Wife worse after rehab for alcoholism

Old 02-09-2019, 11:14 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beachn View Post

i learned today that while in rehab she was asked to write a life story of all the bad things anyone has ever done to her, and then they let her stew in that for 2 weeks. Saw her notebook, it started out humble, remorseful, then changed completely to blaming, finger pointing. Why would they focus on that and not her actions? She said it made her want to run away from everything and everyone. Excuses, but I saw it first hand and can’t understand it.
I agree with FeelingGreat, I wouldn't take what's in that notebook too much to heart.

Then again, you ask, why would they not focus on her actions. In fact maybe this is their way of doing that. Being humble and remorseful is not what's causing her to drink being self-centered, self pitying and blaming the world for all her woes - may well be (it protects the addiction). Just thinking it might be an exercise to say - look at how your perspective has changed the further you get from the alcohol, suddenly the whole world is against you.

But that's all a guess on my part, I only know a little of the story (but I'm thinking you only know a very small part too).

The rehab may not have been a good fit for her, but there are other resources that may be. Has she ever attended AA?
Old 02-10-2019, 01:02 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

If this was just you and her l would say stay as long as you can endure if (if that's what you wanted to do) But when young children are involved its a whole different ball game.
She is letting them down, she isn't considering them when she's drinking, or when she has been with another guy. So the responsibility for their wellbeing is down to you as the sober parent. They don't need this in their little lives and neither do you.
Who knows, if you and the kids broke free she might hit rock bottom and realise what is really going on here and truly put effort into stopping drinking instead of playing at it.
My heart goes out to you and your children.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:54 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Beach......if your wife is going to be gone for several weeks...this will be an excellent time for you to get some peace and to work on your own issues....and.....I think the following will be very important for you---to learn what genuine recovery for the alcoholic actually "looks like".....
I think a big stumbling block when the main goal is for the alcoholic to return to the home, full time, before they are ready......I think that returning to the home prematurely, is the set up for the cruelest hit of all---relapse.
I think that relapse after a period of "sobriety" feels like being gutted.
You may need to have a professional work with the two of you..to establish a mutually agreed plan for if/when a relapse should occur.
Simeone in recovery looks like this----You can "feel" a major shift in them. They are much more humble and strive to be truthful in all things. They don't take the inventory of others....rather--they focus on their own behaviors. There is a change in their thinking...which presents as a change in attitude toward the world and others. They are committed to their lifetime sobriety as their first priority and willingly put in the time and work that is necessary to maintain their sobriety. They do this without being prompted by their loved ones. An alcoholic who is into their genuine recovery will not be like the person that you have known before...they will be different....
It will be the task of the spouse to be prepared to accept and be willing to deal with the changes...…
There is no way for you to predict exactly how things will go...as you only have control over yourself....the future has not unfolded, yet....

Just giving you a heads up.....
Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I agree with FeelingGreat, I wouldn't take what's in that notebook too much to heart.

Then again, you ask, why would they not focus on her actions. In fact maybe this is their way of doing that. Being humble and remorseful is not what's causing her to drink being self-centered, self pitying and blaming the world for all her woes - may well be (it protects the addiction). Just thinking it might be an exercise to say - look at how your perspective has changed the further you get from the alcohol, suddenly the whole world is against you.

But that's all a guess on my part, I only know a little of the story (but I'm thinking you only know a very small part too).

The rehab may not have been a good fit for her, but there are other resources that may be. Has she ever attended AA?
Hi everyone and thank you. Posting from my phone, and keep screwing up the quote edits. Gonna be lazy and quote everything. Sorry for wall of text.

Yes she has been to AA, sporadically, I don’t believe she really gets it. Not even a little. I have been to a few myself, and see that people can recover. Speakers I saw all sober a year, 5, 14, 27. All seemed happy and grateful. You could see the misery in the eyes and posture of the newcomers & short timers. The speakers’ stories are often tragically funny, and uplifting at the same time. Humble people.

Couple of things from dandylion’s post. I see your point about the further away from alcohol she gets the more of a self pitying drama victim she becomes. I see it, now to try and convey it when she’s sober. I usually have a 30 minute window. It’s lije talking to wall at times, but maybe something will seep in.

Her behavior in rehab was completely shocking, my normally reserved, conscientious, conservative, loyal and respectful wife turned into a street rat. Her speech and mannerisms are like an uneducated, street savvy person, one of “cool kids”. Like a character in a damn movie. Yo homey. LOL. It is bizarre to witness. Never in a million years would I or anyone that knows her expect anything like this. We are all shocked. Her brother is furious. Before this rehab she was not like this. It’s Weird as hell, like a personality transplant.
She was put on lexapro about 10 days in, and according to her fellow inmates it wasn’t until near the end of rehab that she interacted at all with the married dirt bag. Psych meds are dangerous and the wrong drug causes all kinds of odd side effects. Who knows. So many questions I’ll never get answers to.

