Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 5

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 5

Old 06-10-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Thanks all!

I will definitely get the book as soon as I can.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  
jkb

Hi, I'm new here!

Out of curiosity, I looked up what AV meant and it lead me to the RR website. I feel like big weight has lifted from me just from reading the site. I don't want to dictate what works for anyone else, but I was really trying to do AA and it wasn't working. I felt more sick trying to force myself to be in a program that didn't feel right.

I simply don't buy that I'm powerless. This actually goes against my own idea of God and the universe and all that jazz. I'm so so happy I found this. I almost cried from the simplicity of it. Quote-justsomeone

Hi JS-

I felt very similar when I first really got into RR/AVRT. Glad your here.

Jess
Old 06-10-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Sigh Of Relief

As the old saying goes: 'Now we're cookin' with Gas'! I stumbled upon this Thread, and related ones, yesterday. I've been reading this phenomenal material on/off since then. It really speaks to my POV.

I hit the 5 month Sobriety mark this Friday. I'm not 'white knuckling' it. My AV is sometimes present, but is pretty easily dismissed. No 'screaming' from it. I can duck into a Bar for the Chicken Wings, and have bought Da Wife some Wine from the local Store. No avoidance or freakout. So long as someone isn't waving my beloved Single Malt directly under my Nose, I'm cool. So, I will avoid that precise situation, that's all. That will sort out over elapsed time. As I've told Da Wife, I've no urge to reprise that classic Scene from 'Sideways' where a Character having a bad streak picks up the 'Spit' Jug of Wine Pour leftovers and attempts to swill it. Stick a Fork in my Azz. I'm done.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking 'what gives'? Why isn't this harder [after the first few weeks]?

Well, what gives is that - at my advanced age - I've done enough Drinking and decided to quit. Full stop. Just like that. I abhor the idea of 'surrendering' to anything outside myself. Some Cloud Spook didn't make me drink and can't be held accountable to make me stop. I can't keep track of external 'forces'. I always know where I and my resolute Scottish Core Character are. I, and not some Cloud Spook, have identified situations I will continue to avoid for now. Situations like being the ONLY Sober Person at large Dinner Parties where it's known Folks will get hammered. Solution: drive separately. I'm also not scheduling our first Cruise with another Couple. It was only chatter anyway. I'm not intentionally 'testing' myself; quite the opposite. Avoid a very few situations, and the rest seems to drop into place more effortlessly as each week clocks by.

I'm very interested in the experiences of others. I can get that here w/o dragging myself to Meetings I don't really have the patience to sit through. Thank you SR! Gave, and sat through, endless Tech Classes back when working. Been there and maxed out on that.

The RR/AVRT approach works for me, based on what I've read initially. Indeed, it already had worked for several months. I just didn't know what it was called. I'm very much looking forward to absorbing more, and augmenting my intensely-finalized decision to quit.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  
FT

Hi Mesa Man,

I also quit drinking using a method that I did not know at the time was AVRT, my own version of it. It's been 23 years now, and I've never looked back.

I attempted to quit many times during many years, but the final time just worked. I ultimately discovered that I had control and my AV could go fly a kite. I didn't know about the concept of the "beast" etc. at the time, but my method was otherwise the same.

I personally feel that you own your decisions and, as soon as I made the transition to being a non-drinker, the identity shift was complete. All other decisions about drinking became so simple. I am a non-drinker and that requires no explanation, regardless of the circumstances.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Hope everyone's doing well!

Had a dream about drinking last night. I was placed in a situation where I felt I had no choice but to drink and so I did, hoping I could do it slowly enough to not feel the effects.

I woke up and said to myself, "Of course I could have said no in that situation." I went on to start my day without a problem. Silly AV.

I'm doing pretty well. I've stopped counting sobriety days. It feels like just my life right now. Every once in a while AV shows up wondering if this is really and truly necessary. I just read a story about someone who lost their sister at a young age due to drinking. That shut that voice up pretty quickly.

I really will never change my mind.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  
FT

Hi justsomeone,

Welcome to SR, I see you've been posting and that's great. I'm glad to see you here.

I come to the Secular Connections frequently to see who's around. You'll get lots of support here.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Thanks FT!
Old 06-21-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Great thread!!

Started reading it last night, until also 3 AM, and half the day today, lol
My daughter called and I told her I quit drinking(4 days ago, made the Big Plan after finding it on a website), she was happy and impressed. Tried to explain AVRT, which she got and while I was talking to her she said, "You're laughing!"
Yes! Quitting doesn't have to suck, I am happy and empowered, not depressed and powerless!
Yes!
Old 06-27-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Red face

Originally Posted by milesfromhome View Post
Great thread!!

Started reading it last night, until also 3 AM, and half the day today, lol
My daughter called and I told her I quit drinking(4 days ago, made the Big Plan after finding it on a website), she was happy and impressed. Tried to explain AVRT, which she got and while I was talking to her she said, "You're laughing!"
Yes! Quitting doesn't have to suck, I am happy and empowered, not depressed and powerless!
Yes!
I'm new to this too. I love how you said that you are happy and empowered. It's how I feel too!! And so free of the burden alcohol put on me. The hiding, sneaking, guilt and trying to fight my beast and losing because I didn't know how to separate it from my rational thinking.

