All About Me

Old 03-28-2008, 08:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

All About Me

I liked Best's and Prodie's idea about starting a thread that focuses on myself, so I'm running with it. Here are a few things you might not know about me. I'm a shorty, only 5'1" with super curly hair (though today I flat ironed it)--but I prefer to refer to myself as petite but powerful.

I have a 22-year-old daughter who will graduate from college in May. She makes computer games for girls and has owned and operated her own business since she was 13 years old.

I'm a serious dog lover. In my spare time, I'm a volunteer dog walker for a local no-kill animal shelter. I initially volunteered there because I thought I could "kill two birds with one stone," meaning I could help homeless dogs find new homes and I could lose weight at the same time. After 5 years of volunteering, I didn't lose a pound--but I gained three dogs.

I already had a dog when I began volunteering, so now I'm the mom of four dogs. My house is a bit hairy but the love and devotion I receive from my four dogs far outweighs the dog hair annoyance factor. Besides, I shed, too.

I make my living as an artist, so everyday I get paid for doing what I love. Imagine getting paid for making pretty things. How lucky am I?

In my spare time, I enjoy gardening and interior decorating. I tend to excel at both of these activities since creativity and having a unique way of seeing the world tend to be key ingredients for success in these careers, too.

Last year, I gave my front porch a beautiful spring makeover and I shared the photos on SR. I'm just getting ready to start another porch makeover this spring. I change my porch with every season--it's never the same--but always bright and colorful. Life is too short to live it in a neutral palette.

This weekend, I'll be giving my back deck a makeover. The colors this season will be aqua and white. I'm going for a beachy look. And to celebrate when I'm finished (if the weather cooperates), I plan to have my first cookout of the season. The menu this weekend will feature hamburgers, hot dogs, macaroni salad, baked beans, and deviled eggs. For dessert I'll be serving strawberry shortcake.

If the lighting is good, I'll take some digital photos of the end result and post them on this forum.

So, enough about me. Now it's your turn.

Question for Prodie: How was my paragraph length? Too long? Too short?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love sailing. Nothing like getting offshore, after a few days you get into the rhythm of the ocean and you feel like you are at one with the universe. The excitement of making a landfall.

I love photography. Every once in a while you can look at something that pleases your eye and capture the image permanently.

I love to read. Funny how we lose touch with the little things that give us so much pleasure when we get caught up in addiction and codependency.

I love good cinema. Every once in a while I read the NYT, how I envy those folks there, they have so many theaters and get to watch movies that you can't even locate at the video store. But I'm not sure I could live there.

I love the smell of the water, fresh water/salt water, doesn't matter
Old 03-28-2008, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ok, I'm 5'2-3/4" and I laugh a lot. I am a good friend. I love to cook and I love to eat. Travel is my passion. I read whatever, whenever, wherever. I utilize zen, the 12 steps and the writings of Joseph Campbell and Alan Watts to keep me grounded.

I have owned an independent film and television production company for the last 16 years and just recently bought a women's boutique as an investment against future writer's strikes LOL. I am stunned at how the two worlds collide and how running one is so similar to the other. The great thing is that now when I travel for my production work I also get to shop like mad and sell it in my shop. How great is that? LOL.

I volunteer my time. I'm very interested in literacy, cystic fibrosis and cerebral palsy issues. I love trains - I live near the Travel Town exhibit in Los Angeles and have applied to volunteer restoring old train cars.

I have a wonderful, diverse circle of friends. All ages, religions, political affiliations. I love having people in my life who have children and there always seems to be someone having a baby. I am casually dating a couple very nice men.

I have one brother and one sister living. Another brother died at age 34. My mother is alive; my father is deceased. About once a year my sister, mother and I travel to southern Italy to visit relatives. This is more challenging than you can imagine.

The weather here in Southern California is just beautiful right now. This weekend I will be spending as much time outdoors as possible, going to at least 2 Farmer's Markets.

I love my life.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Have already cooked on the grill about 10 times this year. Even started to snow one day as I was taking the burgers off *LOL* Raining today so I will need figure something out inside.
I am thinking of the garden already and because of the sharing here on SR, I have some nice recommendations for a few plants. I like fushia
and I am thinking a full bed of them grown as annuals (found a place to buy them cheap) will look nice.
So being creative in the kitchen and in the garden are things I enjoy and find peace in doing but almost nothing beats the feeling of a bike ride on a warm spring day. The sun shine on your back and the wind in your face and a length of open road ahead. Try it, you may find you like it *LOL*
Old 03-28-2008, 09:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A fun thread!!! YAY!!! Thanks FD : )

So...about me...I'm 5'5, so not tall and not short. I have long, dark, curly hair that if left curly makes me look like Cher (think "If I could turn back time") so I wear it straight every day, unless it's humid and I don't have a choice : ) I tend to dress more on the funky fun side and wear jeans on a regular basis, but more professional for work. I also LOVE shoes. I have over 100 pairs. I guess this qualifies as an addiction, but at least I'm not hurting anyone and I never buy them at full price. Oh, I'm also a huge bargain shopper and love finding clothes at the thrift store, which can be a scary process, but there are also some great gems people drop off!

