Notices

Class Of October 2011 pt 7

Old 01-17-2013, 04:42 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Bound and Determined

Will this cold never end? Just two weeks ago I was bragging "I never get sick anymore"...God and mother nature decided to give me a lesson in humility.

Gerb's email has been shot to your PM box Honeypie. I'm sure he'd love to hear from you.

I know what you are saying and from reading Gerb's post so did he Tanja about the one size fits all issue and some of the aspects of AA. Its helpful to my recovery to a point but at the same time I find many aspects of AA to be rigid and sometimes downright dictatorial which stifles me rather than frees me up. This happens particularly with sponsors (I've gone through several) who seem to feel they've known whats best for me then dictated how I needed to act and what I needed to produce for them. This goes against who I am and simply shuts me down. Speaking in public is difficult still for me so sharing isn't easy. I take a guarded approach to AA.....you know, one thing I've found at several locales in AA which was a bitter truth to uncover...of course they even make that statement at each meeting that nothing is to leave the rooms....like all humans I've actually witnessed...gossip occurs in AA and I've heard members laundering and spreading other members private business that they shared to others...I was actually appalled and left the meeting permanently then saw it materialize in another. Humans will be humans but to be honest its caused me to watch what I share in meetings and I keep private things in therapy.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Bound and Determined

Dang--I always forget stuff in my posts and find its too late to edit. I've gotten sober but developed senility.

Tanja, Honeypie and everyone...I know you already know this well General (PS: I hope you're doing well)...you were mentioning physical fitness Tanja. I cannot express to you enough the role that physical fitness and nutrition has played in my recovery. I was formerly a tortilla and guacamole dip couch potato and have become quite the fanatic. For one reason only...It has literally changed my life. I've gone from nearly fully vegetarian to nearly fully vegan now. Fried food is gone...meat is mostly gone...maybe a little fish or chicken every couple of weeks, salty food is gone...all dairy is mostly gone. Grains, nuts, organic vegetables and fruits are all in. I find I can do more and more in the exercise department and its been nothing short of phenomenal to watch my body morph into something different in the mirror. As I noted I've dumped 30 pounds in the last year and disovered I actually have facial features lol. A great tip I can pass along that really helps with a fitness program is getting your body fat percentile measured and then returning every four months to do the same. Its simple and cheap. You get dunked in a vat of hot water for the measurement :-)....it should cost about 60 bucks. I've gone from nearly 20% bodyfat to 12% and my goal this year is to hit 8%. I believe I can do it. Any lower than that is not healthy. As my body fat level reduced so did my blood pressure and cholelsteral levels which are both now in the normal range. I'd like to post a "go exercise" poster on every street corner, but I'm sure the medical profession would be unhappy with the fact that those simple words would cause them to lose paying customers :-)
Old 01-17-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Very motivational, Gerb!!

At the moment I am trying to watch it. I have actually gained weight since I stopped drinking and although it is hard for others to really notice, as I am small framed, I certainly can tell, it is all muffin top!! :-( Pants are tight!!

That said, I comfort myself knowing that anything right now is better than drinking and if I need to eat a few cookies with my tea in the evening - so be it. I have feet and a treadmill and I know how to use them!!

Thanks for your words of motivation though. I look forward to getting healthier too.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
Bound and Determined

Well, Honeypie...to morph into Gerb I'd have to lose a quarter of a century in years and another 27 pounds lol...I'm just kidding you, I know it was a typo. I'm not sure when working out transformed from a sense of dread to looking forward to it and enjoying it...but somewhere along the line it actually happened. :-)
Old 01-18-2013, 03:54 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Honeypie - Thank you so much for your support You are right on track - one day at a time. I can conur about the muffin top! I am small framed as well. I am still suffering from insomnia and this is a separate issue from the alcoholism. It tends to make me overeat and make poor food choices. Like you - sobriety is my first goal and if "treats" make me feel better than I go for it. I have every confidence that you will make six months and a lifetime of sobriety.

Phil - I hope you feel better soon. Your exercise and nutritional plan are amazing. When I was younger I was a vegan. I would love to get back to that place as I don't like eating anything with a face! Your experience with AA was very informative. That is pretty horrifying that people gossip about what are very personal stories and that it is meant to be a support network.

