really good financial news today (I'm a single mother, a teacher, and totally live paycheck to paycheck)..maybe that's part of it too- a celebration.

Sorry this is so long-winded and self-absorbed. I'm glad I somehow pulled through, but I'm scared out my mind that I gave my addicted self that much power. I'm going to put on my PJ's, read, watch TV and probably break down and cry to myself. I know it's a good thing that I stopped myself, but right now it doesn't feel so good.