All About Me

Old 04-09-2008, 01:39 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Sophia, You should not be intimidated by others. You live in one of the most glorious countries in the world...tell us about it.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WantsOut View Post
Trust me, Sophia, my life sounds a lot more interesting than it actually is

I'd love to hear all about you. Please do tell ...
Same here. I've always seen myself as pretty average. Not a bad thing to be really. Happiness and presonal satisfaction with my life is what counts to me.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:41 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
I Finally Love My Life!!!

Well - I'm 34 y.o. and almost 6 ft tall.

I'm a nerdy geek at heart but don't look like one - so I get strange reactions from people who expect me to be someone else - it's really comical! I have a tattoo and a navel piercing but wear a suit to work - if someone finds out their expression is priceless I'm into everything from Inuyasha to String Theory. I went to College to be a musician and left with a degree in cognitive psyc. Now I work with computers - I still have my old Atari

I fix up my house and spin wool (drop spindle) for fun. I love the outdoors and always try to hike the arethusa falls trail at least once every summer. Among things I Tivo are: Dirty Jobs, Deadliest Catch, It's me or the dog, and Jeopardy.

I recently had a new addition to my life. Her name is Connie and she looks like a pure bred shepherd - but is a mix. She's 3 y.o. and a rescue with a heart of gold.

I was going to go back to school and get my masters in IT...but since I started taking care of myself a year ago, I decided to do a little "living in the now" and simply enjoy my time away from work, instead of filling up my schedule again. I work less hours and have time to do things I want to do - hang with friends, walk on the beach with my dog, etc - especially since the snow is finally starting to melt!

Life is good
Old 04-10-2008, 09:12 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

OK (deep breath)
I'm 50, 5 ' 3' and dark-haired (the grey is well covered!)
I'm a Senior Executive Librarian, have a degree and diploma. I work full time in a very pressured environment with responsibity for up to 60 people.
Reading is my life, my true love, my escape.
My other true love is my West Highland Terrier, Jack, who's nearly three and fiesty cuddle-minster.
Married to an RA.
Love the internet, old children's books, walking doggie, taking photos, travel (if we had the money).
Always been a loner, no girlfriends to speak of bar my bestest and only who lives an ocean away in Boston. Not a joiner, love to be alone, yet love to talk one on one to people.
Not in the least sporty!
There's more but not all good and this is a positive thread
PS Ireland is waay too romanticized - we have major drug/drink problems, huge anti social behavior problems, a terrible health service and a chrronic congestion and dreadful infrastructure....oops, forgot to be positive, but that's Irelans's reality, scenery or no scenery.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:49 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

well... i'm 23, i have blonde-brown hair and blue eyes. i'm 5'6", always (well, pretty much) smiling, have a dimple in one side, freckles in the summer. i have a great dog who is a pitbull, but thinks she's a golden retriever. her name is haze, and she's my little buddy. i live with my BFF, who is also sober, and has a real golden retriever named chance.

i like being outside. more often than not, i'll opt to be outside. i wear flip flops all the time, and i call them jerusalem cruisers. my motto - if they're good enough for jesus, they're good enough for me. i'm very flip, tongue-in-cheek, silly, sarcastic, etc. i make jokes almost always, even when it's not quite the right time. can't help it, it's how i cope. i love to laugh, and most of the people i'm closest to have ridiculous senses of humor. my mom is the strongest woman i know, and i admire her above anyone. i love recovery. i love to eat! i'm a bit of a sugar junkie. i'm an avid reader, music listener, movie watcher. i think my next big adventure is learning the harmonica. i played saxophone for like, 8 years, so harmonica should come okay.

i also love being active, thus the outdoorsy-ness. i LOVE snowboarding, it's my fave. i love to ride my bicycle, i like to longboard, i like going to the beach, i love swimming, i like softball, i like chucking a frisbee around, camping, whatever. give me my dog, some buddies and some sunshine, and i'll show you a happy girl.

oh, and i'm a virgo. i like things perpendicular. yessss...
Old 04-10-2008, 05:12 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

Sophia, you sound very accomplished to me! Kiss your sweet doggie for me

Originally Posted by Sophia57 View Post
OK (deep breath)
I'm a Senior Executive Librarian, have a degree and diploma. I work full time in a very pressured environment with responsibity for up to 60 people.
My other true love is my West Highland Terrier, Jack, who's nearly three and fiesty cuddle-minster.
Married to an RA.
Love the internet, old children's books, walking doggie, taking photos, travel (if we had the money).
Always been a loner, no girlfriends to speak of bar my bestest and only who lives an ocean away in Boston. Not a joiner, love to be alone, yet love to talk one on one to people.
Not in the least sporty!
There's more but not all good and this is a positive thread
PS Ireland is waay too romanticized - we have major drug/drink problems, huge anti social behavior problems, a terrible health service and a chrronic congestion and dreadful infrastructure....oops, forgot to be positive, but that's Irelans's reality, scenery or no scenery.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:22 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sophia57 View Post
OK (deep breath)
Hey! I'm a newbie Librarian! Can I have a job?

