Notices

Class of January 2013 pt 4

Old 01-27-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dorris View Post
I am pleased to say I have made it through another weekend sober.
So happy for you, Dorris! Your story is inspiring. Just so good to hear that you rose up against such strong forces and refused to take a drink. Awesome!
Old 01-27-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rubycanoe View Post
guess I am back on day 2 as I restarted yesterday.
That's tough for you, rubycanoe. Maybe time to see a dr? Keep posting and hang in there. We're all on your side.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyTimeNow View Post
To think that I was worried about drinking tonight... I've only just sat down! I have had such a brilliant day.
Way to go, MTN! You did it. So happy for you!
Old 01-27-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by woodhead View Post
Day 15 here. Made it through the weekend at my hunting camp without drinking.
Knew you could do it, woodhead! Good for you!
Old 01-27-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

what do u do while staying away from alcohol and drugs and you meet someone who is a heavy partier( i think just on the weekends).
but just found out they like a spliff every now and again.

but hopefully they can respect my choices but ive been there before where a love interest can knock me off the wagon.

i guess ive just answered my own question.

i guess im saying that sobriety is a good thing for all to know but dont want to be preachy but i dont want to be ashamed either about how good it feels to be free from the damaging chemical of alcohol.

do you date sober people?maybe i just need time
to take care of myself for now. dating can wait?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:31 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Not my real name.

Today is the morning of day 22 for me, which means I've completed 3 weeks without a drink! That hasn't happened in over 25 years!

Never expected I would last this long when I first stopped, and after 3 weeks I still don't have a plan for how long I am going to stay stopped, kind of enjoying racking up the big numbers though.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Not my real name.

Hmm, tough to really comment via an internet forum and only knowing what you have written.

However, I would say if you are committed to staying clean/sober then tell him/her up front, and if you get pressured then walk away.

Just my $0.02.

Originally Posted by yestofreedom View Post
what do u do while staying away from alcohol and drugs and you meet someone who is a heavy partier( i think just on the weekends).
but just found out they like a spliff every now and again.

but hopefully they can respect my choices but ive been there before where a love interest can knock me off the wagon.

i guess ive just answered my own question.

i guess im saying that sobriety is a good thing for all to know but dont want to be preachy but i dont want to be ashamed either about how good it feels to be free from the damaging chemical of alcohol.

do you date sober people?maybe i just need time
to take care of myself for now. dating can wait?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Good for you, JamesAdams! The numbers will just keep on increasing.

ytf, I agree that you should put sobriety first. I was in a co-dependent alcohol-dependent marriage and I never want to go there again!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm new to the forums and wanted to pop in here.

I have this weird emotional attitude/feeling thing going on, and I can't really place it. I thought I would ask if anyone else has experienced it. I think it's just what not feeling drunk or worrying about sneaking another drink (I was a sneaky alcoholic). I feel light, not light headed, but just somehow, lighter.

I definitely have more energy it seems. Today I went swimming with my hubby for the first time in a while. For me that was really nice, because he had been out of the house in the morning, so normally I would have been drinking while he was gone and would have seen it as an opportunity to start early. Then when he got home I would have pretended to have my first drink around 2:00ish but already be half drunk. Then I would have just sat on the coach watching TV and drinking. So, for me it was an accomplishment.

I also had some work, studying and family obligations, so it was nice to stay busy and distracted.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share. I really wanted to tell someone who would understand what a big deal this is for me.

I hope to get to know all of you!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Later guys.

I was censored by a moderator earlier.

Freedom of speech is pretty big in my book.

I wish you all luck, but apparently, all opinions are not welcome here.

Bye.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:03 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jennbean View Post

I have this weird emotional attitude/feeling thing going on, and I can't really place it. I thought I would ask if anyone else has experienced it. I think it's just what not feeling drunk or worrying about sneaking another drink (I was a sneaky alcoholic). I feel light, not light headed, but just somehow, lighter.

I definitely have more energy it seems. Today I went swimming with my hubby for the first time in a while. For me that was really nice, because he had been out of the house in the morning, so normally I would have been drinking while he was gone and would have seen it as an opportunity to start early. Then when he got home I would have pretended to have my first drink around 2:00ish but already be half drunk. Then I would have just sat on the coach watching TV and drinking. So, for me it was an accomplishment.

I also had some work, studying and family obligations, so it was nice to stay busy and distracted.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share. I really wanted to tell someone who would understand what a big deal this is for me.

I hope to get to know all of you!
Welcome, Jennbean. I see so much of myself in your post-- thank you for sharing. As someone who hid drinking myself, there was so much relief in stopping. Because I was a secret drinker I spent so much time and energy hiding it and covering my tracks that it was so tiring. When I stopped it lifted so much of that and it is such a relief. Keep at it, I know I have found so much help here at SR.

Just checking in after a very emotionally draining weekend. My sister asked if my husband and I would be the ones to care for my niece if anything ever happened to her and her husband. So weird because I felt that I could say yes without a doubt. I wouldn't have felt as good about it if I was still a drinking mess. My mom then countered that with some bad news, so just trying to deal with family drama.

