Notices

Class Of March 2011 pt 8

Old 10-15-2011, 04:03 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Editor

I am with you today mirage. I have said f-it 5 times today and keep distracting myself in other directions. It will pass mirage. It always does. Quote above is from Austin Powers in case no one gets it.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Ok...can take a couple minutes and catch up.

First, I happen to know that Dave is part of the Donner party. They say he has a hollow leg, and I've heard it was a leftover from the Andes crash. His favorite movie is "The Ra Expedition". Eat your heart out, ladies!

Mirage, if I'm not mistaken I may have once gone to the Champps you will watch the game at tonight. I used to spend a week at a time in Farmington Hills and/or Novi.

I'm willing to bet good money that Detroit took the credits for a better tax break than Cinci was willing to give. I hear that's a follow the dollar type of thing.

I'm wiped out. I have had a full week and a full day. I'm too embarrassed to say how I spent my day, and how it turned out. Suffice it to say I no longer support the Cub Scouts, or their damn popcorn.

I'm going to a marching band competition in a couple minutes. Ran into old friends today, and they are going to see their son competing against mine, so we'll probably sit together and catch up. Fellow Lutherans, too.

PBC...am looking forward to hearing how all your productions go, and how the music goes tomorrow for you. We are taking a Sunday off to catch up on sleep.

Ok...should be about time for Australia to be rising, huh?

Have a great night or day, all!
Old 10-15-2011, 04:10 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Dammit, stop it you two. I've been too close today as well!
Old 10-15-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Editor

Ok, so I went to pick up dinner tonight. I found myself in the liquor store.......... I went strait to the beer section and walked around in a daze.......I picked up a six pack of Buckler.Put it back. Picked up a six pack of St. Paulis NA. Put it back. Went to the Ginger ale Isle.....picked some up and put it back. Looked at the prices of the sodas...had a minor melt down and walked out. Man today and tonight SUCKED! Everything was fine. I just wanted to drink with everyone else.........
I ended up at walgreens and spent 15 bucks on crap.
I picked at dinner and drank 3 huge cokes and took a shower.......I feel a little better, But I am a little disappointed in myself. I cant believe that I even walked in the dang store to start with.

I didnt break but I was bent back and touched the back of my head on my heals.

God..........Please let tomorrow be easier!!!!!!!!!

PLH
Dave
Old 10-15-2011, 06:40 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

I miss a day and have no idea what anyone else is on about LOL

Dave - don't be disappointed. It's human.

I've had days when I just wanted to drink with everyone else too...but I have to remember - they get up in the morning and go about their lives...I wake up in the gutter 3 weeks from now, wondering why it's November already.

The important thing is you didn't cave - and next time 'the guns' will be that little more powerful

I like me and I like my life as it is now...and I know you do too.
Not poisoning myself and my future seems like a pretty small price to pay, really

D
Old 10-15-2011, 07:19 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Editor

Thanks Dee!!!!! You Da Man! I will survive!
Old 10-15-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
orangutan

I felt like saying f*ck it myself today the sun is shining its a beautiful day the type you light the BBQ and invite the gang over . Hang in there my March friends .
Old 10-15-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

we can do it

D
Old 10-15-2011, 09:56 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Dave.. I want my baby back, baby back, baby back, baby back...

Wow..I'm so sorry everyone had a rough time today/tonight! Are you feeling any better, Dave? Don't be disappointed. We all have our moments and we can't always be perfect when it comes to this. We're works in progress and have been at this a relatively short time compared to how long we were drinking. Cut yourself some slack..ya done good.

aussie..hope you're feeling better. Your day is just starting and we're heading to bed. Happy Sunday to you and Dee!

Lofty..boy scout popcorn sucks. Just sayin. A boy scout came to my door the other day asking if I'd buy some, and it took all of my restraint not to say, "Hells to the no! Your corn SUCKS, boy scout!!" I don't really talk like that, but if I did, that's what I would have said....if I were a crazy person with no filter. Wow..small world on the Champps! What a lousy game!! Tigers are OUT.

Nite all. Let's have a better Sunday, eh? Love you guys!
Old 10-16-2011, 12:57 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Editor

Sorry about your Tigers mirage. I just saw the head lines when I was dialing into the hospital. Call is not good for normal sleeping habits. I am doing better now. A bag of Reese's and 1 liter of Soda later. Ok I am going back to bed.
See ya
Dave

Thanks again Dee!
Old 10-16-2011, 04:29 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Sorry I wasn't around yesterday and let's make Sunday r o c k for everyone.

