"Today's Hope"

Old 04-12-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

April 12

This is posted from the "Today's Hope" site of Alanon.

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Set and enforce your personal boundaries. You and only YOU get to choose how much influence you allow others to exert over your life.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

DAILY REFLECTION:
Thinking

“…there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
– Shakespeare

I can very easily over-think things. When I do that, I put my serenity at risk, particularly when I start projecting what might happen in the future. I can very easily descend into what a friend calls “awfulizing” or “catastrophizing”. When I do that, I become more and more sure that the worst will happen, and I bring unneeded fear and anxiety into my life. The program gives me some tools to help me out. One of these is the slogan “First things first”, which can also be expressed as “Do the next right thing.” It reminds me to stay in today, to think about what I need to do now, and to not get too far into the unknown future

Daily share from the forum can be found here: Today's Sharing - Today's Hope

Old 04-13-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

April 13

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
He who angers you conquers you.
- Elizabeth Kenny

DAILY REFLECTION:
Amends

Making an amends is not always easy.

Sometimes I find myself embarrassed by my actions and unable to admit that my behavior was unacceptable.

Sometimes the person I need to make an amends to still irritates or frustrates me, and though I know that it is the right thing to do, my pride stands in the way of my apology.

But making an amends is not just about apologizing to another human being. Making amends is about forgiving myself for my past behaviors. If I have truly grown on my spiritual path, if I have truly changed my ways, then I must make an amends to free myself from the burden of the guilt I still carry.

I must forgive myself for the mistakes I have made, and by apologizing to others, I am taking a step towards my spiritual release.

I must humble myself and ask for forgiveness from those I have harmed.

I must humble myself and ask that I forgive myself.

Dear God, help me to learn from my past mistakes and let the burden of my pain go. Help me to forgive myself and make amends to those I have harmed.

Old 04-14-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

April 14

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Detaching from others and getting to know myself go hand in hand.
- Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
The Truth May Vary

Though the truth may vary,
This ship will carry our bodies safe to shore.

Of Monsters and Men — Little Talks

Everyone has their own story, their own truth. In Al-Anon, we share our truths, finding our commonalities, and building a ship that will carry us through the storm and chaos of our loved ones’ addictions. Truly, “though the truth may vary”, the ship of the program will carry us safely to the shore of recovery.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

April 15

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Fear is not a shortcoming- it's an emotion. Our reaction to it can be the shortcoming.
- Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:

The future you shall know when it has come; before then, forget it.
- Aeschylus

The Fellowship keeps us grounded in the current moment. We learn to live today. Our planning and scheming and dreaming about tomorrow becomes less time consuming. The idea of living one day at a time makes sense to us. Our Program teaches us that life is not about to happen, it is happening, and each moment is important.

When we concentrated only on the future, we couldn't be happy with today. We thought if we could only get to tomorrow, things would be better. Tomorrow never comes, so we were always trapped in a hopeless situation. Now we live one day at a time and grow moment by moment.

Recovery is about today and living life in the present. Since I no longer have to manage the universe, I have only myself to worry about today. I can let my Higher Power take care of tomorrow.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

April 16

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
If you keep doin' what you're doin', you'll keep gettin' what you're gettin'.
-Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
Speaking From the Heart

Through fellowship, we offer each other mutual support. Since we believe that the Higher Power works through the group, what one of us is prompted to say is probably just what another member needs to hear.

Sometimes we are reluctant to speak of what is in our heart for fear of being embarrassed, belittled, or betrayed. We are so accustomed to masking our true feelings that we often lose touch with them. In the program we are assured that what we say will be received in a spirit of acceptance and love. We do not need to be afraid of revealing our deeper selves.

It is a healing experience to belong to a group which is dedicated to honest communication with a minimum of game playing. When we make a genuine attempt to describe where we are in our program, we are met with a warm and supportive response. Our Higher Power opens the way for meaningful communication and mutual love.

Open our hearts to You and to each other.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:05 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

April 17

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Trust is a process over which I have some control. I don’t have to form relationships any faster than I’m ready.
- Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
Patience is a particular requirement. Without it, you can destroy in an hour what it might take you weeks to repair.
- Charlie W. Shedd

Enjoying the moment in its fullest makes possible a peaceful and patient pace. Progress is guaranteed if our minds are centered in the present, on the only event deserving of our attention. We can be certain that error and frustration will haunt us if our attentions are divided.

