Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 10

Old 04-15-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

FBL, well done for coming to your senses in time. Something you said about being self destructive and not believeing yourself worthy of nice things happening, will send echoes through most of us reading it. Whether it is the type of person who is drawn to destructive addictions, or whether the addiction itself works against our self esteem, I have seen and personally experience time and again that feeling of self destruction and the lack of self esteem. Go look at yourself in the mirror. Look yourself in the eye and tell yourself out loud " I am a good person. I am worthy of being loved. I deserve a good life. I love my self today"
Repeat twice daily or more frequently if required!
Old 04-15-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Brilliant stuff! Flip it FBL - what you've just done took real courage. Don't dwell on the "what was I doing?" Focus on the "Look what I just did!"

And you'll wake up tomorrow and be able to look your mirror reflection right in the eyes and smile, knowing that you do have the inner-strength to come out on top of any dicey situation you walk across.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Thank you everyone for your posts,heck this gives me food for thought. If it was only about me and hubby, it would be a really exciting opportunity too good to miss. Unfortunately there are many other considerations, not least My sweet avatar!
We have adult children ( who never stop being your kids) a 7 year old grandson we see all the time.
We have ageing parents with health issues
I would have to give up the job I love
So you see, really not straight forward!
I will need to sleep on it.
At least I will make the decision sober!! r.
Ah - my first thought was about Molly. She would have to be quarantined to go home if you took her, yes? A lot to consider! When do they need an answer? I know you will make the right decision. Keep us posted...
Old 04-15-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Wow FBL! So impressed with your strength. You did the right thing - take it from me - I am suffering from the consequences of giving in yesterday.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  
Administrator

Guys,

I appreciated the original point Toots made.

I appreciate passion, I appreciate plain talking - but there's plain talking and then there's something else.

We set these threads up as support networks - for everyone, not just for those of you who get it right first time.

It's my job to make everyone feel welcome, and some of you are making that a little hard with the posts today.

Not everyone responds to the Chuck Norris approach.

Frankly, right or not, back in 07 that would have turned me off SR and back to my BS.

A little compassion and empathy is not a weakness.

If you have issues with posts or posters, use the ignore function.

D
Old 04-15-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

What doesn't feel good, FBL?

You should be screaming like Mel Gibson in Braveheart after winning that battle.

WAY TO GO!
Old 04-15-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
Hello my friends: I have not had a chance to catch up on 2 days of posts but I will.

I just need to get this off my chest because less than 2 minutes ago I was chilling a beer in the freezer as well as a nice frosty mug. Today was actually less stressful than usual and driving home from work I decided, then and there, in the car, that I was drinking that 16 oz beer I've been hiding in my closet. I put it in the freezer 45 minutes ago and that was that- I was doing it. Just one beer, I deserve it. I really don't have a problem, I just needed to stop for a while to lose some weight. Right? Wrong. I thought of my 40 + days of not drinking, how good I feel when I wake up, how much better every single thing in my life is when I don't drink. One beer? I already was telling myself that I could always just run out for another four pack if I "needed" to.

I'm not doing it. I dumped the beer, I'm drinking some hot tea and I'm spilling my guts to all of you because I know you understand and realize how big of a deal this is. I also thought of all of you and how we are all struggling in our own way and I want to stay strong, to be able to help people someday, and not go back to day one.

Why today? I don't know. All I can think of is that part of me does not feel deserving of how good things are going and how good I feel, that I want to sabotage it, subconsciously. I found out some really good financial news today (I'm a single mother, a teacher, and totally live paycheck to paycheck)..maybe that's part of it too- a celebration.

Sorry this is so long-winded and self-absorbed. I'm glad I somehow pulled through, but I'm scared out my mind that I gave my addicted self that much power. I'm going to put on my PJ's, read, watch TV and probably break down and cry to myself. I know it's a good thing that I stopped myself, but right now it doesn't feel so good.
You're awesome . . congrats!
Old 04-15-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Thanks to everybody. Northlander, you are so funny.

Natty, thank you for the clarification. I genuinely appreciate that.

Panache, you're the best.

Dee, sorry to have muddied the waters today. I guess you could say that all families have their moments. We came together, discussed our concerns intelligently and have lovingly moved on in harmony. I'd call that progress on several levels. I actually have a new found respect for many in this room and feel closer to them as a result.

March On!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  
greenturtle

Just passed the 30 day mark yesterday! Very happy. Life is good. Can't say the AV is going away but I ignore it when it pops in. Hope you guys and gals are doing well in your sobriety too
Old 04-15-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  

FBL you made a good decision by taking control, good for you!

North Americans I'm so sorry to hear about Boston.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Hi Marchers,

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Not much happening around me over the weekend, got some yardwork done. No cravings and AV must have gone on vacation. ( Hope it stays away)

Stay Strong

Ken
Old 04-15-2013, 05:38 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Day 29! Hells yeah!

Today I am spending all day in the library studying human chromosomes. Wooohoo. *sarcasm*
Old 04-15-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Good night, Marchers!

Some controversy today but it sounds like things are ending up ok. Geek, I'm very happy to hear that it sounds like you will be staying with us. We are all different and there are similarities and differences in our journeys. We all have the same goal: to stay sober and hence to grow as individuals into people we can be proud of. No matter what, we are all worthwhile! There is so much support on SR!

FBL, incredible job on pouring out the beer! I don't know if I could do that yet with something in my home. I'm still in a spot where I can't have any alcohol in the house at all and I need to accept that it will very likely always be that way.

Lots of love to all!
Sassy
Old 04-15-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats kellyg

D
Old 04-15-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  

FBL, may I say that you totally rock!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Heartbroken over Boston.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  
Administrator

half a world away, but me too.

D
Old 04-15-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
What doesn't feel good, FBL?

You should be screaming like Mel Gibson in Braveheart after winning that battle.

WAY TO GO!
Didn't he and his band also moon the opposition in that movie??
Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberjanedoe View Post
Day 29! Hells yeah!

Today I am spending all day in the library studying human chromosomes. Wooohoo. *sarcasm*
That actually sounds more fun than what I did. File my taxes.
Congratulation on the 29 SJD!!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:47 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BuddinK View Post
Hi Marchers,

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Not much happening around me over the weekend, got some yardwork done. No cravings and AV must have gone on vacation. ( Hope it stays away)

Stay Strong

Ken
Isn't yard work in the Keys raking sand and trimming a few mangroves?? That's funny. You live where everyone wants to go on vacation but your AV took one. I hope it went to Siberia never to be seen again.