I love how dee put it. Normal drinker I am not. Lol.

Shout out strength to Dave and lofty and mirage and Aussie and Iancal and toi and pbc and rebel and professor and our dee...and everyone else

Have a tickle in my throat and feel a little punky but 10 miles with my girls calls so off I go to run.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Apparently, the new admonition to remember is "Beware the Ides of October". It doesn't take a soothsayer to recognize the weirdness that 4 of 5 of us had a day that made us want to drink, for one reason or another, or a variety combo of reasons. I was pissed, Mirage was in a funk, Aussie wanted normalcy, and Dave was out of sorts for missing an otherwise fun family day.

It looks like we all made it through, I hope. Thanks to our anchor, Dee, and to our accountability to each other. I, for one, know I didn't want to be the one here today saying I caved. And, I'm glad I shan't. (In Baroque-style language).

But, I also can't keep stewing on what pissed me off, so I'll share. It's long-winded, and not interesting, so feel free to skip to the bottom. I help a lot of folks retire. Some are already retired. Part of my planning is helping them make their medicare decisions, from a needs/costs perspective. I kept having to outsource the sale of the product, though, as I don't really handle health insurance. Last year, I decided that was too much of a pain; to schedule, coordinate, etc., so I got certified and thought, hey, I'll make a few hundred per sale instead of giving it away. So I did, and I'm glad I did. I also get leads from the company I represent. A voluntary part of the program is agreeing to man a booth at a grocery store or drug store for a few hours a few times. I agreed to do so Saturday, and convinced myself it would be worth it as it was opening day for sales. Instead, when I got there I found they had set up the table/booth near the entry door where the carts are, a cold, windy, noisy mess not conducive to sales, and near the cub scouts selling their poopcorn (yes, I said that on purpose). Now, I was a scout, and raised scouts, and was a scout leader. Another conversation. These little imps were attacking every person in or out of the store, blocking my booth, being totally inconsiderate. I couldn't say anything, per rules of what I do and the company I represent. It was a complete waste of a day; I took a long lunch, drove across town, saw my son start his last cc race of his life, but couldn't see him finish as I had to drive back across town to deal with the cub imps. I didn't even have one conversation with an eligible prospect. I will NEVER do that again, and am dropping out of that retail program. It is the most humbling, least satisfying and least productive event that I do. But, it is activity, and activity is what counts. Prospecting for my job is like fishing; you never know what's gonna bite, or how big it is. My general agent will be happy, as he has never wanted me to do the program; "don't be one of those guys", he says. Well, I haven't made my 3 million yet like he has, so I'm not proud. And, I like to help people. I don't consider it bottom-feeding, but it does feel like it sometimes.

Okay...thanks for letting me rant and vent. I actually do feel better.

Today, will be a MUCH better day for all! Here, it's actually, truly a blustery day in the 100 acre wood! In fact, I just saw Christopher Robin snuggled under an apple tree reading a book, hair blown about. It won't be as tempting to be outside enjoying temperate weather in intemperate ways.

I hope all feel the same way.

Mirage...good for your Tigers to go as far as they did. I understand the letdown, though, as we went through it last year.

Dave...give that family a bear hug when they get home. It seems like that would do all of ya a lot of good.

Frances...thanks for the support. See how we all fall apart when you and Dee are gone for a day?

Aussie...I trust the f'it's didn't win out down under, either. Hope you are well.

All others...hang in there. Sobriety is what counts. Let's keep each other sober and accountable to ourselves!
Old 10-16-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Ugh..that DOES sound like a bummer day, Lofty. I'm sorry you had to waste a perfectly good Saturday. Too bad I didn't rant about the popcorn sooner, you coulda marched over to the imps' table with your hands on your hips, sayin somethin like "Oh yeah? Well I hear your popcorn sucks!" Then you could snap your fingers in a z formation and rotate your head around-ok, forget it.

The wind has calmed here, but it's a dark day. Good day to snuggle up with some football! DH and oldest are on their way home from the U.P. 9 hour drive, so they won't be back till around dinner time. That boy better have his homework done when he gets home or heads are gonna roll. (I'm not really an ornery person, it's just fun to pretend.)

PBC..anything special happening in church today? You're so dang busy, girl, I can't keep up with what's goin on over there. Yes, we will have to meet for hot chocolate next time I'm over there. Lol...Dave's wife must sleep with one eye open. "Stop that! I'm just SLEEPING!!"

aussie and dee..hope you're gettin a good night's sleep!