Wishing everyone a happy TGIF
Old 01-18-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Bound and Determined

I've found the switch to "near" veganism to have been a great personal choice as from a health perspective I've never felt better and like you Tanja I actually have issues with eating things that have faces as I deem animals to have the same merit and value as any human being. I know many would argue the point but I rest by it. The idea of an industry of animals honestly disgusts me. Yet I can't claim perfection and still eat fish and chicken from time to time as well as the rare dairy products. On vacations its nearly impossible to avoid such things. I've had to do a lot of reading and do supplementation with this diet as well with my Doctors help. I didn't want to post about that as I felt it might sound somehow like medical advice. I'd just say if you made such a nutritional assessment and choice I'd read up on it thoroughly and discuss the change with your Doctor.

I almost didn't post about the body/fat analysis either as I am always hesitant to post anything "medical" sounding. The body fat analysis I have done is through a sports nutrition MD and not something I'd just do on my own although I know people who do. In fact, when I posted that my goal is to get to 8% bodyfat this year I didn't think to clarify that 8% is the goal limit for males and that the average ideal bodyfat percentile for females is I believe substantially higher and I honestly don't know what it is maybe 12 or 15 % like that or something.

I believe any radical nutritional and exercise changes are phenominal. I also believe it doing the entire thing with a Doctors supervision and or approval. Radical independent lifechanges as it pertains to our bodys are in my opinion not a good idea. Professional advice is needed.

Have a great day everybody.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:20 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Good morning all, just wanted to say that I have been traveling and am enroute home now. Am writing from the airport. I went to Park City for work and I found an incredible group of AA folks. Honestly they were the nicest, friendliest group of men and women and I am actually going to miss the morning meeting I attended every day while I was there.

And that, to me, has been a miracle. I mean how many work trips have I been on, where I have partied with strangers and not only never planned to stay in touch with them, but actually dreaded ever meeting them again?!

This time I traded business cards with several of the AA members and I feel pretty sure I will be staying in touch with one or two.

What a fellowship this is. Being sober rocks. Especially when your alarm goes off at 3:45 a.m. so you can get to the airport for an early flight. Sheesh!! Brutal...but would be impossible if I had been drinking.

Hope you're all doing well today!!!

Honeypie
Old 01-23-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Phil - I just loved your post! I too view animals as having the same merit and value as humans. It certainly is not a popular opinion. Those people that disagree should read Peter Singer's "Factory Farming" and hopefully find some compassion. It is inspiring to read about your exercise and nutrition. I am still feeling unwell after six months of sobriety (Friday). I have made a doctor's appointment in an attempt to pinpoint the cause. I had wanted to get a test for adrenal exhaustion. I think there is something going on that just isn't right.

Honeypie - I am so happy to hear that you made new sober friends! I know how important it is to have a network of support. You are doing great

Hope everyone has a good day!
Old 01-23-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Bound and Determined

Honeypie: I'm so glad to hear you are doing well! Congratulations. Isn't it great some of the out of town meetings we find. I have been to several on vacations or weekends away and gotten all kinds of terrific clues by locals on where to eat, what to do etc. It is so good to see people around the country/world, living and loving being sober. Where the hell had I been and what was wrong with me?....Oh, I know....alcoholism :-). You can't beat having work turn into something pleasureable (I haven't figured that one out yet ha). I'm happy for you Honeypie.

Tanja: I hope you really have something terrific planned for this Friday. Six months! I am sure they'll figure out if anything is going on physically. I can remember actually feeling pretty crappy physically for around the first 6 months so maybe that has something to do with it? Congratulations again!

Have a good week all.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Phil,

I am planning on going to a beginner's meeting Friday evening and picking up my 6 month chip! I asked my nephew to see me get it. He is suffering from alcoholism too. I have a massage scheduled for sunday and I am looking forward to it. It is such a relief to know that you too felt unwell for the first six months. Every sponsor I have had urges me to go the doctor and don't seem to understand how incapacitating insomnia can be. I suspect that menopause is playing a large part in how I feel. I have ordered some natural cream that I hope helps me. Thank you for your continued support.

Geralt - I hope you are doing well
Old 01-25-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Congrats Tanja with the 6th months! I am so happy for you :ghug3

Just like phil said, staying sober is a great thing, but it doesn't solve all the problems, both physical and psychological. There will be still bad days, but even the worst day sober is better than the "best" day drunk.

I hope you enjoy your day!

