Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 10

Old 04-12-2013, 06:09 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Checking in on Day 5.

I'm still counting. I don't know, it kinda makes me feel like I'm slacking or being apathetic if I don't stay on top of it, although I'm not sure it's productive in any real way. I guess if nothing else I do want to know when I've surpassed my previous mark.

Anyhoo, I'm going to meet my senior, Barbara (I'm volunteering to spend at least an hour each week with a senior in need of companionship, transportation, general support), face-to-face for the first time. She needs to go to the bank, so it's not like we're going skydiving or anything, but helping our seniors get their mundane stuff done is one of reasons for being there.

Planning a trip to the farmers market in the morning (it's within easy walking distance, which is awesome). Going to visit a friend on Sunday. Hope to get a walk/jog in both Saturday and Sunday.

Love and strength to all my fellow Marchers -- make it a booze-free Friday and weekend!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
I thought that's what children and monkeys were for.
Unfortunately Trachy due to legislation for the rights of children and animals, we are no longer allowed to use them for forced labour.
I miss the old days!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Unfortunately Trachy due to legislation for the rights of children and animals, we are no longer allowed to use them for forced labour.
I miss the old days!!!
Oh, put me in a fugue why don't you.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:49 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  
greenturtle

HI Marchers - Just checking in to see how everyone is doing...day 26 for me. Been busy writing my research paper but see end in sight finally

Best to everyone and stay sober
Old 04-12-2013, 08:04 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Hello sober people, this is my 14th day. 2 weeks have passed since my last binge and guess what? I seem to have more money left in my pocket. Tomorrow is Saturday, the day I would drink from morning till I pass out in the evening so I'll need all my shields up. Thanks each one of you for your posts. Has any one talked to Panche or MrBeagle?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Good Morning Every One---Today is day 40 for me and doing well.
Thank you to Grace and Toots for the advice on venting. It does feel
good to put it down in writing. Isn't it funny how sometimes we think it's all about us? Geez, I sometimes just don't see the light. Thanks for the reminder.
Stay strong everyone and have a great sober week-end.
Just tell that AV to get lost. We have better things to do.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArgentOfSilvae View Post
Morning Marchers,

Just checking in, still sober but smoked a joint last night. Putting this down to the sheer lack of planning I get so hung up on not drinking that I don't do anything else. Nothing to be done but fix that.

So what y'all got planned for the weekend, here's my list:

1. Scrub the kitchen within an inch of its life.
2. Give the kitchen a lick of fresh paint.
3. Go to range to buy a white board for previously mentioned now shiny kitchen
4. Fill said whiteboard with next weeks meal plan (as I am eating to late and when I am hungry i confuse hunger with wanting a drink)
5. Go through the "back of beyond" and take all the cr@p to the local tip
6. Put some of the cr@p people might want on eBay
7. Fix my bath plug issue (can't afford a plumber)
8. Do all the other house work (washing, cleaning ect)

AoS
Wow AoS!
Will you marry me? You are my dream guy. Do you cook?
Old 04-12-2013, 08:46 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bepresent View Post
Yay Toots! Huge congratulations on four weeks
yeah Toots-----congrats.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bepresent View Post
It felt really good to share because for so long I felt like a complete monster, hiding this shameful behaviour.
I'm glad you shared too BP. It does feel good. I can really relate to what you said. I fell in love with alcohol the minute our lips met. "Hello Lover, where you been all my life??" I didn't drink till I was in college so I was a late bloomer too. It's weird to me that alcohol was always "the one". I tried pretty much all the different substances out there at the time...everything short of a hypodermic needle..and thank god, back then if there was any meth or anything like that going around, I didn't hear or know about it. Still, not a one of the disco era drugs were my thing at all. Nothing was my thing except alcohol. We were made for each other. He was a taker....I was a giver.

I like how you used the past tense "felt" like a complete monster in your post. It's lifting isn't it? I don't feel like that big Loser is on my forehead anymore. A loser is just someone who has lost something. If I've lost anything, it wasn't anything that can't be replaced or even replaced with something better.

We are not monsters. We are not losers. We never were.

I'm finding that my liquid spine is actually turning into a real backbone. Some days I don't feel all that great and sometimes real life kinda of sucks but holy schnikeys, it sure as sh*t is better than what I had before.

