Notices

7yrs sober, moderate drinking?

Old 09-24-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  
Administrator

My mother is 93 years old. One doctor wanted to do surgery to repair her hernia.
Another doctor wanted to do surgery to remove 2 hearing aids she swallowed.

I was so troubled by making decisions of whether to do the surgeries or not do the surgeries.

I took her to the Cardiologist and he gave me the best advice to help me make those decisions. He said to always expect the worst case scenario and don't do anything unless its a life or death situation.

Your decision right now reminded me of the Cardiologist.

Make the decision expecting the worst case scenario, not the best.
I've personally seen problem drinking turn into full blown alcoholism very quickly.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:29 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  
Do your best

if you want to drink drink

playing with idea on a sobriety website is well .. youve seen the replies i dont know what to think really didnt want to post but this has gone on long enough

your saying oh i dont know if il drink i might if it goes wrong il just stop

do u even realise how rude this is to people struggling to stay sober u should do cos ur struggling yourself if ur not why u playing with the idea why arent u saying this on another website like mm we all know what happened to the founder shes in aa now

i think this thread should have been closed ages ago

u think there is moderation go for it want to think about it tho without having the drink just thinking it over

like come on mpr

i know one thing @ 14 months i have learnt a lot enough to never think like this

and save your answers i have read it all

somebody shut this thread its such a dead subject
Old 09-24-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Soberwolf - THANK YOU.

About time to wrap this up!

Bunnez
Old 09-24-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

I agree dee should close the thread, its run its course and is in quite poor taste.....some of us only have a week or so and all this talk of moderation is hard to read
Old 09-24-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  
Do your best

This is what i feared for ....other ppl reading this

hope you feel good with your talk of moderation on a sobriety forum not a moderating forum
Old 09-24-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Personally I don't see anything wrong with the thread. He's not talking about doing anything illegal.

Anyway I only read the first page.

My opinion, I'll be blunt, I find it fascinating that the first post by the OP is about just sipping one high end scotch and his second post is that he could have up to 3 in a day given his healthy lifestyle.

I have worked in a bar and had the pleasure of dealing with alcohol distributors. I assure anybody still blowing kisses at "high-end" scotch or whatever, this stuff is all junk, active ingredient all the same, it's a liquid drug that gets you wasted. You will not become sophisticated by drinking it anymore than a freshman at college will become interesting to girls by drinking blueberry vodka. Tastes different, packaging different, marketed different to a different demographic. Still the same.

OP, are you hanging around a lot of people who drink? Are you in bars and clubs a lot? Are you doing stuff that is bound to be boring unless you are drunk?
Old 09-24-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Not illegal .....just 12 pages of moderation on a site full of people striving and struggling for abstinence, feels poor taste to me. All the romantacising of high end scotch and the like....why not go on an obesity site and talk for 12 pages about how you're going to eat a kfc bucket.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

To summarize 13 pages into four bullet points:

1) Based on his experience, the OP believes that he stopped drinking 7 years ago before his drinking reached alcoholic proportions, is "on a different level", not a "true alcoholic" and is considering a return to moderate drinking, came here for input.

2) The vast majority of respondents have shared their experiences that attempts to moderate have been unsuccessful at best, and at worst resulted in a return to abusive drinking equal to or surpassing their original intake, regardless of time spent in abstinence.

3) The OP acknowledges that for most "true alcoholics", complete abstinence is the only option but maintains that this may not apply to him. Despite the overwhelmingly negative responses regarding moderation, the OP remains unconvinced and would like to keep the option open.

4) The OP himself has stated that continuing to post on the topic is "pointless" and others (myself included) tend to agree.

Apologies in advance if I have misstated anything; I'm not very smart.

Beyond being pointless, It is my opinion that continuing this dialogue may actually do a disservice to those who come to these boards seeking real help with maintaining sobriety, because continuing the debate may give false hope of an "easier softer way" to those for whom abstinence is the only real solution. "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one" (looking at you, mpr).

Last I checked, this site is called "soberrecovery", not "moderaterecovery".

FWIW, based on my own experience, I do not recommend moderate drinking to anyone with a history of addiction or abusive drinking ("true alcoholic" or not). But in this case I think the points have been made, the requested input has been given and the only way for the OP to know for sure is to try it. He doesn't need advice or permission from me or anyone else, but it seems that's the only way he'll know for sure.

I share the concern of others and just hope that no one gets hurt.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  
Administrator

Personally I don't think this thread is harmful at all.

I actually think this thread is overall one of the best arguments against moderation I've ever read.

More than that although the OP may not agree with me I think it's one of the best illustrations of the persistence and the insidiousness of the AV I've seen on SR.

But...I appear to be in the minority

They've been many reports....so we'll leave it there.

Best wishes to you mpr on whatever you decide.

Thread Closed.

Dee
SR