So, I came home from the family drama, made some tea and grabbed a book, after I sent a text to my friend who is also in the program. I bought the book Drinking A Love Story several years ago but never actually read it, so I dug it out today. Anyway, hope everyone is doing well wherever you are right now.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Good Morning class - day 14

I read through each and every one of your posts throughout the day - wow, what an inspiration you guys are. Keep up the fight you lovely lot and for those who are struggling - thank you for your honesty. I feel your frustrations or self doubt I have been there so many times. Hang in there . Dont let AV,s mind games put you off course..yunno, it tempts you, you cave in then feel full of remorse. We have all been there - still there fighting it day by day. you are not alone - these posts and threads tell you. we are part of a big family.. a family we have chosen. we are here to share our victories, Joys and sorrows...big hugs to you all..
Woke up yeasterday, went off to work and all the snow had disappeared overnight here. It was fantastic to see the green grass and LISAMUM your post about your garden was lovely..I had a spring in my step all day.. feel like I am waking up too like the little bulbs in your garden. sounds dreamy. Enjoy its beauty. BOUNCED loved your story about the hotel owner..and Withnail and I is one of my all time fav films!! was LMAO at Bruce Robinsons admission..thats a treasure..lol. Hi CARLOTTA - hope your ok and your meetin went well. HALF, with you too on the feeling so good thing and getting cocky..its definately a trigger for me too!! Funny but Nicklebacks track.. I think its called (aptly) Figured you out..has the line.. "somethings gotta go wrong cos Im feeling way too damn good" keeps playing in my head..ho hum..RUBYCANOE - Hi, hope are ok - sending love to you. REENY you are such an inspiration - I love your posts - hey I believe its your 30 days !!! WTG girl WOODHEAD your hunting weekend sounded adventuous, lovely to be out there with nature and all that fresh air..well done for surviving the temptaion..SOBER1CK..havent been to a meeting went about 5 years ago but it didnt really do it for me - felt a wee bit like some people were using it like a dating club...guess I should try it again..perhaps it wasnt the right time. Your attitude towards your last experience did make me giggle - hope your not offended - but I do imagine this bull running around a china shop..I do admire your tenacity..
B.... gotta get ready for work - could spend all day talking with you luffly lot. Wishing you ALL a happy day..Know you are with me in my thoughts and I am grateful you are in my life... Keep the faith y,all
Speak soon and look forward to catching up with all you sleepy heads accross the pond later..to my UK family..Morning x
Old 01-27-2013, 11:15 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jennbean View Post
Welcome, jennbean! Sounds like you're starting to feel liberated from not having to do the walk of shame and guilt. Good luck to you! You'll find lots of positive support here on this forum.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:18 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrAverage View Post
Later guys.

Good luck, MrAverage, and hope you stay on the straight and narrow.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:22 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

guess I am back on day 2 as I restarted yesterday. realize I cannot have just 1 or 2 or 3. guess I thought I would be stronger after over 3 weeks of sobriety
Good for you, Ruby. Excellent job.

but not sure what caused the slip , maybe just still feeling so bad all the time sober not sleeping well, anxiety and depression
Sometimes I think we just don't value ourselves enough and we deliberately scupper our attempts just to prove we are not worth it

high blood pressure still high all after not drinking over 3 weeks...arm is really, really hurting today
Well I am no doctor, Ruby, but that doesn't sound like a good combination. Might be worth speaking to a medic?
Old 01-27-2013, 11:28 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Melacole View Post

So, I came home from the family drama, made some tea and grabbed a book, after I sent a text to my friend who is also in the program. I bought the book Drinking A Love Story several years ago but never actually read it, so I dug it out today. Anyway, hope everyone is doing well wherever you are right now.
Thanks for sharing, Melacole, and good to know you're staying strong. I'm half-way through the book and it's great. The bits where she writes about how seductive alcohol is are a bit hard to read though - took me back to the times when alcohol was my best friend. Avoid Chapter 5 if you're feeling at all tempted!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:32 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Some really positive stuff going on here today. I am in awe of you guys who pick out something to say to each member of the group. That is really big commitment stuff and really appreciated. I think maybe I am still too self centred at the moment and still too interested in my own opinion.

Even when really great stuff happens, I walk away from a situation thinking everything is perfect and my wife is quietly grizly cos she thinks I didn't listen to her opinion. I think she might have a point. I tend to approach life as though everything revolves around me (rather like when they thought the sun orbited the earth!!) Get some humility dude!

Anyway, getting back to me! I am on day 28 today. Feeling great about it and feeling strong. Looking forward to a journey of companionship with you guys and girls for another 4 weeks.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:35 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenityforme View Post
Good Morning class - day 14
Loved reading your post, Serenityforme! You're in a great place and spreading the happiness - thank you!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:37 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Hi Jennbean and Melacole - Sorry was typing when you posted (im no tech head) Welcome..There is so much support, kindness and fun on here..Thanks for sharing. Stay strong and do a little something kind for you today. Catch you later x
Old 01-27-2013, 11:43 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Posting from my phone in bed, it's 11:30pm here so ill make it quick. Had a good day after surviving the margarita/birthday party last night. If I had been drinking last night I would have blown off catching up with work and house chores and would have been drinking/napping all day. I relate to jennbean and melacole, I was totally a secret drinker and would sneak a lot while husband was out and also while he was here. It is a relief to not do shots in my closet anymore or try to sneak in and throw out bottles. It was truly sad and I hope I never go back to that, it makes me tear up a little just thinking about it. Have a great week January class!