Notices

Class of January 2013 pt 4

Old 01-27-2013, 02:08 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rubycanoe View Post
well, I messed up and have to restart. so sad and dissapointed in myself.
I never consider these things to be a restart, Ruby. The whole thing is a process and this is just a setback from which you can learn a bit more. I am so pleased you are going to "get back on the horse" right away. Sometimes I have taken weeks or months to get back into the right mindset. Really hoping you stick with the January class. We need you, Ruby!

Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
BTW, who puts on afternoon teas these days?
It's one thing you Aussies trying to drop the Queen, Reeny, but afternoon tea as well? Shocking!!!

Anyway, I would normally have gone half-tanked so that I'd be more outgoing, good company, etc... But not today. And as I sat there, I asked myself over and over why I was having such an uninteresting time. And then I realised - I was bored out of my mind
I have done this a lot. Drinking to keep everyone else interesting. The funny thing is that when I am around a load of drunk people and I am sober, I realise just how boring drunk people can be (and how boring I must have been). I still haven't let my Mum know that I have video on skype, I want to be able to continue rolling my eyes when she is being old and doddery. Actual, most of the time she is just being sweet and caring about me and it is probably my attitude which is the problem. Note to self: I need to be more interested.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lisamum View Post
Decided to treat myself to some pretty plants for the garden. Hubby kids and I are going out to plant roots for Lilly of the valley, ( he just yelled noooooo not me, what did I do, I'm busy ) tough. Some other ones that look nice with long strange names. My daffodils, narcissus, snow drops, crocuses, bluebells and tulips are starting to peep through. I love spring time in my garden. With the gladioli, sweet Williams and new ones summer will be great too.
Hi Lisamum

Gardening is one of the most rewarding things I can think of. Many years ago, on honeymoon in Koh Samui, the owner of the hotel was a gardener -- he did virtually nothing else. Apparently he had been a highly succesful businessman in Bangkok but with a chronic alcohol problem. The elders at the Buddhist monastery had only one piece of advice for him. "Go and grow a garden".
Old 01-27-2013, 03:17 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bounced View Post

I have done this a lot. Drinking to keep everyone else interesting. The funny thing is that when I am around a load of drunk people and I am sober, I realise just how boring drunk people can be (and how boring I must have been). I still haven't let my Mum know that I have video on skype, I want to be able to continue rolling my eyes when she is being old and doddery. Actual, most of the time she is just being sweet and caring about me and it is probably my attitude which is the problem. Note to self: I need to be more interested.
I thought the same thing -I need to be more interested - after I made that post, bounced. It's not all about me, right?
Old 01-27-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

I would normally have gone half-tanked so that I'd be more outgoing, good company, etc... But not today. And as I sat there, I asked myself over and over why I was having such an uninteresting time. And then I realised - I was bored out of my mind. The conversation was trivial and I was cornered at the back of the table. (I feel ungrateful saying this - it's good to have rellies who invite you over - right?)
It is nice to be invited, and then it's hard to show up sometimes. I've tried to be with my family more... watching my dad have trouble walking makes him a lot less annoying lately, know what I mean? It won't be that long and I'll wish we could get together and I'll just have memories. As for showing up for hockey and basketball games... I'm not a sports fan, but once I get there to see nieces and nephews playing, I'm usually glad I went.

To those struggling, keep at it, two steps forward one step back is still progress, it's not a reset IMO. For me, I have a hump to get over later, when I'm in the habit of picking up booze after a gig. I've gotten around it before, but it's a strong pull, and I expect to be tempted.

bounced, I love that story... and I thought only dogs chased their tails. Peaceful, I want your power sleep! I did pretty well last night, when I woke up I was able to zone back out and return to Z Z Z Z Z. Nice that your kids slept in too!

Carlotta I've been finding the meetings helpful even when (especially when?) there's something to dislike. Or someone... Anyway, my copy of the book is here, it's just my sponsor wants me to open it.

Hi nel, bounced, half, Lisa.

Dorris, hope you're hanging in there, like Rosie said time is a good healer. When I'm hurting, I just want it to be over, so I feel for you.

Serenity glad you still have the job and a good night sleep to boot--great!

stay strong kam, sounds like you're doing well!

MTN Hungry Hippos! I love that it's still around!

Hope you're all well, see you soon.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:49 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

day 7 for me today and Sunday's are usually "easy" days for me - they were never a big drinking day so I am hoping that it will be easy (but not naive enough to think that will will be too easy).