She’s still drinking, her brother bought alcohol to help alleviate the withdrawal symptoms and he’s rationing it out in small doses until she checks in on Monday. She woke me at 3 AM asking me to unlock it from the safe. Another night with no sleep yet she’s snoring as I type.

I am beat, but getting to a place of acceptance that my life will never be the same, nor my relationship with her. Just not possible. It could be better with hard work on ourselves and sobriety or this could be the beginning of the end. I want to be confident and stable to deal with either. Her brother suggests I drop the divorce papers in her lap to show I’m not a doormat, and what she stands to lose, which is everything. I’m not a doormat, well I may be acting like one, but fear has a way of changing perspectives and actions. Fear of the loss of a dream that for a long time was reality. Funny that. Now it’s a nightmare.

Mom’s been staggering around, slumped over at times and my son, 7, started emulating her last night at dinner and as I was helping him get his pajamas on. So the visible signs of the impact on them has begun. Thought I was shielding them. Wishful thinking.

Last edited by Beachn; 02-10-2019 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Added
Old 02-10-2019, 03:05 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Remember that as hard as it is for you as a grown man, it is devastating and confusing for children to have to live with an alcoholic parent. I hope you all get professional counceling so that they understand that you all are not to blame. And that you cannot "fix" mommy by your behavior.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:12 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Remember that as hard as it is for you as a grown man, it is devastating and confusing for children to have to live with an alcoholic parent. I hope you all get professional counceling so that they understand that you all are not to blame. And that you cannot "fix" mommy by your behavior.
thank you. I get it. Loud and clear. I’m being extremely selfish thinking I can return things to the way they were. What an ego. It’s just not possible. It’s not my fight. Mine is protecting my children and myself, educating them and showing them what a stable loving parent looks like.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:21 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Good attitude! Stay strong and dependable for your children. They need to be able to communicate with you at all times so that nothing gets "bottled up" inside. When feelings and confusing thoughts are pushed down deep inside it causes problems. Spend time just listening to them. You don't need to have all the answers. Let them know what you are doing and how you are doing and that what they have to say matters! No matter what, you are a "team" and you work together always. No one is ever alone in this. Stay strong together.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:03 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I woke this morning with a nasty knot in my stomach. I’ve been trying, hell making, excuses for her behavior,

The betrayal is too much to bare, I can never look at her the same. I found out about her cheating when I read her rehab notebook. It appears they were sitting side by side, communicating through notes. She called him Hubby. The name she has me listed as in her contacts. She commented that they were both wearing rings, and she was afraid to put herself “out there” because of it. Said “F it” he replied it’s a bonus they live so close to each other. She apparently met up with him the Tuesday morning after she got out, 3 days. And the day she relapsed, had 2 accidents in one day, totaled the car in the second one and sent 2 people to the hospital. A half finished bottle of vodka in the passsenger seat, and got a DUI.

I’m out.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:32 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

What do you mean?
Out of the relationship?
Please stay with us.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:58 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Get those children away from her asap. X
Old 02-10-2019, 05:38 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Awal View Post
Get those children away from her asap. X
This X 100
Old 02-10-2019, 05:50 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Besides protecting your children please get some legal protection for your finances. Personal injury lawsuits from the people she sent to the hospital is serious.
Knowledge is power. Get some really good advice asap.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:52 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Use that anger to move mountains to get her out of your house.

I know you're in shock...I would be. It's hard to make a move, but use this anger.

We are here with you all the way.

Do you have a church nearby? Maybe take the kids and go sit somewhere safe for a couple hours. Talk to someone.

Get it out into the light.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:19 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi,

I’m so sorry for your difficult time!

At the end of the day, black and white, one size fits all, and being told that I should know this or think that did not help me.

Now I’ve found another way. I don’t judge, I can be compassionate every single time I am with a loved one. At the same time, I take care of me first and if I’m not feeling ok, I need more boundaries, and in my case, sometimes I need to go swimming for an hour. I have learned to ask myself, what do I want right now? It was hard for me to answer that question at first. I’ve learned to have boundaries and protect myself better in all of my relationships. If I can do it because mentally I feel ok, I would take him to detox twenty times with love in my heart. I recommend the book “beyond addiction”, and the center for motivation and change’s 20 minute guide and SMART meetings online. I recommend mindfulness practices so you can learn to notice when your thoughts and stress levels are taking you away. Perhaps you and your children can go out somewhere that involves exercise, nature, and other elements that ease your mind.

you know what? Since I learned to be more compassionate and have bigger boundaries, I am treated with more respect by everyone, including me.

for me, helping myself meant really working on being calm and compassionate. It was hard to believe at the time. But when I practiced this I started to be treated with more respect and more lovingly.

