Notices

7yrs sober, moderate drinking?

Old 09-18-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
mpr

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
If you were like me I doubt they were 1.5oz pours. Your 5 drink may actually be closer to 10 drinks served in a bar. Again, delusions, illusions, obsessions are all lies we tell ourselves.
I can help with that, I would only buy a mickey and drink about 50-70% max of the bottle. While drunk to not tempt myself i'd pour the last couple shots down the drain. I now see I was indeed moderating there, even while intoxicated, interesting...

I think a mickey is 375ml and i'd drink roughly 188-265ml of that.

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
By returning to active drinking? I could understand if you had done tons of work and felt you no longer had an addictive mindset. However, through this work you would never be in this debate. But that would make more sense. What you are doing here is saying I have Asthma and its gotten better but I feel to test my lung capacity I am going to get dropped off on top of Everest to see how it will go without acclimating. Yes, you are going to find out but you may suffer some sever or fatal consequences in the process. The one thing for sure is you will find out for certain.

I think you know this though and that is precisely why you are asking for permission from an anonymous recovery forum to become active again.
No, no. I am not saying returning to active drinking will help me tackle my addictive personality. I was saying I need to tackle my addictive personality, period. I cannot return to drinking until I at least address my addictive personality.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Not clear on the calculation of how 5+ vodka pours a night means you're not a "true alcoholic" but just an "addictive personality". Whatevs, you say tomay-toe, I say tomah-toe.

Its obvious you want someone here to tell you its okay, so I'll bite.

Go for it! Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:18 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  
mpr

Originally Posted by Ionray View Post
Not clear on the calculation of how 5+ vodka pours a night means you're not a "true alcoholic" but just an "addictive personality". Whatevs, you say tomay-toe, I say tomah-toe.

Its obvious you want someone here to tell you its okay, so I'll bite.

Go for it! Let us know how it works out for you.
Please do not be ignorant. Read properly before making a comment...

OK alcoholic can consume 1 drink or 10 drinks. A TRUE alcoholic has a physical addiction. 1 drink will stop the shakes, calm the nerves, more drinks always come...

Problem drinker often drinks too much but can stop if they really want or if they must, they have a choice whereas a true alcoholic has NONE.

Addictive personality means mentally you get addicted to whatever it is you do, drink, gamble, smoke, sex, shop etc... This is a mental problem. If the drink does not enter the body physically you do not react but mentally you do.

Hope this enlightens you.

Let me make this clear, I am NOT looking for anybody to tell me "go for it" I just wanted opinions. I have learned new things since making this thread. Everything is not so one sided, two sides to a coin!
Old 09-18-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry MPR your so wrong cant believe im saying this to someone with 7 years under thier belt

your definations are utterly wrong your blatently alcoholic this is your battle and im trying to be kind

your mind is made up

do what you must

good luck pls consider your showing every sign of alcoholism
Old 09-18-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Oh god. So much denial makes me sad because this is exactly how I sound and the exact same thoughts and excuses that I tell myself before I relapse. Even the little comments like mentioning the "health benefits" of alcohol, being a "problem drinker with an addictive personality" and not an alcoholic.. I say those exact same things to myself before I drink. But deep down I think I always know it's a lie.

It sounds like you're already gone.... I hope you make it back.

Good luck.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Oh, and I don't think a "normal" non alcoholic would ever even consider joining a recovery site, or even need to "quit drinking" for that matter. They wouldn't need to, because they wouldn't have a problem :/
Old 09-18-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  
mpr

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Sorry MPR your so wrong cant believe im saying this to someone with 7 years under thier belt

your definations are utterly wrong

do what you must

good luck
Mind telling me which part is incorrect? If I am wrong(I can be) tell me the correct definitions, I would appreciate that.

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
Oh god. So much denial makes me sad because this is exactly how I sound and the exact same thoughts and excuses that I tell myself before I relapse. Even the little comments like mentioning the "health benefits" of alcohol, being a "problem drinker with an addictive personality" and not an alcoholic.. I say those exact same things to myself before I drink. But deep down I think I always know it's a lie.

It sounds like you're already gone.... I hope you make it back.

Good luck.
No denial. I am not you and you are not me, that is okay.

I feel much of what I have said has been taken out of context, selective reading perhaps. I know there is a lot to read in this thread but maybe you missed some of it or are just fixated on certain parts... I do not know.

Read the Big Book AA, read up on problem drinkers vs. alcoholics, are you guys telling me AA is incorrect as well?

Please do not imply I am gone. I am SEVEN years sober, I take this day by day. Look at yourself before judging me... I am sober today and I will be sober tomorrow I can assure you.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:34 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
mpr

Oh, and I don't think a "normal" non alcoholic would ever even consider joining a recovery site, or even need to "quit drinking" for that matter. They wouldn't need to, because they wouldn't have a problem :/
I did not know what I was when I joined this site. I was unaware I had an addictive personality at that time. Does that mean I did not have a problem with alcohol? Nope certainly not.

