Notices

Class of May 2012 part 14

Old 11-20-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Somewhat emotional today. I choked up hearing someone talking about Black Friday shopping with his wife. He tells me he won't go into the stores with her, but he wakes up early to drive her around and drop her door to door at each place she wants to go. While she shops he takes little cat naps in the car. How flapping sweet is that?!!? I felt jealous and sad that I don't have that but immediately focused on feeling gratitude that the two of them share something so special and hopeful that maybe, maybe someday there is something like that for me.

I am thinking about how grateful I am to be where I am today. I have a paying job and my own home with two furbabies in it. I can pay my bills and even have extra for some fun. I have the opportunity to learn and grow as a part time student. And I have my music to keep my creative side steady and strong. I have family, friends, sobriety! And I have my May buds and all that each and every one of you has added to my life. I love you all.

I am hoping the holidays give some of the missing mates some extra time to check in I know the change in schedule will likely give me some more SR time this week/weekend. Although I can understand for some it may mean NO time for extra-curricular activities.

Whereever you are I hope you can join me in a prayer or moment for gratitude for something, even if it's only a day or two of sobriety (or 40)...we all have a lot of mistakes that we may regret, but if all of them were necessary for this moment to happen today, right now, then at least I can say it was worth it.

Happy Thanksgiving and remember WE ALL DESERVE TO BE SOBER!

Old 11-20-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

So much love to you, soberkitten. What a wonderfully heartfelt post.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Wonderful post, Kitty! Thanksgiving is a very special time for being grateful for all that we have.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Bahaha FP I love the hoff!

I'm a young-un, only 25, but I think music from the 60's,70's and 80's,90s is far better then the stuff we have playing now.

David Bowie was the original Lady Gaga!

kittycat3 That made me tear up too!

I'm finally feeling like myself today, yay! I'm moving tomorrow so I won't be able to check in tomorrow or friday.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Good evening, our faithful may boaters! I don't expect to be posting over the next couple of days but will be reading in case anyone needs support.

I think that the gratitude list idea is awesome! Imho, it's a great way to put into perspective just how far we've come.

I hope all of you have sober delightful holidays. And if they are not delightful, let's at least keep them sober :-)!

Happy holidays to all!

I discovered that my usual winter depression has snuck up on me and hence the lack of motivation. So more work to do!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope your spirits improve Sas - Happy Thanksgiving

D
Old 11-20-2012, 09:21 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee. And a happy thanksgiving to you and your wife!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:29 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Sas - just an ordinary day for us tho...

D
Old 11-20-2012, 10:03 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Lovely post Kitty. I am feeling the gratitude today.
I completed my step 5 last night, for those AAers amongst us. It took every ounce of strength I had to sit and admit my past. But I managed it somehow. My sponsor was lovely and listened and empathised. I wasn't rejected or struck by some sort of lightning bolt from above. Nothing awful, and for that I'm so grateful.
Sas-I understand the depression, it leads us to a dark place. I too have struggled in the past. Try not to isolate. We are all here for you my friend xxx
Old 11-21-2012, 02:08 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Great work Jeni

I turned down a beer tonight at dinner. Not that much of a big deal for me to turn down alcohol with food but hey at least that's 1 drink I haven't drunk.

Still sober. The next 2 days moving are going to suck, I hate moving and even worse I hate the end of lease clean.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:14 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

hi folks, sorry i've been away for so long. i'm not sure why, but i've been... not exactly isolating, but definitely withdrawing into myself. not good. at one point, it was as if i wasn't even here, i felt physically numb.
but despite that i've been trying to keep myself busy, i've been getting to meetings, but (the whole withdrawal thing) i've not been sharing, which isn't that like me. i've been going to my games on saturdays, and laughing and joking, but still...

i got an email from social services on friday, which i've dealt with as far as i can, and hopefully things will get sorted out for mum.

i went to the doctors about the pain in my leg a little while back (i may have said this already) and they gave me some naproxen. like an idiot, i didn't pick it up because the pain went away for a while (well, it comes and goes) and then on monday night it came back worse than it's ever been. so yesterday i managed to get to the chemist and picked my tablets up. so far... i'm not sure they've kicked in yet. the doctor offered me co-codamols ('with codeine'. her words, not mine) but... yes... um... not an option was it. isn't karma a bitch?

hope things have been well with all you good folks. I'll be catching up with things over the next day or so. it only goes to show that i can stop drinking (and using) and still be messed up in the head. but i'm back now, at least, i hope i am.

