View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  
philb
Bound and Determined

Hi All. Congratulations again Tanja!

Geralt, for what its worth, I can at least provide you with the information that I am currently utilizing (under a Dr's watch to taper off of benzos). Like Dee said a Doctor is the way to go but I understand what you are saying.

Really Geralt...a lot of those horror stories are online people writing who are having really terrible experiences as they probably aren't doing things correctly or in a sensible manner. The people who are doing well in their taper off probably simply aren't posting their positive stories as all is relatively well thus all you read is the horror stories. Its really, from my perspective best to steer clear of reading those bad things. All they do is serve to scare you and don't really serve any real purpose. I can remember when I was first getting sober I was sure I was going to get sober then die of a heart attack lol. I'm serious. I got a little obsessed about it. I think those horror stories are kind of the same.

I don't stick to any rigid set calander. I am tapering from Xanax not valium so I'm not really sure how they equate with each other. This certainly isn't medical advice or advice at all. Its just what I am doing under a Doctors care. I reduce by .25 mg about every 14 days combined with lots of exercise. Really Geralt, I have a little anxiety, but no real withdrawl. I have some insomnia but its really not too bad. I get a little scared each time I get ready to taper down. But its just psychological. Nothing physical really happens in my case I just get myself all psyched out and freaked out prior to tapering down but then I'm fine. My belief is that by mid march I should be completely off but like I said I'm not in any race against myself and I've had days when I've had to take more than my taper schedule. If that happens, it happens and I don't punish myself over it. I just get back on schedule as soon as possible. Its not so bad as those horror stories and like Dee said its one of those things that is good just to face and start working on.

You are welcome to PM me anytime Geralt if you have any personal things you'd like to discuss about it. Also Geralt, I would not say anything bad about any site devoted to healing or sobriety but I do have simply an opinion about another site you gave me yourself ages ago when we all first joined sobertobers. I won't mention it by name but it helps people trying to get off of benzodiazepines. I don't know if you still go there or not but I went on that site long long ago and I can only tell you it was completely filled with people freaking out and telling each other horror stories, scaring each other and the paranoia was nearly palpable. For me it wasn't a helpful place and it only reinforced my fears. But to each their own of course.

Have a great day all. Hi Honeypie, Dee and General