All About Me

Old 03-28-2008, 03:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Okay, I'll play. (Not the 20 questions game, the All About Me game. )

I'm 45, 5'7" with curly/wavy brown hair and brown eyes. I live in a small town in Northern California which was originally founded during the Gold Rush. I bought a house two years ago after kicking my AH out. It was built in 1924 and is very art deco. I am enjoying transforming it into my sanctuary.

I have two children, a 15 yo daughter, and 11yo son. I enjoy spending time with them and sharing activities like skiing, bike riding, hiking, camping, and traveling.

I met a sweet guy (boyfriend sounds weird to me, too, LOL) almost a year ago, and also enjoy many of the same activities with him. He is very sensitive to my relationship with my kids and gives me plenty of space to be with them. We have a wonderful time whenever we are together, yet we both have our own lives. So far, I couldn't ask for a better match for me at this point in my life.

I have been at the same job for over 10 years now, and am feeling somewhat of an itch to re-invent myself in this area of my life, too. Right now, I am working on my attitude and perspective to try and make the best of what I have until I can decide what I want to be when I grow up.

Recovery for me has transformed over the past few years into something more like "discovery." My family thinks I've turned into one of those "California new-age whackos," but that's okay because now I see how totally dysfunctional they are and why I ended up being such a mess, LOL.

We had 3 dogs, but AH got custody of them. That's okay for me, for now, because I can travel on a whim without finding a sitter. (Don't worry, he's sober, now) Also, he lives on 2 acres and I live in town, so they are happier with him. And I still get to visit them whenever I drop off the kids.

L
Old 03-28-2008, 03:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hey Rosie, is that your painting? I love it!
Old 03-28-2008, 03:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am 39 and I have a pounding headache right now. Actually I’ve had one for the last two days. I love to wear high heel shoes – mostly because they keep my jeans from dragging in the mud. I am 5’5 so I’m pretty average height and I just can’t understand why they make jeans so long! I think it’s a conspiracy.

I’m a single mom of a very energetic 2 ½ year old. I haven’t slept through the night since before he was born. Sometimes I wish I could just take a nap.

I’m taking my little boy to Ireland this summer to meet all his aunts uncles and cousins and I can’t wait. I just bought a portable DVD player so he can watch all the Scooby doo he wants on the plane.

I’m desperate to lose 20lbs before my trip. But I can’t seem to stick to a diet past noon. I’d like to work out, but really that’s a lie. I’ve always hated working out. I just had more time to do it before I became a mom.

I have a degree in sociology but I work in marketing at a large architecture firm. I’m looking for a new job. This place give me a headache. I have my resume out all over town and hope to hear back on something soon. I wish I could just stay home with my son. At least part time anyway. But that’s not an option for me so I grin and bear it.

I own a condo in an “up and coming” neighborhood in the city. (Read ghetto.) It needs a lot of work. There is a guy that I was dating who used to come over and help me with projects. Now he really drives me crazy, but I still let him come over to help with projects… I’m hardly a Susie Homemaker and I have a hard time keeping up on the dishes. I need to dump him soon. After he finishes hanging my curtains.

Oh... And I've been to Anvils house :-) and met her dog.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you all! I'm 27, and I'm an oncology nurse who's studying to become a nurse practitioner. I'm not naturally athletic, but I've run 5 marathons (which takes particular patience when you're as slow as I am!) and I love being active: hiking, walking, salsa dancing, etc. I also enjoy writing, and reading, although lately I've only been reading research articles for school. Sadly, no time for yummy novels, although I did squeeze a few in over Spring Break.

I've played the harp since I was ten years old, and I did minor in Music in college. I have a large concert grand with pedals as well as a small red lap harp

Thanks for the opportunity to share some personal details. I enjoy reading about all of you.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Anvil: You're killing me with the pics!!! I want to sit on your deck and just veg out!
Old 03-28-2008, 05:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yeah, Sailor, that's one I did!
Old 03-28-2008, 05:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I forgot to mention that I am athletically challenged but continue to pour money into tennis lessons and still am not good enough to play in the house league and it's been three years!!!

I am a Gemini & first generation Cdn born of Italian parents
Old 03-28-2008, 05:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey, why not?

I'm 46 (gasp!) and 5'7", brown/brown, kind of an athletic type with a little too much up front, if you get my drift (I'm an expert at sports bras....) I was an adult-onset athlete after suffering from some stress-related health crises about ten years ago; my doctor basically said, "get active or get your affairs in order" and I figured he knew what he was talking about So I walk, hike, bike, snowshoe, play racquetball, kick the soccer ball, roll around the floor with my two great dogs, do tai chi, or whatever sounds interesting in this month's rec center catalog.

