"Today's Hope"

Old 01-03-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"Today's Hope"

"Today's Hope" used to be the Baton Rouge Alanon site but seems to have recently changed its format and name. I've always really liked their daily shares but often just don't get over there to read. They post a daily slogan/saying, a daily reflection, and a daily share from the forum.

What I'd like to do is to re-post the slogan/saying and reflection portions of the daily share here, properly credited, of course. The forum share portion can get quite lengthy, so what I'll do is post the link to the Today's Hope site for those who want to read more.

I'm hoping that having another daily reader-type resource will make it more convenient for those who are interested to get their "daily dose."

Please let me know what you think. First post coming up!
Old 01-03-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

JANUARY 3

This is posted from the "Today's Hope" site of Alanon.

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
When I look back on all these worries, I remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which had never happened.
- Winston Churchill *

DAILY REFLECTION:
No man is more cheated than the selfish man.
--Henry Ward Beecher

When we're selfish, we close off the channels of exchange with others. Not only are we grabbing and holding all the goods or attention we can get, but we are denying others the possibility of sharing with us in the benefits. We may be selfish in material goods, but there are many other ways too. Some of us expect our spouses to meet our needs while we make little effort to meet theirs. Some of us discover our selfishness as we drive, refusing to yield a position to another car or getting furious if we lose a place in heavy traffic.

By contrast, our generosity and welcoming responses nourish the spirit within us and create a good environment for our growth. Sometimes giving does not come easily. We have a more generous spirit when we are in touch with our ultimate vulnerability. All of life is fragile, and we need each other to have a good life. We can truly hold on to nothing but ourselves. Giving what we can of our time, our energy, and our goods, helps create the kind of world we want to live in.

Today I will look for ways to be generous with those with whom I share this world.

Daily share from the forum can be found here: Today's Sharing - Today's Hope
Old 01-04-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

JANUARY 4

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Al Anon is like a laboratory, we experiment and find out what works for us.
-Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
Change
“Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.”
- Caroline Burnett

As the new year was approaching, I looked back on my life for this past year. I realized that a great deal of the time, I looked to others – friends, family, partners, etc. – to save me and change my life for me. I used to think that in order for me to be the person that I wanted to be, I had change the people around me. As I had no control over others, I found myself become increasingly frustrated and further away from the person I wanted to be. Since I have been in recovery, I resort to this way of thinking less and less. Today, if I am unhappy or upset with a situation, I first try to find my part in it, look at my available options, and make a choice for myself as those are the things that I can control. I have learned that as I keep my focus on myself, I am able to change my own perspective and, in doing so, change my life. Nothing about my environment has changed since I have been in recovery, but today I am closer to the person that I want to be.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

JANUARY 4

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Al Anon is like a laboratory, we experiment and find out what works for us.
-Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
Change
“Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.”
- Caroline Burnett

As the new year was approaching, I looked back on my life for this past year. I realized that a great deal of the time, I looked to others – friends, family, partners, etc. – to save me and change my life for me. I used to think that in order for me to be the person that I wanted to be, I had change the people around me. As I had no control over others, I found myself become increasingly frustrated and further away from the person I wanted to be. Since I have been in recovery, I resort to this way of thinking less and less. Today, if I am unhappy or upset with a situation, I first try to find my part in it, look at my available options, and make a choice for myself as those are the things that I can control. I have learned that as I keep my focus on myself, I am able to change my own perspective and, in doing so, change my life. Nothing about my environment has changed since I have been in recovery, but today I am closer to the person that I want to be.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Honeypig, thanks for the postings!! I'm enjoying them.

Baton Rouge's postings are at a new URL:
Today's Sharing - Today's Hope

Happy New Year, my friend!

Ktf
Old 01-05-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

JANUARY 5

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
When I am experiencing a diminishment of joy, it’s likely that I’m not changing what I can.
-Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:

Living Fully
I am reminded each day that life is a gift.

When I find myself unable to rise from a dark mood, I must remember that I do not know what tomorrow will bring, or if I will be fortunate enough to see a tomorrow.

Each day that I give of myself to others...

Each day I bring joy and happiness to my world...

Each day I choose to use empathy and compassion...

Is another day that I fulfill my obligation to myself and to others to live life to the fullest and walk my true spiritual path.

To take a moment to listen to a child tell me something important....

To help a senior who has been left on their own...
To put my own problems and trials aside to give back to my community...

Reminds me that I choose, today, to remain "all in" with those I love and care for.... and be present for those in need.

Today, I will strive for my goals...

Follow my dreams...

Give of myself...

And thank my Higher Power for giving me so much to appreciate in my day-to-day life.

"Dear God, thank you for all you give. Help me to share my love and joy with those around me."