As for my house, I live in a tiny one bedroom apartment in Brooklyn. I have a lot of velvet curtains and throw pillows all over the place with shag carpets. I actually just redecorated my bedroom. I kind of went for the romantic/seductive look with dark purple, black and charcoal grey. I also bought these crazy feather pillows. They sound very Ava Gabor, but look much better...promise!

For work, I'm a litigation attorney. I have always wanted to practice law. I guess you could say I was obsessed with it at a young age. Anyway, I work for a large international firm.

I didn't take the traditional path to college then to law school because I didn't have the money to do that. Instead, I went to beauty school while I was in high school through a vocational program to pay for it. Once I graduated from high school and beauty school, I started working in a salon in Scottsdale, AZ and trained with some very interesting hair stylists. After a couple of years, I started teaching for a hair product company and doing hair shows. That was a ton of fun! I then started college after three years of doing hair. I worked full time and taught all through college. I think I got MAYBE 4 hours of sleep a night! UGH! I'm still not sure what I was thinking.

Once I graduated from college, I moved to NY with my ex (but this is about me, so I'm not talking about him!). I absolutely LOVE it here!!! I'm not sure if it's because I'm from a big city originally (Chicago) or what the reason is, but sometimes I still can't believe I'm here and I appreciate it every day. I've been here for almost 8 years. I also went to law school here.

I don't have any pets, which really bums me out. My landlord won't let me. But I love dogs and cats. Even if I could have a cat, I wouldn't get one because in NYC if you are my age (35) with a cat and single, you are considered an undatable "cat lady." I wish I could say I was kidding!!! This can only be negated by having a dog also. Fortunately, one of my best friends has a dog so I get my animal time in.

My friend's dog's name is Jack and he is a golden retriever. I love him to death! She got him from a breeder in AZ and we picked him up at the airport together. He was a furry ball and only weighed 5 lbs. While she set everything in the house up for him, he sat on my lap and would cry if I got up, so I guess our love affair started then. Anyway, we have "dog park dates" just about every Saturday. Just me and Jack at the dog park. He's hilarious!

I think that's me in a nutshell!
Old 03-28-2008, 09:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

for my house, I live in a tiny one bedroom apartment in Brooklyn. I have a lot of velvet curtains and throw pillows all over the place with shag carpets. I actually just redecorated my bedroom. I kind of went for the romantic/seductive look with dark purple, black and charcoal grey. I also bought these crazy feather pillows. They sound very Ava Gabor, but look much better...promise!

Humm, a risk taker--I like that!
Old 03-28-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great thread!!

I must be the giant of SR, cus I am 5 ' 7.
Long blonde wavy hair, Blue eyes

Was a Realtor for 9 years, til career change last year into event planning. Recently laid off, but maintaing FAITH that God has a beautiful job waiting for me!

Mother of an outstanding, tall "Harry Potter" look-a-like 16 yr old who is in love with playing Tuba.

5 years + recovery in Al-anon, have a sponsor and sponsor others. Very dedicated to al-anon, service and feeling freedom!

Live in a comfy townhouse in Miami, FL, and have tons of beautiful friends in both fellowships.

I am an ameatur artist, love to paint on objects, furniture, canvas..anything that isnt nailed down, I will color,collage and create. Alas, not much time for that with intensive job hunting. (I envy you , Jill, that you get PAID to play!)

Life is hurting most times, I have to admit, but I refuse to quit, instead I just try to surrender, a day at a time, to whatever God's will is for me.

Today it was to participate in my recovery through a morning meeting, go to grocery store and now spend some time with your good folks!
Old 03-28-2008, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
You're all so interesting!

I'm 5'10", brown hair, oh heck if ya wanna see what I look like there's a pic of me and my kidlets on my user page! I'm desperately trying to lose the weight I put on in early sobriety by working out on an elliptical trainer and a body ball every day.

One of my many hobbies is amateur astronomy. I have a small collection of telescopes, next weekend my GF and I are taking my kids to an astronomy marathon we do every year.

For work I'm VP-Operations for a custom plumbing fixture showroom. I've been in the plumbing industry for almost 24 years. Got tired of being a plumber but I enjoy selling the products.

Last year I revived an old passion and bought another motorcycle. Haven't had one since 1992. Thankfully I had the sense to know that drinking and motorcycling would be the death of me so I sold it when I moved to Boston for a few years. Now I'm enjoying riding clean and sober, especially when my GF is with me.

