"Today's Hope"

Old 03-20-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

March 20

This is posted from the "Today's Hope" site of Alanon.

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
You have to accept whatever comes and the only important thing is that you meet it with courage and with the best that you have to give.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

DAILY REFLECTION:
One Day at a Time

One day at a time is how I get through every part of my life. My meetings have allowed me to take each new day when I wake up as a gift. I start on the ride to school with my son and we each say what we are grateful for. I am able to say I am sorry when I have had a slip and have lost my temper with him.

The greatest gift is that each moment is an opportunity to be the person I really want to be. I share with my son about 'HALT - Hungry, Angry, Lonely and Tired" and if perhaps I hadn't used that tool this time, but I also tell him when I am using it. It helps the whole family to recognize those feelings and to act on them in appropriate ways by eating, napping, leaving the room, calling an Al-Anon or Alateen friend.

Daily readers almost always give me something to work on and I find my Higher Power through reading and listening to the people in my group share. Just for today I am still with my husband and I am able to find joy. I appreciate my son and the time I have with him. *I have found hope, joy, peace and friendship. I am learning unconditional love my myself, my alcoholic and my children.

Daily share from the forum can be found here: Today's Sharing - Today's Hope

Old 03-21-2016, 05:49 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

March 21

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
We cause ourselves untold misery whenever we believe others to be imperfect and try to change them. You have no ability whatsoever to change anyone other than yourself. You can only cause yourself great suffering if you try.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

DAILY REFLECTION:
Home

Settle down, it’ll all be clear
Don’t pay no mind to the demons
They fill you with fear
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found
Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m going to make this place your home

Philip Phillips – "Home"

I have found a home for my spirit in Al-Anon. A place where I am not alone in my fear, where I can find help in dealing with the demons and fears in my life. A home where I was able to find myself again, when I was lost in the chaos and unmanageability of life in an alcoholic family

Old 03-21-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

My theme song!!!! I've shared before that I blasted this song while I set up my new home for me and my boys after leaving XAH...the words we listen to are so very powerful. My boys still remember it every time it comes on the radio--"mom, remember how you would blare this and yell the lyrics and dance around when we first moved?"...said to me while grinning with maybe a little eye-roll...it's such a happy memory.

And for those still in it contemplating leaving, that little house felt more like home than anywhere I'd lived before. It was small and needed tons of work and it was safe and full of love and OURS.

There IS hope today.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

March 22

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Putting "First Things First" in troubled times often means that I find whatever way I can to set aside what burdens me, even if just for a moment, to make time for myself.
- Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
Isolation

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main.
- John Donne

I think people love this poem because it speaks of our connectedness. Although there are different religions, cultures, races, and colors, we are essentially one. But this poem is describing something far more profound than the connection of the human race. It is our unity with creation, our unity with the energy of the universe, our connectedness with God. We dance with passion and spontaneity when we know that we belong - that we are not only part of, but reflectors of, creation and the Creator. Our life is a universal dance.

Today I choose not to give energy to isolation or separation in my life.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:01 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

March 23

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
When your values are clear to you, making decisions becomes easier.
- Roy E. Disney

DAILY REFLECTION:
Daily Inventory

One of the best habits I have acquired over time is the habit of keeping a daily inventory.

This daily inventory is just for me, a type of running journal or diary to help me gain clarity about my day-to-day life.

Each night, before I go to bed, I list the following things:
1. Ten things that I am truly grateful for.

2. What I felt I handled positively during that particular day.

3. What I felt I handled poorly and could improve on.

4. A wish list of what I hoped for most.

Over time, an interesting pattern began to emerge.

By looking back through my daily recollections over the course of several months, I could see exactly who I was continually struggling with in my relationships, what character flaws I had obviously been unwilling to give up, my positive or negative attitude on any particular day, and of course... what came true from my wish list.

It was almost comical to look back on a day where I was particularly moody or fussy and see a gratitude list that said:

I'm grateful for this pizza.