(Just kidding, but I wanted to point out that I'm impressed by you! I'd love to be you when I grow up...)
Old 04-16-2008, 04:22 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Alright then, since no ones come in here for some days.

When I was small I loved ART. I use to draw and paint with the soul. I wanted to be an artist but my parents said there was no money in it. I can still draw with a pencil even after not drawing for years.
Wow, do you think I may be a natural? Strangely enough, a passion I never used.

Anyone else want to share??????
Old 04-16-2008, 08:35 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

When I was younger I wanted to be a dancer, but we had no money for lessons...and lucky me, my parents pointed out there was no money in that.

Now, I love to dance whenever I can...out with friends, at weddings (usually just me and my best friend on the dance floor), and in my living room. A LOT. Actually, I had a complete dance number for law school exam days. I would play the same music and dance in the same patterns to ward off pre-exam anxiety. I did this for all 3 years of law school finals. I did well, so I guess my ritual worked!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:43 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Inspired, by prodigal, I am bumping this.

It will be nice to get to know some of the new people.

There is a part two that FD started in August.

Since my March post my divorce became final, though I still have some outstanding issues that could take years, so I leave that to the lawyers. My casual dating of several men has been reduced to one not so casual, but not so serious either LOL. It's nice to have someone to LOL with.

I now volunteer once a month on the train restoration and love it. Both my businesses are doing well. I am amazed daily by how much I can accomplish now that my mind, body and spirit are not consumed with alcoholism.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:07 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Heeeeyyyyyy I remember this thread!!! Thanks Denny for the bump!! And thanks (passing it backward!) FD for sharing about yourself and providing the inspiration to get everyone to share about themselves!!

Not much has changed over here at 'ol B's house---still in school, still wrangling these teenagers - now dealing with older son's college apps (yikes!).

Trying to stay sane, serene, and satisfied! Meditating and making a plan for how to have a serene holiday season this year (not just 1/2 TRY to like I have for the last 15 years but actually achieve the serenity I crave at the turn of the year).

peace to all
:ghug2
B
Old 11-26-2008, 07:02 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

I love this thread, what a wonderful way to concentrate on positivity and to focus on our joys! - Thanks FD and Denny.

Things still the same 'ole here in Liverpool. Actually doing my accountancy course now, first exam in Dec; took up kick fit with my sister in September to help get into shape and have more fun outside of work - keep that work/fun balance!

I am really enjoying my life at the moment. Looking forward to getting to know all the newbies!!

Love to you all

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 11-26-2008, 07:09 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

I'm 5'5. I'm an LMT. Carry a little extra weight, but i've lost 30lbs of it this year (yay me!). I love to cook. I love to entertain. I love to read. I like movies. I'm a complete history buff and my tv pretty much stays tuned to History Channel International. I have a cat, Maeve. She's a maine coon named for an Irish Queen/Goddess (and fair acts the part). And a Dachsund/Cocker Mix named Ginger. It's like living w/ Garfield and Odie and i love it. I'm beautiful. I have an open heart. And I am able to look at myself in the mirror in morning.

Oh....and despite what Sophia says my romantic heart still yearns for a visit to the motherland. ;P

Last edited by Hotmess; 11-26-2008 at 07:10 AM. Reason: content
Old 11-26-2008, 08:21 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

It is so cool to get to know the people behind the posts!

So...here it goes. I'm 35 years old, 5'10, and have long strawberry blonde hair, and live in Denver. I'm a sales rep for a Sports and Fitness Company where I cover off on 7 states in the Midwest/Rocky Mountain areas. When I was finishing up Grad School, I had a simplistic idea that someday I would like to have a job that would allow me to dress up when I wanted to , but would also allow me to work in a "cute track suit" most of the time, and travel. Be careful what you wish for! I have to travel a lot for my job and get to work with some really cool, great people who have become good friends.

I am really enjoying living in Colorado. I moved to Denver from Atlanta a little over a year ago and do not miss the humidity, but do miss my friends there.

I have a fur-baby named Sidney. He is the coolest cat I have ever had, and he truly believes that he is human and rules the roost! I rescued the little guy from the shelter earlier this year, but realized recently....he actually rescued me with his unconditional love and sweetness!