I also enjoy cooking, reading (the last Harry Potter book is awesome, but normally I read self-help and recovery books), service and volunteer work, and a gazillion other hobbies.

More than anything I enjoy sharing life with my GF and children, and the treasured friends I've made in recovery. God has blessed me with an amazing life, and gifted me with sobriety and the faith to follow his will.

Scott
Old 03-28-2008, 09:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I write songs and play the guitar and clarinet. I love to garden. I am writing a book. I am not very tall I work out with yoga, martial arts, I have curly red/blond hair and blue eyes.

I do many different things for pay and enjoyment of working. I do a lot of different volunteer work. I have 3 two year college certificates, 2 different professional Licensures. I do art restorations when they are really interesting. I think I want to be a doctor that writes special songs of healing when I grow up.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm 5'6", and actually look a lot like my avatar- minus the mole.

I am a secretary/ clinic aide at a school for at risk teens. I love my job.

I am married with teens of my own
My daughter, the only girl, 14 year old 5'9" basketball, volley ball player
My son 15 year old, my brainiac. His nic name is "lil man tate"
My 16 year old big hunky football player outgrew his dad a long time ago at 6'4'.
My 17 year old son, graduating this year and heading to engineering school.
My 21 year old son who is expecting a son in July. Im way to young to be a grandma lol.

We have a beagle and a long hair doxy, they have no idea they are dogs, they think they are one of the kids.

I love to hike, workout when I can, read, spend time with my family and golf.

That is a bit about me.

Last edited by Toomutch; 03-28-2008 at 09:49 AM. Reason: sp
Old 03-28-2008, 09:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
I

For work I'm VP-Operations for a custom plumbing fixture showroom. I've been in the plumbing industry for almost 24 years. Got tired of being a plumber but I enjoy selling the products.

Scott
A plumber? Of course you know the 3 things a plumber has to know?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
A plumber? Of course you know the 3 things a plumber has to know?
Hot on the left, cold on the right, sh_t flows downhill, Friday is payday. Did I get that right John?
Old 03-28-2008, 12:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks FD for the chance to introduce myself.

34, married, 5'9" with curly (think perm ala late 80's, I know I know big mistake at the salon) brown hair.

I work for the state in the water quality division and love my job. I spend time out monitoring the waters in Idaho (translation: I play in the water all summer) and then have to come home in the winter and write policy and guidance (yuk) to protect those water (yeah!)

For fun I love to play. at pretty much anything, biking, tennis, volleyball, bowling, running, backpacking, rafting, hiking, walking, wii.....:bounce

I also enjoy reading and tend to fly through whatever book is in front of me. I quilt in the winter and play with my two cats and one dog: piccasso underfoot (aka booger), kizmet (butt), and andy (stinky)

I won't watch horror movies and prefer comedies to dramas. Used to be a big fan of criminal shows (law & order and CSI) but now prefer CBS monday nights (two and a half men and how I met your mother).

I'm grateful to all of you at SR for the words of wisdom, thoughts and experiences that you share. I'm coming out of a dark time and looking forward into the light, enjoying this chance to grow and become the person I want to be. Although the event that brought me here wasn't the greatest, I'd be wrong to say it wasn't something that I needed in a way. I've grown so much and learned a lot about myself in this process.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
hbb
Live, Laugh, Love

This is a fun day!

Ok, lets see...I'm 33, 5'3-1/2", dark brown hair and blue eyes. I got my nose pierced and a small tattoo on my foot about a year and a half ago!

I've been working at my current job 9 years and it's going well right now.

My brother is my roommate of 3 years and can't believe we've survived together this long!

I love to travel. I've been to England twice, Eastern Caribbean cruise, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic and i vacation on Martha's Vineyard every Summer with my family. My brother bought a camper so a bunch of us are planning on camping more this Summer.

I go to the gym 4-5 times a week. I take spin class 4 nights a week. I've lost 70 lbs. over the past several years so that's been great! And since the summer i'm back down again from where i gained that "happy relationship" weight!! I haven't had a cigarette in almost 4 years after smoking for 12 years.

I drive a Jeep Wrangler and never put the hard top on so now i'm all set for the warm weather!!! Oh and the best part, only 10 more payments...YIPPIIIEEE!!!!

I'm finally adjusting to the single life and have a date next week with what seems to be a really nice guy we'll see!!!

I have a great group of friends and have started my own softball team with my best friend. We need help but we will definitely have fun that's for sure!

I have a parrot Charlie and a cockatiel Molly and I love them to death and they also drive me crazy but theres nothing that makes me smile more than walking into the living room and Charlie saying "Sup" and he's a very small conure parrot to boot!! My brother always walks in saying what's up to us and now it's his favorite word!!!!