Patience will see us through a troubled time, but how much easier it is to savor patience when it's accompanied by faith. We can know and fully trust that all is well - that our lives are on course - that individual experiences are exactly what we need at this moment. However, faith makes the knowing easier and the softness of the patient heart eases us through the times of challenge and uncertainty.

Patience slows me down long enough to notice another, and to be grateful for the gifts of the moment. Patience promises me the power to move forward with purpose. Today's fruits will be in proportion to my patience.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:12 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

April 18

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.
- Ursula LeGuin

DAILY REFLECTION:
Love, Strength, and Courage

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
– Lao Tzu

In the suggested Al-Anon closing, it says “… although you may not like all of us, you’ll love us in a very special way, the same way we already love you.” When I first heard this, I didn’t know what to think. It seemed a bit corny. But I have found it to be quite true. This love was exhibited in my first meeting, when I mumbled something about my situation and cried, and everybody was silent, letting me say my little bit through my tears and sobs. It was shown by the members who offered me, a stranger, their phone numbers. We see it whenever one of us shares from our own heart, that another member may find a bit of solace and help.

From this totally unexpected, unconditional love, came the strength to begin to do the work of the program. And, as I did that work, I found within myself the same love for others. I could feel it in the special peace and serenity that descended on me like a blanket, whenever I walked into a meeting. I could feel it as I identified with someone’s sharing. And that love gave me courage.

First, the courage of belief in the process. Courage to “change the things I can,” which is only myself. Courage to face those parts of me that I don’t like so much. Courage to own them and to ask my Higher Power with acceptance and humility to remove them from me. And the courage to support others in the program through sponsorship. And as I do, my love comes back to me through them, completing the circle.

Truly, we can keep it only by giving it away.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Looking for a volunteer

I'm going to be visiting my mom the early part of next week and I wonder if I could get someone to post this reading for me on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, the 25th, 26th and 27th. It's not hard and doesn't take long.

If you're willing to help, shoot me a PM and I'll fill you in on the details.

Thanks for considering!
Old 04-18-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Got my volunteer already--thanks, Carlotta!
Old 04-19-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

April 19

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
The key to happiness is inner peace. The greatest obstacles to inner peace are disturbing emotions such as anger, attachment, fear and suspicion, while love and compassion and a sense of universal responsibility are the sources of peace and happiness.
- Dalai Lama

DAILY REFLECTION:
The gifts we receive are meant to be shared.

Thanks to the progress I am making in recovery, I like to think I am more loving, more open, more spontaneous, more confident. I believe these gifts have come to me through my Higher Power, the Twelve Steps, and the friends who have helped me grow.

If I am to keep the gifts, I must share them. They are mine as long as I give them away. To do that I need to realize we're all working toward a similar goal: that of developing our potential and becoming who we are meant to be. We help each other toward this goal by sharing our experience, strength, and hope.

Close, warm, loving contacts with my family and friends are what feed my heart and spirit and fill the inner emptiness. When I am willing to share the gifts I have received, I always have enough, because what I give comes back to me.

I will take advantage of today's opportunities for caring and sharing, remembering that my recovery depends not on what I have but on what I give.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:06 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Thank you, Carlotta!
Old 04-20-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

April 20

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
You change the past when you change the way you see it.
- Alan Cohen

DAILY REFLECTION:
Humility

Humility doesn't allow people to walk all over me.
- James Baldwin

"The word "humility" has often been misunderstood. James Baldwin understood this. Christian piety often gave the impression that it was spiritual to let others take advantage of us - and we suffered in silence. But real humility involves respect. It is necessary to respect other people, treating them with dignity and genuine interest. But we must also respect ourselves. Say Yes to Your Spirit affirms this balance. I'm not respecting you if I allow you to disrespect me."
- Leo Booth

I affirm a humility that respects self.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

April 21

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Each and every human being on Earth has both the responsibility and the privilege of viewing themselves as Divine beings with the power to bring about peace.
- James Twyman

DAILY REFLECTION:
Coexisting

Everyone you will ever meet knows something that you don’t. *
- Bill Nye, the Science Guy

In the past, my instinctive reaction to any difficult situation was to try to take control and “fix it” because I always thought I knew best. One day, I had a disagreement with my partner about what he should do in a certain situation. I thought, since I had been in a similar situation in the past, I knew what was best. He ended up doing what he thought he should do. I mentioned this to a friend and she gently reminded me that I do not know everything and that my priorities are not necessarily the priorities of others. *In the end, the results of his actions ended up being for the best for him. I realize now that I only know what I can do in this moment is best.