My favorite artist is Ford Smith (one of his works is my avatar). I'll never forget when I walked into his gallery in Roswell, GA....I was mesmerized by his work and have been a fan ever since that day. He has a gallery in Santa Fe, New Mexico also and I'm planning on visiting it very soon!

I enjoy traveling, especially going to spas....I'm a SPA Girl at heart! I sort of lost myself in the last year, but am trying very hard to get back into doing the activities that I like. I love to practice yoga, go for long walks in some of the beautiful parks in Denver, horse back ride, hike, and play tennis. To add to that list...i just scheduled some golf lessons so that I can finally learn how to play correclty and am going skiing for the first time in my life this coming weekend. Due to my job being so entrenched in sports, I sort of get tired of sporting events, but do enjoy the occasional good college or pro basketball and football game (American football, not Soccer), but I have to see them in person and refuse to watch them on tv!

Anyway, I'm slowly starting to "dig" my life again...and realize that I have been blessed in so many ways! I feel very fortunate to have found SR and all of the wonderful people here who are very supportive as I'm working on putting my life back together! Hugs to you all!
Old 11-26-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

I happened to see this post bumped & thought I'd chime in myself. I turned 40 in October & am finally getting used to that idea. I'm 5'7 and constantly working to keep my weight in check with the help of Weight Watchers (developed my own journaling process after losing 20 lbs. with them a few years ago) & generally keep within 5 pounds of my goal weight. I have green eyes and short-platinum blond hair for which I pay my hairdresser dearly to keep looking wonderful - many people think it's actually naturally this color! I work as an IT project manager/business analyst for a mid-size oil company here in Dallas. I've been in the IT industry for about 12 years now, so I definitely qualify as a geek :-) While I have to wear business attire/suits every day, I have a secret wild side ... with a pierced navel & 3 tattoos. For my 40th birthday, I treated myself to 2 tattoos on the inside of my wrists. One is a copy of the pawprint of my eldest dog & the other is a copy of the pawprint of my eldest cat. Speaking of whom, I have 5 cats & 3 dogs, all rescues of one sort or another. All of my cats are tabbies, 4 boys & 1 girl, and range in age from 5 to 16. My dog population consists of 2 girls and 1 boy: an almost 12-yr. old Chow/Shepherd; a 3-yr. old Lab-mix; and a 1 yr. old Rottweiler-mix (mama's little boy.) I also have a 29-gallon tropical fish tank, which I love to watch while I unwind. I've been heavily involved with animal rescue for the past 5 years & dedicated my work in rescue to a beautiful Russian blue cat I had named Sterling whom I lost to cancer in 2003. I adore my pets and look forward every night to spending time with them when I get home. Aside from my rescue work, I enjoy baking, cooking, reading, and traveling. My parents were both born in Ireland, and aside from my mom & sister (dad passed away in 2006), the rest of our family lives around the British isles. I'm fortunate in that my parents took us overseas fairly often to visit when we were young, so I was virtually born to travel :-)

I've loved reading everyone's profile, and it's great to put a "face" with a name!
Old 11-26-2008, 09:17 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Wow, how did I miss this thread?

I guess I'll take the plunge!

Let's see, I hit the big 50 this year. I'm 6' tall (I come from a tall lanky family), have very short hair that I cheat and keep blonde with Miss Clairol, green eyes. I have two ADs, one is 30, my 20 year old still lives with me. I've been divorced since 1989.

I have taken college courses here and there over the years but finally decided to go back full-time this fall. I will graduate with a double degree, an associate of arts, and an associate of applied sciences in medical information technology (medical billing/coding/transcription). I've worked a variety of jobs over the years including COBOL programmer/analyst, drill press operator in a welding shop, freelance writer for a biker magazine, and veterinary assistant.

I have several rescue dogs and cats, and have also had a ferret, guinea pigs, and pet rats. I love to crochet, and also used to sketch a lot till I had surgery on both arms for pinched nerves and have some disability now that affects my ability to grip a pen/pencil. I also played piano and organ (took lessons for 10 years).

I have done websites for small businesses, though I haven't had time to do that since I started college, but I do ongoing website maintenance for one client in Canada who makes pajamas for greyhounds (one of my dogs is a greyhound). I learned by tutoring myself in HTML back in 1997 when I was down with the pinched nerves and going through Workman's Comp while waiting on a proper diagnosis.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:34 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

I'm so glad this thread is back!

The photo of my Cornish Rex vanished, as did my original post to this thread. So if anyone is wondering about the comment FD made regarding a croissant the size of a torpedo, I'll explain.

