Notices

Members with less than 2 weeks -Part 9

Old 11-19-2009, 07:09 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Ah the Ying and Yang of life......

When I tried to use my Visa card...I discovered it had been canceled.
For 40 years I've only used it for purchases over
$150 ...never had a problem...it was renewed in June.

It got zapped because I had a zero balance for
90 days. They must notify cardholders of this
action in some states....tho not in Georgia.

I guess useing credit responsibly is no longer allowed?

Recent positives....lung . doctor agreed I was much
improved by the new inhaler. Lung capacity up by 15%.
My AA friend Vi drove me over..we lunched in a new restarant
and we had lots of fellowshipping.

I mailed a Xmas box full of snacks to my Army Grandson
sean....who is on his 2nd. tour in Afghanistan.
Your prayers/good thoughts would be appreciated.

Called my longest closest best friend in Md. to giggle on
her birthday. She is the sister I never had

Congratulations to all....you brighten my life....
Old 11-20-2009, 12:29 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Asta, VC, congrats!

I'm finished day 3 now. The physical stuff seems over, no cravings or anything. Moods

Had a really good time with people earlier, in a drinking situation no less. My first time with people in a casual social environment for a long time, since before sobriety for sure. I didn't drink--didn't even feel compelled to--and had a great time.

Of course, it's bubbaland, and I got food poisoning... Great way to introduce myself to my new roommates.

First thing I did today, I went to the rehab to sign up. They said I was inappropriate because of possible medical complications (detoxing) and the fact that it was likely, given my history, that I wouldn't be able to stay sober for the 60 day wait period. So they recommended me to the county contractor, because they can handle detox. I called, and they told me it was a $50 fee to get on the wait list and $200 to go in. The wait is 9-12 months. So, until something better comes along, I'm bound to just try again... and probably again. I guess at least I'm sober more than I ever was... A lot more sober days than drinking days since July.

I'll get through school, even if it's as rocky as it is now... I got peace in my new house (they asked me if their guest could come!). I'll get through. And if I go to grad school, it'll be in another state, another county... if it's still a problem, I might have that option then.

Overall, a positive day... although this food poisoning hurts... as much as it makes me laugh.

Take care,
TB, who can't win for losing... but still sober and back to laughing at the whole thing
Old 11-20-2009, 12:40 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

congrats the 14day'ers!! :highfives: gives me hope...

sitting here at my laptop & my flatmates are off to drink with the rest of the friday world! but i have chocoloate & ice cream and fresh straw berries
7 days sober feeling much happier already. went to an AA meeting yesterday. had to leave to hide in the bathroom 3 times during meeting due to stomach cramps...kinda embarrassing but just goes to show and served for a nice eye opener...determined to nail this. saw doc today and looks like im gonna be sweet...so thats some peace of mind, was worried id wrecked my body.

good to be back...

postive vibes to ya'll

:-)
nd
Old 11-20-2009, 01:19 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Would it be OK if I join this thread again? I used to come here as PaddingtonBear, but I've been very sick again with alcohol for a long time and haven't posted since about January. Please can I come back?

I've tried so many different things to break free from alcohol for 3 years now and just keep falling down, but I want to keep trying to get well.

I even changed my user name to try to change as a person - PaddingtonBear was always relapsing but I hope BrixtonBear will get well. Today is day 1 for me.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:32 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

ND, you and me both.... only I don't have the strawberries... appreciate the vibes though

Bear, why not? I've been here about 3 or 4 times... and relapsed a few more than that. Sometimes I was just too embarrassed to come here again, but for some reason it works for me. I graduated twice. Which is pretty good for me.

Welcome to day one Bear, hope the name change works for you, and if it does, I'll be fortybubba--and I'm not joking here. I'll try anything, I think...

Don't mean to scare off new people, I'm just not good at this. Many are really good at this.

