Wife worse after rehab for alcoholism

Old 02-24-2019, 08:04 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beachn View Post

The more I think about it the angrier I become.

Seriously. You can’t make this crap up.

Yes. It really does go beyond understanding. It is why we are all here as we found ourselves in some version of what you are experiencing. It just sucks beyond anything.

So good to hear that you are getting therapy and support. I'm not sure what you should do but with time and support you will probably untangle what you need to do next.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:33 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

I am sorry to say this but they have to want to quit. I am in rehab now and people treat it like a vacation sometimes. A lot of people do it to get a tolerance break. If your wife is not ready to quit, you can live with it until she possible does want to quit or you can try to get out of that situation. I am very sorry that you are in the situation that you are in. My only advice is to go to an Al Anon Meeting.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

The anger is getting to me. I know it, can feel it changing me and I don’t like it. Not one bit.

The vacilation of emotions isn’t right, I want to be free of it and don’t know how.

Acceptance my counselor said, this is my life right now. Accept it, be patient and let the anger go. If only I knew how to do that consistently.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:55 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Beachn…...it may not be possible, while your wife is still so sick and living under the same roof. that is the whole point of my …."living apart, in the mountains of Napal" commentary.
It is pretty darn hard to "let it go" while you are still breathing the same air as the object of your anger...…
It seems to me that some kind of separated living would be a first step....
Old 02-25-2019, 10:58 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Given the circumstances I think it’s OK for you to feel anger, its’ a perfectly normal emotion to feel. I believe anger can be a good motivator for change in our lives.

Being angry at her will prevent you from being dominated and manipulated by her right now.

The key is to not allow the anger to get out of control but to realize a healthy amount of anger is OK and may even be a good defense mechanism for you at the moment.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:42 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I think you have every right to feel angry. It can be a great catalyst for change. Use it in a positive constructive way and "move mountains" to get to a better life. Fight for it.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:45 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

building on what atalose just said...I do think that anger can be a normal emotion and can be beneficial if it leads to Constructive Change.
Constructive Change are the key words, there...lol...
when the anger becomes over the top, so much that it becomes overwhelming...one can find the tail wagging the dog.....

You can be sure, that, with the crackling atmosphere of the toxicity between the two of you....it is not going to go away , on its own....
There is no change, if there is no change.....
Old 02-25-2019, 02:38 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

I get that anger if directed toward something positive can be helpful, constructive. It’s not that kind of anger. I’m experiencing paralyzing anger, such a terrible and destructive force.

It’s like being encased in concrete and trying to redirect it is equivalent to trying to chip away at it from the outside, when what would be more effective is to emerge from it.

My heart and compassion are my strengths, my capacity to grow from pain, once I accept it, always leads me to a better life, throughout my life. Staying angry never works for me because I use it to punish.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:57 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Beach.....I get it...you have paralyzing anger.....that is exactly why I think that living separately, now, would be a more merciful move.....
A person needs some space and emotional distance to be able to get some perspective and relief....

Generally, anger is the emotion that is covering fear of some kind...…

Would you not consider emerging from your "encasement of concrete"....does that not make sense, to you?

Beach...I have been on this forum for several years...over 13 thousand posts. I have read thousands more than that...lol...
I feel safe in saying that there are thousands and thousands of real life stories, on this forum, of those who have lived for years with the kinds of things that you are talking about, with their alcoholic.....THEN, upon moving into a separate living situation....they report with amazement and surprise that their mental outlook markedly improved....most of them, immediately.....
Old 02-25-2019, 03:24 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Dandylion, I believe you whole heartedly and I’m considering it as an option. Funny thing is as a co-dep trying to change my ways I still worry about how far she has fallen, and the changes that are as someone else pointed out, scary. I also know people are more resilient than is apparent. Particularly high functioning addicts, their resourcefulness and craftiness are quite amazing, until of course they aren’t.

I’m gonna sit on it a few days as she puts her treatment plan together, and continue to focus on myself and the kids. I’m a firm believer that when people treat you poorly, rarely does it have anything to do with you, and everything to do with them.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:35 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

A final thought before I take a break from thinking about all of this.