Addictive personality or not I have a problem with alcohol. Nobody in denial here.

You are very one sided... Maybe I should take sobriety tips from you and all will be well.

I want input but do not feel like I should have to defend myself. Many people here are great and offer sincere input while not judging and I value those individuals, on the other hand some people are just plain well... I mean share a story, offer insight, be helpful but plain old negativity doesn't help anybody and truly says more about yourself more than anything else.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

"My mistake was thinking I could be a social drinker. I now know that I can never be a social drinker or any type of drinker".

Taken straight from your original thread.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
mpr

"My mistake was thinking I could be a social drinker. I now know that I can never be a social drinker or any type of drinker".

Taken straight from your original thread.
I am well aware of my original thread and have read thru it many, many times including recently.

Want me to elaborate on that quote? At that particular time in my life I believed I could be a social drinker but I never actually attempted to be one which makes no sense.

My addictive personality was driving me unbeknownst to me. I put the blame on the alcohol solely. Alcohol is a problem but there are also other factors at play.

If you problems are solely based on alcohol and absolutely nothing else well thats how it is for you. It is not that way for every single person.

Do you think every alcoholic is the same or are there different degrees, types, variants of alcoholics? What factors drive these actions, mental, physical, genetic, or is there only one?

Ask questions, learn, provide answers. Judging is the easy part.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
quat

Why can't "true" alcoholics stop if they really want to, just like problem drinkers who just happen to drink too much often?
I think physical dependence /addiction is more a function of biological processes caused by bac for prolonged periods , that may negatively effect ones mindset toward stopping and not an actual difference of affliction. Different in degree perhaps , but not kind. You may want to make sure I'm wrong though, right?
Old 09-18-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
mpr

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Why can't "true" alcoholics stop if they really want to, just like problem drinkers who just happen to drink too much often?
I think physical dependence /addiction is more a function of biological processes caused by bac for prolonged periods , that may negatively effect ones mindset toward stopping and not an actual difference of affliction. Different in degree perhaps , but not kind. You may want to make sure I'm wrong though, right?
A problem drinker with a mental addiction wont die when he stops the drink. A true alcoholic can die if he stops abruptly, literally.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Ive been there and tried that...it didnt work for me.

My main two examples-

Was sober for a period, and on leave from work (it happened to be New Years Eve). I stopped at a place near a liquor store, with an extensive beer selection, and figured there would be no harm in buying some fancy/expensive beer to try...surely I was only getting it for quality and flavor, not to get drunk. Seemed like a harmless and reasonable enough idea...full blown relapse that lasted many months.

The last time I had been sober for a while and was feeling really good and confident. Just ended up deciding to "take a night off" since I had been doing so well, I thought it would be perfectly fine. It was also in a social setting (instead of just getting hammered alone at home), so I used that as further justification...that "night off" threw me right back into the obsession and another relapse.

At one point I would have thought that absurd and that maybe those sort of things happen to some other people, but surely not me. I too thought so many of the things Id heard/been told seemed so "one sided". Especially since my dad is a recovered alcoholic (nearly died multiple times), Ive heard plenty of nagging/preaching/whatever from my mother growing up. Well turns out those things did end up applying to me in the end.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:05 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by mpr View Post
A problem drinker with a mental addiction wont die when he stops the drink. A true alcoholic can die if he stops abruptly, literally.
While true it only describes the immediate medical situation and can be mitigated.
The honest question is for the alcoholic post addiction , how likely is it that drinking will again lead to a problem or addiction.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:16 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Big Book, pg 30

MOST OF us have been unwilling to admit we were real alcoholics. No person likes to think he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows. Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been characterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people. The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
mpr

Originally Posted by polaris View Post
Ive been there and tried that...it didnt work for me.

My main two examples-

Was sober for a period, and on leave from work (it happened to be New Years Eve). I stopped at a place near a liquor store, with an extensive beer selection, and figured there would be no harm in buying some fancy/expensive beer to try...surely I was only getting it for quality and flavor, not to get drunk. Seemed like a harmless and reasonable enough idea...full blown relapse that lasted many months.

The last time I had been sober for a while and was feeling really good and confident. Just ended up deciding to "take a night off" since I had been doing so well, I thought it would be perfectly fine. It was also in a social setting (instead of just getting hammered alone at home), so I used that as further justification...that "night off" threw me right back into the obsession and another relapse.

