Notices

Class of July 2012 Part 6

Old 01-26-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Thanks all, for the heartening stories, and also for frankly discussing issues that strike home for me.

Update: In the first six months of sobriety I have gradually come to realize that drinking increases discomfort for me. As obvious as this may be, the realization has been profound for me. This realization contradicts my earlier belief that drinking decreases discomfort. For me it was not enough to just recognize that drinking causes discomfort; I had to get to the point where I CLEARLY recognized that it does. The clarity has made it easier to say "no" without having to white-knuckle it.

Mel
Old 01-27-2013, 09:25 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Hope it's okay if I join. My last drink was July 27, 2012. I was drinking alone in a bar and got picked up by the cops that night. I am newly in touch with my feelings after being numb so many years. It's good, it's hard, but its worth it everyday. Love to all.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

^Welcome to the class of July 2012
Congratulations on 6 months sober
Old 01-29-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Wow..... we picked up some more people.... WAY COOL!!

Sorry everyone I haven't been on for a while. I'm ok.... will email more later.... I promise
Old 01-29-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

RHR, haha your previous message made me laugh! Thank you!

Dee, thanks for the wise words. Good reminder. Funny how I tend to forget things I've learned.
I think I'm gonna go see this girl play tomorrow night in a club. I only saw her play for other people, so it'll be interesting to hear her own songs. With a glass of sparkling in my hand!

Smitty, yes people do notice we don't drink! I know how hard it is. Sometimes it's easier to simply go back home.

friday, kris, welcome and congratulations on the 6 months!

Mel, I can so relate to your little update. I'm glad it got a little easier for you. Hope you're good.

So I'm finally home for a couple weeks. And I'm out of the band now. I have enough savings for at least a year, and a lot I want to see and do.
I feel the new life that began when I stopped drinking last summer is really starting now.
By mid february I'll have left my apartment and I'll be traveling, so I'm not sure I'll be able to post often here, but I'll keep coming as much as I can.

I'm very excited about all these changes!

Hope everything's alright with you guys.

Have a good night/day!

xx

Sentso
Old 01-29-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds like a good year ahead sentso

welcome to the July newcomers
D
Old 01-29-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Welcome Kris-nice to see more new people joining the group. It is nice not to feel numb anymore!

Mel, I could really relate to what you said. I think I'm hitting a similar stage. Now when I'm around my drinking friends I'm not feeling that huge temptation-more like a quiet feeling that I know it's just not good for me and I'm making a really good choice. It doesn't make us more comfortable at all.

Sentso, congrats on your newly found freedom! Must feel nice to have endless possibilities in front of you!

Welcome back Dee!

Mom has moved into a new stage where I can't leave her alone at all. She's also on new sleep med that makes her talk nonsense all day and make odd noises too lol but, talking is a major improvement so it's one step forward two back. So worn out from being a caretaker haven't even been thinking of drinking.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Isn't it great NOT to walk around dehydrated like some old tortilla chip. Alcohol was so dehydrating. You see, I just figured out something that every two-year old already knows: drinking water feels great!

Welcome to the new members!

Mel
Old 01-30-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I have a new appreciation for water too. I try to make it my main drink. Ginger Ale is for special occasions lol I don't miss being dehydrated all the time one bit.

I've noticed I'm putting things off a lot less now and it's starting to pay off in little ways. Now I just try to deal with things as they come up as opposed to procrastinating. Drinking for me was a huge way to put things off. I'm out of excuses lol
Old 01-31-2013, 04:44 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Free, I agree about alcohol's relation to procrastinating. Chemists say that the one thing which completely dissolves in alcohol is time--hours and hours of it!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:15 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Sentso... sounds like some good times ahead! Go for it!

FF... sorry about your mom. I pray God's strength and rest to be upon you. Take some 'you time' - even if you have to go to the bathroom and lock yourself in for a few minutes at a time

Mel... I agree with the water thing... definitely good. I have one cup on coffee in the morning - then my cup of oatmeal - then drink warm to hot water all day. Maybe an Earl Grey tea in the afternoon. I like flavored seltzer water also. Not sweet but just a little flavor.