(this is an electron microscope image of diatoms, in case you're curious)
Old 04-22-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

April 22

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
We may wonder how we are going to get through all the stages and phases, the levels of growth and recovery . . . Knowing we are not alone, knowing that we have the Al-Anon program, often quiets our fears and helps us gain perspective.
- Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
We can practice forgiveness each day.

Resentments have a way of creeping back into my psyche even after I have let go of them. I know that holding a grudge is harmful to my emotional health and can threaten my abstinence, but what can I do when I keep feeling anger toward someone?

In the interest of recovery, in my own best interest, I can continue to forgive each day. I may not be able to forgive the person once and for all, but I can do it right now, just for today. With practice, who knows? Perhaps the resentment will disappear.

When I remember that my own track record is far from perfect, I realize I could use some daily forgiveness too, both from others and from myself.

Just for now, I can let go of resentments and forgive. If resentments come back, I can forgive again.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone, will profit from it.

DAILY REFLECTION:
Responsibility

I used to always love to be considered the responsible one but today, I sometimes find myself shying away from the title. In the past, being responsible meant that I was the one to take on all of the commitments. I was the one that people would come to because they knew I would get the job done! I loved the way I felt when I was praised for being responsible. My ego was stroked, my people-pleasing character flaw was activated, and I relished in my roll of "super woman."

Today, I try my best to step away from ego and wait 24-hours before committing to being the "responsible" one in a situation that isn't life-threatening. Being the responsible one in the past left me weary and worn from overtaxing myself to make sure that everyone "loved me" for doing "right" by them. I know now that I must choose my commitments wisely and wait for my people-pleasing flaw to disarm before deciding if I want to move forward as the responsible party.

Dear God, help me to think before I take on a commitment. Help me to allow others to step up to a task instead of letting my people-pleasing rob them of the opportunity to grow.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

APRIL 25

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
I accept the fact that I need help in being restored to sanity, and that I cannot achieve this without help. --Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
Perspective
Our thoughts form what we believe to be reality.
― Isabel Allende

I recall being extremely unhappy in the past. Interestingly, I did not realize how unhappy I was. Others around me did. I was always complaining. I always managed to find something bad about any situation. To connect with others, I would share painful or negative experiences so that we could wallow in misery together, not to find a solution. I saw life as something for which I just had to grit my teeth and get it over with.
When I got into recovery and met people in the program, I saw everyone laughing and joyous.
I so wanted to be like them, but I was confused as to how. It is not that they had a “better” life than me. I heard their stories and their shares and they had difficulties in their life as I did. Rather than complain, though, I found they laughed and connected with each other through humor and solution-oriented behavior. They managed to see the good in every situation.
As a result, they saw life as an adventure! I slowly learned to change my perspective to be more positive. Now, if it rains outside, I am thankful that I remembered my umbrella rather than cursing the sky. As a result, I am a much happier person and I can see how much there is to appreciate and learn from in my life.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

APRIL 26

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
The instincts you build to survive are not necessarily the instincts you need to live and love.
--Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
People are lonely because they build walls instead of bridges.
--Joseph Fort Newton

Remember building snow forts? After a sticky snowfall we'd build a big snow wall. Then we'd mass-produce snowballs, preparing for battle. The team who built the best snow fort usually won, for their wall provided the best protection.

Are we still playing snow fort when we meet new people or spend time with family? Each of us has a wall we started building in our childhood. Each time we were hurt, we would fortify the wall to offer greater protection. We may not even realize it now, but we may have such strong, high walls in front of us that even the most ardent friends can't get over them.

We may feel protected behind our wall, but we may also feel lonely. Walls are built to keep people out. To feel less lonely, we need to make a little crawl space to let people in. We don't have to destroy our walls in one day, but perhaps we can let at least one person in. We will learn, one person at a time, what it feels like to be less protected, and less lonely.

I can make an opening in my wall of protection and let someone get to know me. I will be safe.

Old 04-26-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Thanks for your service, Carlotta--I appreciate it! I'm back home and ready to resume my duties starting tomorrow AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Welcome back, honeypig!

Thank you, Carlotta.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Welcome back honeypig