I'm grateful for this bed.

I'm grateful for being left alone.

I compared it to a list on one of my spiritually sound days which read:

I'm grateful for the love of my children.

I'm grateful for my job.

I'm grateful for my intelligence.

My daily writing held a historic record of my life: painful emotions I had overcome, gifts I had been granted from my Higher Power and my hard-work, and the change in my maturity and my spiritual growth.

These daily reflections keep me centered, focused, on track, and provide an area to ground myself when I find myself in the middle of a slip.

They remind me when to "go easy" and when it is time to "get to work."

Taking the time for a daily inventory, a life assessment, keeps me moving forward on my spiritual path.

Dear God, help me to be honest when looking at my strengths and weaknesses. Help me to find gratitude in the smallest things and to learn from my past and use it to improve on my future.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

March 24

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.
- Epictetus

DAILY REFLECTION:
I can live for two months on a good compliment.
-- Mark Twain

Newcomer
At a meeting I shared about a loss I've gone through, and the response was amazing. People expressed sympathy and understanding, and a number of them shared experiences of their own that were similar to mine. It surprised me. I'd told the same story at a different meeting, and people there didn't say a thing to me. I had left feeling like there was something wrong with me. I can't figure out what I did differently this time; maybe there was something about the way I shared.

Sponsor
My hunch is that the difference in response to your sharing from different groups of people had to do with things over which you had no control. There are many possible explanations for people's responses to us; we needn't assume we're responsible for what they do or don't do.

There's an Al-Anon slogan (nicknamed "The Three C's") that says, "I didn't cause it, I can't control it, and I can't cure it." For me, it's a helpful one to remember, especially when people in my life are active in an addiction or are on a "dry drunk." It's useful in situations with non-addicts, too. Most human beings behave as they do for reasons that have little to do with us.

We're entitled to support and response from other human beings. When I find myself in a group where I experience a warm, engaged response from others, I make a point of returning. Support and validation from others quenches one of my deepest thirsts. But we can't rely on others to give us a sense of self-esteem. That comes from within; it grows as we do the work of recovery.

Today I go where I find food for my spirit.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

^ HP-that quote/the picture above....oh my, made me cry this morning (but good tears). I spent so many years suppressing my inner voice and praying but not listening to the answer that was given me. I didn't like the answer! But God almighty was it the truth.

Thank you very much for posting these each day-they truly help
Old 03-25-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

March 25

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Today I give whatever understanding and encouragement I can to the alcoholics in my life. It is based on what I can provide, not on what they want.
- Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
Unity
Our common welfare should come first; personal progress for the greatest number depends upon unity.
- Al-Anon’s Tradition 1

When I share my experience, strength, and hope in a meeting, I always remind myself to be guided by my Higher Power. While I usually think that I am talking to aid my own recovery, or to share my own pain or joy; what is important is what another person might gain from my words. Our unity of purpose is to help others who have been affected by the diseases of alcoholism and addiction in their loved ones and to support each other in our recovery.

Recently a friend shared with me two experiences he had in meetings, where another person’s sharing spoke directly to his own experience, to his own struggles, and helped him to find a small step towards serenity. One of those shares came from a new member at her first meeting. Our Higher Power can truly speak through anyone. Another friend relates having shared, feeling like she had really said nothing important, until a member across the room said “Thank you, that’s the first time today that I have laughed. Thank you for that.” I need to remember these and similar stories, and to know that God may choose to speak to someone else through me, whether I ever know it, or not.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

March 26

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Real generosity toward the future consists in giving all to what is present.
- Albert Camus

DAILY REFLECTION:
Sharing is healing.
- Cathy Stone

It's not easy to share the intimate details of our lives. We have guarded our secrets for years. But now it's suggested that we tell our secrets to people whose names we barely know. That's certainly not the way we were raised, and listening to others reveal their awful truths startles us initially. However, we can't help but notice how much better than us other people seem to feel. We eventually understand that the more we open up, the less encumbered we'll feel by the past.

