Notices

Class of July 2012 Part 6

Old 12-31-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Happy New Year to all! Almost half a year has gone by with no drinks-pretty amazing. Sober New Year's with no one around is very weird to me, but it's very peaceful and kind of nice.

I hope everyone has a 2013 filled with health and happiness. I hope our other classmates check back in and say hello
Old 01-01-2013, 02:57 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Happy New Year! It was nice to be sober and I had a pretty quiet evening. Went out for dinner with friends and then came home and played some video games.

Tried to ring in the new year with my granddaughter but she lost steam 2 minutes before midnight! It was pretty funny.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:52 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope everyone has a wonderful 2013

D
Old 01-01-2013, 05:22 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

NO DRINKS, FF (Imagine smiley faces high -fiving each other)!!

It was funny if someone was watching me last night at the store. I picked up some St. Pauli Girl NA beer and had it in the cart... went a few aisles and thought no, I didn't need it. I could have a nice cold orange seltzer water when I got to the Jeep. Got to the beer aisle put it back and picked up another NA beer, put it in the cart. Took it out and put it back. Put it back in the cart... and back on the shelf and quickly made my getaway Someone would've thought I had a split personality or something (hahaha - yeah, I can laugh, because I used to have several 'personalities').

Anyway LBC -- my hubby and I conked out too.. woke up at 12:02 or something like that. Dang, had sparkling grape juice (like 100% and kosher even) and cheese and crackers... never got to eat them.
But I'm addicted to something else... those really huge Reese's Cups!! They are a 1/2 pound a piece. I can eat two of them! Good thing it's back to running tomorrow.

Now on my hand... doc said I have to go back in a week for them to look at it. The wrist almost all the way around is infected from where I obsessively tried to removed my tattoo. Yeah, going to talk to therapist and psychiatrist about the obsessive thing. Because I'm not doing anything to it now, but I feel the urge. Almost like when I quit drinking. Anyway, I have a script for ointment and then have to wrap gauze strips soaked in anti-bacterial soap around it, then use the roller gauze, then ace bandage. And on two antibiotics.
The potential problem is that the infection will get to my tendons and other things and I could lose my hand. I rebuke that and totally don't receive that news! So, I'm trying to be good.

But yeah, it is so good to be sober and entering a brand new year! Have a happy and blessed new year... may your dreams come true and your lives be fruitful.
Love y'all.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

New Year's with no drinks felt great. Good work everyone! Looking forward to hearing your updates and staying in touch on our shared progress. - Mel
Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, happy 2013!

I was just watching Breaking Bad and there was a dinner scene with wine. I had oddly strong cravings for alcohol. I acknowledged the craving was there, reasserted to myself that I do not drink and here I am.

I also had a crummy encounter with a miserable man today, with my OCD, these things stay with me a bit. I wrote about it, which I've never done before, so hopefully that will help...I've never journalled before...hope it helps.

That guy really got under my skin.

On a positive note, I'm sober, my wife and I working things out and I'm breathing!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Nice to hear from 'most' everyone

Really tired today. Antibiotics kicking my butt from my wrist (ahem) 'injury'. Not going to see doc until Monday even though my hand is still swollen and stuff - but I talked to him (thru the receptionist) yesterday and we felt it would be ok.

Slight cravings for alcohol are hitting me now and then, but working on something deeper - so no drink for me

Sry Zune that guy got on your nerves, but it sounds like you handled it in a positive way.

And thanks for posting Mel

Have a great night/day!
Old 01-04-2013, 01:31 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I've noticed more cravings in last 2 weeks than in previous 2 months. I think it's holiday syndrome. Glad we were able to get through them. It's an odd thing-being thrilled for a sober start to the New Year and then having a craving about 6 hours later wtf?

Xune, glad you and your wife are working things out-great news! Writing definitely helps. Sorry you had to deal with a miserable guy-no fun at all.

R4R take care of that wrist, sounds painful and a little scary.

Mel good to hear from you!

Dee Happy New Year to you too

I'm working on getting rid of all evidence of Xmas. Love it, love it when it's over.

I keep reading about a gratitude jar and decided to try it this year. Just take a jar and write good things that happen throughout the year to read when you're feeling down, or on New Year's Eve next year to enjoy the year's memories. Nice idea...
Old 01-06-2013, 01:18 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Happy New Year everyone! First year we start sober, isn't it amazing?
Almost, or already for some, 6 months sober. Sometimes I just can't believe it!

R4R I'm worried about your wrist, I hope it's gonna be alright. I keep you in my thoughts.

FreeFall, very nice idea. It reminds me of my friend. Last summer she started putting a grain of rice in a bowl every time she felt she had done something good for her or someone else. That way she could simply watch the bowl fill up, knowing every small grain was there for a reason.
I think it is a really wonderful idea. We need reminders of our decisions, our good actions, etc.

