Notices

Class of May 2012 part 14

Old 11-21-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Moving day today. I hate moving! Ugh.

I have a 3 month break before Uni starts next year and I need to find some type of contract employment so I can save up money but there is nothing in my area right now. The GFC may be over but jobs aren't as plenty as they used to be. I'm now considering applying for some contract jobs in a capital city and renting a room for the short term.

I know that isn't really a sobriety related discussion but it's one of those worries in my head I can't drown out by drinking anymore.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll find something Jane.

D
Old 11-21-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Soberjanedoe: yes, that's the hard part, when the thoughts are going round and round...can't have a few drinks to quiet the mind down. Must find other ways...
Old 11-21-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Happy Wednesday, May mates! Grooving through Day 193. Enjoyed getting out of work early today. I was able to get a little extra practice time in on the horn before meeting up with my duet partner for the first session in nearly 2 months. Went very well. Did several strength building exercises and worked on ear training for proper pitch detection. Slowly getting the work routine and hobbies in gear and away from the all-consuming recovery mode, yay!

Emily!!! I’m so happy that you’re back with us! We missed you, girlfriend. Hope your leg pain gets better soon. Sober count holding steady? You know I’m jumping up and down to push up a Pach pic in your honor. Hugs to you.

2Mags: How are you doing, renovation mate? What’s next on the house project list? Looking for ya, classmate.

Teacher Jeni: Congratulations on completing AA step 5! Sounds like a major task, but you toughed it out and made it through. Terrific that you had a well-deserved nap on the sofa. Hugs to you, transatlantic sister.

Bloss: Big hugs to you and your son. I hope he’s feeling better now and that his job is waiting for him when he goes back. I’m sorry that you’re going through the winter blahs. Thinking that many of us are experiencing that currently. We’re all here for you. Phenomenal job on the sober strength!

You-Rock: Have a wonderful time visiting your family. Hope you’re able to get a solid sleep tonight after your long work hours and long trip. Be good to yourself, my friend.

Saskia: “…will be reading in case anyone needs support.” Huge hugs to you for that, classmate, thank you. Hoping your winter/holiday funk disappears soon. Do something nice for yourself, good buddy.

SoberJane: Hey, there, young ‘un. Wonderful that you’re feeling better! Kinda like being reborn when the hangover haze lifts. High fives for turning down that beer at dinner. Fingers crossed for you on the job front, girlfriend.

KittyCat: “And I have my May buds and all that each and every one of you has added to my life.” Ditto that. You said it well, classmate. Excellent job on your continued sobriety. I am so proud of you!

Dee: Happy Weekday to you, sobermate! Wishing you and your family the best in health and sobriety during our American holiday.

OneLess: An official congratulations on your 6 months to the day! Awesome achievement, super sober sister. “…I am grateful for… a day off tomorrow…” Woo, hoo! Me, too, with a thumbs up for a day off. Throw some o’ them cookies you’re baking over to us, while you’re at it.

Tanja: Big Mammoth hugs of love to you. I’m sorry that you’ve been battling depression. You’ve been through so much, but you still manage to stay strong and succeed on the sober front. Way to go, my friend!

Dweller: We are missing you, good buddy. Hope you’re enjoying the Thanksgiving holiday with friends and family. Check in when you can.

My first big plan for Thanksgiving is to sleep in late. Supposed to be good weather, so I’ll work out in the yard for a bit. Normally, I’d be visiting the ocean for pictures, but while we’re still digging out from hurricane damage, I’ll take a tour of the river.

Looking forward to a garlicky pasta dinner, seeing as I’m mostly vegetarian. The only turkey in my house is the Mammoth who lives here. Be safe, be well, be sober, my cherished and respected boaters. Love and hugs to all, especially to our May mates who haven’t checked in for a while. We miss you!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

SJD don't worry about nonsobriety discussion. If its a struggle it's always related to sobriety. I do hope you find something and it works out for the best.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Here ya go FP!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (95.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 11-21-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Wow, OneLess, thanks for the picture! Those cookies look yummy and gorgeous! I'll take 'em all and I'm not feeling guilty about it, either.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

OLL-they look scrummy!

My sleep was interrupted by stomach pain which I get on and off. Docs are considering an ulcer, and I'm waiting for a hospital appt to investigate.
It seems to have lessened to a dull ache and I'm heading off to work shortly.

Happy thanksgiving to all my American cousins xxx
Old 11-21-2012, 10:33 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Dear Dee74 and One Less|Lonely,

My car crash was vomiting blood but I've had a good innings (as we say in the UK when it comes to alcohol. I'm a bit of and old f**t when it comes to technology but just writing this at 6.30am before I set off for walk in the the windy, cold, rainy Welsh autumn has cheered me.

best wishes

Robcutts (Robin)
Old 11-21-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to the thread Robin

That's the way I felt too - my drinking career ended badly but it could have ended much much worse....I was lucky, for sure...

D
Old 11-22-2012, 02:54 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

day 124/16 and i'm a little surprised, and relieved, that in all this navel gazing i've not slipped up. part of it, i think is that 4 month milestone. whether it's been the thought of not getting there or having... not to admit it, because i've always admitted it in the past. it's the fact that folk would know... or at least guess, or maybe assume, that i'd slipped merely because i didn't collect my chip...