The magic in sharing our experience, strength, and hope with others is hard to define. We simply know that when we do it, we feel relieved of our burden and we help someone else feel less isolated. We have come together because we want to get well.

I will make sure I'm not keeping something to myself today that's causing me pain. Whoever I share it with will be helped too.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

March 27

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
You create stress in your life by getting angry, and you can instantly remove that stress by granting forgiveness.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

DAILY REFLECTION:
Regrets

​There are things in my life that I have regretted doing.

There are things in my life I have regretted saying.

Sometimes these regrets lay heavy in my heart for long periods of time and yes, sometimes I wish I could take them back.

But I have learned from these regrets.

I cherish these mistakes as much as I cherish the right decisions I feel I have made.

Why?

Because my regrets remind me of how I want to live my life today.

I cannot take back a harsh word or an unkind action, but I can be reminded through the burden of my regrets and choose to be a better person in my words and actions today.

Dear God, help me to choose wisely my words and actions. Help me to live life as a kind, compassionate human being.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

March 28

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Hope leads me to the future. With the support of Al-Anon, I can free myself of the past.
- Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
Accountability

Let it begin with me.

When I find myself in a frustrating or upsetting situation, I realize that it is me who is getting upset. Instead of trying to fix those around me, I try to look at my own attitudes and behavior. I let the change begin with me.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

March 29

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Al-Anon gives me a new view of my world by helping me to see myself more clearly.
- Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
Bring Any Request to God

Bring any request you have to God.

No request is too large; none too small or insignificant.

How often we limit God by not bringing to God everything we want and need.

Do we need help getting our balance? Getting through the day?

Do we need help in a particular relationship? With a particular character defect? Attaining a character asset?

Do we need help making progress on a particular task that is challenging us? Do we need help with a feeling? Do we want to change a self-defeating belief that has been challenging us? Do we need information, an insight? Support? A friend?

Is there something in God's Universe that would really bring us joy?

We can ask for it. We can ask God for whatever we want. Put the request in God's hands, trusting it has been heard, and then let it go. Leave the decision to God.

Asking for what we want and need is taking care of ourselves. Trust that the Higher Power to whom we have turned over our life and will really does care about us and about what we want and need.

Today, I will ask my Higher Power for what I want and need. I will not demand - I will ask. Then I will let go.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

March 30

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
The problem with making assumptions is that we believe they are the truth.
- don Miguel Ruiz

DAILY REFLECTION:
Opinions

“They say you got to choose your side and when it’s done nobody right, nobody wrong”
Michael Franti & Spearhead — Nobody Right Nobody Wrong

On a day-to-day basis, I have hundreds of opinions that regularly change as I receive new information. Interestingly, I realized today that I occasionally get offended when others’ opinions don’t line up with mine. In the past, I used to either get angry or reject my own opinion because I was afraid of being alone and isolated. Today, however, I try to remember that, for me, it is OK for me to have an opinion and it is OK for others to have a differing opinion. I believe that everyone’s path is different. Moreover, it is perfectly acceptable for opinions to change. I am not my opinions and I will try not to see my value as a person as dependent upon the number of people that agree with me.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Thanks for these, honeypig
Old 03-31-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  

March 31

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
I may not recognize our progress right away, but the effects of working my Al-Anon program are profound and lasting.
- Heard in a meeting

DAILY REFLECTION:
Two things a man should never be angry at: what he can help, and what he cannot help.
--Thomas Fuller

In the Serenity Prayer, we pray for the wisdom to know the difference between what we can change and what we cannot. That distinction can be hard for many of us to recognize. When we finally see the reality clearly – that some things we face cannot be controlled by our own will or fixed by force – new possibilities open up to us. When we stop trying to move a mountain, our relationship to the mountain changes. We start to live at peace with the mountain. At the same time we can take greater responsibility for those parts of our lives that we can change.