I've read through the last few pages to see how everyone is doing. It's seems overall that most are plugging through the weekend.

Ruby: I have slipped 3x this month but always got right back up. That's what you need to do. Don't throw in the towel. Each time you keep trying it will make you stronger. You only get weaker when you give up.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:03 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Good job on standing tough.

I am still struggling with my `moods`. Generally quite cranky during the day, especially on weekends.

Has this happened to othersÉ (okay, why is my question mark that funky looking `É)

Heheh...sums up my weekends. They just dont seem to work well any longer. Kind of like my computer`s question mark. É

Hang in everyone.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Hi all, havent posted in here for a wee while but have been keeping up with all your posts. well done to eveyone who is maintaining sobriety and well sone to anyone who has lapsed and then come right back
Im on day 22 here and am thoroughly enjoying sobriety apart from the fact that I cant stop eating, I seriously need to stop being such a glutton so thats my next step to get on a healthy eating programme and try and drop the weight ive put on in the last few weeks. I def substituted food for alcohol but as far as Im concerened Id rather be carrying a few extra pounds (temporarily) and be sober that be a skinny drunk.

Hope everyone had a good weekend X
Old 01-27-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peacehappyness View Post
Hi all, havent posted in here for a wee while but have been keeping up with all your posts. well done to eveyone who is maintaining sobriety and well sone to anyone who has lapsed and then come right back
Im on day 22 here and am thoroughly enjoying sobriety apart from the fact that I cant stop eating, I seriously need to stop being such a glutton so thats my next step to get on a healthy eating programme and try and drop the weight ive put on in the last few weeks. I def substituted food for alcohol but as far as Im concerened Id rather be carrying a few extra pounds (temporarily) and be sober that be a skinny drunk.

Hope everyone had a good weekend X

me too going to start that tomorrow run out of excuses now not to

hope you all having a lovely sunday
Old 01-27-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Hey everyone. Trying to catch up on everyone's posts and get some homework done at the same time. Drinking a nice warm cup of tea, and enjoying some quiet in the house as my husband took the dog to the park and then out for a drive. Pooch loves the car!
Excited that day is day 10 for me - woohoo double digits! I've honestly had more difficulty over the past week remaining nicotine-free than alcohol-free, although I haven't slipped on either count and certainly don't intend to. I think because my DWI was so recent and I am dealing with all the fallout from that, it's easy to keep the motivation going and not drink. One of the most helpful things that I've heard so far on the boards is to remember that "fear fades." I know that because of everything going on with the DWI, the idea of a drink is terrifying - the negative consequences are currently impossible to ignore. But I know that eventually this situation will be in the past, and if I'm not careful it could be easy to say "Well that's over, time for a drink!" So I am doing as much reading as I can at this point, trying to post every day, and building up a plan so that I never get to that place again, where drinking sounds like a harmless idea. I am excited about living a sober life now, and leaving all that pain, drama, and sorrow behind. The stress of being a drinker! Just absolutely does not seem appealing at all anymore, but I know that could change and I have to be vigilant. It's helped so much reading these boards and starting to get to know everyone and I identify with so many of you. It's nice to have that community feeling, it's really an amazing, inspiring group of people here. I'm proud of myself for making it this far - and still smoke-free too! 27 days, no smokes. If I can make it through this situation without smoking, I think I can make it through anything!
Looking forward to the next 10 days... and beyond!
Thanks everyone, Alison
Old 01-27-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peacehappyness View Post
Im on day 22 here and am thoroughly enjoying sobriety apart from the fact that I cant stop eating
Hey Peacehappyness

There is no doubt that I get the munchies when I quit alcohol. I tend to use coffee quite a lot as well as chocolate. I have read quite a bit about how diet can help with sobriety - primarily the recommendation is to eat very small amounts very frequently. There is some suggestion that 6 small snacks a day is much better than the normal 3 meals we are used to. By snacks they don't mean junk snacks but healthy nibbly stuff like chopped vegetables etc. Providing you are eating the right kind of food, you don't put on weight but the body gets the calories it needs spread much more evenly throughout the day.

Now there is quite a big day tomorrow for some folk here in that it will have been 4 weeks. I raise this as I believe Reeny will be the first amongst us to get there and so I would like us to give a round of applause for her unerring leadership.

