All About Me

Old 04-02-2008, 11:58 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Another artist here...

Really enjoyed reading this thread, great topic FD

Well I'm 30 years old (but still 17 at heart!) I'm 5ft 8, long brown hair, blue eyes. I'm from Liverpool, England.

I'm Mummy to my ten year old daughter and my two cat's Matty and Jelli and part time puppy sitter (I watch my brothers Pup at the weekends).
My daughter is a handful but I admire her will, lol. She's starting high school this year which is terrifying for me! I'm not THAT old!

I adore animals and have been a vegetarian since I was 9 years old. I hate any type of animal cruelty but am not the type of vege to shove it in your face. I love food too and love nothing more than a big plate of veges and potatoes, yummy!

I have a lovely home which I enjoy spending time in, it's a big old georgian style property with big rooms and high ceilings. We also have a big old stone walled garden which we're in the process of doing up with lots of potted plants. Hopefully the green fingers will take hold and we'll have a lovely bloom in a few months.

I draw portraits and sell them, working mainly in pencil but occasionally water colours. I also do digital art using Photoshop and a tablet which is immense fun, still a beginner in that field but I love learning new techniques.

I love being at home and don't go out very often, even when I do it's only to visit my Mum & Dad. I have the best Mum in the world, who's also my best friend and I couldn't be without her.

I love reading and watching movies and I love watching soap opera's too, am addicted to them, lol. I prefer reading biographies but love a bit of slushy romance now and again.

And that's about it from me :o)
Old 04-02-2008, 01:31 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Wow, lots of artists and writers on this forum. And curly-headed, brown-haired gals. What's up with that?

It's wonderful to finally get to know the people behind the names. We're much more than just a bunch of codies. I think it's limiting to define myself as a codie. That's one label I'll avoid using in the future.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:26 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

I like this thread... I too am an artist. I am 52, 5'4" and healthy. I just finished a graduate degree and want more. I teach art in public school outside of Boston. I love the city and the beach. I have a Jack Russell Terrier and have always pictured myself with a giant poodle and a couple of cats.
I have three kids in college and they are great. I spent 23 years as a military wife and made the most of it.....the travel and changes were great. It's nice to meet you all.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:29 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

It would be fun to see an art gallery of the wonderful artistic works of the SR people. I'd love nothing better than to have a painting on my wall done by one of my wonderful friends here.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:35 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Not a bad idea, GiveLove. Perhaps an even better idea would be a thread where everyone is included. How about I start a F&F hobby/art/craft thread? That way everyone can participate. Folks could post photos of their drawings, paintings, crafts, hobbies, activities they enjoy and the like.

I'd much rather focus on the things in life that bring me joy than the things in life that rob me of my joy.

What do you think?
Old 04-02-2008, 10:06 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Wow.... how GREAT to get to know you all...

Lets see... Who am I today.

I have been a single Mom for 16 years and my daughter is the most amazing person I know.... she is also going to make me a Grandmother in about 2 months.... yep Im going to become a Grandma and she is living with me so I get the pleasure of getting to know

Emmy Ann

Up close and personal.... we are very excited and YES .... Im a young Grandmother. Im currently dating a man who is amazing.... we had been dating about 1.5 years (off and on) and I really enjoy the time we have together..... we will have to wait and see if that relationship developes further but I hope it does. He is an alcoholic and works a really strong program and I love that I can share my recovery with him. I have been either working a program or in theaphy for over 30 years.

I work in the financial industry with over 24 years experience, today Im working for a major Brokerage firm.... Im series 7, 66 licensed and Im studying for my series 9, 10 and 24. I enjoy my job ... but its is not "the" job... but then again if I had "the" job I would have to think of something more so I had goals. So far I have pretty much loved what Im doing ... and if I dont ... well Im not apposed to huge changes... LOL... I have been known to change my life in major ways in a short amount of time.

Most important to me is my relationships... starting with God and working its way right now the list. People and relationships are what is most important to me.... then comes travel, nature, crafts and a motorcycle ride does not suck.... I love to ride with my BF.... one day I might just have to get a bike of my own.... right after I buy my horse!!!! I love to ride... but it has been awhile.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:51 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerDoormat View Post
I'd much rather focus on the things in life that bring me joy than the things in life that rob me of my joy.
What do you think?
I think that's a great idea.....I know that, in my case, I felt so lost and lonely and scared because of my A's actions, and it was because I'd lost my connection to mySELF. My own dreams, preferences, goals in life, unique talents, and pride in the things I had accomplished, all went under the steamroller of "oh no, what's HE doing? what if he leaves? what if he's drinking?"

