Notices

Class Of March 2011 pt 8

Old 10-16-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

One by one, Mirage, we'll make 'em wonder what's the value in becoming a scout. Yep, one kernel at a time...

Oh...and by the way, wanna buy some band candy?

Dave? DAAAAAAAAAaaaaavvvvveeeee?? Where are ya buddy? Have we become just a diversion from work for ya? Don't ya love us on the weekends anymore? C'mmoooonnnn dave!!!

Just half-kiddin', bud. Take care of that family!

Thanks for the support on the popcorn imps, Mirage and Frances.

I ditto Mirage, PF. I also have week moments where my mind tries to romanticize my memories of alcohol. And, to be honest, they weren't all bad, except for the bad ones, which were too numerous. Like Dave said, I tried over and over to be normal, but am not. That doesn't mean I don't daydream that I could be at times. But, once you add alcohol, you might as well pull the Hyde switch.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Ah, Lions and Tigers and Wolverines ... it's a sad, sad day for Michigan. **cue violin music**

Church was great today! I got to lead, and the music ROCKED! People were really into it, more than normal. I wish I could figure out what the magic formula is for that ... but alas. We closed with a teaser song from next week's MishMash Bash, too, which was one I wrote about 6 years ago. It seemed to be receieved well. I can't wait for next Saturday night! And, I have SO MUCH TO DO before next Saturday night! Aaaah!!!

After church I led the play rehearsal, which went until 2, and then came home and read and napped. I'd gotten up at 4 to work on tomorrow's meeting, which means I can sleep in until 5:30 in the morning. Woo-hoooo! We skipped the Dave Ramsey class tonight ... we actually slept a little too late to make it. But we needed the rest, so all is well.

Dave, you can come play music with me sometime! We'll have Mirage sing lead, and I'll do backup vocals and keys!

And nope ... don't wanna buy any band candy. But thanks for asking.

Frances, you ROCK! Another race??? I walked a half once ... it's a LONG way! Is there a time you'd like to hit?

Mirage, I may have to call you when the little cuties ring my doorbell. Hee hee!

Have a fabulous night, my friends!
Old 10-16-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Editor

I'm here ya'll. My prayers were answered and today was much better.
PF I havent thought twice about drinking in quite a while....So I see where you are coming from....then it was a comedy of errors from friday night through yesterday afternoon and the door cracked and the AV slipped in. I know what I want and where I am going. That is why I was so down last night.....that only made things worse. I was disappointed in myself for letting down my guard. All is well now and I am sooooooooooooo glad that I made it through that craziness. Next level.
It didnt help that my wife was giving me the.......oh are you blogging again. Wish you spent that much time with me as she drank another vodka and whatever.

I am blessed to have such a wonderful group for support. PF....You are one of us. Always and forever.

Got up and had a date with my Izzy. "Real Steel" was awesome and started my day in a fantastic way. Yes we played hooky from church. After the experience I had with my daughter.......It was not a bad choice at all.
I hope that everyone is Kickin it.

Peace Love and Happiness
DAve
Old 10-16-2011, 05:06 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Administrator

put me down for bass PBC

D
Old 10-16-2011, 05:16 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Administrator

Must say though still dont feel like part of the gang here, mainly in part because so many are still strugglng. I would heartly offer some words of encouragement but dont have any similar problems to identify with. Why after 7 months are people stuggling? I honestly would like to know so I can try to understand and empathise.
I think your experience is comparatively rare PF.
You didn't change your life or your friends. You just decided to quit and bang you did it.

Me, on the other hand, it took me 15 years.
I see now I had underlying reasons in my life that drove me to drinking

To follow your analogy my PC never really worked properly...not since I was a teenager.

Lets say I had some malware I wasn't even able to detect, but I just knew my PC wasn't running at full capacity.

Drinking helped me feel like it did, or at least worry about it less.

To stay sober I needed to deal with that underlying stuff - and that took some time and effort.

I haven't thought about drinking for a long time, but I did for a while - certainly longer than 7 months.