have a good day folks. be gentle with yourselves, and don't be like me and forget that there are people who care about you.
love and hugs to you all.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Thanks, Jeni. I've learned not to isolate too much but do withdraw some. Great that you got through step 5. You are one heck of a gutsy lady! I had the same fears of being struck by lightening if I ever told someone about my past and for me it was resolved by talking to my therapist -- and wonders, no lightening ;-)

Em, I'm so sorry you are feeling out of sorts. And you are right in thinking that being sober doesn't solve everything. But, as I'm sure you know, alcohol and drugs do make things worse. I hope you start feeling better soon. Glad to see you back here!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Great Post KittyCat. It really cheered me up. I have been rather depressed lately too. The chronic exhaustion and inability to drive can get me down. Today I am grateful to be alive, sober, have such a wonderful and caring support group, a roof over my head, a warm bed to sleep in and enough food to eat.

Wishing everyone a wonderful thanksgiving
Old 11-21-2012, 05:11 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Tanja, your list is absolutely perfect for me! I could list so many things. I think I will start a written gratitude list as some of you have done.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Kitty that was a great post. How sweet of that guy! I really hope someone like that is in the cards for you too. I can see how that could make emotional especially aroun the holidays which evoke a lot of emotions anyways. Let the emotions come and let them go. Accept them instead of fighting them. Then move onto some sort of treat for yourself. You desere it. I second that I hope some Mayans pop in. Either that their schedule is changed or they want to give it another go or they are just curious to see how everyone is doing. I really hope they say hi. I have always been curious about Luling. My gratefulness prayer/moment to share- I am grateful for my health, my relationships, a job, a house, a day off tomorrow, and all of you guys here. And that it is the 21st and I really feel i can say that I'm 6 months sober. I have changed my mind so many times but I am doing doing the volunteer thing in the morning. Making some cookies tonight for it. Without any warning I thought how nice a seasonal cocktail would be while making them. I almost slapped myself! No thank you! We got apple cider for tomorrow so I think I'll bust that out early. As always I'll be peeking on my phone here.
HRB how's the ride going?
Old 11-21-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Em- thank goodness you're back, I was the sole Brit on here for a while!! Missed you neighbour. Sometimes we need to retreat into ourselves and become self-reflective but I think there's a danger we can get a little lost sometimes x. Maybe there's a chance for you to meet up with others from your meetings socially? Just for a coffee or something? Hope you feel able to keep posting now, I really missed you xxx
OLL-6 months....wow!
I loved your gratitudes. I write a list of mine every night and have done for a good few months now. I sometimes can't believe how much I took for granted when I was drinking. I've got the most amazing little family here and I couldn't see just how very lucky I am. I could so easily have lost it all.
Tonight I'm actually in, no meetings. I'm very tired so I'm going to curl up on the sofa with a hot chocolate and some terribly self indulgent high calorie snacks and listen to some music. Bliss.....xxx
Old 11-21-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Morning/afternoon/evening Mayans:

I've been reading all the posts and can really relate to so many. The winter blahs, I call mine. I've been feeling extra reclusive the last few days. Trying to jolly myself out of it. I've been deciding what to take over tomorrow to my sister in laws. Trying to be creative with the veges. My youngest son, who is not young in years had, a terrible asthma attack at his job, now off due to it. He has had so many jobs, I want his life to go smoothly, but I have to back off. This constant worry about his choices has been one of my downfalls. Me getting drunk will not help his life issues. I am grateful to be sober today and able to work on my own issues, wish I'd started earlier in life, but I didn't. So grateful for SR and all you! The idea of a gratitude list is really helpful.

Jeni, Em, OLL, Saskia, Tanja, KittyCat, Soberjanedoe, Dee, FP, Bionic Lee and all Of you...
Have a safe, sober day....
Bloss
Old 11-21-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Hello Mayans,
I made it through my long work stretch. Going on 4 hours sleep right now (Jeni I don't know how you do it). In car (passenger) driving up north to meet family for Thanksgiving. I hope you all are doing well. I will have more time to check in over the next couple of days. 2 more hours of driving, then out to dinner with family, I am looking forward to some time with them. I am also looking forward to being able to catch up with you all...it's been a rough week but I made it through.
Wishing everyone health and strength this holiday week.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Take care, HRB
Bloss
Old 11-21-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

2 sips of hot choc and I was in a deep sleep on sofa. Haven't slept like that for the longest time....I feel drugged. Off to bed now.

Love you all loads xxx