Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 20

Old 10-01-2015, 10:54 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

My wedding was in my sister in laws backyard, we had 25 guests - family and inner circle friends only. It was catered and nice, but small and casual. I still managed to fret over it a great deal. I was young and insecure and very preoccupied with doing everything "right." Looking back I wish I had just relaxed and enjoyed it a bit more. I could write a whole book of things I wish I could go back in time and tell my younger self. One would be "Ten years from now you'll be embarrassed by how seriously you tried to look perfect in front of a bunch of people who have probably heard you fart. You're not fooling anyone, so calm the hell down and have a good time."
Old 10-02-2015, 02:31 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Good heavens Briar, you almost made me spew out my coffee! It's nice to laugh before dawn. Relaxing and enjoying is easier said than done for me....wound a bit tight I guess, but I'm hoping to loosen up a bit !

Wishing each of you the best day. Gym time.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:48 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

LOL Briar. Conquest, it will be wonderful I am sure.

My DD turns 20 today. So hard to believe. It's weird not having her around for her birthday. I sent gifts and I 'll call and text, but strange all the same.

Caught some more new shows I had recorded last night-including "Blood and Oil." Have not seen Don Johnson in years! I liked it.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Briar, that's hilarious! And so very true!!!

Happy Friday, everyone! I gotta run. Then it's an evening to myself. I haven't had one of those in a long time. Maybe I can get caught up on some of the new shows, too. I'm excited to see some episodes of the Big Bang Theory that I've got saved up. My couch and SR will make for an excellent evening too.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I watched Gray's Anatomy and Scandal last night and fell asleep on the chair! I had such a busy day and walked a lot. Around Walden Pond, near where I live, and later with the dog while daughter was at soccer. I brought him to the field and walked around for an hour or so. Also did an exercise video, but that was laughable. I am so inflexible, with especially tight hamstrings. I could not even sit right to do half of the Pilates stuff. So, I just bagged it and did my own stretches and exercises during most of it. But all the exercise had me tired. I then slept like a log all night.

Friday! I don't even work out of the home, but Friday is a good thing after a very busy week of driving the kids around and doing some volunteer work at school.

Just hearing the latest Hurricane news. 5-15 inches of rain in the Southeast?? Wowza. Stay safe folks! Are you expected to be affected, Mark? Still not sure about how it will impact us here in the Northeast, which is why I have the TV on. Typically I do not turn it on at all until evening.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Weddings. Gosh, it has been so long since we have had a wedding to attend. Oh wait, we had a niece get married last year! Hers was a nice reception done in her parents'(husband's brother) yard. He did a great job smoking meats, and put up a tent, laid down a dance floor. It was very nice.

Yours sounds right up my ally, Conquest. Small and intimate. We went big, more for my husband! I was the one who wanted to do a tiny destination wedding. But it was beautiful, and I am glad we did it the way we did in the end. It was a church wedding, followed by an afternoon reception at a local country club, and the day was beautiful. Nice outdoor pictures.

I wish you all the best, Conquest, and agree with trying to not stress too much over it all!
Old 10-02-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Ahhhh....the stress and nervousness are all part of it. Try to enjoy the anticipation of it all. Easier said than done, I know!

Rainy, cool day here. Glad to have the rain. We need lots of it to make up for the drought.

Not much into TV as of late. Wife and I hit the sack about 8:30-9 cause of the baby.

Happy Friday!
Old 10-02-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Looks as though that'll be a bit east of me phoebe, so no local worries. We could use a little of that rain though.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hello everyone!

Day 14
Old 10-02-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Hi, Popeye. Great job on 14 days. How are you feeling?
Old 10-02-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I'm doing Ok SoberLeigh,

I've been on Facebook, Internet and SR about 14 hours a day. I'm keeping my mind busy!