When I'm not moving around in sweats, I'm usually reading or writing or studying. I never had the chance to go to college when I was younger (though, codependent me, I found a way to put someone ELSE through college....go figure) and so two years ago I went back to school to work on a bachelor's in english/creative writing.

When no homework threatens, I love reading sassy self-helpish things like Martha Beck and Barbara Sher and Sark, watching basketball on TV (go nuggets), going to soccer games (go rapids), movies, music, plays, etc. when money's not too tight. I also work in the local library, grow flowers and vegetables for the elk to eat, fix up my tiny mountain house, play music with the impromptu band made up of friends & husband (background vocals and wine glass percussion), and generally wonder at having survived long enough to stand here and feel stupidly happy to be alive. There MUST be a reason....

And I'm self-employed, which sucks up any and all extra time, but allows me to go see "Juno" while my answering message says I'm in meetings all afternoon.

My big outlandish goal right now is to travel to Tuscany for a month for a language immersion course. Puttin' those pennies in the piggybank!!

Good to meetcha everybody
Old 03-28-2008, 05:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I am 36 years old. I have medium length brown hair with blue-green eyes. I am 5'5". I live in Queen Anne in Seattle. I work for a major cruiseline. I love travel--Europe and Caribbean are my favorite places to talk about. My favorite places to go are Iceland, Ireland, and France.

I got married at the Century Ballroom on 03/03/07. The picture that I have posted is my husband and I on our wedding day.

:praying I am really thankful for God being in my life. I have been going to Mars Hill in the Seattle area.

I have a lot of beautiful dreams. I would like for marriage to work out, but this is in God's hands. And it is going to take my husband staying sober and to get a job for this to work out. I would love to have a family in the future. It is not easy to get pregnant, but I am praying to God about it. And I would like to travel more--Venice, Santorini--a fabulous Mediterranean cruise.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:46 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

Wow, so thrilled to learn that we have many artists in our group. Have any of you ever visited IllustrationFriday.com? It's a popular site where artists of every kind post their work every Friday. It gives artists great exposure and I've learned how to appreciate lots of different kind of artwork. I've recently taken a real interest in children's illustration, watercolor, and collage.

Every Friday IllustrationFriday posts a new one- or two-word topic and participants submit illustrations based on the weekly topic. There's a category for everyone. Even non-artists will enjoy this site.

Another favorite site of mine is WetCanvas.com. Artists post their work on the various forums (all types of artwork is accepted), and other artists drop by and critique their work. It's a great way to improve your work and meet people who share similar interests.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my favorite places in case anybody else is interested in checking them out.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

denny57--Wow that is what I'd like to do after college is open up a high end boutique! How fun for you!!
Old 03-28-2008, 06:17 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

this is a fun exercise; and strange-- strange because i realize how little i know about myself, how negative i am, how hesitant-- i over think-- what to share? why do only negative things come to mind? this is a good reminder to focus on myself. so.. i like to draw; i like to be with my friends. i l like to be with my family. i like playing music. i am average height, middle aged, and i don't mind that-- i am silly, generally happy, believe it or not- i tend to worry and fret a lot. i love to eat and day dream and read books. and i am grateful for this board.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

Lets see...I am 5'5, blonde hair, green eyes, it's naturally wavy but I always straighten it. Orginally from Southern CA. and LOVE the beach!! I miss it very much.

I love love love shopping and love all the high end designers ie-Dolce and Gabbana, Dior, Juicy Coutoure, Chanel. Although I can't afford them. The knock offs with have to do for now.

I love to travel although haven't been to too many places yet; one of my goals though is to travel all through Europe.

I have my bachelors in Poli Sci and have previously worked as a paralegal for 4 years. My idea was to go onto law school but decided against it after working in a law office. Currently am working on my MBA, and someday hope to open up a small business either a cute little women's boutique, or a doggy boutique, with an on site bakery and a bus that takes the dogs hiking on Saturday.

I am very passionate about animal welfare and rescuing. I have fostered homeless dogs and like to educate people in responsible pet ownership.

I love chocolate, lattes and mochas. I guess those would be two of my "addictions" per se. I live the beach, and the feel of sand between my toes.

My son is the love of my life and I would have to say he is the best thing that has ever happened to me.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I _love_ recovery. I love going to meetings and chatting with my friends and meeting new people that grow into friends. If I didn't have to work for a living I'd be in meetings all day long. I go to AA, and al-anon cuz I belong, visit NA and OA cuz I have friends there, and would do other programs if they had 'em around here.