Take care all y'all...
TB
Old 11-20-2009, 07:16 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

BrixtonBear......
Glad to know you are making a fresh start
Please do continue to share with us

Welcome back
Old 11-20-2009, 07:24 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  
being me

Hey BrixtonBear.... glad you are here!
I too have disappeared from this thread at times, but it is my favorite to come back to. As long as I come back, I know I am on the right path.
I have continued to try new things (like acupuncture) and kept up the old things that were working (like counseling) and have continued to improve. Progress, not perfection, right?
Hope everyone has a good day!
Old 11-20-2009, 07:33 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Congrats to Asta and VC!! Well done, friends!

Welcome back Brixtonbear...glad you're here with us!
Old 11-20-2009, 07:36 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Hi ND.....
Well done on our sober week.....

BTW....when you have a post count of 15
please try again the show us Nate.
It might work then.

Good to see you again...
Old 11-20-2009, 07:39 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Mirage.....

Grrr...

TB...

Let's all move forward today
Old 11-20-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Ditto what Mirage said. To many posts to comment on all of them this morning. It's great to see success here. BrixtonBear I've heard the question raised, is relapse a part of recovery? I still don't know the answer but I think most of us do relapse before we are done. It's good to have you back.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:34 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Morning y'all,

Relapse as a part of recovery? Not an expert here, obviously, but I'd say no--maybe I just hope not.

I drank every day for a million years. That was the drinking. I was addicted to liquor.

I sobered up, and stumbled a bunch. This is the balancing out, if you will, the toe-in the water part. I am addicted to sobering up, but the old addiction still lingers.

Someday I will just go around being sober and knowing what to do. That's the recovery part, I figure. The liquor addiction will be largely gone, perhaps pop up in a craving or something.

I'm not there yet, but I don't really want it to include relapsing all the time... this is neither fun nor good for my self esteem.

Just the opinion of somebody who doesn't actually know what 'recovery' is 'cause never been there... *shuffles feet*

Take care y'all, wish y'all the best of days,
TB, again, not an expert
Old 11-20-2009, 09:52 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Sobriety circle...

Asta and VC - haven't given my congrats yet, so WAY TO GO. You two are an inspiration and keep me truckin' right along...

And to everyone that is joining the thread (or re joining, doesn't matter ) WONDERFUL to hear your stories and to have you here! I think it's pretty awesome that right when we have a few friends here make it to the 2 week mark...that new friends join on the journey. Kind of a circle of hope, right?

Bear - no worries about coming back on the thread after a few attempts in the past. This is my first time posting on this thread, and have made doing well so far...but I have posted on many, many other online support forums in the past and failed. That's my personality - get all excited and hyped up about recovery, post away, then relapse and hide and be too mad at myself to post again. So good for you for posting again - on the same forum

In fact the other day I was reading some posts on a different forum (few weeks ago, while I was drinking) and came across a woman saying how badly she wanted to quit, how she didn't know how, that she was drinking every day and felt like her spirit was gone. I thought 'christ that's just like me'. And then realized...it was me. It was a post I had posted about 1.5 years ago. That made me pretty sad to know I've struggled that long. But some of us do. And perhaps we need to in some way. Only God knows.

Anyways, on Day 8 today - feeling kind of weird physically - my limbs feel like they weight 200 pounds each, and I can't seem to drag myself out of bed. But emotionally I'm feeling optimistic. And have no desire whatsoever to go for a drink. I don't want to start this process all over again dang it.

Perhaps what will get me out the door is the thought of buying ice cream...sounds perfect nouble

Besos to everyone - enjoy your friday!
Rose

p.s. Carol - isn't that weird about the credit cards? I tried to get a loan once, but because I didn't have 'enough debit' on my credit cards, I couldn't get one. How horrible!
Sending prayers to your grandson and everyone overseas...
Old 11-20-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Sobriety circle...