The underworld of addiction is an unpleasant and unpredictable place for non addicts. I see these people and their disease as threats to the very fabric of normal life. Destruction follows them, they create chaos wherever they go, are a danger to themselves, their families and society at large and there isn’t a damn thing anyone can do.

Their far away eyes, pained and lined faces are the result of their lives and minds being hijacked by a substance, that in my wife’s case, you can run a car on, for others ease the pain of the dying or a cocktail of chemicals that can kill the manufacturer. Is it any wonder they act possessed, at times demonic? I want my children out of that world immediately.

What’s a stupid idea? Throwing them together as part of a rehabilitation program, with poor supervision, poor planning, and their own trashed executive functions. Allow them to romanticize about how great sex is on this drug, the “adventures” on this one. The effed up things they did, and laugh at the telling like it’s a scene from a comedy, that only the addicts find funny.

I recall being at an al anon meeting with an AA meeting going on in the room next door. Suddenly the A.A. room burst with laughter, at that moment all the people in the al anon room shrunk and the room grew quiet. They know that laugh, the one that recounts absurd and damaging behavior, yet the AAers laugh in convenient amnesia, forgetting someone paid in terrible ways for that “funny” memory. Such is the callousness of addiction. The remember when’s aren’t funny outside the dark world of addiction.

In rehab it seems some(most considering the relapse rate) are running from their guilt, shame and personal responsibility and they cling to one another looking for acceptance and understanding, probably even “love” because they hate themselves. Hate being locked up for their behavior. Because they are ultimately cowards. Cowards looking for an easy escape, like a drug, from their choices and so they create even more chaos. Holding each other back with distractions, and lies. Pretending to be “normal”

They are neck dip in sh_t and pushing each other’s heads into the honeypot for a new type of fix and still do not care about any one.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:57 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Life is good

I hear your pain.

Do you know any alcoholics in recovery? My Al-anon home group has many. Al-anon keeps the focus on Al-anon. I get to know my double-winner friends in good ways by also attending open AA meetings.

The laughter of our AA friends can help us look at the healing opportunities humor brings.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:01 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Life is good

Perceptions change as we change. The long silence that sometimes can happen between shares in a meeting used to feel super uncomfortable to me, like no one wanted to talk.

Now it feels like:

Peace

Comfort

Trust

Good things in the "in between" that help bring these things into all areas of life.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:02 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Didn’t want my last post on this forum to be a negative rant. Yes, my life has sucked because of alcoholism, but I enabled, allowed and accepted the bad behavior thinking there was some way I could wrestle control away from the vodka and return things to “normal”. Whatever that means.

Sitting around thinking about everything that has happened and worrying about what could happen is pointless.

I double checked and still have my balls, and I remember who I was before fixing this nightmare became more important than living. You can’t save an alcoholic, but you can save yourself.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:06 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Beachn…..lol...It sounds like you are chiseling your way out of your "cement encacement"…...
Old 03-02-2019, 11:06 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

"and I remember who I was before fixing this nightmare became more important than living."

I'm so sorry for what you are going through. I am in a similar place to where you are, emotionally. Yesterday, I thought all the way back to high school, and about things then that brought me joy, and how glad I am that many of them still bring joy (good music, beautiful places). I remembered that person I was, and that I still am, who looked forward to things in life.

Soon I will have to face the decision of who moves out following a rehab stint. I have learned from my therapist and people here that it's the best path (living apart for at least a year) toward healing. I don't know how I will make that happen, or if AH will come out wanting to leave anyway, or how we'd afford it.

Also, I hear you on the disgust at what goes happens in some rehab facilities. My AH told me his "roommate" had sneaked in his drug of choice and actually been able to inject them. I was horrified by this, not knowing how that affects AH's recovery (he is there for alcohol), what if anything to do or say. I told him to report his roommate, but who knows if he did, or how much other patients lose out on recovery-wise when one patient obviously could care less about getting better. Clearly it helps nobody. I thought rehab was where friends were made, and that you actually got better through each other's experiences. I am sure that happens as well, but d*mn.