Well you guys are so interesting! This has been a great day! Thank you all

Old 03-28-2008, 01:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hiya--this is kinda like when you meet a radio DJ in person- you're familiar w/ their voice and then you see them and its kind of shocking!!

I'm also 5'10' (no wonder I see eye to eye with your posts Anvilhead!!!) Have recently stopped coloring my hair and have shocks of WHITE - but I'm only 41!! Yikes.

As Bette Davis said "Aging isn't for sissies!"

Happily divorced with 2 teenage sons.

Recently returned to Nursing School in my hometown of Boston which is kicking my butt but I gotta finish this for cripes sake. Was blessed and lucky to travel all over the world when I was in my twenties but I never finished college. Lived and worked in NYC and LA for years as an actress/theater director but have given it all up this year - That chapter: done. Movin'on ....

Have a sweet supportive boyfriend (yes it is a silly word at my age but I'm not getting married again I don't think).

I'm an avid runner and hope to one day run AND WIN (tee hee) the Boston Marathon. Did I mention I'm delusional?

Generally subscribe to the LIFE IS LONG theory...lotta people say oh life is too short to waste time- I'm like- life is too long to stay a minute longer than necessary if something is unbearable.

If life was short maybe I could bear it better but I am an IMPATIENT person (my worst and best quality) and can't stand wasting time because if something goes on tooooo long my knees start to hurt!! (yeah I'm a leg shaker) I mean, life is the longest thing you're gonna do, and it seems to have many chapters and many possibilities...

Being back in school has brought me into this SR world since I can't find time to go to meetings right now when I'm struggling.

I am so grateful to all the very wise people who show up here and with the power of words can ease burdens and soothe anxiety. THANX Y'ALL!!
Peace,
B.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Anvil - is that your porch/deck? It looks like heaven!!! what a great place to hang out!
Old 03-28-2008, 02:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

WOW, so nice to get to know the personalities behind the posts.

Me: 41, barely 5'5" but usually 5'7" because I am always in heals either with jeans or a suit. Redish brown hair, sometimes waivy but mostly straight. I have to have a manicure every week but don't wear my nails long. I'm 120lbs with hazel eyes.

I'm at home in a pair of jeans and a turtleneck but won't hesitate to jump into a floor length gown for a gala. I love good quality clothes and I especial love shoes! I am not crazy about going through racks and racks of clothes while shopping it just frustrates me.

I am the married mother of three beautiful girls 13, 10 & 7. I spent the first 11 years of motherhood at home being a psychotic nursing mom and making my own baby food while running a personalized candy bar biz that I started on a whim. I didn't know the first thing about graphic arts software when I started but bought tons of it and then had to figure out how to use it quickly because I had orders to fill! I didn't even occur to me that people take 2 and 3 yr courses to figure that stuff out!

I went back to work as Director of Business Development in transportation/mail industry about 3 years ago and I love every miniute of it. Our company delivers marketing material and investment research to financial advisors and legal publications to lawyers. My clients are all the banks and mutual fund companies as well as legal publishers. My employer is very family friendly so my kids are here right now doing homework in the boardroom.

I have lived most of my life in suburban Toronto and had the wonderful opportunity to live in Montreal for 3 yrs. What a great place to live! We have a Westie named Oliver who squats like a female. We should have called him Sybil because of his many personalities. It's kinda like having serveral dogs, cats and birds all rolled into one.

I used to love to cook everything from scratch- bread, pasta, sauces, pizza dough, deserts now I have little desire or time to do so. I do LOVE food, all kinds from exotic to basic junk. I love to eat with my hands whenever appropriate cuz I love to lick my fingers. Restaurants - I love them.

I have lots of friends. I am very comfortable speaking with new people and making new friends. I enjoy reading except I have little time for it. I love to watch Prison Break and Damages. I recently went to the Bon Jovi concert - He is sooo beautiful!! I love all kinds of music and love to dance. I hate it when people as me what my favorite colour or song is because they are all so beautiful how could anyone pick??

I love SR, it has been are real source of comfort for me. Thank you to all.

So nice to get to know everyone!
Old 03-28-2008, 02:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

anvil--We live sorta close to one another (well not super close, but you get the idea)
Old 03-28-2008, 02:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

Yes!
Old 03-28-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

This is fun. I'm 54, 5'8", and I do media relations for a zoo! It's absolutely as much fun as it sounds. Yesterday I shook hands with a walrus.

I have a giant poodle and a tiny rescue cat at home.

Art is more than a hobby for me. I think painting has saved my life. I'm also a big fan of yoga, have been doing it since college (back when it was cool before it became cool again lately).

I have two sweet grown kids. I'm at a fork in the road in my life, which has been just total chaos for years. Looking forward to some stability.

I'm full of gratitude for the folks here. Pleased to participate in some small way.