"Today's Hope"

Old 03-05-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

March 5

This is posted from the "Today's Hope" site of Alanon.

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
- Stephen Covey

DAILY REFLECTION:
Equality
Treat all men alike. Give them all the same laws. Give them an even chance to live and grow.
​ -Chief Joseph

My spirituality tells me I am not better than other people. And I'm not less than or inferior to other people either. I'm equal. Jesus is my mentor. He was a Jewish teacher who seemed to love everybody, if they would let him. Even when he was angry at them I believe he still loved them. Arrogance, pride, bigotry, prejudice, snobbery: these are the arrows that often slay the spirit. Living with the value of equality is the antidote. Equality affirms difference; however, it doesn't use difference to discriminate.

Today I treat people the way I would like to be treated.

Daily share from the forum can be found here: Today's Sharing - Today's Hope

Old 03-06-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

March 6

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Placing principles above personalities frees me from reacting and restores my self-respect.
- Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
Changed Attitudes
Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.
-William James

Before recovery, I never stopped to realize that the world exists separate from me. I went around behaving as though the universe existed because I made it so rather than the other way around. Because of this, I felt the need to get involved in every situation to “fix” it. And when I could not, I felt that I had failed my purpose in life and that until I could control and fix everyone around me, I had no value. This led to low self-esteem and an overwhelming sense of hopelessness.

​I learned in recovery that so much depends on our own attitudes. Now I realize that my surroundings are not a part of me or an extension of me. Instead, I am a small part of my surroundings. I play my part rather than try to direct everything that goes on around me. Instead, I focus on playing my own part and living my life in a way that allows me peace and serenity. Though it is still difficult for me to not try to control everything around me, I tell myself that I deserve to be content and even happy, regardless of what is happening around me. I don’t always believe myself when I say that, but I act as though I do. This change in my behavior led to a change in my thinking, and the change in my thinking has helped me to achieve greater serenity.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:22 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

March 7

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
O Lord, I ain't what I ought to be, and I ain't what I want to be, and I ain't what I'm going to be, But O Lord, I thank You that I ain't what I used to be.
--Unknown*

DAILY REFLECTION:

Thank you is one of the most important things we can say to anyone. Thank you packs a lot of meaning into two little words. Thank you says "I see you. I see what you have done for me. You have been kind to me. I know it takes special work to be kind. I feel special that you did the work of being kind to me. I am grateful."

Old 03-08-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

March 8

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Seeds of faith are always within us; sometimes it takes a crisis to nourish and encourage their growth.
- Susan Taylor

DAILY REFLECTION:
The Serenity Prayer

The Serenity Prayer is one of the most important tools of my recovery. When I first came into Al-Anon, I learned first "God, Grant me the Serenity" - yes, I wanted serenity- then, "to accept the things I can not change". I wasn't sure at first what I could or could not change but I was willing to learn, and finally "the courage to change the things I can" and most importantly "the wisdom to know the difference". I learned to recite this prayer when I was in a crisis, or in a difficult situation, and it helped me to slow down and think.

Today I say the Serenity Prayer on my drive to work every morning, then I add "God, let me know what you want me to do today, and give me the courage to do it". I try to be open to hear God's will for me. The Serenity Prayer reminds me that the Gift of Serenity is there for me if I choose it. I can decide what I have the ability to change or not, and that I can ask for help and wisdom to know what to do.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

March 9

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Today I will keep hands off and keep my focus where it belongs--on me.
- heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
If I should lose, let me stand by the road and cheer as the winners go by.
--Berton Bradley

If we are to be among the winners in the recovery from addiction and obsession, we must maintain the attitude of success. Winners in any Twelve Step program take fearless inventories, correct shortcomings, and willingly make amends. By taking charge of ourselves in this manner, we neither blame nor credit others or events. With confidence and willingness, we hold ourselves responsible for our lives.

We take responsibility for our pre-program faults and conduct. We can then count ourselves among those who, with the help of our Higher Power, can control compulsive and excessive behavior. But we don't do it with pride. We do it with humility and gratitude.

I will begin to lose hold of a winning attitude if I choose to leave spiritual growth to chance. I must make life happen, not let it happen to me.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

March 10

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Today I let go of my denial, face the truth, and celebrate my recovery.
- heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
I cannot see what people do not do.