So it goes back to: just for today, I focus my mind on other things that I can control. I will find time for joy, and as others have mentioned, humor (yay Netflix). I pray your wife can face her demons, and that you can find some peace and hope for the future. You ARE still here, to live, not just fix her.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:18 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Didn’t want my last post on this forum to be a negative rant. Yes, my life has sucked because of alcoholism, but I enabled, allowed and accepted the bad behavior thinking there was some way I could wrestle control away from the vodka and return things to “normal”. Whatever that means.

Sitting around thinking about everything that has happened and worrying about what could happen is pointless.

I double checked and still have my balls, and I remember who I was before fixing this nightmare became more important than living. You can’t save an alcoholic, but you can save yourself.

You are sounding better

i know it's not a decision you want to make now, but being in your own place with the kids would be so much more peaceful IMO. Of course you are angry with all that has happened, but I think having it uncomfortably shoved in your face daily and trying to maintain composure around the kids is a difficult path to say the least
Old 03-04-2019, 05:31 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

This entire situation is bizarre and complex, too much for my brain to process, I am apparently doing it in chunks which is the best I can do at the moment. Dissecting it with the mindset that alcoholism is the root doesn’t make it any easier.

Been married a long time, pre booze we were awesome and SOB if this disease didn’t pickle her brain. A 105 lb woman cannot consume 500ml of hardliquor everyday for 4 years and not emerge a train wreck.

As for rehabs, I personally have no faith in them as in her group of 10, 7 relapsed in a week, 1 died as a result. These places are a joke. Putting a bunch of immature, egomaniacs with low self esteem together and calling it treatment is absurd. I wouldn’t want to make a rehab friend, that sounds crazy to me. Like picking up a best bud from the psych ward.

The insanity of addiction, isn’t that how it’s described in al anon and A.A.yet they are encouraged to socialize outside with other newly released addicts for support. The doom and gloom of seeing others relapse and die from it ain’t so good for moral or recovery. I would think what’s the point of even trying if my peers are dropping off the wagon like flies.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:28 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Beachn

I could not agree more. I hated the "friends" my DW made in AA. A bunch of sick people. Thankfully she has stopped going often and not seeing these bad influences anymore. In Al-Anon, which I still attend weekly, the ones who have been going for years are like a bunch of beaten dogs.

I say if it is intolerable, dont find how to tolerate it, cut the cancer out and be done with it.

My W has managed to ease it all back to where alcohol is not consuming our lives.

Are you familiar with "The Orange Papers"? Look it up.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:30 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

This entire situation is bizarre and complex, too much for my brain to process, I am apparently doing it in chunks which is the best I can do at the moment. Dissecting it with the mindset that alcoholism is the root doesn’t make it any easier.

Been married a long time, pre booze we were awesome and SOB if this disease didn’t pickle her brain. A 105 lb woman cannot consume 500ml of hardliquor everyday for 4 years and not emerge a train wreck.

As for rehabs, I personally have no faith in them as in her group of 10, 7 relapsed in a week, 1 died as a result. These places are a joke. Putting a bunch of immature, egomaniacs with low self esteem together and calling it treatment is absurd. I wouldn’t want to make a rehab friend, that sounds crazy to me. Like picking up a best bud from the psych ward.

The insanity of addiction, isn’t that how it’s described in al anon and A.A.yet they are encouraged to socialize outside with other newly released addicts for support. The doom and gloom of seeing others relapse and die from it ain’t so good for moral or recovery. I would think what’s the point of even trying if my peers are dropping off the wagon like flies.

I believe dandylion mentioned it earlier, but most Rehabs are centered around 12 step (75% of them are, I believe). You do get the structure/ routine that people are lacking, but if she was motivated, she could go to meetings more or less for free, or at minimal cost.

However, if you/ she aren’t happy with that model, you might want to look up Integrative medicine & addiction. Perhaps something more Holistic in nature would be something that you would prefer to spend your money on. Not sure about your wife and how motivated she is, but that’s an idea if you aren’t happy with what you’ve been seeing out there with conventional treatment methods. Good luck!