Ooh frances, I hope you're not getting sick! 10 miles...good grief. I feel so lazy when I read your posts. Thanks for the strength shout out.

Oh! Update! 3 weeks on the quitting smoking and day 9 with no nicotine lozenges!! With not smoking OR drinking, I'm not sure I recognize myself, honestly. It's almost scary. I don't want to think about it too much, it freaks me out. Like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. That's silly, I know. But I'm super happy!!
Old 10-16-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
The Winner Takes It All!!!!!

Originally Posted by LoftyIdeals View Post
I'm going to a marching band competition in a couple minutes.
I used to be in one of those, in one year i learnt to play the drum, in the second year i was promoted to Lead Drum and won the Lead Drummer of the season, picking up 10 x 1st, 4 x 2nd and a couple of 3rd's. I miss playing but never had chance as an adult to play again.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Nice going, PF! You should pick it up again. I've been thinking about getting back into music. My son is paying dues as a freshman by playing the jingle stick with the marchers, but plays drum set in jazz band.

They took first of 7 or 8 schools last night.

Speaking of music, what ever happened to those beautiful renditions online, Mirage? Are you still singing? I looked for them again on that website, but couldn't find them. You sure have a beautiful voice!

Congrats on the smoking/nicotine accomplishment! Without drinking, I'm not nearly as tempted by the smoking. It smells disgusting when I smell second-hand smoke.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Must say though still dont feel like part of the gang here, mainly in part because so many are still strugglng. I would heartly offer some words of encouragement but dont have any similar problems to identify with. Why after 7 months are people stuggling? I honestly would like to know so I can try to understand and empathise.

The longer time passes us by, the more i begin to wonder if it is a psychological state of mind we are fighting, as surely the physical effects have long past, our body should no longer need alcohol.

I tried to think of an analogy that was something i could relate to, and my shrink thought it was pretty good. Imagine our body to be a computer, its great new, but if we keep putting crap on it, or download dodgy stuff onto it, in time viruses hit it, it slows down, you really want to chuck it out. Instead of giving up though, what can we do restore it. There are reboot methods which clear things up. Upgrading antivirus software etc. There are many many other ways.

The point is the computer wasnt crap to begin with was it, its downfall was what went into it. When a PC is restored yes we can make the same mistake again, but we now have the knowledge of how to prevent it. We can even add software to improve performance and upgrade memory, we have the ability to make the computer run better than it did when we got it.

Our brain can be reprogrammed in the same fashion, find your updates and upgrade, find a better antivirus package and install. Think like a machine not a human being. The need for a beer isnt real, its a dodgy virus we can easily get rid of.

Failing that, i find that thinking about the people i hate and them wanting me fail, callng me a loser, laughing at me if i fail. I soon find myself laughing back saying to myself er not this time you pricks Im stronger than you think, I'll show you all. Somehow that does the trick very quickly indeed.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:10 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

im also contemplating doing a few personal you tube karoke numbers and banging em up on here.........do i dare lol.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:43 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

UGH, Lofty, I am so with you on the frustration for yesterday. UGH and good riddance.

MIRAGE! What an ACCOMPLISHMENT! Woot Woot!

Nice to see you Professor!

DAVE DAVE DAVE how is today going so far?

Indeed we will be prepared for the Ides of November--somebody write it down to help me remember!

This morning's run was good in the chilly air, a very workmanlike run, just get it done.

My gang is gearing up for the Philadelphia Half Marathon in 34 days. I'm ready today so I just have to keep my miles up and sensible and glide right on in to a great race day.

Husband leaves today for a 5 day business trip so I will be hanging around her more than usual most likely!

Old 10-16-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Speaking for myself only, PF..it's not a "struggle" every day. But times do come up where I think back to the old ways and feel weak. Why after so long? Because I spent 30 years drinking and 3 months not drinking. It takes awhile to break habits and rewire my way of thinking. It makes perfect sense to me!

Thanks, frances! That's great you're ready now..it's gonna be a cake walk! (Mmmm..did someone say cake??)

Lofty, I had to laugh. I just picked up B from my folks and we all went out to lunch at a coney island. Guess who was parked out in front of the restaurant? The pushy popcorn imps!!! I wedgied one of em for ya.

Go Lions..it's game time! And I'm seriously crushing on our head coach. He's the wallpaper on my computer and my son called me obsessive. lol
Old 10-16-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Thanks Lofty! Funny, I can't seem to log into that site where I put those tunes. sigh. I may have to find another place to put them. Weird.