Notices

Members with less than 2 weeks -Part 9

Old 11-24-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

ND..you are spot on....whenever I feel an "impulse" to drink, invariably, if I poke a little, there's a feeling in there that I want to avoid. And as long as I know that it's the "feeling" that is the root, I can withstand the impulse. Back to knowledge being good sometimes (TB!!

Hiya Asta....good for you. You sound stoked! I'll remember about the giblets
Old 11-24-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

P.S. If you're making turkey, don't forget to yank out the giblet bag! Saw some funny stuff on Food Network about neophyte cooks forgetting that little thing!
That was me first year making turkey

Congrat's everyone on another sober day.

Have a Happy Sober Thanksgiving. We all have much to be Thankful for.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:59 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Almost turkey day...

Afternoon all!

SO glad I don't have to worry about making a turkey...but I'm already starting to worry a bit about the dinner. Of course

I'm worried that others will be drinking wine, and laughing it up and relaxing, and that I'll be uncomfortable / not know what to say / want to hide but can't because I'm at a friend's house that I don't know too well. I'm going to a dinner here w/ my sober friend from AA, but there will be new people and alcohol and MAN does that sound intimidating!!

I have confidence today that I will not want to drink - I don't want to start back on Day 1 again, and well, my sober friend would never let booze touch these lips! Plus, my birthday is Saturday, and I want to be proud to celebrate it sober. (The last time I did that was....)

But still, just feeling socially anxious. I know I shouldn't be worrying about it already (or at all). A sober friend once said, to just fake it till you make it. Pretend like I'm having a blast, and who knows, maybe I will?!

Here's to having a vvvunderful time this Thanksgiving - sober - and only feeling guilty the next morning, because we had that second piece of pumpkin pie

Besos!
Rose
Old 11-24-2009, 04:26 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Rose, I think having your AA friend there should give you a great deal of confidence that you can make it through the day without sharing the wine. I don't see any reason to explain yourself to anyone. I would (at least I hope I would) simply say No Thanks to the wine and request a club soda with lime or whatever they have on hand that sounds tasty. Invariably there will be toasting of some kind at the dinner and as long as you have a glass to raise, you'll be fine. I have lots of confidence in you. You are doing SO WELL!

I'm pretty sure you'll have a good time. Gotta make the first jump into this type of situation eventually. I haven't had to do so, so far. You can be my shining example!!
Old 11-24-2009, 07:28 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Hi all...wow, I missed so much not having been here for one day! You guys are awesome!
grrr...have a great trip..it sounds amazing.
70 days for Dean...can't even imagine that.
Lotsa good thoughts on thoughts. (haha.) But really. I have a lot to learn!

I'm a little nervous about this weekend. Last time, I was at day 14 when I decided to drink again, and this weekend I will be at day 14 and away for the weekend with a fair amount of drinking going on around me. Oh, and no internet! Urrrghhh! I feel good about it now, but the thoughts really sneak up on me. I'll be fine, it's just..I dunno. I know I can't stay home and not do anything forever. I'll be fine. Lol..I think I'm convincing myself.

Sounds like you all are doing great! Thanks for being here! :ghug3
Old 11-24-2009, 07:42 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Mirage, You WILL DO FINE. I don't know what it is about 2 weeks but that was a problem for me too. But I got past it this time! I credit SR support a lot and especially my same day sober buddy, ViciousCycle. We are both hanging in there at the end of day 19. VC said she would hang in there with me for 3 weeks, which is Thanksgiving. Don't want to look too far forward, but 3 weeks would be a record breaker for me (as was 18 days).

Maybe bring some of your own favorite beverages with you this weekend. If you drink coffee, bring some instant and your favorite mug and use the microwave.

I'll be thinking of you!!
Old 11-24-2009, 08:14 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Thanks Asta...oh yeah, I'll be drinkin lots of hot chocolate and tea! I guess the hardest thing is that I'll be there with my brother..we're really close and we've always drank together and whooped it up when we go away together. It'll just be an adjustment. I'll be fine. Lol...I should put that on a t-shirt or something. Thanks again. I don't go till Friday, so I'll check in here as much as I can before I go for the weekend.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:49 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Hey y'all...

Feeling good tonight--I had a presentation and I got all kinds of clapping after. Mostly I feel good 'cause it was something I was supposed to do a few weeks ago, but I was drunk... Maybe the quality of it will make up for the tardiness? Hopefully...