And congratulations to every single member of the January class for an incredible job.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

It really helps to read everyone's positive messages. Another sober weekend is going in the books and Monday mornings have sure been easier lately. Is anyone else having problems falling to sleep at night?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

I have always had problems sleeping. I recently downloaded several hypnosis apps for my phone, and I've been listening to them at night when I get into bed. I have one for quitting smoking, one for anxiety, insomnia, improved self confidence.. I am trying them all out to see which I like best, and they were all free. They don't always work, but sometimes it does help me to fall asleep. I also have a couple apps that are relaxation sounds, like thunderstorm or crackling fire, that help me to relax as well.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

I am pleased to say I have made it through another weekend sober. Whew!!

Yesterday I could have so easily had a drink, the pressure was on between 3pm and 9.30pm. A get together with my husbands family a last min thing and boy did my sister in-law keep on about me having a drink. I can not explain what stopped me, because it sure as hell was not down to the fact I did not want to give in becuase I agreed with everything my AV was saying and I even give myself permission to have a drink.

I am so grateful I stayed sober and roll on Monday x
Old 01-27-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

guess I am back on day 2 as I restarted yesterday. realize I cannot have just 1 or 2 or 3. guess I thought I would be stronger after over 3 weeks of sobriety, but not sure what caused the slip , maybe just still feeling so bad all the time sober not sleeping well, anxiety and depression, high blood pressure still high all after not drinking over 3 weeks didnt feel any healthier and hurting yesterday needed relief and tylenol and ibuprofen didnt help. no desire to drink today as I know it didn't help just made me feel bad for giving in to myself. arm is really, really hurting today, no idea what is wrong with me.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

To think that I was worried about drinking tonight... I've only just sat down! I have had such a brilliant day. All my family, all their children there... I took one look at the soft play which was manic and made the decision to go back to the original plan which was a safari park a few miles down the road.

Just brilliant. I know I wouldn't have done it on a hangover anyway as alternate my drinking days, but to do it on a day 4 and feel good and have some energy... It was just a lovely day.

There are photos of me and I still look like absolute crap even though I try to convince myself otherwise. Just more motivation I guess.

Washing and packed lunches to sort for tomorrow then off to bed.

Exhausted but smiling.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AlisonW View Post
Excited that day is day 10 for me - woohoo double digits! I've honestly had more difficulty over the past week remaining nicotine-free than alcohol-free, although I haven't slipped on either count and certainly don't intend to.
Fantastic rise to the challenge, Alison! Giving up the cigs and grog at the same time is just awesome! The fear might fade but, judging by how totally 'into life' people are on the long stayers forums, I'm thinking some other way of thinking and seeing the world must start to set in. Looking forward to that happening...
Have a great Sunday, Alison and SR friends.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

So far my week end has been good. I am working my overnight shift tonight.
I have had no cravings...keeping my fingers crossed.
I was disappointed yesterday, went to a Women's Big Book Meeting, was all excited about it and about making some contacts. I came 15 minutes early and waited and waited...no meeting.
I called intergroup to let them know that the meeting did not exist anymore. Thank God I was in good spirits but what if someone dying for a drink showed up to closed doors?
Since I have been doing good and my last drink was Saturday 1/19 I decided to treat myself to a mini anniversary present and saw Anna Karenina. Great Movie.
I need to hook up with AA though...I drink alone (don't do bars and have only one or two in social context). Isolation is a big part of my disease and if I don't reach out and make sober contacts in the real world, I ll be in trouble sooner or later.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Day 15 here. Made it through the weekend at my hunting camp without drinking. Was offered beer at a get together last night, smiled, and said no thanks. I feel liberated at this point, with good sleep and clear headedness being definite pluses. Reading all of your posts helps me hang in there.

Rubycanoe - hang in there. I have aches and pains too. Drinking won't solve these things for us. Best wishes.
W
Old 01-27-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Week 4

Bounced, thank you! You say the most supportive and thoughtful things!

To those of the group reaching the four-week mark today, hurrah! To those people who started later or who have stumbled along the way, please know that if some of us can make it, so can you. Just keep staring down the beast!
Old 01-27-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Like2Hike View Post
It really helps to read everyone's positive messages. Another sober weekend is going in the books and Monday mornings have sure been easier lately. Is anyone else having problems falling to sleep at night?
Congratulations on another sober weeknight, Like2Hike! Well done!

I don't have trouble sleeping but I have really disturbing dreams and so put off going to sleep. (At least I don't wake up feeling guilty, just washed out.) Lots of our SR group report feeling tired and lethargic - it seems to be one of the side effects of early sobriety. Guess we'll just need to soldier on through it...