Notices

Class of July 2012 Part 6

Old 02-22-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

I'm just checking in. I know I don't stop in much-I hope it's okay I still pop in time to time. I did have a glass of wine the other night. It is a slippery slope and I won't do it again. I limited to one and since it was at a restaurant it was in a fairly small glass. I felt very buzzed after one and decided I don't like that feeling much anymore. I don't know why I did it. AV was seemingly quiet (she can be so subtle!). Unfortunately-I was also seemingly quiet. I need to be honest about it. Can I still count my quit as 7/9/12? Surely I'm not the only slip?

I'm nervous about vacation. We are getting ready to head out. This will be my first family vacation with no booze at all. Last year I was drinking somewhat minimally (relatively speaking) but was still drinking. This year-I will abstain completely. It seems like it's going to be a long week. I have a couple books. I have a plan for the most part.

Occasionally I still have the "I wish I could drink like I used to" by which I mean before it was a problem. Or that I wish I could drink socially occasionally. I don't have any illusions though. I know I can't. Lately though a nice glass of wine or agood beer with a cigarette sounds wonderful. At least the idea of it. I haven't smoked a cigarette in almost 3 years. I don't REALLY want one and wouldn't have one because I've accepted the fact that I cannot have just one. It's the illusion of what it used to be like. I'm accepting the fact I cannot have just one beer or glass of wine (even though I was successful the other night-I know it was a fluke and I was just lucky).

Sometimes I just hate that I got here in the first place. Sigh.

Enough woe is me. I'll get through vacation because I'm already aware of it being a potential issue. And I have SR on my tablet bookmarks.

Glad everyone is doing well. I'll try to catch up.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,
Sorry I haven't posted in awhile. It has been a very stressful, difficult and joyful few months - I have had a few drinks, but thankfully have been able to keep things under control ie not falling over - just a glass of wine. So to keep it short - my daughter got engaged new year's ever, and got married February 12. 3rd wedding we have had in the last 12 months. My daughter-in-law is pregnant and due March 6. And since we are so far in debt after paying for 3 weddings, I put the house up for sale, and it sold for the full asking price within the week. Now I need to find somewhere to live. Husband still has no money coming in, and I need to decide if I am moving with him, or without him. Oh...forgot to mention that is was our 33rd wedding anniversary on Feb 17.
R4R - 7 months - you are so awesome! Everyone else. Looking forward to getting back on track. Have a great weekend.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you Smitty and Katan

D
Old 02-23-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

So glad you checked in Smitty and Katan!

Smitty, I think one slip on one glass of wine could be overlooked. Just be careful, because it sounds like your AV is romanticizing and wooing you. I think we all look back wistfully and wish for the good old days-we just have to keep in mind the reality. It's kind of how I look back on roller skating. I really enjoyed it in my younger days but it really wouldn't be a good idea to even attempt it now. Or, how I look back at some of my exes. I remember the great times but conveniently forget all the crap lol Enjoy your vacation. It's good you are thinking ahead to deal with the potential triggers. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Katan, wow-that's a lot of family news and celebrations. A lot of life changing situations too. Sorry you had to sell the house, but glad it sold right away. I'm glad you'll be making such a big decision sober-your head will be clear so you can really analyze what you need/want to do. Congrats on the baby coming!

R4R don't think you can sneak off-we will hunt you down
Old 02-24-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

I'm on vacation and damn her! She is loud!

Agree about the romance of what it used to be. :-) there's a reason it is in the past
Old 02-24-2013, 01:50 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Administrator

stay strong Smitty

D
Old 02-25-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Making it through! At least I didn't drink today :-) tomorrow will be easy to as avoid too, will be a long day. That gets me rt o Wednesday at least. One minute at a time.

Frustrated it is bugging me now. I went through the holidays easily. Stupid alcohol.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Stupid alcohol is right! It's that vacation conditioning thanks to the media that drinking=having a good time. Plenty of people enjoy their vacation without drinking, they just never show us any examples because it doesn't help sell anything. Walking, relaxing, conversations with friends and family, listening to the birds, sightseeing,etc. Many things you can do to feed your soul, not your addiction. Enjoy!

Right now I am craving a vacation more than a drink!! Not likely to happen any time soon-bummer.

Is St. Patrick's Day a trigger for anyone else?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:41 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Administrator

not for a good many years FF - St Pats day is all about debauchery here and 'writing yourself off' - no interest.

D
Old 02-26-2013, 01:50 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Hey!

It's been a while!

I don't have much time, cause I'm going to Peru in a few hours for a month, but I wanted to give you some news and tell you I think about you all.