Old 01-06-2016, 09:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

JANUARY 5

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
There is no greater hell than to be a prisoner of fear.
- Ben Jonson

DAILY REFLECTION:

Self-Awareness
When there is no enemy within, the enemies outside cannot hurt you.
-African Proverb

I lose my peace and serenity generally when I am scared of losing control. I fear losing control because I am afraid that if I am not in control something bad will happen and I will be alone and suffer. But now, in recovery, I can gently remind myself that I always have the company and support of my spiritual community and my Higher Power. I am only alone should I choose to be. As a result, I am able to be more self-aware and make decisions from a place inside of me that is filled with peace and love rather than from a place of denial, fear, and anger.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

JANUARY 7

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Situations can change. I’ve noticed that they change much faster when I change my attitude.
- Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:

Self Love
You, yourself, as much as anybody else in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
- Buddha

Often, especially during the holidays, I find myself regressing to old habits and behaviours when I am around family members with whom I do not regularly interact. These old habits tend to take the form of valuing their happiness over mine and calling that “love” when, in fact, what I am doing is attempting not to rock the boat and then feeling resentful about my choices. This quote reminds me that I cannot give what I do not have. Until I can love and respect myself, I cannot truly love others. Today, I will try to be as respectful of my feelings as I am of the feelings of my loved ones

Old 01-08-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

JANUARY 8

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Patience is the key to paradise.
​ - Turkish proverb

DAILY REFLECTION:

Perspective
Today was the absolute worst day ever
And don't try to convince me that
There's something good in every day
Because, when you take a closer look,
This world is a pretty evil place
Even if
Some goodness does shine through once in a while
Satisfaction and happiness don't last
And it's not true that
It's all in the mind and heart
Because
True happiness can be obtained
Only if one's surroundings are good
It's not true that good exists
I'm sure you can agree that
The reality
Creates
My attitude
It's all beyond my control
And you'll never in a million years hear me say that
Today was a good day

NOW READ FROM BOTTOM TO TOP

Old 01-08-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Love, love, LOVE this one. Thank you HP!!
Old 01-08-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am glad I decided to start doing this daily posting too--I really enjoy what this site has to say each day, and I feel like it's different enough from TLOLG so that it's not repetitive to have both threads going.

Plus I have an excuse to pick out TWO beautiful pictures each day, one for each daily reading thread--how could it get any better than that?
Old 01-08-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for doing this, HP-I look forward to reading these!! (Especially today's-how cool was that?!)
Old 01-09-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

JANUARY 9

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
A pearl is a beautiful thing that is produced by an injured life. It is the tear [that results] from the injury of the oyster. The treasure of our being in this world is also produced by an injured life. If we had not been wounded, if we had not been injured, then we will not produce the pearl.
--Stephan Hoeller

DAILY REFLECTION:

In life, the difficult periods are the best periods to gain experience and shore up determination. As a result, my mental status is much improved because of them.

--The Dalai Lama

Life is a process of meeting and solving problems. Solving problems is a way that we test and develop our spiritual muscle. Think of outstanding people such as Abraham Lincoln, Mahatma Gandhi, and Helen Keller. Lincoln faced the problem of a divided country; Gandhi, an oppressed India; Keller, her personal handicaps. In rising to meet their vision, courage, fortitude, and compassion, they became great - not in spite of, but because of their problems.

Problems often come to us in the form of crisis. The Chinese glyph for the word crisis contains two symbols; one means danger and the other opportunity. When an obstacle is before you, use it to create a beneficial result. As with Lincoln, Gandhi, and Keller, let your problems bring out your greatness.

Rather than pray for a life that is problem-free, ask for one that is solution-full. Instead of requesting that God remove the mountain before you, seek the strength to climb it. Remember that the best students always get the toughest problems. Love the problems you have, and their priceless gifts will be yours.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've read that, in the natural world, the areas of greatest diversity and life are the "edges"--where shore meets sea, where field meets woods, the wetlands where water and earth intermingle in varying amounts. It seems to me that's true of life also. The times where I have been safe and secure and stable (or seemingly so) mostly have little growth or advancement. The times of upheaval are the times when I'm uncomfortable and frightened enough to grasp at something flying past in the hurricane and say "hey, maybe I'll try this!" And my life takes a turn.

In the past, I've seen this:

and also this:

but they have never seemed so meaningful as they have recently.

My friends, ring all the bells that still can ring!
Old 01-10-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

JANUARY 10

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Al-Anon is helping me to navigate life with ease, dignity, and hope. Today I will share my hope with others.
--Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:

Recovery is about more than walking away. Sometimes it means learning to stay and deal. It's about building and maintaining relationships that work.
--Beyond Codependency

Problems and conflicts are parts of life and relationships - with friends, family, loved ones, and at work. Problem solving and conflict negotiation are skills we can acquire and improve with time.

Not being willing to tackle and solve problems in relationships leads to unresolved feelings of anger and victimization, terminated relationships, unresolved problems, and power plays that intensify the problem and waste time and energy.