I meditate on this often. I felt directed and began to practice the action of inaction, especially in our meetings. I observed that EVERYTHING works out without my help. Here are some of the actions that I do not take:

I share sometimes but not every time. If I wait, someone else often shares what I would have said. Amazing! When I do share, I can speak too long and it becomes a speaker meeting; but I do this less often than before.

I never mention membership or affiliation with any other organization or how long I’ve been around. Never helps. Sometimes it hinders my effectiveness.

I (almost) never use profanity in a meeting. The principle is to be of maximum service. I can’t imagine ever offending anyone with my lack of profanity but I can imagine the opposite.

I never speak twice. Do I sometimes want to? Yes.

I never cross-talk or ask anyone anything in the context of the meeting.

I never interrupt the spontaneous blessed silence that occasionally occurs during a meeting. It is rare. It is amazing. Silence can speak volumes should I choose to listen.

I never apologize or explain if I arrive late or must leave early. Most don’t notice and all don’t care.

I never share “at” anyone when they “do it wrong”. I don’t help people complete their sentences or help them with pronunciation when they get stuck.

I never fetch tissues, touch someone, or disrupt their tears, feelings or process in any way. Previously those activities were driven by my discomfort rather than compassion.

As I reflect back, I was quite the piece of work on many levels when I began this recovery journey. I can only imagine, to my horror sometimes, how other more experienced members were practicing many behaviors that I could not see. For the most part, what I saw was loving acceptance, no matter how disruptive or far off the mark I may have been.

I love the beach. Sometimes I see myself as one grain of sand on the beach of life. I am a small part of a greater whole. The beach was here before I washed ashore and it will remain, with all of its splendor, long after I am washed back into the sea. I am a grain of sand. I am not the beach.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

March 11

Sorry, double post.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

March 11

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Love is granting another the space to be the way they are and the way they are not.
- Werner Erhar

DAILY REFLECTION:
A power greater than ourselves

Step 2
We came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

Step 2 was a stumbling block for me until someone pointed out that “a power greater than myself” did not have to mean “God” as our culture understands “Him”. What was becoming clear to me was that my attempts to exert power over the alcoholic and the situation were making me more crazy rather than more sane. It was also becoming clear that I was becoming more sane through regular attendance at Al-Anon meetings, reading the literature, listening to others, and talking about my life’s unmanageability. The Al-Anon program was clearly a “power greater than myself” and through this recognition I was able to accept Step 2. I could leave the whole “God question” for later.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:13 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

March 12

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
...human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives,
--William James

DAILY REFLECTION:
Serenity

Serenity for me is putting what I can in order in my life and letting the rest go--the things I cannot control.

This means that I complete tasks/chores in my life that will add to the quality and balance of my daily existence, like paying the bills in a timely manner, keeping my house clean and orderly, exercising each day, eating well and praying.

By keeping my physical and mental house "in order" I am creating structure and balance so that when unforeseen events tax my emotional or physical state, I am centered and better prepared to handle the situation. I am calm and able to offer support to those I love when they may be negatively affected by a crisis.

Dear God, help me to keep my house in order. Help me to make time each day to complete the tasks that will help me stay in serenity.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:26 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

March 13

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
I become happy when I choose to accept and love all of life.
- Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
Change

When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.
- Lao Tzu

In becoming active in my own recovery, I have found that I regularly feel resistance to letting go of my old habits, even though I realize that they are no longer working for me. I feel fear that if I let go of these behaviors, that I will no longer know who I am or what I should do. However, I realize that unless I let go of those old tendencies, I will not have room for the new ones. Though I fear change, I am able to let go and let God and trust that everything will work out for the better.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

March 14

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
The more opinions you have, the less you see.
- Wim Wenders

DAILY REFLECTION:
Soul

The soul that is within me no man can degrade.
-Frederick Douglass

I love words. With words we can create a picture that often leads us to understanding. I've always believed that the word "soul" appeals to the poet within each of us. If we agree that the soul is not a body part, then what is it? The soul is that part of us that speaks to our uniqueness, but not just our uniqueness-our divinity. That something that understands God, reflects God, is God . . . and breathes through us. And it cannot be taken away or destroyed or degraded. When we Say Yes to Your Spirit we affirm our soul connection to the world and each other. Soul reflects the universal dance. Wow. I like it!