I love getting to know everybody here. So many good people.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:40 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I totally relate GiveLove...I also felt confused, embarrassed, and lost because of my husbands actions. I need to focus on the positive and dig myself out of the shame. I would love to see some artwork from you all. Isn't it interesting that so many of us have a creative streak.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:00 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Wavy Curly and Even Frizzy Too

I shied away and disappeared after my first post (pardon my issues), but couldn't resist counting myself among the ranks of the curly haired with alcoholic affiliations. There's a research study in there I'm sure!

I'm a 46 year old petite brunette - divorced since 1994. I have no kids, but am the proud mom of a sweet five year old high maintenance Lhasa Apso.

I teach adults for a living and feel fortunate to have the opportunity to touch lives in different ways. I care very much about my work and consider it my vocation.

I love to dance and travel. I read a lot. I was an avid spinner who worked out religiously until I had a bout with vertigo last year. I fell off the exercise wagon as a result, and haven't been able to get myself back on track since last November when I was given a clean bill of health. I know I have it in me, since my dedication to fitness and exercise helped me take off 50 lbs, but I'm just not stepping up to my own plate. (I do this often.)

I have a knack for languages and am grateful to people of other cultures for giving me the gift of open mindedness.

Thanks for the opportunity to introduce myself and bringing me out to play!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:12 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I don't know any of you very well, but I'll tell you a little about myself.
I'm 48, a hair under 5'4, blondish brown hair, blue eyes, married 31 yrs, 2 kids in their 20's and 3 grandkids.:ghug3
I'm a customer service rep, love my job but it's very stressful. I'm trying to stop smoking at the moment. I live in the country. I love to read and read all different kinds of books.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:25 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

OK, I've got the guts now, so here goes.
Im 48 next month (Taurean) woman, my description doesnt matter but my boys tell me im a cool, hot mamma... :rof The men in my life are 25, 21, 18 (sons) and my Australian Male Terrier is 16.
I live in the southern hills but Im currently thinking of moving into the country and changing jobs. Reason, Im the State Manager of a company and the stress, hours etc of work is getting to me. Ive always worked, owned my own cartage business for many years and then got into the roasted coffee bean business. I love to have a good laugh, good food, coffee & wine as I live close to wineries. I absolutely love to cook and read when I have the time.
My mother is my best friend and it was her birthday this week. Unfortunately though my little boy (dog) was in hospital this week not well. His kidneys have gone so Im not sure how much time we have left with him. He is on medication and medical food right now. Ohh, he did bark about an hour ago, so I ran outside to give him a hug. He now has a little appetite back too.
I have to admit I just ate a huge bag of chips, so there you go a love food and I still have more chocolate easter eggs to eat.
Ohh and before I go, I love motorbikes, classics, (BSA's) we have four of them restored. I grew up with bikes so its natural to go riding.
I just wanted to say also, thanks to everyone here for the support given to me through my troubles and just so you know I am great.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:12 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Sister of Alcoholic

Yay! What a fun post. About me:

I'm 31, 5'7", slender, redheaded / blue-green eyed / pale prone-to-sun damage skin. Style-wise I'm into colors and funky, "indie" clothing + shoes, shoes, shoes (what is it about women and shoes?). Just got married to my bf of 5 years. He gets and shares my sarcastic sense of humor, and he's intelligent, sweet, kind, and my total "rock" in these tough situations (in addition to you all, of course ).

I'm a college English and ESL teacher (but I tend to not be very grammatically or punctuationally-correct on these posts--see? I just made up a word!--so don't judge my Eng. skills by my emails, LOL). It's an amazing field to work in; I learn so much from my students. In spite of not paying much attention to grammar in my emails, I actually am quite a grammar and language geek. I really LIKE figuring out verb tenses, sentence structure, etc., and be careful if you challenge me to a game of Scrabble--I become obsessive!

My husband and I live in a very expensive state, so no plans to buy a house in the near future, if ever...I lived in San Francisco for 3 years (a great city), but we now reside outside of SF. We have one adorable kitty and plan to hold off on kids for at least 5 years.

In addition to teaching I am an avid knitter; when I'm not teaching or online, I knit, knit, knit. I'm currently working on starting up a kids / baby clothes online knitting site. I also created and run a charity knitting group whose express purpose is to create and donate blankets and other items to animal shelters and animal rescue organizations in the area.

I volunteer at our local animal shelter as well, working with the kitties and socializing them; it is very difficult to resist so many cute faces, but so far we only have our one kitty.

I also love reading, writing, film, art, music, chocolate, new foods, and travel. That about says it all!

Last edited by really_fed_up; 04-06-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:40 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

Ok -here it goes.