Not being willing to face and solve problems means we may run into that problem again.

Some problems with people cannot be worked out in mutually satisfactory ways. Sometimes the problem is a boundary issue we have, and there is not room to negotiate. In that case, we need to clearly understand what we want and need and what our bottom line is.

Some problems with people, though, can be worked out, worked through, and satisfactorily negotiated. To negotiate problems, we must be willing to identify the problem, let go of blame and shame, and focus on possible creative solutions. To successfully negotiate and solve problems in relationships, we must have a sense of our bottom line and our boundary issues, so we don't waste time trying to negotiate non-negotiable issues.

We need to learn to identify what both people really want and need and the different possibilities for working that out. We can learn to be flexible without being too flexible.

Today I will be open to negotiating conflicts I have with people. I will strive for balance without being too submissive or too demanding. I will strive for appropriate flexibility in my problem-solving effort.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

JANUARY 11

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Today is your day to laugh at life. Laugh loud - laugh often. Laugh at what's funny - laugh at what's sad. Laugh at me - laugh at you - laugh at life.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

DAILY REFLECTION:

Peace
If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.
– Lao Tzu

I am struggling right now with living in the future. The health of someone I love very much is declining rapidly and visibly. I see this person only a few times a year, and the difference between the last visit in the fall and this visit is startling and frightening. I can only envision this path continuing downhill to death, and I am frightened and angry at that prospect. Sharing my fear at a meeting has helped to lessen the anxiety, but it is still there. I know that death is inevitable, and I pray for acceptance of that fact. Perhaps more importantly, I must pray that I am ready when it does come. Only through acceptance and the help of my Higher Power can I return to living in the present. Only then will I again be at peace.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

JANUARY 12

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
I’m a drop of water and can create a gentle ripple of recovery OR I can send out rough, crashing waves of destruction. Now I know it’s my choice.
- Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:

A Bird Sings
“A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.”
- Maya Angelou

I am reminded that I don’t always have to have an answer for the questions in my life. There are times when I must just sit with my questions, awaiting the knowledge of my Higher Power’s will for me. But that does not stop me from singing my feelings, whether they are happy or sad. Like a bird, my song expresses my self, not my answers.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

JANUARY 13

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Stay committed to your decisions, but stay flexible in your approach.
- Tony Robbins
-
DAILY REFLECTION:

All human failures are the result of a lack of love.
--Alfred Adler

How much easier it is to continue working toward a challenging goal when we're bolstered by the loving support of a favorite person, a spouse, or parent. We'll not succeed at every job or game we attempt - nor should we expect to. For all of us, our talents are many, but not total. However, our failures will be fewer and far less devastating when they occur within the context of a life rich with loving human contact.

Those who don't know the comfort of love find their steps and thoughts are haunted by the fear that they don't count - that there is no purpose to their lives. Only by knowing the reality of love can we glimpse the richly textured tapestry of human life, and only then can we feel secure that all is well.

One purpose for our lives is to assure others of their importance to the life pattern that captures us all. And when each of us is committed to that purpose, both the fear and the reality of human failure will be erased

Old 01-14-2016, 06:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

JANUARY 14

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they’re yours.
--Richard Bach
-
DAILY REFLECTION:

Self-Control

Sometimes, when I am overwhelmed... I realize that I am so busy running about, that I am not taking care of myself.

Next thing I know, I'm tired and worn.

I'm not exercising, I'm not eating properly.

I'm not practicing my spiritual footwork...and what has already been too much for me to handle becomes so much more of a problem.

It is at this time that I must step back and practice self-control:

Cut back on my commitments.

Take the time to make good choices about my health.

Spend each day moving forward on my spiritual path through writing and praying.

I must exercise self-control and move away from unhealthy behavior so that I can be my best self.

Today, I choose to put "first things first" and exercise self-control so that I benefit from the rewards.

Dear God, help me to make good emotional and physical choices. Guide me to put first things first.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

JANUARY 15

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Reality is what you believe it to be. It's what you put your thought and energy into, because your hands physically manifest thought. So your world becomes what you feel and what you think.
- Jewel
-
DAILY REFLECTION:

The shy man usually finds that he has been shy without cause and that, in practice, no one takes the slightest notice of him.
- Robert Lynd

We sometimes feel self-conscious in front of others. It may be that we've just gotten braces or a new haircut and we're afraid everyone will stare at us. We stop smiling and talk with our heads bowed. Many people have worn braces and many more will. We need not be ashamed just because we feel different. By beginning to smile again we will see how many people really didn't notice our braces, or our haircuts, or anything but what they see inside us.

All we need to do is lift our heads and smile. We will be amazed to find how little even our best friends notice about the externals, the things that don't really matter. Who we are is far more noticeable and far more important than what we look like. A smile at shy times helps us accept ourselves as others do.