Mirage, don't let the fact that 14 is where you went out before linger at you... Aim for 15... and then keep going.

My roommates probably think I'm nuts... I was dancing around the kitchen making dinner, and singing to my ipod (which they can't hear).

Maybe I am.

I don't have to worry about turkey at least... no family to speak of within a few thousand miles. I'll be alone on Thanksgiving... and Christmas... and New Years... just another year of lonely holidays for me. Was trying to avoid thinking about it. Too late...

Well, I'm happy at least. And I got a *lot* of work to do this weekend... basically 8 upper-division classes. All of the work. It'll be fun y'all...

This is why I shouldn't drink... this happens. Work piles up.

Take care y'all,
TB
Old 11-24-2009, 11:30 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thirtybubba View Post
Feeling good tonight--I had a presentation and I got all kinds of clapping after. Mostly I feel good 'cause it was something I was supposed to do a few weeks ago, but I was drunk... Maybe the quality of it will make up for the tardiness? Hopefully...
A Big WooHoo for you!! and

You seem to have made so much progress in the last week or so. I think it's terrific. Your strength is showing, big time.

I'll be around my computer off and on all this holiday weekend, around Xmas & New Years. Not going out of town or anything. If you need to vent, I'll listen and probably give some annoying response. :-D
Old 11-25-2009, 01:07 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

Congratulations Dean on your 70 days, wow that's fantastic!

Grrr, have a lovely time in Argentina! I'll miss you!

Thanks, everyone, for all the positive encouragement in all the posts. I'm into day 6 today, the longest I've gone without a drink in over 10 months, and it's all down to the support here in this thread. I want to give you all a big hug!

BrixtonBear
Old 11-25-2009, 03:44 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

This has become my favorite thread to read. I'm pulling for all of you and love your spirit.

We will all miss you grrrr.....Argentina! I'm so jealous. Enjoy every minute of it and take lots of pictures to share with us.

NG NIKE the counciling! Your so right just not drinking isn't enough. I say try anything and everything to stay sober.

RoseSalud your post (#483) sounds to me like you are right where you are supposed to be. You captured the first holiday in early sobriety feeling and put it in your post. One small suggestion with the social anxiety that has helped me through family get togethers is to simply know that I don't have to be the center of attention. In fact I am more then willing to let anyone and everyone else be while I'm just one person among many. I can relax and just be a small part of it. I'm not saying you think you need to be the center of attention btw but the self conscious social anxiety thinking is way to concerned about what others think I should be doing when I don't really have to be doing anything. Did that make sense?

Mirage we can't stay home forever but there is no real need to rush anything either. Your doing great.

Asta I love that you and VC are staying sober together....well we all are but it's great to see you two supporting each other.

TB....you are nuts....I thought we established that weeks ago. Dancing around the kitchen making dinner with your ipod on sounds fun to me....Which doesn't say much for your sanity.

Brixton that's great that you have your longest sobriety in 10 months! Your why we are here.

I think that is everyone....oh, our 3 angels Hideor, Bee and Carol. for making this a great thread to be a part of.

Maybe I'm just in a good mood this morning but I have to say Sobriety suites you all very well. :ghug3
Old 11-25-2009, 05:44 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

What a lovely post, Dean! Particularly the bit about sobriety suiting everyone! How true!

Asta, I'll be here (over the weekend, as well)....so, at the very least, we'll keep each other company.

I'm going to bore you all and go back to the "adversary" thought again. What if instead of feeling "lack" at the gatherings, I see it as a challenge? Again, instead of it coming from within me, I see it as something I refuse to let spoil my time! Take that, you beast...sort of thing....

The other thing that offers me incredible comfort is that I am convinced that everything happens for a reason...my alcoholism included. And I have been given this "challenge" in my life in order to learn and become a better person. I personally have so much, so I think gratitude, rather than deprivation and challenge, rather than fighting myself.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:06 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Everyone.....

Mirage's mantra "I'll be fine" got me playing around
with it and I offer this for consideration....
FINE

I'll be Fun..Interesting..Nice...Energetic

Congratulations to all ....
Let's have another day of winning
Old 11-25-2009, 06:10 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As some of you might know....we close long threads
and begin new ones......

That's what I am going to do right now.
Please do join in our fresh thread

Here is the link to the new one