Notices

Class Of March 2011 pt 8

Old 10-18-2011, 07:11 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

We're a Ford family, too, Mirage. Currently, an 04 Taurus and an 03 Expedition. Wife just got an 09 Camry. I'm ready to trade/sell the Expedition, and am liking the Volvo crossovers. Ideally, a Porsche Cayenne would do nicely. Some day, maybe.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

I don't know the Volvo one..I'll look it up. I'm kinda limited tho cuz I can't get a foreign car. I've never had one..our families have never had one. No really..it's weird up here in the Motor City. The whole 'buy American' thing is sorta ingrained. Just don't tell me if they're cheaper.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Well, Volvo was owned by Ford, once upon a time; so was Jag. I have always bought American when I buy new. But, that has all changed for me now. I am a huge Jeep fan, but not a Chrysler fan. I think Chrysler spun off Jeep recently, right? Don't know who owns them now. I do like Ford, for their cars, and their moral standing against TARP money. They did it better without it. That wins my allegiance. And, ultimately, a car is a car, IMHO. Unless, of course, it is a status symbol.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Editor

Im a point a to point b kinda guy now-a-days. My first car that was mine. 18 years old on graduation I got a new to me mazda 626 coupe. I was one cool dude. Wrecked it about 5 times in 3 years. Then when I turned 22 I ordered a jeep wrangler from the factory with all the bells and whistles. I drove that jeep for 14 years. I should have never sold that thing. It was the most reliable and rock solid vehicle I have ever owned. You name it......I did it in that jeep.

My back and Michigan Dave's back are on the same pattern. Not quite out but on the brink. I am doing better. It was a good idea to take the day off and give it a rest.

Gotta run.
Dave
Old 10-18-2011, 10:59 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

They both sound like sweet rides, Dave. Glad your back is on the mend!
Old 10-18-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

JEEPS ROCK!

I had a 91 Cherokee Laredo, bought it new, and loved it until the moment I sold it 15 yrs later. Now I wish I still had it, but these old joints don't do well on major repairs to cars anymore, so it's just as well.

Well...life is starting to get back to normal. Wifee and I are at odds again, but, hey, I'm not gonna lay down anymore in this family's life. If I do, I may as well drink, as I'll just be miserable. Watch out world, here I come...ready or not. This is me, taking my part of the reins again...forcefully, if necessary. My values count, and they will be passed down. And it will be fun, dammit.

I am ready for my weekend trip to KC. This will likely be another tempting time, but I think I'm strong enough. I'm on day 73...90 is in sight. Then 6 mos. Then a year. Then 5 yrs...and so on...and so on...and so on...(think Mike Myers)

Great QOTD Frances! Brought back many memories. I loved that little red thing. It was a shift. I was reminded at my hs reunion that my friends were fascinated that I could drive, clutch, shift, and load, light, and take a bong hit all at once. I had actually forgotten that part.

Once I adopted a cat in high school that lived in my car for a week. I am a Subaru fan. You guys probably didn't know they were around in 1973. Well, guess what, my dad had one that was a 1969 model, brought back from Japan by a military guy. It was like a VW bug, but smaller. We could get our family of 6 in it, but uphill was a little dangerously slow.

Today, I am proud in sobriety. My taxes have been a weight on my shoulders for 10 months. Now, they are done. I wanted a glass of wine to celebrate, but, of course, I wanted it during the last half hour of finishing them. Ya know what would have happened then? They'd still not be done! Like Dee said, I'd wake up one day and wonder how November got here.

Thanks for all your shares, folks, and for putting up with mine. I agree, there is no one on the outside that could possibly understand. We are the breakfast club.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Administrator

young versions or older ones Lofty? LOL

D
Old 10-18-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Lol Dee! I don't even recognize the chick next to Molly Ringwald. Ally Sheedy?? Guess it has to be. That principal was such a doof.

That's funny Lofty, I had a similar conversation recently about "distracted driving". Mine was the stick shift, a bottle of coke (no cup holders back in the day, so it was always between your legs), and a cigarette. Slightly cleaner version than yours, but same idea. I'da had my foot up on the dash if I didn't need it for the clutch.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Administrator

Must be Ally yeah LOL.

D
Old 10-18-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Mirage, you figured out more than I did! I had no idea who any of them were. I assumed it as an Aussie thing.

So who's the first guy?
Old 10-18-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

I only recognize Molly Ringwold. Where can I get some of that golden popcorn?
Old 10-18-2011, 05:44 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nerdy guy turned hunky guy whos name I can't recall LOL

D
Old 10-18-2011, 06:13 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

C'mon Lofty! Michael Anthony Hall is on the far left, then Molly, Ally, and the guy who played the principal. We're missing Judd Nelson and Emilio Estevez. No idea if my spelling is right. Lol..they'd be thrilled to know they're not even recognizable.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:14 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Michael Anthony Hall????? My hubby used to be his twin! Not so much now, I see.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Was Sean Penn part of it too? Or was he just in Fast Times?
Old 10-18-2011, 06:23 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

No, Penn wasn't in this one.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:46 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

I guess when I called us the breakfast club, I was working on mere concept, not true memory!

Have a great day, all! It'd be nice to hear from Dave, Aussie, TOI, RA, Iancal, wouldn't it? Are we starting to come apart at the thread? Hope not!
Old 10-19-2011, 04:04 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Marchers United!

Good morning all. Had a GOOD DAY yesterday and looking to make today a good one too. Productive work day, got some yard work done before today's rains, a visit to my friend and her itty-bitty baby and then 5 miles of speed work at the track with my running buddies.

Husband is away on business this week and I am happy to say this is the FIRST trip where I am actually happy and productive instead of coping. Woot.

I heard somebody say the other day that the Breakfast Club is like Sartres' "No Exit" for 80s teens. Hell is Morning Detention with people you despise. OK, that's way geeky.

We need a new QOTD....who's got one?

Hugs and support to all the Marchers on this amazing life journey ********}}}}
Old 10-19-2011, 04:32 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

How about this for a QOTD...if its not already been done.

Who were your top 5 favorite bands/musical artists during your high school and/or college years?

Mine?

1. Yes (but saw them two years ago, and they should really stop touring)
2. U2
3. All music with Eric Clapton in it
4. The Doors
5. Led Zeppelin

(Ok, as a bonus, I'll give a shout out to Pink Floyd, also a contender, and the Dixie Dregs, which I can almost guarantee no one has heard of)
Old 10-19-2011, 05:14 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

1. The Police
2. The Police
3. The Police
4. Terribly embarrassing Top 40 radio hits including Styx
5. Joni Mitchell, Joni Mitchell, Joni Mitchell (college)