Sorry guys - accidentally posted twice. So yes, not only am I incredibly fatigued today...but living in a brain fog

Last edited by RoseSalud; 11-20-2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: duplicate
Old 11-20-2009, 09:55 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

morn ya'll

sat morn & off to a 10am AA meeting, ill give it a burl.
thanks for the support guys...thanks thirtybubba yeah i think we got it kinda similar...makes me feel a little better to know people understand.
tonight should b interesting...i have to DJ at a nightclub, lucky have a sober friend to help out.
wish me luck & ill see you in the next morn...sober (fingas crossed)

i guess just dont have that first drink, do something else fun instead.

\"/
Old 11-20-2009, 10:15 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

TB.....I too had many stumbles searching for my sobriety.
I did not consider these as part of my sobriety efforts
but rather part of my addiction to alcohol.

It took years of drinking to get me to the point I was
even interested in quitting
I simply figured thats why took me years to overcome my addiction.

The word recovery is what I use to denote my
experiences after solid sobriety. Again....it took me years
to actually feel/live as a recovered alcoholic.

But....it did happen for me and it can happen for you.

If anyone tells me they are an expert on what
I need regarding my alcoholism.......I'd be tuneing
them out immediately.....:
Old 11-20-2009, 10:25 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Thanks so much to everyone for the congrats and encouraging words. They really mean a lot. Other times when I have tried to cut back (I've really never wholeheartedly tried to quit before -- went to rehab for a month several years ago but didn't have my heart in it) I really didn't have a support group as great as you guys. Reading and posting here every day really gives me a boost. And it's really turning out to be more of trying to help other people than the reverse. I didn't expect that to happen but it has.

ThirtyB: Your post at 12:29 sounded so... positive. It was great to see you in a good mood. I hope your mood was still positive at 9:30. It was hard to tell. I am pulling for you every day!!

Nouble: Day 7! WooHoo! A week is a big milestone.

Brixton: Since I'm new, never saw you as PaddingtonB. (I did spend the night at the hotel at Paddington station a few years back however and rode the train to and from Wales. It was cool!) Hope to see more of you!

Rose: A big WooHoo to you too on day 8. Feels good, huh? Amazing about running into your old post! I'm still hoping you are working on your tan to make all your WA compadres (?sp) envious. This has been the RAINIEST November!!

Have a great day everyone! Thanks & :ghug3 to all.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:06 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Originally Posted by RoseSalud View Post
but I have posted on many, many other online support forums in the past and failed. That's my personality - get all excited and hyped up about recovery, post away, then relapse and hide and be too mad at myself to post again. So good for you for posting again - on the same forum
I used to be that way as well Rose, same with AA meetings. I have managed to stay on the outside for years by changing meetings every time I relapse.......what a mistake that has been!!! I'm now taking a stand here and I have one AA group I go to consistently now. It was really hard but well worth it. Running doesn't work

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
If anyone tells me they are an expert on what
I need regarding my alcoholism.......I'd be tuneing
them out immediately.....:
Carol, I want you to listen to me very carefully....I am an expert on what YOU need regarding YOUR alcoholism.

Sorry I couldn't resist.....:ghug3
Originally Posted by Asta1 View Post
Reading and posting here every day really gives me a boost. And it's really turning out to be more of trying to help other people than the reverse. I didn't expect that to happen but it has.
It's an amazing thing when we have a serious craving and we have the thought to come here or anywhere and help someone who is struggling in there first days of sobriety. It's a great way to make it through cravings, we forget all about our selves.

But first we must work on our own sobriety and learn how to stay sober so we can tell Carol what to do.....err....I mean because we can't give away what we don't have....yeah that's what I meant.

I'm enjoying the positive vibes in this thread. Thank you all for letting me be a part of it.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:21 PM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Once again, Dean, you took the words right out of my mouth...I mean keyboard! I'm reading along and am getting such a fine feeling from all of the good vibes here!

Hiya Brixton...I remember you as PB!!! Ditto, again, to not only have the courage to come back but also to speak of changing your screename so honestly.

There's a real aura here in the last few days...for lack of a better word...Hope describes it too.

Thank you for keeping me sober today!:ghug2
Old 11-20-2009, 06:28 PM
  # 440 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Brixton Bear

D