I just feel so relieved and happy

Hope you are all having a great day!!
Old 06-27-2014, 03:17 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justsomeone View Post
Hope everyone's doing well!

Had a dream about drinking last night. I was placed in a situation where I felt I had no choice but to drink and so I did, hoping I could do it slowly enough to not feel the effects.

I woke up and said to myself, "Of course I could have said no in that situation." I went on to start my day without a problem. Silly AV.

I really will never change my mind.
I've been having so many crazy drinking dreams since quitting ! They feel so real and I'm so relieved when I realise it was just a dream hope they go away soon. AV's trying to get to me even while I sleep haha!
Old 06-27-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

The moment for me when the penny dropped and I finally got it that I didn't need to drink anymore, and that I had actually quit drinking, was so liberating and transformative that I started to shake and weep. The depression and anxiety and shame and guilt and self-loathing were ending. I was terrified about what lay ahead, but I had the feeling, the deep knowing that I was going to do this.

It is fantastic to hear that you are feeling the same thing, MeeFreee. Rational Recovery calls it the Abstinence Commitment Effect. Great, eh? Onward with your fine self!
Old 06-27-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Thank you Freshstart - it is a wonderful feeling Powerful and freeing.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:10 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Longer Intervals

I had a really vivid Dream earlier this week about Drinking. Part of it was some aspect, now fuzzy in recollection, that involved the 'sneaking around' part I got adept at. Or, so I used to believe. That clandestine effort in this rare Dream was, I'm pleased to say, stupidly way too much work.

When I woke up, I was pretty weirded out. It took me a few minutes to come down from the intensity of that Dream. Mainly, I was thinking 'WTH was that all about'? AV, I know, but not even an AV episode I felt at all like caving in to. The old 'AV Surf' passing. All Liquor Stores were safe from my patronage that day.

The upside was that I disconnected from that Dream event fairly easily. I was kinda shocked that it even happened because, in my waking hours, such behavior has been put to rest. I don't now walk around 'struggling' or repressing anything, frankly. So, to revisit that behavior involuntarily was like a Cattle Prod on my Soul. I don't know how else to put it. It was kinda one of those Dreams you want to wake yourself up out of.

I have this optional lil Morning Routine whereby I remember some of the BS I used to engage in; the not-to-be-detailed-here Physical effects; and the many downsides. I don't obsess on this stuff. Maybe I recall this kinda stuff for 2 or 3 minutes. Then, it's up and at 'em sans Hangover. The key word is 'optional'. I don't do this 'recall' Routine every morning because I simply don't need to. I feel like it keeps me on track, and prevents me from getting sloppy and complacent.

I went down and started Coffee. I filed away that sort of Dream as something I can absorb, and dismiss. My Dog was thrilled that I got up.

In the overall scheme of things, no large deal.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Time to bump this one up again. For anyone who hasn't yet looked into AVRT, this thread, and its 2000 posts in earlier chapters, is an excellent resource. Onward!
Old 09-30-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

I spent some time reading through this thread today as well as visited the AVRT website. I have been making so many excuses for so long. I'm sitting here after a binge this weekend in which I totally humiliated myself and I'm done. I can and have quit for months at a time, now I'm just done. I am never drinking again. I will never choose to pick up a drink again. I've been making that choice to the detriment of my family too long.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

I spent some time reading through this thread today as well as visited the AVRT website. I have been making so many excuses for so long. I'm sitting here after a binge this weekend in which I totally humiliated myself and I'm done. I can and have quit for months at a time, now I'm just done. I am never drinking again. I will never choose to pick up a drink again. I've been making that choice to the detriment of my family too long.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Bump
Old 01-21-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Thanks for bumping this thread, freshstart57. I had not seen it before, but will be spending my time here for a while.

One thing that hung me up for a while, and correct me if I am wrong, is that the notion of being permanently free is confused with being instantly better. Early sobriety still has to navigate the discomfort of the healing process. Cognitive function is still impaired; the physical addiction lingers; old habits die hard, and so on. However, all of this can be neatly filed under and dealt with as the AV screaming at me. Additionally, while there is no off and on switch for the AV, and alternative, healthier voice can be nurtured to quiet it down.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Started reading "Rational Recovery" last night and it's like a veil was lifted! I've been toiling under the assumption that it was going to take a long time to "get sober" and that relapses were fairly normal and to be expected, since I was powerless over my addiction.

Like jazzfish said, physical improvements and cognitive function will take time to heal. But THIS...this IS my sobriety! I don't have to wait for it, or attend 'x' amount of meetings to achieve it. I don't have to change everything I am and believe in to quit drinking. Of course, I still have a lot of work to do on myself, but taking alcohol completely out of the equation is such a load off!

I'd been planning to hit up some AA meetings, but I don't think I want to now. It seems that I'd already been buying into a good bit of what they're selling and it wasn't working for me. Plus, what's the point? I don't drink.

I'm still new and I just started reading this book yesterday. I feel full of p!ss and vinegar, confident. So I'm wondering: is this just "new guy bravado", or could it really be this simple?
Old 01-21-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  
quat

I have found that it really is that simple, but not necessarily that it is easy. Psss and vinegar can surely help and nothing ever wrong with confidence.
#1 Stop
#2 Don't
simple
Building 'sober muscle' takes time but is certainly doable, the biggest hurdle for me was changing my mindset and knowing that I Could Do It, and so Can You