Spent 25 yrs in L.A. doing all sorts of things. Ended up with a small production company, but the lousy economy put an end to that. Now I'm a photographer working in Las Vegas and loving every minute of it. Gotta bunch of pictures hanging all over my condo, and a pile of gifts in a corner I've received from my friends in ACoA. Have all sorts of plans for the condo, just waiting for the money. I used to flip houses, a lifetime ago, and I see a house as just another toy to fix up.

Dating a charming young lady who's as deep into recovery as I am, and is also a world class marathon runner. Learning about dating and relationships all over again. * lol * We love to go out in the wilds; Zion, Moab, Colorado, anywhere we can be closer to our higher power.

My life wasn't always this good. Just three years ago I went thru the darkest times ever. I came dragging into this forum and into alanon and things have been getting better ever since. I've been accused of being relentlessy optimistic, and of being the luckiest man in the world... and I guess I am. I've got _you_ guys for friends, can't be any luckier than that.

Oh yeah, I did go to school. A _long_ time ago when I was a young-un. Got a degree in psych, then spent some time as a "professional student" in various masters programs. I always quit right before I got the degree, maybe some day I'll finish them up. Let's see; music, math, computer science, accounting, MBA. Never did study Fine Arts, maybe I'll go get a degree in that * lol *

I do have some problems in life. My health is absolutely terrible, my insides are a mess and I've been thrown in the ICU seven times in the last three years. That's made a mess of my finances too. The good news is I don't have to plan for retirement. * lol * Oh yeah and I hang out with a support group from the Heart Association too, as if I didn't have enough meetings to go to !!!!

What else? I buy and sell antique cameras on eBay, the nice ones I keep * lol * I hate doing Yoga, but I do it cuz my docs told me to. I'd rather go hiking, but I'm too sick to do much of that now. I can spend hours just watching the frogs in the yard outside my condo, or sitting on top of a dune in Death Valley, watching the sun go down.

All things considered, I've got the best life I could ever dream of. And it's all thanks to these wonderful programs of recovery, and to people like you guys who show up every day to reach out and help people in pain. You guys inspire me.

Mike
Old 03-28-2008, 07:56 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Long!!!

Okay, I get it. Have always felt a little insecure about my life, I am a chronic underachiever, here goes.

I'm 51 1/2, my sobriety date was my 50th birthday.

5'7 1/2" I like those 1/2's, yes, the glass is half full. 167 lbs., lean but no longer mean. I used to be considerably heavier, the stress of this last relationship, entered into when I was still married I confess, caused me to lose a little weight. I don't recommend this as a weight loss tactic.

I have three younger sisters, none of whom are in the program, none of whom have drinking problems to the best of my knowledge, and 2 nieces, 2 nephews. I have an older brother, a chronic alcoholic, it pains me to remember how close we were when we were kids, inseparable. We drifted apart when we reached puberty, he's never met my son, who is now 17 1/2, or either of my two wives, and he lives about 1/2 hour away.

My Mom is bipolar and alcoholic, my Dad has been in the program since the mid-70's, we are probably as close now as we've ever been, and he's been supportive/kicking my ass about this divorce and toxic relationship I've been in.

I've only been clean/sober in the program for less that 500 days, but I was clean/sober for a ridiculously long time dating from 1987-2001. While this may have saved my body from the ravages of the disease it did absolutely nothing for my mental hygiene and again, I don't recommend it.

I feel like my life is at a crossroads now, I have 30 years in at my job and my employers want me to go, they've been waving money in my face over the last couple of years.

And I do love to sail.

racko8's photos and albums on webshots
Old 03-28-2008, 09:18 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Glad I showed up when I did

Picked a good week to find this place, 39 3/4 (holding out as long as I can), gave up fighting Mother Nature last year and shaved my head, beats gray I guess. Married to a wonderful woman, who I just met again a few months ago, a matched set of kids, girl 10 and boy 9.

Grew up here in NY, spent my 20's living a small town in Northern Maine (stationed there in the AF, then stayed for a while after), most beautiful place to live, summer was great, both weeks of it. Then poverty set in and had to move back home, thats where the wife and kids showed up. I was just planning to be here for a year, that was 13 years ago, so much for that plan.

I've had a hard time deciding what I want to do when I grow up. turning 40 this year, maybe I'll figure it out. Never went to collage, spent those years in the Air Force. I got to travel a lot, 14 states and 2 different month long trips to England. Then spent about 10 years learning to cook, started as a fry cook at a bar ended as a catering chef at 4 diamond restaurant, love to cook for crowds. Oh yeah, spent 2 of those years running a carnival food stand, now that was fun. And, yes I do have all my own teeth, and no tattoos, but did travel with the show.

