Notices

Class Of September 2012 Part 3

Old 09-14-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

You can do it!!!

With our three year old, we love to go to playgrounds, parks, on walks, and to any fun place really. He likes roller Derby events, lots of kids to play with. We do that some. We like to go to family friendly restaurants. He's obsessed with dogs, so I take him to the dog park with my dogs.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

Guys I can't stress strongly enough - use the support here...it's what we;re about - post if you need help....it's always best before it's too late....strap yourself to a chair if you need to

SR's saved my butt a few times

D
WWG:

Wow! Five days...great job. You've made good progress and like Grace, I definitely see positive changes in attitude and behavior. For instance, I notice that you post now during times other than work hours.

Now your mission is to get through the long weekend. Remember how you used to stop drinking for Lent? If you could do that, then you can get through the three day weekend, even if you do have to strap yourself to a chair, like Dee says.

With the football game on Sunday, I would recommend that you have a serious talk with your wife about having no beer in the house this weekend.

Things to do with a three year old? The apple picking is a great idea. A walk in the woods or at the beach, going to a playground, library, children's museum, pet store, zoo or aquarium, planting bulbs for spring, making and decorating cookies.

I'm cheering you on WWG and other members of the September class! You can do it...you just have to put your mind to it.

Have a great, safe and sober weekend!
Old 09-14-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Kelle, don't beat yourself up over the 4 day thing. My 1st attempt, I made it a whopping 1 day, then I made it 2, then 4...then 7. As long as I keep going in that direction, then I guess it's all good.

I do miss the energy that I've had this past week...today, I'm dragging. But I think that's giving me the kick in the butt I need.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

I drank a bottle of wine last night a a few beers. To be honest I convinced myself I was gonna cave earlier in the day and I'm not sure why. I stayed up till midnight, didn't get enough sleep, accomplished nothing, and now have a hangover. So now I'm gonna head to work with a bunch of calls on the schedule and I'm gonna not want to take them. I'm disappointed at the decision I made and the only thing that is good that came out of this is that I know that I don't want to wake up like this again. There is no purpose or reason for it, completely pointless. Today is Day 1, I'm still in my September Class and you'd better believe there is no way that I'm drinking tonight. It's a no brainer.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

I have been getting headaches around 11am for the past few days. Does anyone else get them?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

I feel scared as I am already thinking about drinking this early on a Friday. I fear danger ahead.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Jaz, Kelle, so happy to hear you both feeling more positive and determined than ever - I know you won't let a slip ruin your whole weekend.

WWG, glad to hear you have made some weekend plans. And I second SlimSlim's cookie idea; my mom used to wash our hands, stick a bowl in front of us, and add the ingredients for us to moosh together - loved it!! Mind, I used to eat the dough when she wasn't looking, so if you're worried about salmonella you might want to try an egg-free recipe. Or just pick up some cookies and some pre-made icing. Just as much fun!

I got a chuckle out of reading the posts about drinking dreams...I've had those too. Mine included me hiding the bottles! I woke up in a panic, and even checked my usual hiding places to reassure myself it really was just a dream. And that would've been a "well-behaved" drunk night...Potent reminder of how much stress drinking was adding to my life!

SFMS, I feel I can relate to the feeling of having a cloud hanging over one's head. Sometimes, I feel I'll never escape all the shame, regrets, and the "giving in" that's plagued me all along. I'm relieved to hear you're feeling stronger! I think we just have to wait until we've distanced ourselves enough and put enough days between now and the last time we disappointed ourselves before we start to feel better consistently. The interim is upleasant, though. Very unpleasant.

DeepBreath, there seemed to be a lot of pain in your post. I don't know who's giving you "conditional love" and it breaks my heart. Here at least, we all love you. Unconditionally. I hope YOU love YOU, unconditionally. What is beautiful about you? Something you know yourself, or maybe something others have told you. Can you think of that today?

Thinking of you all today!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

WWG, it's just a thought! It's not an action. You can keep it that way.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

WWG,
I do not get headaches. But PLEASE do whatever you can to maintain your sobriety this weekend. Stay strong. You can make it through the weekend, football games and all, without drinking.
When the going gets tough, do one or more of the following:
- Pray
- Get on SR to surf, lurk, and post your thoughts
- Go to a SR chat room
- Google other chatrooms
- Go to an AA meeting! You have nothing to lose there.
- Go for a run. Are you still committed to that 5K run over Thanksgiving?
- Give your daughter and wife a big hug. Go for a walk with them.
- PM me if you need someone to talk to. Seriously.

