Notices

Class of January 2013 pt 4

Old 01-31-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Good morning class, I am so happy to say goodbye January!!!! ...LOL...What a long cold month! At least February Is a month you can decorate... Valentine day.... I'm ready for the next 30 days!!...Well off to drink some coffee, have a great sober day class
Old 01-31-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Woke up feeling great this morning of day 4, almost too great. On my walk to the train this morning I was listening to the section of Sober For Good discussing whether alcoholics could return to moderate drinking and my AV started telling me that I was never that bad and with will power I can just have one or two. From experience, I know this isn't true. But I'm having trouble getting my AV to shut up this morning. It normally doesn't speak up until about 5:30 or so.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Day 5. Feeling fine now. I saw a pic of me this morning from awhile back, it was taken in the middle of a week long bender and I was hungover as hell. I looked like hell. Old, tired, pale yet red and flushed. Ick. I really notice my face changing. I looked in the mirror this morning and looked refreshed!
At 7:30 in the morning!
So I feel good now but dont even want to think of tonight...it was so bad last night, the cravings,the anxiety, skin crawlies. Tae Bo worked kind of. wish it wasnt below zero outside.
I think ill go to Kohls tonight and shop without my huge bloated belly....
Old 01-31-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hello Class O' January. I've kept up with all your posts and I am so grateful and thankful for each of you. I'm proud of your successes, and I'm especially cheering for those who slipped and had the courage to get back at it again. Well done, all. For those who are hurting and grieving and dealing with pangs and howls from the AV--stay strong. Be strong and courageous, and lean hard into your support systems.

I'm on day 30 myself, and I can hardly believe it. This month has been full of trauma and drama--from family issues to health concerns to job stresses. All of these would normally be triggers to drink. My AV likes to say, "You deserve a cocktail after all this." My answer: "I deserve to wake up tomorrow clean and clear, with no hangover and no regrets."

Also, my answer to anyone who asks about my new non-drinker status: "I'm healthier without alcohol." Totally true, on many levels.

Here's to Class of January (lifting herbal tea high) and to a kick-a$$ February.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Hey all, day 32 for me. A full month without drinking... I am trying to think back to see if there are any days that I regret not having taken a drink, but I can't think of any.

I notice that I tend to feel that I could really go for a beer or two after a day of having had too much sugar and caffeine. I think the combination of caffeine and sugar make me jittery, and I feel like I need alcohol to stabilize my nerves. As such, I've been trying to limit my caffeine and sugar intakes. So far I'm pretty good at being able to control the sugar... caffeine, not so much, but as long as I'm not drinking alcohol I guess that's okay. I'm not sure if anyone else has felt this connection between stimulants and a craving for alcohol?

At any rate, congratulations to those of you who are entering the month of February sober. I'm looking forward to keeping up with this group next month.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Arctic, I love Kohl's but it's so dangerous... always come out of there spending more than I planned!! Hope you find some good deals!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

It is kinduv a fun challenge to have Feb 1 rolling around. I feel like Jan was like a practice game, but I need to be at the top of my game now to stay with the Jan. class.

I figure I consumed about 975ML of vodka in all of Jan 2013. That's about one day's worth of alcohol in my past life, and that might mean waking up at 3am, scrambling for more.

I still remember how happy I was when Sunday morning alcohol sales were allowed again here. Before that, I'd need to be very careful on Saturday to get enough to last me through until noon on Sunday.

I'm actually somewhat surprised. I went four weeks without drinking, then drank 2 days in a row. And today I'm without cravings, and I think my AV is just about mute, at least for now.

One thing I've learned: Progress is tenuous.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Ruffian, I halved my caffeine intake this month. I switched coffee with green tea. It was tough at first, but overall I have fewer upswings and downswings without the coffee, I think. I also watch my sugar intake to prevent the highs and lows. Anything that makes me crash isn't a good thing...
Old 01-31-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soopy99 View Post
Woke up feeling great this morning of day 4, almost too great. On my walk to the train this morning I was listening to the section of Sober For Good discussing whether alcoholics could return to moderate drinking and my AV started telling me that I was never that bad and with will power I can just have one or two. From experience, I know this isn't true. But I'm having trouble getting my AV to shut up this morning. It normally doesn't speak up until about 5:30 or so.
Soopy, I know that feeling my AV use to start its yapping around 5:45/6:00ish..pm.. I called it my "witching hour"....Try to keep your mind/hands busy, I have been thinking about my health this month and I think that has helped me alot!...I want alllllll these years drinking and smoking and now I'm 44 and scared for my health....So now I think about what I want for the next 30 years, which is to be sober, healthy & happy...Keep your chin up and your mind busy, keep reading SR its great support
Old 01-31-2013, 08:50 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Checking in good morning all! Congrats everyone especially those hitting 30 or more days!! We can and are doing it!! Greensleeves and ruffian good to see your posts. Now that I have stopped drinking I gave myself this month to eat whatever the heck I wanted and I have big time. I used to drink maybe 2 or 3 cups of coffee a Week at work, now I'm having many cups everyday with sweetener and cream, plus eating a lot of sweets when in the past I was more of a salt fan. Time for a damn diet, or better yet just eating healthier and maybe getting to the gym. That along with seeing a doctor are my goals for February. Stick with it everyone!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
Hey all, day 32 for me. A full month without drinking... I am trying to think back to see if there are any days that I regret not having taken a drink, but I can't think of any.
Congratulations Ruffian. I do not regret any day that I did not drink either. Nice thinking there, man!