No urges yet...
Old 10-02-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

14 days is great Popeye. Keep it up a day at a time...
Old 10-02-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Popeye
Happy birthday to DD BD

have a great weekend guys

D
Old 10-02-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Happy 20th birthday to your daughter BD!.......It's great that you report she is enjoying college. My son (turned 20 in May) still doesn't know what he wants his major to be. The most concrete thing he's ever said is 'nothing medical'. I hope you were able to talk or FaceTime or something to make it a little easier being away from her today.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Popeye - two weeks! That's huge! Hang in there, and keep posting, you're doing great. Are you going to any meetings? I haven't stayed with AA and LifeRing, but spending time in the meetings and reading the material definitely helped keep me straight during the first few months.

I'm so glad it's Friday. It has been one of those weeks where nothing seems to go smoothly.

Speaking of which, I performed a pretty killer mega fail today that gave my coworkers something to laugh about. I was called to the front desk to speak with a person named Claudia. I went out there, and two people were sitting in the lobby: a woman and what appeared to be a man. I looked at the woman and said "Claudia?" She stared blankly at me, so again I said "Claudia?" Nothing. Then the "man" stood up and said "I'm Claudia." She wasn't a man. Oops!!!

My assistant was standing behind me and had to fake a cough to cover her laugh. She is never going to let me live it down. Fortunately, I enjoy laughing at myself as much as she enjoys laughing at me.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Great news, Popeye! I think I've posted them before, but I love these two websites when my brain needs a break:
boredpanda.com
Thisiswhyimbroke.com

Well... I think I've nailed a reception spot. One of our favorite locally-owned Italian restaurants has a party room that I didn't know about until a friend mentioned it today. So I called this morning and the manager couldn't have been nicer, offering to meet with me this afternoon. The room is plain now, but it'll be decorated in December with a large Christmas tree and wreaths. They even have table decorations and chair covers available. All I'll need to do is setup a table for the cake and one for guest favors. My anxiety level has dropped significantly because details just aren't my thing. Tonight, I'm finally relaxing at home, stuffed with chicken enchiladas, wearing sweatpants, and looking for a new book to fall asleep reading. Tomorrow is dress shopping...probably should've eaten lighter tonight. Oh well. Lol
I hope you're all enjoying some R and R too!

Oh Briar! Hahahaaaa
Old 10-02-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

That's awesome Conquest, sounds perfect!
Old 10-03-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Sounds great Conquest. Enjoy the shopping today.

Not much on the agenda today. It's a whole 47 degrees with rain. My mother is going to stop by this morning to see the boys. It will be great to talk some recovery with her a bit.

Wishing all a great Saturday. It's Saturday!!
Old 10-03-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Looked up thisiswhyimbroke.com suggested by conquest - LOL!!

I slept a lot last night, was exhausted, and feel much better today. Not much craving compared to yesterday which is why HALT is a good tool for me. Reading the posts, sounds like not so much for others. One of the things I like so much about SR is sharing ideas about what works as we try to find our way.
Congrats to all where it's day 1 or day 45, it's tough. Sometimes I underestimate how hard it is until I am hit with an intense craving.
Going to try to relax today and wind down a bit. Lots going on at work and home so my mind is working overdrive and that's not good.
Luckily I am with my parents so alcohol is far out of reach, nearest store is miles away and it would break their heart to see me drink (they know).
Happy Sober Saturday all!
Old 10-03-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hi Dazee. I have found that the 'H' in HALT is usually the culprit for me and thankfully the easiest to address. This was especially true early on in my sobriety when the afternoon cravings had me wanting to stop for a six pack on the way home from work. I hope you enjoy a nice Saturday with your family.

Speaking of 'hungry', today's cool overcast weather calls for Briar's chili and cornbread. It took a while, but I finally found the recipe in one of our old threads. It's funny that my first thought was to google 'Briar's Chili'. And possibly tomorrow I'm planning on attempting BD's version of the Parmesan roasted potatoes....the lemon zest part caught my eye.