Last edited by Blueskies18; 02-10-2019 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Just read your latest post
Old 02-10-2019, 09:05 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
What do you mean?
Out of the relationship?
Please stay with us.

Thats how I took it -he's done

I'm so sorry all of this has happened. Sometimes bad things happening provide us some clarity. It does suck. Take care of yourself and that little one. I'm glad her family shows you support
Old 02-10-2019, 09:18 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
SIB

Originally Posted by Beachn View Post
Hi Again,

i am fairly well read on alcoholism, I am in denial. Also she literally saved my life 2 years ago and it is difficult for me to leave her behind with her addiction. I just can’t do it yet, maybe not at all. I don’t owe her my life, or our children’s, but I do feel I am endebted to do all I can, to a point, to help her. I’m not there yet.

I do believe there is a co-occuring disorder. It started with post partum 4 years ago and has progressed to this. instead of seeking help for her depression and stress, she drank. Her mantra that she has repeatedly stated over the last month is “I don’t break”, yet yesterday she admitted to being broken. Still she drank. The withdrawal symptoms overwhelm her and she keeps telling me I don’t know what it’s like. Hence her request for detox, vivitrol, and individual therapy. She says rehab was like being thrown into a gauntlet and she manipulated everyone, that it was easy. Reminds me of the book “ King Rat”.

Said at first she was remorseful and working hard and then started thinking about something I did 15 years ago and she stopped and it consumed her. Even though during our entire relationship she said she had forgiven me. And no I didn’t cheat. I called bs that blaming others is the exact opposite of taking responsibility. It’s an excuse.

By snap out of it I meant, to stop drinking and aggressively seek help, on her own. The brain damage is obvious as her behavior over the last year is the polar opposite of who she was for the prior 13. Memory loss, outbursts. It’s incredibly shocking and confusing.

She was crying off and on yesterday, drunk and sober, saying how sorry she is. Wants to stop, doesn’t know how. She’s scared. We are all scared.

Sorry if its rambling, lots going on between the ears.

Thank you
I hear that you want to help her, as I assume she did for you - but all bets are off once she cheated.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:39 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

You are going between anger (normal) and compassion (also normal).

I'm sure it's hard to decide from one hour to the next what is best, but I also think you are thinking clearly when you say: " Mine is protecting my children and myself, educating them and showing them what a stable loving parent looks like".

That is your focus right now, as it should be. When you feel yourself falter perhaps look at it this way. You are actually doing her a favour as well, not just protecting the children but protecting her relationship with them.

When she does get sober (I hope she does), she will be mortified at what she allowed them to see. So when you feel compassion for her, know that even though separating yourself and the children from her seems counter-intuitive at times, you are doing the right thing for everyone involved right now.

While they may only get to see her a few times a week for a while, at least they will see her sober.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:40 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

How are you doing today, Beachn?
Old 02-14-2019, 05:11 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

it it has been insane here, she created even more chaos if that is possible. The kids are sick, I’m exhausted, but I got her out of the house and into a quality treatment center. She is brain damaged from all the alcohol and obviously has a co-occurring disorder, or 3. She was an amazing wife and mother before this thing sunk its claws in her, but that’s who she was, that person is gone. Replaced by a monster. No guarantees she will recover, but she deserves a chance to receive help from a dedicated team with decades of experience.

I keep mentally vacillating between continuing to help her by paying for treatment or cutting her loose completely because I am so hurt and angry. So far my compassion for her has won out, and I must continually remind myself this about saving her life, not my marriage. It’s going to be difficult financially, and in so many other ways for me, but can be done if Murphy will start bothering someone else for a change.

Going to file soon, not in a big hurry, as she will be gone at least 6 months. The passengers in the car she hit only received bumps and bruises, no threat of a lawsuit there.

This is has been the most terrifying experience of my life, and I’ve experienced and witnessed a lot of trauma. I’m living minute to minute, and I am so thankful at the end of the day that I and the kids survived that day, and all of bizarre behavior. We are not unscathed, but are on the road to healing.

Im tired, sad, lonely as we just moved to a new city and I don’t know anyone, but all that will change in time as we put this further and further behind us. It’s our turn to indulge and we are going to have fun.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:20 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

It really has been the worst time for you B. I'm not excusing her cheating, but the context is a messed up brain and being pitched together with other people in a highly emotional state. I've seen it happen over and over on this forum. I wonder if the treatment professionals warn them how easily it can happen.

Six months sounds like a solid chunk of time for her to dry out and achieve some perspective on what she's done to the family, and hopefully some effective treatment for any co-occuring condition.

Have fun with the children. This must be so traumatic for them. Hope they get their Mum back soon.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:38 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Life is good

Congratulations on having a safe home to heal in.

Many blessings and much wellness for you and your family. Family can look like many things. Whether your wife is ever able to step up in a mother role or not, you're providing them with a parent who is emotionally present, open to growth, life and joy, and the rest will be revealed one day at a time.