There is conclusive evidence that the same pleasure zones in the brain are triggered by both sugar and coffee (and cigarettes) as are with alcohol. So it is no surprise that overdoing the caffeine/sugar can bring on alcohol cravings. Having said that, it is easier said than done to quit the caffeine completely as well. I agree with Greensleaves about green tea and I am trying my best on that front but maybe that will be one of the achievements for me during February.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Depression still being a pain in the rear and voice joining with av saying why torture yourself.

My answer no matter how bad I feel is NO. I am NOT going to be that person anymore. I don't like her and don't want her in my life.

I want to be able to go out and remember who i speak to and what i say! Also i want to be able to be there for my children when they need me any time day or night.
SR you are so very important to me ALL of you are brilliant and so much support there is no way I would have made it this far without you.

Thank you all:ghug3
Old 01-31-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm not on day 30 yet, but it is the last day of January and I think I'm going to start a month-to-month goal now. January was the month I quit drinking. I let myself eat whatever I wanted, which wasn't ALL bad but I did give in to my chocolate cravings way too much. So, for February, I'm going to kick it up a notch and knock off the chocolate. Well, at least not a half pound of M&Ms each night, anyway! I'm not going to make any additional committments yet, but I will attempt to start exercising more. I figure, the more improvements that I make towards my health, the better I will feel mentally. But at the same time, I can't overload myself because then if I mess up, I have more of a tendency to throw in the towel on everything. So, January, quit drinking, February, quit chocolate, March, something else small, and so on. Mind, body and soul. I look forward to see how my 'attitude and outlook will change.'
Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobrietygrl4 View Post
I'm not on day 30 yet, but it is the last day of January and I think I'm going to start a month-to-month goal now. January was the month I quit drinking. I let myself eat whatever I wanted, which wasn't ALL bad but I did give in to my chocolate cravings way too much. So, for February, I'm going to kick it up a notch and knock off the chocolate. Well, at least not a half pound of M&Ms each night, anyway! I'm not going to make any additional committments yet, but I will attempt to start exercising more. I figure, the more improvements that I make towards my health, the better I will feel mentally. But at the same time, I can't overload myself because then if I mess up, I have more of a tendency to throw in the towel on everything. So, January, quit drinking, February, quit chocolate, March, something else small, and so on. Mind, body and soul. I look forward to see how my 'attitude and outlook will change.'
I've told myself that the primary goal is to quit drinking. The secondary goal is to have no days of negative progress....move forward just a little each day...might be a trip to the gym, making healthy meals for the week, cleaning the house just a little better, working a little late, reading an extra book to my kids, etc.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobrietygrl4 View Post
I totally agree sobrietygr14 little steps I too have a tendency to give up if I overload my goals.

February maybe not totally give up chocolate but i am certainly not eating that much maybe a little square of dark chocolate every now and then
Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lisamum View Post
I want to be able to go out and remember who i speak to and what i say! Also i want to be able to be there for my children when they need me any time day or night.
Lisa,
Great goals. I too spent a lot of time worrying what I'd said to folks the night before (I did a lot of drinking and dialing) - big anxiety builder. It's nice not to have to worry about that anymore. Trudge on!
Best,
W
Old 01-31-2013, 10:29 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Day 30 wow didn't think i would ever get that far :ghug3 January class don't think I would have without all your inspirational folks.

Today has been tough this morning started off great day 30 woo hoo but my AV decided otherwise its been a great reminder not to lose sight of the prize 30 days is awesome but by no way I am strong in my sobriety and still have to work on it.

I decided to download a book on my phone, one mentioned on another thread, at lunch to try to squash the horrible little av monster, another bad move today ahhhh it said at the beginning dont stop drinking before you finish the book..no need to tell you what my av came out with .... you just as well drink till you read the book... how illogical and stupid is that I cant believe i was actually buying into it for however short a time....(think it meant dont try to stop until you read all the book if you havnt stoped already its not what my av came out with though )

Anyway its onwards and upwards to the amazing Jan class lets hope for a sober February
Old 01-31-2013, 12:15 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Administrator

at the end of each month we move the 'old' month class to the Daily support forum, so the new class for all those starting this month - February - can begin

sorry for the quick transition to the Daily Support Forum but I only just realised I'm going away for the weekend...and it's Feb. 1 here...

Congratulations to all but special mention to those approaching hitting or surpassing 30 days - it's great to see people progressing and rebuilding lives

have a good weekend guys - see you when I get back

D
Old 01-31-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Congratulations everyone its the end of January!! We,ve all made it one way or another.. To all of you who have 30/31 days sober..thats fantastic..really really happy for you...all your posts are so encouraging. Cant wait to march into February and day 18..you,ve set a great example guys..Thanks..hope your all having a "peaceful" day and enjoying whatever/wherever you may be!!

Thanks to those who have been discussing caffeine and sugar..was up every hour on the hour last night. Your posts reminded me - been drinking coffee and tea non stop while I,ve been studying...back to water and lemon!!

Alison - really pleased all went well yeasterday - and all without a drink OR ciggie..well done you!! Fantastic you can still drive to work and school, never heard of that here in Blitey..I got a year ban and a fine back in 2008..and that was lenient I think ..had a clean license for 21 years!! Over here it can really mean the end of your job and independance.

Nel68 - keep meaning to say I love your Gratitude quote..I,ve written it down and love to read it . It really does make so much sense to me at the moment..Thanks for sharing.

Night night...and to all those I havent mentioned thanks for sharing your thoughts for today..

Lets storm Februarys castle together!!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Amazing deals!! The clearance racks are the only place Im allowed...80% to 90% off ohhh yeah, got a cute wrap dress, a hat, a pair of heels, and shoes for my daughter!