Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 10

Old 04-15-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Toots thanks for reading and you are right - it certainly stopped me in my tracks and made me think how lucky I am. I shall be a "whinge free zone" from now on - or at least I will think twice about moaning and feeling sorry for myself
Old 04-15-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Snaggle, I read it too, it keeps everything in perspective and hardens my resolve to keep on doing my best everyday...
Old 04-15-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing that link, Snaggle. Such an inspiring story, but also sad beyond words for Donal, his family and friends. We are so fortunate that we do have a choice regarding the outcome of our illness. I thought Donal's message to teenagers contemplating suicide also is relevant to alcoholics:

So please, as a 16-year-old who has no say in his death sentence, who has no choice in the pain he is about to cause and who would take any chance at even a few more months on this planet, appreciate what you have, know that there are always other options and help is always there.

Thanks again for sharing this, Snaggle - I'm going to go give my daughter an extra tight hug now! x
Old 04-15-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Snaggle,thanks so much for the link. Donal's story is incredibly inspiring. It makes me realize how truly fortunate I am.

Toots and RaggedyMan, your comments are right on!

Panache, so glad to see you back.

AoS, so sorry you had a tough weekend.

JC, congrats on your third consecutive sober weekend!

Jane, woohoo! Good on you :-)

Geek, Shoes, BP, and e very one else, have a great Monday!

Hugs,
Sassy
Old 04-15-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oocleanchickoo View Post
I didn't think I could get through today. I had thoughts of pawning my gucci purse so I could buy a pookie and buy a bag of dope. From who? I have no idea. I just want to use constantly. I have been clean for almost 6 months from drugs but had a slip of beer a few weeks ago. But it's been a slippery slope that I want to do more of a high.
Hang in there . . . stay on the forum for support!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Day 17 . . lots of water and exercise . . .did eat some bad stuff (popcorn w/ butter) when I took the kids to see "42" . . great movie btw!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:59 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Sass, you are one of the few with a right to be somewhat self concerned right now, dealing as you are with your own health issues. X

Boysdad! Hang you head in shame! Popcorn? With butter? I bet you put salt or sugar on it too!
Drop and give me 50!!!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:09 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
you are the darling of the thread
Can we make that official?

I have missed you all very much, promise I won't neglect you ever again.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Sass, you are one of the few with a right to be somewhat self concerned right now, dealing as you are with your own health issues. X

Boysdad! Hang you head in shame! Popcorn? With butter? I bet you put salt or sugar on it too!
Drop and give me 50!!!
Lol....I hit the gym right after the movie . . .I burned a little off there!
Old 04-15-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Panache View Post

I have missed you all very much, promise I won't neglect you ever again.
2nd the motion.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Morning all

Snaggle - that is what I call a worthwhile contribution. Very moving.

This is just my personal take but I'm going to echo what Toots said and perhaps be even more forceful about it.

This forum is about support - it's about supporting each other through what can be a difficult transition when we make the decision to ditch substances that we use, if we're honest, for no other purpose apart form self-medication and escape. Escape from our responsibilities to ourselves and to others.

This place is not set-up to be a one-way pity fest. Too often there are people around this forum that treat it as such. They don't give anything back, they just come on and pour out endless streams of self-absorbed "woe is me."

I don't want to read that sh!t, to be honest. I want to come on to a place where I get the feeling that the more introspective contributions are backed by a sincere commitment to put whatever your poison is down. And to tell us all what you are doing to ensure that is the case and what is working for you. If you have that desire, then I think every one of us will recognize that in you and do all we can to get you over any difficulties you encounter. If not, you'll excuse us if we get a little tired at your apparent unwillingness to do all that this takes.

Just NT's thoughts for a Monday morning. Go battle the demons, folks. Man the ramparts and defend your personal fiefdom as if your very life depends on it - which for many of us, it does.

Love and all

NT
Old 04-15-2013, 07:30 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Natty - well said. All the points you make, I have been guilty of - but no more.

Time to get up and serious.

I'm sure that Donal wishes that he only had an addiction to fight - sounds like he would have it beat hands down.

Take care all xx
Old 04-15-2013, 07:33 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Panache View Post
Goes without saying!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Geek said: “I have to be 100% dry or I'm 100% back in the bottle.” Amen, sister! (says the agnostic)

MeSoSober said: “…maybe I would've caught juuuuuust enough of a buzz to want to keep it going after my neighbor left, in which case the liquor store (the HARD liquor store, mind) was just on the next block around the corner. It COULD have ended that way. So in the moment I felt like I was being overcautious saying "no" to that "safe" glass o two of wine, but in retrospect it could've been very, very dangerous indeed.” You got that right, sister. I learned this with cigarettes. When I decided to blow my 12-year smoke quit, the one “safe” smoke was followed by six years of unsafe ones and thousands of dollars flushed down the crapper.

Big Love to my Sober Marchers on this cold, snowy day…. Babs, do you have the same thing going on in the Dakotas? Panache, welcome back! You are the alcoholic girl-next-door that we all love! Toots, I must say, you are also the darling of the Sober Marchers. Natty is more of our group’s “Pollyanna”, just a bit too sweet to everyone and too wholesome to be believed (kidding because I love your post about self-pity dumpers who don’t give anything back – I quit my stop smoking boards because of this). Sassy, my friend, good luck with the surgery and I hope you shrink your liver like a bar mitzvah balloon with a fast leak. Marcher13 THANK YOU for the dog photo! You may have noticed I love dogs (winky-thing here).