Here's to another weekend! xxx and a couple of o's.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Thank you shoes---I love the possitive attitude.
Makes a person feel stronger.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

4 weeks Toots!!! That is fantastic!!! Congratulations!

We don't have chips in Marcherland but here is
One banana for each week!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Babs1234 View Post
Thank you shoes---I love the possitive attitude.
Makes a person feel stronger.
That feeling is just YOU being stronger Babs. You always were. It was always there. xxxx
Old 04-12-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Hey guys

Just letting you know I'm thinking of you and wish you safe and pleasant personal journeys this weekend.

If you're struggling, dig deep and find that inner strength. Confront your failings and challenge them head on. Don't just mouth platitudes that "this time it's going to be different." Actually get up and make it so it is different.

And remember that once you've admitted there is a problem, it's never the same again if you drift back in to your old ways. Even the last tiny vestiges of pleasure that you were able to wring out of your addiction just don't exist any more. You're left with another heavy doze of self-loathing for under-achieving on your goal.

And self-loathing is one of the fundamental traits that need immediate fixing for an addict.

In the words of the ever-wise Toots, "If we can't loves ourselves, why should we expect anyone else to?"

Read that again and again and BELIEVE.

Respect and all

NT
Old 04-12-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Oh, put me in a fugue why don't you.
I know! I almost swooned when I realised I could no longer shove skinny boys up a chimney!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Thank you Natty, I may have to start being civil to you! And empty your pm box there's one waiting!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:37 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

for Babs too!!
Old 04-12-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Thank you for the banana boys Shoes, they are my favourites!!
There is so much positivity on this site over the last 24 hours, everyone seems to be taking steps to keep control of their sober futures. I love that! We can have as many shots at sobriety as we need, but if we manage to nail it now, no more hangover, no more self loathing, no more broken promises, no day ones. Now doesn't that sound great peeps?
At long last we really can start to rebuild our self respect, live the life we want and love ourselves.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JCMalta View Post
Hello sober people, this is my 14th day.
for JC!!! Congratulations!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Hi Sober Marchers

Well, more snow here again today. This NEVER gets old.

Bepresent, Shoes, and others – I love reading your posts and hearing your stories. One of the reasons I keep checking in every day even if I don’t post is being reminded that I am not some loser-freak-of-nature, that this is an addiction and that there are others out there like me. I liked when we posted our photos because it was good to be reminded that you can’t always spot the alkie. We are such a normal (and yes, wildly attractive) looking group. Even the turtle looks like a regular turtle, not your skid-row variety turtle.

Toots big congrats on 4 weeks, my friend. Molly must be thrilled with you! JC congrats on 14 days! Sandgirl, I’m assuming blitzing the garden means you gardened. Blitzing means something a bit different over here. Ken, congrats on not drinking over it. Argent, I like your to-do list. One of my triggers for drinking is boredom, and with this winter there were plenty of opportunities for cabin-fever binges. Keeping a schedule really helps. And Natty, you are correct, I often used self-recrimination as an excuse to drink (“I’m a failure, so what the hell, might as well get loaded” – that sort of thing). Mick you sound great and thanks for always being so encouraging – and Dee – you rock always.

Sassy, your comment got me thinking about the folks who posted earlier in the month of March and who haven’t posted in a while. If you are lurking peeps, please let post once in a while so we know how you’re doing. Being the nosey person I am, I checked out the April class and saw some of our Marchers have joined that class after slips, so good on em.

I haven’t seen Ben, Panache, James and some others around for a few days. Hope you all are well – missing your posts.

Snagglepuss, love ya and with you for the struggle. Stay with us my buddy. Although our friendships are virtual and new, they have helped me so much – this is the group I am honest with. It makes a huge difference.

Anyone I missed – sorry! Still catching up on posts after an endurance contest of a week at work.

So 73 days without the cigarettes and 40+ days without the booze for yours truly. What’s a northern dude supposed to do for fun? Oh yeah, live my life.

Big love to all – dogs send you their best.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Oh, north, they are adorable! I want to kiss their smoochy muzzles! Will just have to kiss my Molly instead! And yes she is very proud of her mummy!