Even after my 45 days, I have urges to drink too. I assume it will take a long time for them to completely go away. But YOU ARE DOING SO WELL!!!! Stay STRONG... Your future depends on it! You do not want to live the next 15 years in this alcoholic quagmire like I did. Knocking on 50 years old, wondering why??? This COLTS fan has never reached out to a PATS fan, but this game of life is SO MUCH MORE than that!! The future is so much brighter if we can stay SOBER. Hang in there. God bless you.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

IHEN, sorry to hear you slipped, but relieved to see you're even more determined! Fight it out today - no fun working hung-over, that's for sure - and use your whole weekend to recuperate and do something different. You've got days and days ahead of you still that will be booze-free!
Old 09-14-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JohnnyOneDay View Post
WWG,
I do not get headaches. But PLEASE do whatever you can to maintain your sobriety this weekend. Stay strong. You can make it through the weekend, football games and all, without drinking.
When the going gets tough, do one or more of the following:
- Pray
- Get on SR to surf, lurk, and post your thoughts
- Go to a SR chat room
- Google other chatrooms
- Go to an AA meeting! You have nothing to lose there.
- Go for a run. Are you still committed to that 5K run over Thanksgiving?
- Give your daughter and wife a big hug. Go for a walk with them.
- PM me if you need someone to talk to. Seriously.

Even after my 45 days, I have urges to drink too. I assume it will take a long time for them to completely go away. But YOU ARE DOING SO WELL!!!! Stay STRONG... Your future depends on it! You do not want to live the next 15 years in this alcoholic quagmire like I did. Knocking on 50 years old, wondering why??? This COLTS fan has never reached out to a PATS fan, but this game of life is SO MUCH MORE than that!! The future is so much brighter if we can stay SOBER. Hang in there. God bless you.
Thank you so much for the kind words. I try and say a Hail Mary when I get the urge. I want to have a great time with my wife and daughter this weekend. It will be nice because I won't be thinking about where and when I can drink. This is hard, but the alternative is worse and I need to remember that. Colts and Patriot fans are not allies, but maybe we are setting a trend. I may need to PM for help and inspiration. Already planning on making homemade Mac and Cheese with my toddler when I get home.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkingwithgod View Post
Thank you so much for the kind words. I try and say a Hail Mary when I get the urge. I want to have a great time with my wife and daughter this weekend. It will be nice because I won't be thinking about where and when I can drink. This is hard, but the alternative is worse and I need to remember that. Colts and Patriot fans are not allies, but maybe we are setting a trend. I may need to PM for help and inspiration. Already planning on making homemade Mac and Cheese with my toddler when I get home.
mmmmm, the casserole kind? With bread crumbs on top? mmmmmmm
Old 09-14-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ivehadenoughnow View Post
mmmmm, the casserole kind? With bread crumbs on top? mmmmmmm
Yes, she loves to help make it. Homemade is the only way to go when it involves Mac and Cheese.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Mmmm, Mac n cheese!!!!! Love it. Had some today! And yesterday. Lol. Stay strong.

Bumble, great post.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Oh, the drinking dreams--they're such mind games! I haven't had them yet on this round of not drinking, but I have had them in the past. Waking up with a jolt of guilt, slowly realizing it was just a dream. Then the relief that it isn't true.

When I quit smoking, I had the same dreams (except I was smoking in them, of course). Strangely, they started up about 3 months after I quit, and came & went for about a year. I'd smoked for 20 years so it shouldn't be a surprise that it took a long time to get it out of my system. But it is a good reminder now, that it will take time for my body and habits to get used to not drinking.

I really responded to Applecrumble's note that the important thing is to not drink, and the rest will take care of itself. I'm counting on that.

This weekend I'm going to visit my mom, which is stressful enough, but she lives in a gambling town and I will be surrounded by 24-hour bars. I'll be there Sunday through Tuesday. I have every intention of joining everybody on "the podium" on Monday, and then again for myself on Wednesday.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

WWG....Lots of support on here..Stay close to SR for the week end. You are doing incredible so far! Keep it going. Make plans with you family, like the mac and cheese idea!

Take it hour by hour if you have too...You know you don't want to give in. You know YOU can do it..

Lets all be here Monday without the regret!

Jim
Old 09-14-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Hey guys - back to day 1 for me again - i'm so embarrassed that i'm here. I need a plan - can't just keep hoping it'll be different this time. Look forward to getting through September with you all.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Spare your blushes Dan, we are all here to get a plan and make it different this time. ;-)

Climb aboard the September class friend.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Kelle, Ihen, Get dusting and climb back on. Have a great weekend see you on that Monday podium
Old 09-14-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Hey Jimuk....Yep Monday on the podium....See you then, have a good week end!

Jim (Canada)