PS. I am doing fine, except for my Valium problem. I know I have to quit, but I just don't know how. The withdrawal will be long and horrible and I will be out for months, something I can't afford now that I have a stable job and free-lance accounting/translating jobs. I feel like a functioning "benzoholic" and that makes me sad.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Geralt,

Thank you so much for your congratulations! I seriously had my doubts about sobriety because I kept relasping in spite of wanting it so bad. If it hadn't been for this group, I truly don't think I would have finally made it to 6 months. I wouldn't worry about the valium right now or put yourself down in any way. Your body has gone through an amazing transformation in just one year; quitting smoking and drinking. You have plenty of time to get there. I just want you to pat yourself on the back for the tremendous accomplishments you have achieved. You are a strong and courageous young man that has transformed his life. No small feat
Old 01-25-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Administrator

I forget - have you consulted Drs Geralt?
I think all of us have the fear of withdrawal no matter our drug of choice is.

Withdrawal is not always protracted - but the longer you stay on the drug the more like that is.

Find a Dr who knows their stuff Geralt.

Congratulations again Tanja

D
Old 01-25-2013, 07:38 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

:ghug3 Yay Tanja!!!!!

Six months!!! WOO HOO!!!!!

So proud of you and inspired!!

Hope your meeting was awesome and you have a great weekend. Massage sounds like a wonderful present to yourself!

Love,
Honeypie
Old 01-25-2013, 11:55 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I forget - have you consulted Drs Geralt?
I think all of us have the fear of withdrawal no matter our drug of choice is.

Withdrawal is not always protracted - but the longer you stay on the drug the more like that is.

Find a Dr who knows their stuff Geralt.

Congratulations again Tanja

D
No Dee, that's the whole problem, my doctor doesn't even know I am still on the Valium. I have been buying it on-line for a couple of years, "self-medicating". No doctor here will agree with a tapered withdrawal in a home setting, considering my alcoholic past. So rehab is my only option, but that would mean losing my job, house, something I can't do in this economy.

And the withdrawal will be protracted, as I tried a fast taper before and went through hell, without even reaching 0 mg. The kindling effect applies to benzo's too, as they are chemically similar to alcohol, so each withdrawal will be worse.

So basically I will keep taking the Valium, keep on working till I will have the financial assets to go to rehab for a few months. I can't see any other solution
Old 01-26-2013, 12:05 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear that Geralt....I understand it's a tough decision, but I think the longer you wait, the harder you make it.

I hope you can find some solution.

D
Old 01-28-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  
Bound and Determined

Hi All. Congratulations again Tanja!

Geralt, for what its worth, I can at least provide you with the information that I am currently utilizing (under a Dr's watch to taper off of benzos). Like Dee said a Doctor is the way to go but I understand what you are saying.

Really Geralt...a lot of those horror stories are online people writing who are having really terrible experiences as they probably aren't doing things correctly or in a sensible manner. The people who are doing well in their taper off probably simply aren't posting their positive stories as all is relatively well thus all you read is the horror stories. Its really, from my perspective best to steer clear of reading those bad things. All they do is serve to scare you and don't really serve any real purpose. I can remember when I was first getting sober I was sure I was going to get sober then die of a heart attack lol. I'm serious. I got a little obsessed about it. I think those horror stories are kind of the same.

I don't stick to any rigid set calander. I am tapering from Xanax not valium so I'm not really sure how they equate with each other. This certainly isn't medical advice or advice at all. Its just what I am doing under a Doctors care. I reduce by .25 mg about every 14 days combined with lots of exercise. Really Geralt, I have a little anxiety, but no real withdrawl. I have some insomnia but its really not too bad. I get a little scared each time I get ready to taper down. But its just psychological. Nothing physical really happens in my case I just get myself all psyched out and freaked out prior to tapering down but then I'm fine. My belief is that by mid march I should be completely off but like I said I'm not in any race against myself and I've had days when I've had to take more than my taper schedule. If that happens, it happens and I don't punish myself over it. I just get back on schedule as soon as possible. Its not so bad as those horror stories and like Dee said its one of those things that is good just to face and start working on.

You are welcome to PM me anytime Geralt if you have any personal things you'd like to discuss about it. Also Geralt, I would not say anything bad about any site devoted to healing or sobriety but I do have simply an opinion about another site you gave me yourself ages ago when we all first joined sobertobers. I won't mention it by name but it helps people trying to get off of benzodiazepines. I don't know if you still go there or not but I went on that site long long ago and I can only tell you it was completely filled with people freaking out and telling each other horror stories, scaring each other and the paranoia was nearly palpable. For me it wasn't a helpful place and it only reinforced my fears. But to each their own of course.

Have a great day all. Hi Honeypie, Dee and General
Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Argonaut

I have to get ready for work, so just a short answer, but thanks a lot for your advice phil.