I just came back from a 10-day Vipassana class. It was the most intense, interesting and demanding experience of my life.
There's nothing abstract, mystical, philosophical about this technique. It is simply a technique, very precise, that you learn over 10 days (at least the basics), and that is all about observing your breath and your sensations in order to liberate yourself from certain patterns that you feel you can't control.
For me it was a huge shock. I had practised meditation before, but it always seemed a bit abstract. There it was very practical.

I thought a lot about you there. I think this technique can help a lot with addictions. And with life in general.
So I just wanted to tell you that it exists, it is called Vipassana, it is completely free (you give a donation if you want at the end) and there are centers all over the worlds, and I think in every state in the USA.
During those 10 days you're not allowed to speak or communicate by any means with the other students (you can talk to the manager or teacher if you need), you can't read, write, listen to music, sing, or do anything except meditate, eat, sleep and walk a little.
But after a couple days, I didn't miss anything.

Sorry to be so quick but I gotta go pack.

I hope you're all good. I think about you.

xx
Old 02-26-2013, 02:18 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bon voyage Sentso

D
Old 03-05-2013, 04:31 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Very odd, I posted something two days ago and it's not here...

Just wanted to let you all know I'm here and sober and sorry I haven't checked in for a while (except two days ago...).

Happy Trails, Sentso. I'd like trying the quiet thing for a week. Me and a cabin - and nothing else. I would like to quiet my mind down that much... it would probably take a couple days to get it to shut up!

Hi FF, SBB, and Katan!

I never saw the point in green beer FF. I would drink it too fast to even care anyway!!! Besides my great-grandfather was Scottish - not Irish. Such a mix... on my birth dad's side - Scottish, (great-grandmother don't know), English, Cherokee Indian. Birth mother - Austrian, German, Polish.

Oh, well, that's what the Great Melting Pot is all about.

Later, my friends. Dee, what could've happened to my post. I saw it there... now it's not...
Old 03-05-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no idea R4R...I haven't removed anything - maybe it was another thread?

D
Old 03-09-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Huh, weird....

Well, on the 6th I had 8 months.... surpassed my previous almost 8 month mark back in 2010-2011!

Hope you all are well!

Love ya
Old 03-09-2013, 01:27 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations R4R

D
Old 03-09-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Congrats R4R!! You're the leader of the pack

Sentso, sounds like quite the experience. I'm not sure I'd survive that long without internet let alone the rest! It might be very peaceful though. Happy travels and check in with us soon.

I've been busy with both jobs, mom, etc. Made it through St. Pat's parade celebration with hardly any cravings at all. I did feel like I was being really boring, but the drinkers weren't being all that exciting either. I do realize that sobriety makes me feel much older. I've always felt younger than my age, and this is making me feel older than I am. Not crazy about this side effect of quitting. I probably just need sleep!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:16 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Glad to be back!

Thought I would officially join the July 2012 class, I have been sober since July 22! I haven't really had a computer to use until now, and am so glad to be able to log on and say hello. This is the longest I have ever been sober in the past 14 years. It feels amazing. I have to admit, I couldn't do it on my own, after my third DUI, a felony, I was accepted into "wellness court" and in this program, its just not possible to drink, thank God. It's been work, a lot of hard, hard work, but worth everything. My sobriety is worth all that I lost, and all that I sacrifice daily. I have a new life. :-)
I am lonely at times, at home, like now, late at night. Am happy I finally have a computer and can connect with others online. I do have a lot of people in my life, I am not using this to isolate or anything, just another way to reach out and know that I am not alone.
I will have to spend some time reading the boards, get caught up and see what it's been like for others.
Glad to be back!
~hugs!~
Old 03-10-2013, 11:17 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Hey there R4R, I think we were together in this back in 2011?? Good to see a familiar face, we are doing it, aren't we?!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:17 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

FF - I COULD survive just fine without the internet or computer or phone or tv...... sounds like a wonderful time to me.

HEY ALASKA!!!!!! Welcome home Yeah... that was the time I almost made it 8 months. Now I'm over that hump!! By the Grace of God, big-time. How are you. Sounds like you're doing well. I'm glad.

I'm doing ok. Life Class is still hard. Makes my head spin just thinking about going tonight, but God is doing what I can't do.... heal myself.

Catch you guys later.... gotta close down for the day.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Glad you're here AlaskaSunshine, it's been pretty quiet in here lately. Our class used to be busy, but now that we've got some sober time in I think we're all getting busy with life, a good thing. I hope those that have slipped will come back and hang out with us too-would be nice to hear from everyone again, no matter what the current situation is. It's never too late to try again!