At one point I would have thought that absurd and that maybe those sort of things happen to some other people, but surely not me. I too thought so many of the things Id heard/been told seemed so "one sided". Especially since my dad is a recovered alcoholic (nearly died multiple times), Ive heard plenty of nagging/preaching/whatever from my mother growing up. Well turns out those things did end up applying to me in the end.
It is indeed a slippery slope. Some succeed, majority don't, I know this. One wont find out until they try and that is a risk in itself. Am I willing to try, I do not know. I truly don't contrary to some posters saying I am already goneee lol

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
While true it only describes the immediate medical situation and can be mitigated.
The honest question is for the alcoholic post addiction , how likely is it that drinking will again lead to a problem or addiction.
Yes but the two cases are indeed different regardless. One requires medical supervision to mitigate whereas one does not.

The honest answer is that for majority of people drinking will in fact lead to further problem/addiction. 100% for the true alcoholic as sobriety is the only option. The problem drinker is not safe either but moderation is a option in addition to sobriety. That is taken direct from the big book AA so unless they are wrong i duno.. but what do the know anyways.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Do your best

Mpr your defining yourself as a problem drinker with an addictive personality

im not with AA 14 months sober

your fantasing about alcohol ive read the big book i care little for problem drinker vs alcoholic

moderation vs alcoholic

this isnt even what your suggesting your going a step futher your literally telling yourself your cured when sorry mpr i am really am sorry but pls listen to what ur saying

why did u keep going for 7 years what it just dawned on you i dont mean that rudely

pls mpr wake up forget these ideas it was a problem then it will be a problem now

tired of responding ive read this fully if i was you id wonder why nearly everyone is saying the same thing

your a alcoholic get used to that 7 years and you havnt realisec that ?

mpr pls believe me why else would i and all of us say this unamioiusly to you

mpr i just cant believe your 7 years sober i know you are i see it but dang you need to wake up fast

mpr read living sober im guessing u have read it again

a problem drinker is an alcoholic and a alcoholic is a problem drinker its the same

and your saying your not gone yet selective reading mpr can u not see this for what it is

i want alcohol i want alcohol thats what your saying pls wake up

im in disbelief but wishing you all the luck in the world realising this and getting to year 8

no more from me mpr i wish u well friends reguardless if u want ?
Old 09-18-2014, 09:47 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Do your best

and you didnt post what day 1 sober was like be truly honest
Old 09-18-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
mpr

Mpr your defining yourself as a problem drinker with an addictive personality

im not with AA 14 months sober

your fantasing about alcohol ive read the big book i care little for problem drinker vs alcoholic

moderation vs alcoholic

this isnt even what your suggesting your going a step futher your literally telling yourself your cured when sorry mpr i am really am sorry but pls listen to what ur saying

why did u keep going for 7 years what it just dawned on you i dont mean that rudely

pls mpr wake up forget these ideas it was a problem then it will be a problem now

tired of responding ive read this fully if i was you id wonder why nearly everyone is saying the same thing

your a alcoholic get used to that 7 years and you havnt realisec that ?

mpr pls believe me why else would i and all of us say this unamioiusly to you

mpr i just cant believe your 7 years sober i know you are i see it but dang you need to wake up fast

mpr read living sober im guessing u have read it again

a problem drinker is an alcoholic and a alcoholic is a problem drinker its the same

and your saying your not gone yet selective reading mpr can u not see this for what it is

i want alcohol i want alcohol thats what your saying pls wake up

im in disbelief but wishing you all the luck in the world realising this and getting to year 8

no more from me mpr i wish u well friends reguardless if u want ?
and you didnt post what day 1 sober was like be truly honest
I never once said or implied I was cured, never. I never even said yep guys my mind is made up im having a drink because I am cured, never happened.

All I did was come to a realization that I have an addictive personality and when I stopped alcohol abuse the problem did not die with it. Do I still have an alcohol problem, YEP. Do i still drink, NOPE. Do I have and addictive personality still, YEP. Do I believe I am physically addicted to alcohol, NOPE. That should sum it up.

I can NEVER drink unless I deal with my addictive personality and even then I can still fail, I know all of this.

I am also sure I did post what day 1 sober was like. Hold on let me check because its right here on the forum...

"so here i am it is friday i will not drink today... i will update/post once i pass midnight "

"few hours away from midnight = day 1 sober"

"just did some cardio and feel pretty good"

"approx 3 hours to go!"

"okay i'm here day 1 sober & over!"

does that about sum it up for you, or was I lying back then?

I have to say I don't like the negative vibe from some posters... I know it is a open forum and anyone can say anything but really it is a bit much at times. We are supposed to support one another, sure we disagree on topics, conditions, definitions but there is a thin line.. Just sayin'
Old 09-18-2014, 10:06 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
Do your best

dont understand your explanations at all ive said what ive said im leaving it there

7 years....... dont get this at all

good luck in all you do