My previous attempts at tapering down were way too fast, so that (and the combination of previous alcohol withdrawals) could explain the horrible physical symptoms I experienced. Electric flashes, sweating, insomnia, weight loss, peeing 20 times a night, total amnesia, no concentration, shakes, bowel problems, panic, the list is almost endless.

I don't go to that site anymore too, just as you said, it is filled with horror stories, but I just don't understand why anybody won't post their positive experience with a mild withdrawal? There must be some people who went to that site, didn't experience such withdrawal and just wanted to share that it isn't that bad?

Anyway, you have given me new hope Phil. I have to make some kind of new, slow withdrawal schedule. The most difficult thing will be sticking to it, as I don't have any supervision or control. The temptation to up dose when any (even imaginary) withdrawal symptoms occur will be huge. Every doctor and psychiatrist here says the same thing: rehab. Tapered withdrawal in a home setting is just not accepted here for people who had alcoholic problems in the past.

I even asked my mother to take all my Valium and help me with the taper, but she refused as she travels a lot and frankly she is happy that I am off the alcohol. She sees the Valium as a lesser evil, a "medicine", because of all the progress I made when I quit drinking and smoking. But I want to be free off that drug.

I will think this over, make a good withdrawal schedule and give it another try. Even if I don't make it to 0 mg, I can at least try to reduce it by as much as possible, which will make rehab easier. I will PM you later Phil, when I have some kind of decent plan and to share experiences.

Thanks again, soberoctobers
Old 01-29-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  
Bound and Determined

Hi Geralt--I'm really glad this conversation came up. I hate to say it but I'm also glad you don't visit that other site. I thought you might still be going there and it was scaring you. This is just a personal opinion but I found it detrimental. I believe the reason it is so filled with horror stories is that as we all know benzodiazepines are taken for psychiatric issues. Trust me, I am not insulting people with psychiatric issues. I have them myself and am very open and forthcoming about them. I'm nothing but supportive of anyone with any kind of psychiatric disorder. I've written about Generalized Anxiety and Panic. Its my entire recovery story. You know from my writing I see a psychiatrist once a week myself. My opinion is that many of the people (most of the people) on that site have psychiatric issues, are taking benzodiazepines without a doctor's knowledge, have gotten themselves addicted to them, have no current doctors support, are trying to get off them all on their own in an improper manner and they are freaking out with each other on that site. I don't find it a good place at all.

I will write a very brief horror story of my own that has a point then move on to positivity. I have been addicted to benzodiazepines for years. A long time ago I tried to taper off them very fast all on my own without any help. I experienced every horror story in the book and thought I was going to die and I went right back to actually taking more of the medication daily after such a horrible experience. End of horror story. The problem was I went too fast. I want to really repeat that twice. The problem was I went too fast.....too fast.

There is no race in getting off benzodiazepines. We've been functioning addicted to them and they don't really totally make our impairment googoo and crazy like alcohol does when we are drunk off our butts. So.....while slowly slowly slowly and sensibly getting off them, we simply continue to take them...and reduce the dosage in a controlled manner so symptoms are minimized or non existent until finally we are free from them. Alcohol, I find we need to get off of immediately because it makes us act like crazy people and our judgement is severely impaired. Not so with benzodiazepines unless we are taking some kind of ridiculous mg doseage to get high.

I've really had no symptoms slowly getting off Xanax Geralt. Actually I feel the healthiest and best I have in my entire life and I have a very positive mental outlook. Yet all the while I am right in the midst of a taper off of benzodiazepines as I write this this morning and I'm perfectly ok. I will be going to work this morning, going to the gym and interacting with my family.

You are welcome to write me always Geralt with any sort of PM you want. You already know that. At the same time, I would encourage you strongly to post what you are doing here publically so that we all can see it and encourage you along as well. I'll be here as long as you want me to be either publically or privately about this. I'd encourage publically but as said PM me anytime.

All that said, I hope you make a promise to me and to sober recovery that if you feel any sort of physical or psychiatric endangerment that you would immediately post that here and see a physician in the Netherlands and tell her or him everything.

Its really a shame this conversation isn't taking place on that other site and is taking place here instead. It really belongs on that site, but I like you don't go there, its not healthy to me to go there. Maybe someone else will see our conversation and it would help them too.

Good luck in facing this, I'm here and so is everyone in sobertobers. I think you already know that.

Hi everyone.

General, we miss you.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Phil,

Thank you so much for your post! It helped me. I agree that it must be down very slowly and that exercise is such a great tool. I merely walk briskly, but I can feel it lessen my depression and anxiety. I also take a fair amount of vitamin B and I think that helps too.