I'm doing ok... sobriety-wise. Emotionally still a time bomb, but not as bad on the meds. I'm toning down on the Klonopin. But I get so hyper/antsy. Anyway, psychiatrist said I could go down to 1mg twice a day. I only took 1mg all day yesterday. Today is not looking good though.
Taking a class that delves into the depths of our souls (is as scarey as it sounds). This next Tuesday night - our homework is on traumatic events. I read the first page and felt such anger/rage come up that I threw the binder several times. AND it's stuff that I already KNOW... just preliminary stuff. Didn't even turn the page. So, gotta work on that this weekend.... sometime.

You doing ok, Dee?
Old 02-01-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

I seem to get more done too now that I don't drink.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
SBB: It sounds like you made the right choice if it would have put you under unnecessary stress. At least people were asking if you were pregnant because you weren't drinking. I changed meds to something less dangerous when I was drinking and gained 2 stone all on my stomach so I had lots of people asking if I was pregnant. It's a wonderful feeling when you have to say "no, I got fat"... Since stopping drinking and going back on my old meds I've lost a stone and no longer look pregnant so all is well

I'll be six months sober tomorrow. It's amazing to think I had my last drink at about 6am 6 months ago. Never thought I'd make it this far.
But it makes me think how much everyone expects me to have a drink in my hand. Meds can be both wonderful and sinister, can't they?
Old 02-01-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Happy weekend everyone! I recommend a thread in Newcomers that Weasel has been starting each weekend. Everyone just checks in and shares what they're doing and give each other support because weekends are hard for most. It's really pleasant, and helpful...

Superbowl rough for anyone? Everyone? lol
Old 02-02-2013, 10:50 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Just dropping in with a huge hug for R4R.

Xxx
Old 02-04-2013, 02:11 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've been very busy here and elsewhere but yeah - doing OK R4R
D
Old 02-04-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

SBB -- Hey sorry I missed it, but :ghug3 on the SUPER 6 months!!!!

Not much into the Super Bowl, but glad the Ravens won

I did have mostly a relaxing weekend. Just did stuff around the house. No desire to drink.... for the most part... it comes in a flash and goes in a slightly slower flash...
It's time to fess up about something else though.... I tend to be a bit on the bulimic side. Not all the time, but enough to where I see it as a problem and a really bad coping mechanism. Worse than the cutting. So, I need to work on that like I'm worked on the alcohol.

It sure takes a lot to do things in 'moderation' doesn't it? No matter what it is....

Have a great day, my friends.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:00 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Hi July class, wanted to stop by and say hello. I celebrated 6 months on the 30th of January. Hope all are well!!!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Well done grazfather. How have you found sobriety so far?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Great Job GF!

How's everyone else doing????

Got a discussion class tonight... on traumatic events... ugh... not looking forward to it. I would rather eat whatever they eat on Fear Factor than go to class tonight. I think I need to fess up to the bulimic and cutting tendencies and get some accountability going there.

Got a bit overwhelmed at work yesterday... prayed... took a Klonopin - after 1 hour and it not helping - took a xanax that didn't work either. I just couldn't settle down. Went home and took a shower, ate the roast we had in the crock pot all day and watched tv like a zombie. Still I felt like I should be doing something. I did eat some other things, which of course, I didn't keep down. Control... all about controlling something in my life... that's what the only person I really trust in person that I told said. Because my head seems so out of control sometimes.

I'll talk to my therapist about it tomorrow and my psychiatrist on Monday. I'm wondering if my psychiatrist should be my therapist if he does that sort of thing... or if he's just there to do the medication. It would sure be cheaper. He doesn't smile much though... I think once I saw him smile then once or twice, kind of smile. On Criminal Minds last night, one of the guys said, 'Never trust a person who doesn't smile'. Now why does stupid stuff like that stick with me?????

Ok, gotta go.