I came back from the buddhist monastery on friday. It was a very interesting experience. I really discovered meditation, and I think I'm gonna stick with it for a while.
For a long time I was worried I was never gonna hear silence again (I have light tinnitus in my ears), but these days I just found out about all the noise in my head, and that the real silence I'm looking for is inside. And it's really hard to keep the mind silent.
Otherwise we had some interesting (though a bit long) dharma talks, and we did a lot of walking meditation (walking slowly, paying attention to our breath or our steps only), and worked together for the community. Also the silent meals were awesome, I really enjoyed being silent while eating, and paying attention to each mouthful (one monk told us to chew at least between 30 and 50 times every mouthful, which seems a bit extreme, but is in reality very enjoyable. You really get to taste and respect what you eat)
Overall a very good experience, and I met some interesting people there from all around the world.
It really made me stronger and calmer.

This month is my last month with the band. We're supposed to go back on tour for a couple weeks quite far away, but it's not completely sure yet.

I had some really strong cravings yesterday. I was meeting some very good friends in a bar, and for a few seconds I really felt I was gonna have one of the pints that were put on the table. I wanted one so bad. Then the waiter put my sparkling water on the table, and I snapped out of the feeling.
And I thought the buddhist retreat had made me stronger! Same old lesson: never ever take it for granted.

Finally I had a good night, went back home early, and read an interesting book about Ayahuasca (I'm thinking about going to Peru for a couple weeks in march, following my anthropologist friend's advices)

Have a good day/night everyone.

xx
Old 01-06-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Glad everyone is still ok and got passed the urges

Yeah, I see the doc tomorrow about my wrist/hand. OCD is NOT cracked up to be. Never really had that diagnosis, but... just sayin
Still swollen.

Six months for me today :ghug3 - that's me giving me a hug. I like me - kinda cool.

Catch you later....
Old 01-06-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Really4Real,

I heard you hit six months and so just HAD to hurry over to deliver your chip!
Fantastic! Outstanding! Bully for you!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:25 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Really glad to see this thread livening up again-fantastic that everyone is checking in. Obladi, you're always there to deliver the chips glad you're here.

Sentso, that retreat sounds like it was really enlightening. I remember in a church youth group years ago we did a non speaking retreat and it was powerful even as a teen. That rice idea is neat too. It must feel very strange for you about to be apart from the band. It will give you time to pursue your own things though which should be welcome.

I think sometimes the cravings sneak through because you're feeling strong.
You feel like you've got it licked so you get complacent and then *boom* out of nowhere you realize you could be back to square one in a heartbeat. Glad you were able to get through it.

R4R congrats on 6 months!! There's going to be a lot of that going around. Give yourself a pat on the back!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations R4R
good to see you too Sentso - and you too FF, Obladi, LadyinBC, Mel and Xune

D
Old 01-08-2013, 03:23 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Hey thanks, OB, FF and Dee....

How are you OB?????? Mel????? Everyone else????

The doc said the infection in my wrist is almost gone. Gotta work on one small area. He's got it wrapped pretty tight right now for the next few days to stry to get the swelling down in my hand. Hope it works... going down to southern Ohio (hocking hills)... staying in a cabin with hot tub and fireplace and fun and rest! I have to learn to rest. FF - a silent retreat would be wonderful.
Anyway, you won't hear from me from Friday late morning until probably Monday night. Just to let you all know. There will also be NO alcohol involved. One of my friends (of the 10 who are going) wrote that it would be very considerate of everyone if we do not have alcohol on the premises. So, I'm greatful and thankful for that.

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Old 01-08-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a good trip away R4R

D
Old 01-09-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

R4R, have a great time!--your account of which connects with me in that I destressed once under the Hocking Hills waterfall, a force streaming over, pounding upon my body and soul such that for a moment all was right in the world and within me.

Mel
Old 01-10-2013, 06:36 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Oh heck, Mel.... I LOVE doing that. If it's warm enough - like late spring, summer, early fall.... I will lay/stand in a creek, river, anything with a waterfall and just let it wash over me. It's so cleansing, purifying.... does something to the soul for sure.

Thanks for the well-wishes..... Have a wonderful sober weekend everyone.
See you on Tuesday morning (probably won't get to the computer Monday night).
I'll have pics...

Take care of each other.... remember we're in this together!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:28 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

R4R have a fabulous time on your getaway. Sounds like you have some very caring friends. Mel, that waterfall sounds like paradise. I could use a dose of that!

I'm bogged down in monotony. Every day is pretty much the same and I'm SO bored. Anything I can think of that would break me out of this funk I can't do because of taking care of mom. Arghhhhhhhhhh

I hope everyone has a great weekend. I will live vicariously through you guys
Old 01-11-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Administrator

hang on there Freefall - I can imagine caring for someone is very wearing.

D
Old 01-15-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Weekend away was wonderful! Hiking, eating, playing games, worshipping God, listening to music and just relaxing. It was a very much needed time away.
I was able to 'let go' of a big roadblock in my life - literally buried it symbolically anyway.

And still sober.... I think the rest of the women were amazed that we could have fun without alcohol.

FF - Boredom is dangerous. Can you find something you would possible like to do as your taking care of your mom? When I'm bored I try to find something to read or a puzzle to put together.... especially 3D ones. Do other kinds of puzzles.... luminosity has a website that is cool for brain games.

Anyway, Glad we are still here