I see nothing wrong in that - I think the thought itself is understandable, but it's what we do in response that counts.

I'm really glad this thread is a place where people can vent and be honest and admit to struggling from time to time.

Sometimes I think we think of cravings as a signs we've failed in some way...and I don't agree with that at all

D
Old 10-16-2011, 06:17 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Dee...you've reminded me that the Bible even says that there's no sin in temptation. Even Christ was tempted.

Went to a deja vu, groundhog-style AA meeting tonight. Yep, we read Bill's story the second time in a row. The confusion was in that last week it was a joint AA, al-anon meeting. I went, forgetting the joint meeting, and then bugged out before it began. They read "the family afterward" chapter. The week before, we had read Bill's story, and read it again tonight. See? Even a roomful of about 50 drunks can't get it right! This is my favorite meeting, and I'm starting to make good friends. My other favorite is Tuesday. I make it to about 3 a week, normally, but with my travels, this was my first in over a week. It was a little strange, but good.

Tons of homework tonight...I'll be burning the midnight oil. Kinda like Dave posting at 3 am this morning.

Glad your big day went great, PBC! Unfortunately, the only instrument I've kept halfway in check is my voice. But, I do enjoy singing along at church. Maybe I'll join the praise band again in the future, but not this year.

Enjoy the evening, kiddos!
Old 10-17-2011, 04:34 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Good morning, all!

Here's wishing each a Marcher Monday and a great week.

This is the time of year that I like to buckle down and get to business. It goes back to my school years, when it started to get cold, and that meant there was not much to do but study, and catch up from the previous months to cram for exams. I think I created a permanent pattern. I'm moving into a month or two of hyperfocus. If only I could keep that energy level year-round, I'd be a wealthy man!

Well...so far both fantasy football leagues are 6-0. I can't believe it. I do stand a chance at losing my perfect record tonight in one league. Basically, Plaxico Burress vs. Daniel Thomas. It could go either way.

Mirage...did you see how upset the Lions coach got when the 49ers coach asked him if he wanted to buy some cub scout popcorn? Wow!

PF...once a Marcher, always a Marcher! That's our motto. We are a melting pot of nationalities and sobriety dates! How we got here has less to do with it. What's important is that we all want better for our lives, and are willing to make the committment.

Dave...sorry for calling you out on not being around this weekend. I get grief from my wife for so much posting as well. But, this is one area I vigorously defend, as it's so integral to my sobriety. I couldn't do this thing alone. What amazes me is the difference it makes with all of you, even though we've never met. It's something else. It's introduced a whole new world to me, including one my children have always had. The dynamic is unique, but also potentially dangerous. Spouses could get envious, among other dangers. My therapist does public seminars on internet addiction, and when he asks how many couples in the room met on the internet, he has been surprised that up to 50% say they did. He expected around 10%. So...I guess the jealousy is not as surprising as you might think.

Alrighty, then....must go for now.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoftyIdeals View Post
Mirage...did you see how upset the Lions coach got when the 49ers coach asked him if he wanted to buy some cub scout popcorn? Wow!
Lmao!!! Don't be dissin my Schwartz, Harbaugh! (Dave, feel free to read that anyway you'd like.)
Old 10-17-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Editor

Good Day Marchers!
The back is not doing well today so I am going to be in bed most of the day and will more than likely will not be checking in. I hope that everyone is sailing along and enjoying life.
Catch ya'll later
DAve

Good thing I have shock and awe to help get me around the house.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:08 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

:ghug3 Oh no! Feel better, Dave!
Old 10-17-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Yikes! Sorry about the back, Dave! Feel better!
Old 10-17-2011, 06:35 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Hey Frances...how'd the run go? Did you shake off the punkiness? Hope your week is good, restful, and productive!
Old 10-17-2011, 08:41 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Morning! Quick check in because I'm on deadline.