Then came the wife and kids, had to find a "career", ran a small landscape maintenance business so I could be around to be with my kids. But then age and weight started catching up, found a desk job that I hate, warranty administrator for a home builder. I've at this for 3 years now I absolutely hate working inside all day.

My current passion is golf, I'm no Tiger but love to play. Also, enjoy spending time in the woods, camping, fishing, low impact sports. I picked up a book recently for the first time in nearly 20 years and I can't seem to put it down, "Courage to Change"

Thats me I guess in under 1 page. By the way, I type w/ 1 finger and not well, so my apologies now for the future.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:00 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Well I am 44, 4'10" (no that's not a typo) I was obese through my thirties but got tired of that and lost 95 lbs on Atkins (I have slipped and need to lose 20 I gained back). I live in the Metro Detroit area (it snowed yesterday, yikes!). I'm an IT manager at a law firm and am what you would call mechanically inclined (I can fix a faucet, change door locks, fix a satellite dish, paint, change light fixtures etc.). I used to sew, do cross stitch, knit and crochet too but don't have much time these days. I am not what you would call artsy but I am creative and tend to have expensive hobbies (keeping salt water fish, stained glass etc). My latest project is refacing my bathroom cabinets (they are not old but I hate the finish and color). Most of my family are nearby except my grandmother who lives in fla. My Myers-Briggs personality type indicator is INTJ (Mastermind Scientist).
Old 03-29-2008, 06:20 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Great thread, I already had 'mental pictures' of some of you, but I've just realised I'm not good at that as I was nowhere near.

I'm 41 years old, 5'11'' (I think I beat you all in the height stakes up to now) the rest of me is pretty much in proportion and I'm happy in my skin. Brown hair, brown eyes.

Single mum to two boys 12 and 13 and still friends with their dad after 7 years divorced.

No pets at the moment because I work odd shifts and I'm sometimes away from home overnight. I work with people with learning disabilities and mental illnesses, I only took the job until something better came along, I've been there ten years this month. I really enjoy it and I get a lot and have learned a lot from the people I work with.

I don't really have time to fit in the hobbies I used to do anymore, I used to coach girls rugby and under 11 boys rugby, but my job doesn't let me commit to regular times now. Instead i run and swim whenever I can, walk quite a lot with my boys and play soccer in the park when they let me (or when they're a goal keeper short)

At the moment I'm redecorating the whole upstairs of my house, which I'm quite enjoying.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:44 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I'll join the fun. I am 46; about 5'7" brown hair and brown eyes -- I've been told I have a great smile so I am trying to use it more often! I have two kids -- daughter age 13 and son age 19. They are like night and day, my son is tall and blonde; daughter is my "mini-me" (she hates it when I say that).

I am rediscovering myself in a beautiful old house that I moved into last month. We live in a small (pop. 500) but thriving town in the rural midwest. The house is very similar to my childhood home, I grew up on a farm, so I feel like I really belong here. It is, however, a bit of a commute to my job so I'm not really enjoying the gas prices these days.

My job as finance director at a local non-profit organization is interesting and challenging. I enjoy it very much; but it is a bit stressful and unstable recently. I am grateful that I am able to trust my HP will take care of things on that front.

I enjoy running -- and want to run a half-marathon before the end of the year. I am hopeful that will help me take care of that pesky 10-15 pounds I can't get rid of. I also enjoy gardening, cooking and decorating the house. Lots of opportunity for all of that here. "My world's on fire, how about yours? That's the way I like it and I never get bored!"
Old 03-29-2008, 06:51 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

"So...about me...I'm 5'5, so not tall and not short. I have long, dark, curly hair choice wear jeans on a regular basis, but more professional for work. I also LOVE shoes. I have over 100 pairs. I guess this qualifies as an addiction, but at least I'm not hurting anyone and I never buy them at full price. Oh, I'm also a huge bargain shopper and love finding clothes at the thrift store"
Quoted from NYChick

Snap, I've found my twin.

Even the Cher comment was appropriate as I think of myself as an aging Rock Chick

A few differences though.

I have two wonderfull small people that make me smile all the time.

I love anything to do with food be that shopping, cooking or eating. I am a voracious reader and love music.

I love to travel and have been to a number of African countries where I have indulged in extreme sports.

I work in recruitment which I enjoy except for the silly hours (currently out of the house for 13 hours a day)

Oh and I have two pet rats, a Siamese and a Burmese (and that was rats not cats)

Last edited by Sweetiepie1; 03-29-2008 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Messed up the quote