2magnolias - glad to hear from you again. it's really good that you've found your way back.

soberjanedoe - i (sort of) remember how hectic university life can be. hope the job search goes well. as for it not being sobriety related... if we let ourselves fret and worry on our own and don't tell folks what's going on we risk drinking again. and recovery is a lot more than simply not picking up a drink. it's getting ourselves in a position where that isn't (so much of) a struggle.

saskia - i think, from past experience, that i've been dealing with the whole 'two week down' thing. dunno why (well, i sort of do...) but i always seem to go into a slump two weeks after a slip. and i keep forgetting that. funny isn't it, how much we forget?

tanja - thanks for reminding me how much i have got to be grateful for, and also how much i have to lose today. for all that, at times, i may wonder whether being sober has been worth it, deep down i know it ****ing well has been.

jeni - glad you slept well. and all being well, actually no matter how things go, i'm going to make an effort... not that it is an effort, i'm going to remember to post here when i have good news, bad news, no news... i forget that i need to do that. sometimes i just listen to my head telling me stuff, like that i'm ok, or that i don't need to do stuff. i do.

bloss - hope things go well at your sister-in-law's.

hitrockbottom - have a good trip.

fp - have a good thanksgiving. and yes a lie in every so often is a very good thing indeed.

onelesslonely - those cookies do look good. makes me want to start baking...

robcutts - welcome to our happy band.

as for me, today i pick up my four month chip, or at least, that's the plan. i'm heading off to do some shopping and then... well, see how it goes (other than the meeting that is)

have a good day folks, and remember that we are not what we do, what we think, or even what we feel.
love and hugs to you all.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,
A reflective Thanksgiving for me this year. In-laws in town instead of us leaving town and flying 1.200 miles. Very weird to not be drinking, but totally OK and proud of myself for day 42. I guess I will be honest: It bothers me that my family members are able to be normal drinkers.

Enough of me griping on this beautiful day. Let me go have coffee with everyone and then later sink into the couch and have leftovers over and over and......=)
Lee
Old 11-22-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 4 MONTHS MILESTONE, EMILY!!!

Mammoth is calling everyone across the world to celebrate your accomplishment. A whole third of the year sober, wow! Welcome to the One-Third Herd, May mate.

elephant-in-phone-booth.jpg
Old 11-22-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 4 months Emily!
Old 11-22-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

WooHoo, Congratulations on 4 months, Emily!!! WTG

Old 11-22-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

FP, however do you come up with those incredible mammoth pics?! Love the elephant in the phone booth for Emily! Perfect, looks cozy ;-)
Old 11-22-2012, 07:21 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Happy Thanksgiving, my beloved boaters! And a Happy Thursday to everyone celebrating a regular 'ol weekday in glorious sobriety. Been having fun watching one of my ancient movie favs, "March of the Wooden Soldiers" with Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy. Tom-Tom Piper was just found guilty of pignapping and has been banished to Bogeyland. Absolutely awesome!

Robin: A huge and hearty welcome to our class! You have joined one of the most loving and supportive groups of people on all of SR. Looking forward to getting to know you, classmate.

Bionic Lee: Excellent job on the 42 days, sobermate! I hear you on the normal drinking thing. Amazing how much power booze still has over us to keep those wishes and urges alive. Terrific that you're staying strong through the temptations. It's only 24 hours and then we get to wake up sober and refreshed in the morning. Hugs to you!

Teacher Jeni: I hope your stomach pain turns out to be nothing serious. Big hugs to you for maintaining your phenomenal sober stamina and making it through your difficult work days with grace. Much love to you.

Emily: Congrats on those hard-won and well-deserved 4 months, girlfriend! Wonderful job on the 16 days double-quit, too! Thank you for all of your personal messages to our boaters.

WeHav: Thinking about you, good buddy. Hope you're having a great Thanksgiving.

Ok, my cherished friends, breaktime is over and I've gotta get back to work. I'm gussied up as Horton the Elephant in this year's Thanksgiving Day parade. Wish the organizers would let me walk down the road instead of making me float. I'm askeert of heights! AAAAAHHHHHH!!! Wishing everyone sober strength. Love and hugs to all.

elephant-Thanksgiving-parade.jpg
Old 11-22-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Morning/afternoon/evening Mayans:

Happy T Day for those who celebrate the holiday. I'm going to hang out, cook up some side dishes and go over to sis in law's for a couple hours. Used to be a lot of wine flowing there, but things have toned down in recent years. I'll be taking along non alcoholic beverages. I'm planning on a walk with hubby and dog before we go, get the endorphins going with exercise!

FP: love your picture and Laurel and Hardy are a fav of mine too!

Leemzer: I relate to that feeling about normal drinkers, but I certainly never was one...

Emily: congratulations on 4 months

Robin: Hello and welcome!

All of you wonderful friends, have a great day!
Bloss
Old 11-22-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

OneLessLonely: those cookies look so good, wish I had one right now!
Bloss
Old 11-22-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving to all of our U.S. Mayans and wishing all of our overseas Mayans a happy Thursday!

Welcome, Robin!

There have been so many wonderful posts over the past few days that if I tried to respond to all it would be a two-page post! I won't subject you or my fingers to that but do want to congratulate all on many sober days or weeks or months. You are important to me, each and every one of you. You are collectively at the very top of my gratitude list!