All's well, thanks for asking! I have a low-grade annoying cold, enough to make me draggy but I'm not sick. I overdid it yesterday with a 10 mile run and then hours of gardening. I FELT hungover this morning but I wasn't....just low-energy. Huh, to think that I could feel like this EVERY DAY if I didn't stop drinking. Whoa Nellie, that would suck.

So now I'm chugging tea and water and this annoying bug will be evicted!

I told two more friends this weekend that I stopped drinking. Funny how normal people don't keep track so they hadn't even noticed that I hadn't partaken at recent events. I had to tell them. They asked why? I said "because of running." They said, "that sounds good" and just moved on. For them, drinking is not a big deal or a big part of life.

This is exactly why SR and My Marchers are so important to me. Most of the people in my life are Normal Drinkers and therefore, can't comprehend how scary it was for me to be spiraling down. My family members are not in Recovery so I can't tell them because it is all so loaded and triggered by my mom's alcoholism. If I told my dad that I had been having alcoholic issues, he would be crushed. He'd be happy for me that I quit, I'm sure, but it would be a very weird thing.

My husband understands because I told him the nitty-gritty. He supports me 100%. But I don't talk to him about it every day because I want to bring my best to him. You all and one Real Life friend are where I share my ongoing Recovery journey.

March it!
Old 10-17-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Oh and DAVE, feel BETTER! So sorry about your back.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:37 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Hanging on for dear life....

This was too much. I took it off
Old 10-17-2011, 10:07 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hope you're OK Lofty. I missed whatever you edited.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I'm with you on that, frances. I'm glad you come here for support and understanding. It's really the only place I get it, too.

I'm kinda surprised my husband isn't more a cheerleader when it comes to me quitting. Obviously, it didn't bother him that much. A handful of friends know I quit but they didn't know it was an issue for me. I was talking to my oldest brother the other day (I'm closer to my other brother) about the smoking cuz he quit on the lozenges and he said it'll be tougher after I have a few drinks, so I said that I hadn't been drinking in X amount of time and he asked why. I just said I had been doing it too much and he said ok. Then he said HE hadn't had a drink in X amount of time either, which I kinda thought was a jacka** thing to say as he doesn't really drink. I suppose I'm too tough on him, but it's like if someone said they hadn't done crack in 6 mos and I said 'me either'. Just not very smooth, imo.

Anyway. Back to the point....yes, I'm awfully grateful I have you guys to talk to..and about anything..I love that.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

That's funny Mirage. I think you are doing GREAT and quitting smoking is an AMAZING gift to yourself.

On the topic of bad habits. I bite my nails compulsively and destructively. Or rather, I did until 6 weeks ago. I started my medication and *poof* the compulsion disappeared like it had never been part of me. All my nails grew out long and strong. I mentioned it to my Dr and she thought it was a pretty good side effect of feeling better. Anxious, much?

I do not own a nail file and I do not know how to properly shape them. Because I have always been a nail biter. I went for a manicure two weeks ago to have them cut to a workable length and squared off.

It's as though I have never bit my nails. Weird, huh?
Old 10-17-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
The Winner Takes It All!!!!!

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think your experience is comparatively rare PF.
You didn't change your life or your friends. You just decided to quit and bang you did it.
Thanks for your insight Dee, I can relate to being not quite right. I was in therapy for months before i quit, and boy did it help, it opened closed doors inside my head, and hundreds of old moths flew out. Imagine there are 2 yous, a child you, and an adult you, both huge parts in your life, i you grow older, you liten less to the child voice, and more t the adult voice. But its the child voice that usually hurts the most, and suffers, and what kicks off big time. I identified and spoke to the little Simon for the first time in 20 years, and he changed me, and now we speak all the time. This might not make much sense to people, so apologies, but speaking to child Simon helps Adult Simon function a whole lot better.

When my head was sorted, quitting seemed scary, but ended up being easy, im just lucky i guess.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

We're just glad you're sober, PF!

Thanks, Frances. It just feels good when someone acknowledges efforts and achievements. I consider these ginormous ones.
Wow..the mind is an amazing thing, isn't it? That's a nice "side effect" of feeling less anxious! Terrific!