Mick, Forabetterlife, Raggedyman, NewDay, Bepresent, JC, Shoes (glad I make you laugh – you make me laugh, too), Trach, FeenixRising, and Ken, you sound good my friends. SoberJaneDoe, it sounds like you are doing all the right things to take care of yourself – congrats. Lifeplant, glad you are on the bus with us, and please feel free to post – I love hearing from you. Argent, sounds like a tough weekend BUT YOU DIDN’T DRINK!! A good weekend, indeed. MrB, we don’t get coronation street, but we do watch East Enders which I have been addicted to since it premiered, although I do miss Pauline. Clight, have you started working? Sandgirl, I am going to try the chamomile and honey tea – sleep is STILL a huge problem for me… Duffster, you are educating me about sports – I associate football and baseball with drinking (along with bowling, basketball, tiddley-winks, just about everything, really) but polo is a new one to me. Toots, I lived in Philadelphia for a while and their fans have the nastiest reputation in the States – reputedly, they would boo Santa Claus. Years ago, when their kicker (who was born with half a foot) missed the field goal, they chanted “Dump the Stump!” True story.

A Snaggle-Hug to my Snagglepuss. Black, glad you are with us.

BoysDad – popcorn WITH butter???? Dear God, are you okay? Pffffft. I have gained 17 pounds since I stopped smoking/drinking in spite of weightlifting and walking my dogs until I have to carry them home. Sorry to be sassy, but I eat everything in sight since I stopped smoking, including large chunks of North America.

Ai-yii-yii this weekend. Lots of social events and the sound of a cocktail shaker can reduce me to a puddle on the floor. But I did not drink. Went to an awards ceremony for regional writers on Saturday and the waitron kept coming by to refill wine glasses (red or white?) but was stymied by the fact I wasn’t drinking and brought me a big-boy glass of lemonade (but no high chair or bib) which never got refilled over the course of the evening, while the wine flowed freely. Can’t blame her, it WAS a gathering of authors so wine was probably considered a soft drink. Felt a little sorry for myself. I know: a novelist of Irish descent who is an alcoholic??? What are the odds?!

Still and all, no drinkies and no smokies for yours truly, so 40+ days free from booze and 76 days free from cancer sticks.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:30 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

North - great post! Hugs back at ya! xx

And well done on 40+ days AND 76 days smoke free x
Old 04-15-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Snaggle, thanks for posting the link to Donal's story. Certainly does put things in perspective. My heart just aches for him and his family.

So I crashed and burned yesterday. Took me a bit by surprise too. Of course I'm disappointed in myself but I'm choosing to look at this as part of the process. I didn't set out to drink but we were socializing and it just seemed like the most natural thing in the world. I'm paying the price today - I feel, well you all know how I feel. Even have the shakes.

It's too much too soon. I'm not ready for certain social situations. So I guess a word of caution to everyone - it can sneak up on you. I truly believe (for me at least) that you have to change your lifestyle - even if that means staying home and not seeing certain friends - this is the part I'm having the most difficult time with.

You've all been wonderful and I've gained so much from each and every one of you but I guess I now have to head to the April thread where I will start from scratch, hopefully with some lessons learned. Good luck to you all!!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Hello there North: thanks for the great thread.
Yes, the weather here is the same----Good lord, we sure have
had our share of snow. I'm going on 6 weeks today and darn proud
of it and proud of everyone out there that is on same road. Hang in there and be strong. I love this site.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Northlander View Post
Panache, welcome back! You are the alcoholic girl-next-door that we all love!
That's how I intend to market myself in the near future during social situations.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi Natty, yes dear, you do put things more forcefully than me, but I look at it as good cop/ bad cop! There is nothing but truth in what you say and there can be too much navel gazing and not enough honest commitment.
Panache, honey, if I write it, it IS official!!
North, please don't ever, ever leave us! Otherwise I would need to find out where you live and stalk you( and as there sounds a darn sight colder than even here, I may have to borrow your dogs to keep warm) you would have a lot more than drunken writers to worry about, that's for sure!

Duffster, we do have to make changes in our lives, as mentioned before, if we are to maintain our sobriety. You were caught unawares, it happens. You do not have to leave us, but I would recommend checking in on the April thread as well, as you may learn more ways of making sure it won't happen again. Are you truly ready yet to accept life without alcohol?
We all have to be if we are to succeed.
Babs, you have every right to be 'darn proud' of yourself!! You are doing great!
To everyone else,
Be strong, be safe, be sober
Old 04-15-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  
sober date 4th march 2013

Good Afternoon Marchers
Panache Lovely to hear from you again
Thanks for the post snagglepuss, very inspiring
Northlander your posts are superb...Marchers Oscar Wilde!
Duffster.....joining April....wash your mouth out with soap!!....once a Marcher always a Marcher!!!!!
Natty and Toots thank you for your blunt post reference negativity, totally concur.

Mrb....Newcastle....nuff said
Babbs 6 weeks....me too

Sassy, Shoes, Geek, Clight, Boysdad, Mesoso, Bepresent, Marcher13, Sandgirl, AoS, Dee, Phebie and anyone that I have missed...LOVE TO YOU ALL

Mick x