I nurture my soul with spiritual food.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

I especially liked today's "Share From the Forum" section. The image of turning on a nightlight and turning off my worries/responsibilities while I get the rest that I need to move ahead again is a strong one for me, and hence I chose the picture that I did today.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

March 15

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Fear is a darkroom where negatives are developed.
- Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
Awareness, Acceptance, Action

Dear God,

Slow me down when all I do is try to fix and control things and people. Help me to first accept situations, as they are when I become aware of them.

Slow me down in your stillness.

Mark my awareness with unselfishness, my acceptance with humility, and my actions with usefulness to me and others.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:04 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

March 16

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Measure yourself by your best moments not your worst. *
- Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
Conflict can produce positive results

If our policy is to avoid conflict at all cost, we may impede our growth by trying to sweep important issues under the rug and refusing to deal with them. The issues don't disappear, however, and by sweeping them under the rug, we make them more toxic and unwieldy.

Conflict is bound to occur in any vital, important relationship, and the question is how to handle it. Allowing conflict to be brought into the open usually makes it much more manageable than trying to ignore it. If there's fear of conflict, we're less likely to feel free to be ourselves.

When I am willing to talk about what's bothering me, to state my position and listen to yours, to ask for help from a Higher Power, it's very possible that we will reach an understanding that enhances our relationship. Conflict does not need to destroy. Using the Steps, we can build on our differences and both come out stronger.

If I find myself in a situation of conflict today, I will try working through it rather than attempting to avoid it.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Hi guys! Honeypig asked me to fill in for her so please be nice since I'm not a techs person and don't know how to format

March 17th

Daily Slogan/Saying

Do what you can, and do it well. Accept the rest with equanimity, and trust in God. No one can ever do more than that.

Daily Reflection

The bad things, the good things
Be thankful for the bad things in life, for they opened your eyes to the good things you weren’t paying attention to before. – Unknown

I can easily get sucked into focusing on one thing that is bad in my life, at the expense of the rest of the things that are good. One evening, I was talking to a friend before a meeting, and I was complaining about how badly my life was going. My loved one had relapsed, and I was suffering. She asked me, “Did anything good happen today?”. I paused, thought for a moment, and then said “Well, yes. I got a massage this afternoon. The sun was out and it made the white snow all sparkly and bright. And, I’m at a meeting.” That simple question shifted my focus from the one bad thing to several good things. For the rest of the evening, I was feeling good, because I had let go of my obsession on what was wrong to just see that things were also good.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:01 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Thank you, Forourgirls!

I appreciate you stepping up for Honeypig.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Daily slogan/saying

My goal is not to change others to fit me. I aim to change myself to fit my Higher Power’s will. -Heard in a meeting

Daily Reflection

We shall overcome.
– Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

The hymn, “We Shall Overcome” reminds me that I do not have to be alone in my struggles. Whether those struggles be against injustice in the world, or against my own failings. I do not have to be alone, for we shall overcome. The focus of the program may be on our personal recovery, but we can do it together. And together, we shall overcome our fears, our failings, and we shall recover together
Old 03-19-2016, 09:25 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Thank you so much, Forourgirls! I really appreciate the help. As it turned out, my mom had another issue come up and had to postpone the eye surgery till late April, but the houndies and I went up anyway and had a wonderful visit.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

March 19

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Awareness is so much better for me than closing out all of my feelings, shutting out people and friends, withdrawing from living. No matter how hard the truth is or what the facts are, I prefer to know, look at, and accept this day as it is. *
- Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
The Program is a road, not a resting place.

Before we came to The Program - and, for some of us, many times afterward - most of us looked for answers to our living problems in religion, philosophy, psychology, self-help groups and so on. Invariably, these fields held forth the goals that were precisely what we wanted; they offered freedom, calm, confidence and joy. But there was one major loophole: They never gave us a workable method of getting there. They never told us how to get from where we were to where we were supposed to be. Do I truly believe that I can find everything that I need and really want through the Twelve Steps?

May I know that, once through the Twelve Steps, I am not on a plane surface. For life is not a flat field, but a slope upward. And those flights of steps must be taken over and over and remembered. May I be sure that once I have made them totally familiar to me, they will take me anywhere I want to go.

The Steps are a road, not a resting place.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

You got it, Honeypig!!! Anytime