Peace of mind comes from accepting what we can do nothing about and taking responsibility for what we can.

Today I pray for the wisdom that helps me know the difference.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

April 1

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
I was created in love. For that reason nothing can express my beauty nor liberate me except love alone.
- Mechtild of Magdeburg

DAILY REFLECTION:
Resolve to be thyself; and know that who finds himself, loses his misery. *
- Matthew Arnold

Our need for approval compels us to try to look good - no matter what's going on. We imagine that somehow everything will be okay as long as it looks okay. Our hearts may be breaking from fear, disillusionment, and rejection, real or imagined, but we keep smiling so that no one will guess. Why do we do this to ourselves? Is it so hard to turn to a friend and say, "Hey, I'm hurting. I've been having a bad time and I need help"? Would the earth tremble if we said it right out, just like that?

We're not likely to get what we don't ask for. Instead of denying that our knees are shaking, our hands are sweating, and our stomachs are in torment, we can admit and share the truth. We don't have to say "Fine!" when someone in the program asks us how we're doing. Our real friends aren't impressed by stiff upper lips; they're impressed by personal honesty.

Today I will tell someone the truth about how I feel. If I'm not fine, I won't say that I am.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

After the week I had, I came back to re-read the reflections from 3/27 and 3/31. Thanks to honey pig, for taking the time to post these daily.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  

April 2

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
Resistance creates suffering. Stress happens when your mind resists what is. The only problem in your life is your mind's resistance to life as it unfolds.
- Dan Millman

DAILY REFLECTION:
The First Step

The first time I went to Al-Anon, I was not ready to hear the hope of recovery. I still wanted to control the alcoholic and thought that by learning more about the disease of alcoholism, I could have that control. So I went to six meetings, hoping to hear how I could fix him. When I was never told how to do that, I did not go back to the seventh meeting. I was confused.

I remember hearing about detaching with love. I could detach, but with resentment and conditions. I was more and more feeling out of control. I remembered the laughter and peace I felt with the Al-Anon group. So, I returned to find out how someone could have such peace and serenity.

I was ready to listen.

I realized my life had become unmanageable and broken and I needed to work on me. I finally started to let go. I now have a relationship with a Higher Power that I trust and one that does not judge, to which I can bring my fear and confusion.

I am no longer alone and I am learning peace and serenity one day at a time. I still have days where I awaken feeling less than, and I struggle, but I have a group I can go to and feel their strength and know I am enough. I have a sponsor and other members I can call.

I feel blessed to have found this fellowship of AFG.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

^ soooooo true. All of it. Thank you
Old 04-03-2016, 05:00 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

April 3

DAILY SLOGAN/SAYING:
A man can detect a speck in another’s hair, but can’t see the flies on his own nose.
- Mendele Mocher Seforim

DAILY REFLECTION:
My father taught me that only through self-discipline can you achieve freedom. Pour water into a cup and you can drink. Without the cup, the water would splash over. The cup is discipline.
- Ricardo Montalban

It is no accident that the words discipline and disciple come from the same root. To be a disciple of any path, one must be disciplined. Life works best when we learn to discipline ourselves.

Discipline liberates rather than confines you. Discipline allows you to function with ease and grace. After years of practicing his strokes, a tennis player can hit the ball without having to think about it. What once took conscious effort is now second nature.

Unfortunately, many of us had discipline forced upon us as children. Naturally, we rebelled against an externally imposed structure. We were not shown that true discipline always comes from within, and the motivation for that urge is love. When we are doing what we love, when we are pursuing something that has meaning, discipline comes naturally. As one Olympic athlete explained, "I don't mind working out every day. Because I love what I am doing, my training is not a burden but a joy."

Discipline is your ticket to freedom and path to excellence. Choose to be disciplined in all your endeavors and become the master of yourself and your life.