I am 5'5", blonde (thanks to Ms. Clarol), and 38-years old. I am Catholic but admire Buddhism and am interested enough in astrology to be proud to be a Scorpio. I have a Master's Degree in a subject I don't want to name, but it's a professional degree, and I work in online marketing and web production. I've been working at contract jobs for the last six months but my current contract is going to be up shortly and I want to find something perm this time. I own a house and rent half of it out. A goal this summer is to take over the whole house again.

I have a son who will be 19 next month. He is a musician and mediocre student, but a happy, healthy, and absolutely joyful person. I adore him and am a humble student of his ability to love life.

My hobbies are reading, particularly detective novels, working out at the gym, opera, museums, and gardening. I tend to isolate myself so my goal this summer is to make some friends so I can expand my horizons. A new hobby I am working on is digital photography. I have another passion project I don't want to name but because of my work I've been in multiple newspapers worldwide and interviewed by several news outlets including the BBC.

My other passion is cosmetics. I love to give people makeovers and have been thinking of working part-time at a make up counter at Macy's while I look for new work just so I could meet other women and get to play with make-up. I love getting my nails done too. I groove on facial masks - I just bought a charcoal mask and it's too cool.

I am on the moody side and am trying to be more stable in that regard. I am somewhat constricted and I know it. Sometimes I dream of being like you artists and maybe getting a tattoo or getting my nose pierced lol Maybe I'll dye streaks in my hair or something.

I love to smile and show off the gorgeous, expensive veneers on my teeth I love my cat. I have dinner with my parents once per week. I want a Mustang.

I am trying to learn to live in the Now.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:41 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Always hopeful...

FDM, this is the best topic I think we have ever seen here! It tells about us! I will be back to post about me....it has been a book, for sure since I first came here and actually for a few years before that. I absolutely love reading about the posters here! There are so many artistic people here. No surprize. Creative, artistic people are so sensitive. And, Lord knows, we are a sensitive bunch, cuz we feel for each other and the A's in our life. I am not artistic, can't even draw a decent stick person! But, am a care giver and have that sensitivty that seems to connect us.
Denny, I always knew you were 'so together' just not as much as you really must be!
Love reading about you all. I'll be back, but you won't want to hear my story.....
Hi ole friends.....I don't have good news.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:18 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Okay, Here goes...42 years young, 5'5", blonde hair(if you don't notice the grey), green eyes and still love to shop in the junior's dept.(although it emabarrasses my teen daughters )

I read all these posts and thought what a boring life I have! I am currently a stay at home to 2 teen daughters and a 6 year old son. My 3rd daughter who is 19 already moved out(long story).

When I had my oldest daughter I worked at an insurance company, but it broke my heart to be away from her(she'd cry EVERY time I dropped her off) so I quit that job and taught at a daycare center so I could be with her. I became an Assistant Director and stayed with that for 11 years til I had my son 6 years ago.

Been a stay at home mom since. I get lots of joy out of watching my children's gymnastics, cheerleading, riding lessons, musicals and talent shows. My kids are my life, I love them to death. The 2 girls at home are excellent students, very hard working and determined. My 6 year olds main focus in life is video games. He's a real character.

When I'm not busy with the kids, or busy with my job as PTA President at the middle school, I enjoy working out, tennis, reading and shopping(mostly just looking these days, but it's still fun.)

I'm in the process of looking for FT employment now and am really looking forward to finding something that will give me a feeling of accomplishment and also some adult conversation!

Last edited by whatnow2; 04-06-2008 at 10:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-07-2008, 07:50 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

WantsOut, you may enjoy this site for digital photographers: PhotoSig.com. You can post your work there and get critiques from professional and amateur photographers. The photos there are stunning.

Mazey, so GOOD to see you back. I've missed you.

WhatNow, your horse-back riding children may enjoy this site: White Oak Stables | Realistic Horse Game. It's a free online sim game for children.

I hope people continue to add to this thread so we can keep the focus on us and what's good in our lives. I find that when I focus on what's positive in my life, more good things seem to come my way. Or maybe there were always there and I'd just overlooked them.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mazey View Post
Hi ole friends.....I don't have good news.

(((mazey)))

when you're ready . . .
Old 04-08-2008, 01:08 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Wow. this is a little intimidating...you're all so successful, accomplished, creative, have oodles of hobbies and interests, positive outlooks, despite the rough times you've all been through.

Really don't feel I have much to contribute, not feeling sorry for myself, but there's not a lot I can say about myself that will measure up.

I really admire you all. You're a wake-up call to the narrowness of my life and interests - and that's my fault.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:49 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Sophia, (honey) you are unique & special, please tell us all about you.

I love that simple Sophia...
Old 04-09-2008, 12:36 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

Trust me, Sophia, my life sounds a lot more interesting than it actually is

I'd love to hear all about you. Please do tell ...