Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 20

Old 10-13-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Thanks, Leigh! I hope you're day is treating you well, too.

Tonight's trip to the park is begging for a picnic. My brother does the whole no/low carb thing, my guy isn't picky, and Jr. needs the carbs, soooo....PB&J, lotsa crunchy veggies, string cheese (NOT fat free lol), cashews, and waters on ice all packed up. It should be a nice evening, even though we hit a record high of 94 today. At least the humidity has dropped. It's our version of fall on the gulf coast, flip-flops and tank tops.

How's everyone else tonight? Reminding myself of HALT has really helped the last couple of weeks. Every craving has been smashed with either a quick nap, a huge glass of water, or a snack. It's such a powerful strategy, just needed to remind myself.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Have fun Conquest. Lower humidity goes with fall here too....even if it is in the middle 80s still has that fall feel.
And you'r right, when I have a day that I struggle a bit hunger is often the culprit.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 283 (permalink)  

I love HALT Conquest. Probably the single best tool out there although the tired part is sometimes difficult to alleviate on my end. Enjoy the picnic. It gets darker here earlier everyday now.

Pork chops, yellow wax beans, and multicolored quinoa tonight folks. Fancy!
Old 10-13-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Gotta google wax beans....another new thing.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
Yellow green beans - yummy.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

My grandmother always called them that...more a summer thing around here at local farms.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey guys - good to see so many folks do so well

Hoping you're doing ok too Venus

D
Old 10-13-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Conquest View Post

How's everyone else tonight? Reminding myself of HALT has really helped the last couple of weeks. Every craving has been smashed with either a quick nap, a huge glass of water, or a snack. It's such a powerful strategy, just needed to remind myself.
I hadn't heard of HALT until I came to SR. My drinking always began around 7:00 p.m. and I was always hungry and tired - not really angry but definitely usually stressed.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  

I never knew about the yellow version of green beans. I like a colorful plate. I had plain green beans from a can and a piece of fish that tasted like the freezer.

Thanks for checking in on us Dee. Means a lot to me.

To me the 'A' in halt can mean angry, but usually it's more for anxious.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

My Mom always got excited when she found yellow beans in the grocery store; she used to fix them with pieces of bacon.

I try to stay away from bacon (although I love it); If I have one piece of bacon a year, that's a lot.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Maybe it's more a northern thing, yellow wax beans? I always thought the skins were more tender and mild in flavor vs green. Just reminds me of summer.

Thinking of V. Hope her procedure went well.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arbor View Post
Maybe it's more a northern thing, yellow wax beans? I always thought the skins were more tender and mild in flavor vs green. Just reminds me of summer.

Thinking of V. Hope her procedure went well.
Was today V's procedure? I've been worrying about her.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:58 PM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
If I have one piece of bacon a year, that's a lot.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
One of the saddest things I've ever read!
Old 10-13-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Was today V's procedure? I've been worrying about her.
Not sure when it was exactly. Just know she brought it up last week.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
One of the saddest things I've ever read!
I know!!!!!!! Heartbreaking. I've lowered and kept my cholesterol down so far through diet, etc. so abstinence has its benefits.

Statins don't agree with me.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Mmm wax beans sautéed in bacon fat...

Regular green beans tonight, plus carrots, snap peas, and chicken sautéed in a little coconut oil and a splash of teriyaki sauce over brown rice. Nothing fancy, but it will do.

Phoebe - how are you liking the 21 day fix?

I hope V is doing ok.

I've found HALT very helpful too. It's usually hungry or anxious for me. Thirsty too. I've had some insane cravings where I pounded a bunch of juice straight from the jug, and then I was fine.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Might not be fancy, Briar, but it sounds delicious.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

I hope her procedure and recovery are quick. Thinking of you always, Sweet Venus!

And I replaced the "angry" in HALT with "anxious", as Mark mentioned. Also... "Tired" for me isn't just physical. Most times, it's social/emotional exhaustion that gets me feeling drained and craving a boost. I'm learning that I need my down time.

The evening was awesome. After nearly 2 hours of shooting hoops, my picnic got pushed aside. Even with the drier air, it's still pretty sticky out there and no one was ready for food. The water was a hit though!

Keep swinging, everyone!
Old 10-13-2015, 08:35 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

HALT applies here too. I preferred to begin drinking when all hit at once, kids were younger, been alone with them all day, husband working or traveling for work, so would start as I made dinner. I was hungry and thirsty too. Long, busy day of any kind triggers me. Tea helps that, and sometimes a sweet drink, like Arnold Palmer Zero.

Met two friends for dinner. None of us drank alcohol. We had Chinese food, and had the tea and water. We also are pretty modestly. Three of us shared 2 dishes and had brown rice. I also took a quick lap around the block at 10 pm after I said goodnight to the kids. I think the tea has me too perky right now. I should go to bed but feel very alert.

Briar, the 21 day fix is okay. I think it is good for portion control and forcing ratios of protein, veggies, carbs, fats, fruits, etc... However, I think I may do better just not counting calories or portions and doing low carb, low sugar, avoiding wheat/grains. Still evaluating it because I have not been 100%. There was dinner out last week, then the relapse. HALT MUCH?? Also, my back got twitchy last week and I have not done the videos for about a week. They are very challenging for me, but with modifications, I felt stronger and more capable after just one week. Back seems better enough to get back to those tomorrow.

Thinking about V here too.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Going to hit the gym after work then a few miles in the park with my walking group. Still super busy at work, but the day flies by.

What are all the kids being for Halloween? Do they still do Halloween parades in school?

Cyberhugs to Venus!