I attended L'Academie de Cuisine in Bethesda, MD and am schooled in classic French cuisine (I ain't no Julia Child!) and oriental cuisine. However, I was at the bottom of my class when it came to baking. I'm not keen on having to measure stuff.

So during one class in which we had to make croissants, I got bored kneading about a ton of butter into the dough. My croissant came out of the oven, and the chef/instructor held it up for the class to see and said, "DON'T let this happen to you." Yeah, that was some croissant - HUGE. It tasted great, but it sure didn't look like any croissant I've ever seen in a bakery.

I am the proud mother of two pure-bred Cornish Rex cats. Weird looking things. They have no guard hairs, don't shed, and their coats are wavy and very soft. They also have huge ears and an egg-shaped face. They're quite affectionate and good with children.

Then there is "Miss Mew" who somehow ended up on the roof of my house last November. I lured her down with a can of 9-Lives and she's been part of the furfamily ever since. I currently have another stray who resides in my backyard, but is fed twice daily. She's becoming tamer and letting me get closer. But with a dog and three cats, I'm up to my animal limit in this house!

I will have my bachelor's degree in May - B.S. in Legal Studies/Business Management from the University of Maryland. I did everything but the math courses online. I saved the math for last and I'm taking my courses at the local two-year college.

I hope to move back east to Baltimore within the year. I lived there my entire life and with the humid summers, mosquitoes, and cold winters, it's still my favorite place on earth. I lived near (and on) the Chesapeake Bay for many years and enjoy sailing and "stink-potting" (power boating). I'm also just a few hours away from Skyline Drive in Virginia. So I have the mountains and the water close by. Traffic is terrible, but the museums, art galleries, and cultural events more than make up for it.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:05 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

WOW I am among very intelligent and interesting people!! This thread rules!! Later on I will read every post.

I am 26, from Mexico, brunette and with a few extra pounds I am planning to shed in my Kick Ass Hibernation Plan whereby I obsess about ME and MY OWN HEALTH in and out... they have told me I have a pretty face but my eyes look very sad (for now..)

I got a B Sc in Computer science and I am in tech support, I support networks for hospitals, agencies, shops. Next saturday I am starting to take theater lessons, I appeared in a short film for a friend, I had to ride a gay man as if he was a pony haha it was weird but hot but cool. .but it was artistic.. well no clothes were shed I think they will add it in youtube...

I also LOVE to draw and paint and its been years since I do not draw anything... but now I am getting more inspired, thanks for your great artistic tips!!

I also love psychology and activism and would love to pursue a masters degree in something related to humanities, and send this boring 9 to 6 life down the drain... go study and later on work serving coffee or something LOL

I have an older sister that KICKS ASS, she lives in France and works for Handicap International, lobbying and making campaigns to ban cluster bombs. I helped her out with an international campaign and it was wonderful to see how many people signed the Oslo petition. A dad told me he is not letting any war related toys at home and a couple of Israeli tourists signed as well (we had Lebanese war pictures), that was really moving. My sis is married with a french guy and I am glad they are coming by the end of the year

My mom divorced 23 years ago and she has been depressed ever since. Anyway she has been great support for me at this time. I went to a retirement with AA and learned to forgive her. She lives in Mex city.

My dad remarried and I am getting along better with him and his wife. They seem happy, they live in Austin TX.

Just left an alcoholic guy and my heart is in pieces right now now under antidepressants to help me focus on my job as it is stressful and I a mess seeing him everydat as we work together

I LOVE yoga and spiritual practices that I of course avoid when I need them most.

On the same day I got a manicure and learned to use the drill to add a closet in my room to hang on my clothes. I dress up in a skirt and then go to my workplace with 200 men! But most of them are geeks although I am starting to befriend a couple.

I live with a friend and her sister, they are great and lively.

I am a loner but starting to appreciate sharing more about myself.

I have traveled a lot in Asia and Europe, I lived in Finland and in Singapore as a student, those were my greatest times.

Thanks a lot for being out there, you are all very inspiring!! and for reminding me who I really am above these bad times and circumstances.

Last edited by TakingCharge999; 11-26-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:19 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Where to start? I am a 36 year old mother of 2 beautiful girls. Both of my young ladies are very active, so they keep me busy and on my toes. I am about 5'5" and have an average build. I currently work in Education with Special Ed students after spending about 6 years in the MHMR field, MH side. Interesting enough, my BA's are unrelated, since I hold 2-1 in Political Science and 1 in History.. : ) I enjoy traveling and reading and movies. I prefer not to go to the theaters to see movies because I am hearing impaired and addicted to Closed caption!!! But I am up to date on all the movie rental new releases. : ) I volunteer at the local Meals on Wheels and love it. My girls and I have 3 dogs, 3 cats and 2 fish. I live in a small town, but we go at least twice monthly to one of the closer cities and do some fun stuff like laser tag, ice skating, theme parks, ect.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:29 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Ago

Try number three..../mutter mumble, I have written twice now, once accidently closing the tab, erasing everything, second time computer froze....grrrrr

OK, great thread, thank you to FD for starting this thread and to Denny for resurecting it.

Hmmm...let's see, three years ago tomorrow I went to "save" my mother's business, she and my sister were both in the hospital and if the restaurant closed the livelihood for my sister, niece, mother and stepfather vanished.

I commuted for a month or two, trying to run my own business and my mothers restaurant, three hour commute each direction, I was driving something insane like twelve hours a week bouncing in between the two businesses.

My mother leaned on me pretty hard to "take over" her business so she could retire, she was working about 100 hours a week, and it was literally killing her.

I sold my business, left my girlfriend, and moved up to "save my family".

I ultimately achieved my goal, but it cost me everything. I ran the restaurant for three years until my sisters baby got old enough to get into day care, then "pulled" my sister "off the hill" and trained her how to run the restaurant as my mother passed control of the restaurant over to me. This was a tedious and painful process.

My mother is retired, and my sister now runs the restaurant full time, achieving this objective was Godawful to say the least, anyone who has been married to an alcoholic can relate how hard this is, now imagine being "married" to three practicing alcoholics and a practicing opiate addict.

I looked and sounded exactly like "Stubborn1" on her very worst days (hugs sweetheart I know how you feel, I promise, it can be "crazy makin).

"What happened" was....I don't know, we all just got to "critical mass" and I made the decision to leave and left in under 72 hours, those three years had cost me my home, my girlfriend, my life savings, my self confidence, and my sanity.

I "returned home" broke, looking for a job, sleeping on friends couches, my friends in AA absolutely "circled the wagons" and absolutely loved me until I could learn to love myself again, those people "saved me", they really did, the outpouring of love and support was indescribable.

When I had started calling them, the answer I got from every single one of them was absolutely unconditional, they all said the same thing, "Do you have any IDEA how much we love you? Do you even realize how many people you've helped over the years, all the people you twelve stepped, the dozens of people you let live on your couch, gave jobs to, sponsored, gave a "hand up" to, that there are dozens in AA that actually say "they owe their sobriety to you" how many people "share" how important you were to them at meetings?

At that time I needed to hear that, I absolutely didn't recognize the person they were describing, to say I was "beaten up" by the last three years was an understatement of nearly biblical proportions.

I felt that what my family did was the worse betrayal I have ever heard of.

It truly cost me everything, it cost me my whole life, and they didn't care.

To add insult to injury, the woman I was dating at the time started throwing this all in my face, telling me i was "useless", calling me "jobless" and homeless" and saying "look at everything I have, you have nothing, clearly it's because you are a bad person, you deserve everything that has happened to you, and the fact you are jobless and homeless is a reflection of who you are as a human being, and I am GLAD I didn't help you, I made sure I was the last person you could come to for help.

When I left her for lying to me, drinking, "disappearing" for days and sending me poison emails, her hate filled invective filling up my "inbox" only strengthened my resolve to heal myself. I have NEVER had anybody "kick me when I was down" so badly. When I did leave her, she called it "abandoning her" and that I "hid behind my program" and that "once I didn't need her any more I left her." because I was "chickensh1t".

Nothing could have been further from the truth.

That period of my life was the darkest period I have ever gone through, darker and more difficult then my "alcoholic" bottom which is described as "pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization".

I am that person that they all "loved" again, thanks in no small part to the love they showered on me, to the support they gave me. It was harder then I can say to need help, and harder still to "accept" help. I felt pathetic, small, beaten up, my self esteem was at an all time low, not helped by this woman "that loved me" absolutely doing her best to tear me down.

Today Life is Good, I am "speaking" tonight for a group of drunks the night before Thanksgiving, I am going to volunteer my time tomorrow to help feed, and be with "sober alcoholics" then go be with a family that adopted me 33 years ago.

I am happy, joyous and free, I am surrounded by loving friends, met a girl I can not BELIEVE is real, work is rewarding and very lucrative, I can work two days a week if I so desire and still be plenty "in the green" or work more, there is the distinct possibility (as in we are working on this right now) me opening up a branch of this company here, with a great salary, bennies, profit sharing...my future looks good if I so desire to follow this career path.

My "insides" feel good, my "outsides" are all falling into place...Life is good again.

Today, I truly have reasons to be Thankful.

God bless all of you, you all are one of those reasons.

FD, thank you again for this thread.