Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 5

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 5

Old 11-17-2013, 02:25 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Goddam Son of a B... H beast almost just had me. Started listening to it. Even let it trick me into thinking it was me that wanted the drink. Lucky I had the good ol' Big Plan to fall back on. Just kept reminding myself of my commitment, it's half an hour later, and I will never drink, and I will never change my mind. You got it beast, WHAT PART of NEVER DONT YOU uNDERSTAND!!!
Old 11-28-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  

I have been a member of AA(in and out) for well over a decade. aways relapsing.
I ead all there' to read on AVRT, I like the concept and woud love to rea the book.
I live in north western africa and could not find the book. can not afford getting it on line neither, no credit card nothing. was wondering if someone has the book on PDF and would like to help a person in need of abstinence.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:53 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

NotInControl, check for a PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:32 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

NotInControl, have you gone to the web site? For me just the slide-type presentation was enough. I've been sober for 13 months now with no relapses. Just a suggestion. Welcome to SR!
Old 11-29-2013, 02:01 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  

MythOfSisyphus,

Idid read all there's to read for free on the site but i always think that reading the book might giveme more insight on applying AVRT.
having tried to sober up for well over a decade, I am skeptical about the fact that just by reading and applying the free crash course on AVRT, I would stay sober for 13 months like you did, then again everything is possible.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

While you can't get the AVRT book on Kindle(ebook), there are some other Rational Recovery books you can get. Just search for this on Amazon and you'll find it. It's cheap too, under $10. Very informative and useful! Good luck man!
Old 12-08-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

a good samaritan from this group is mailing me a copy of the book from norh america all the way to north africa.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

I am totally confused at this moment. been using AVRT for now, using things I read for free on their site. I like the whole thing and it works. However I made quiet few friends from AA. In fact AA member came now 3 times to visit me at the psyshitric clinic where I am staying now for depression and suicidal thoughts after my last relapse.
How do you go from cutting ties with (friends) AA members and telling them that I am not supposed to attend meeting nor hang out with you all because I found another way of soberig up.
Personally, I would love to keep both, AA members and friends and AVRT.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I have friends in the RGM. I can do as I please with regard to meetings and groups because my abstinence is in no way tied to involvement or noninvolvement. I choose not to go to meetings for several reasons, but there is no reason I "can't".
Old 12-10-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

One of the tenets of RR is the belief in self, that you can quit drinking if you choose to, that you are sufficient to the task. To believe otherwise is to put a condition on your success, to think that you might fail if you don't do something or other. This is viewed as your AV looking for an out - AHA! You didn't go to your meeting today, no wonder you had a relapse.

So, keep your face to face contact, and do not sever your friendships or anything of the sort. To think that a failure to do that in order to 'follow AVRT' would cause you to fail in your sobriety, to me, is just more AV. As Soberlicious said, involve yourself or not with the recovery group movement, you have the power to get and stay sober in either case.

You can do this, NotInControl. I believe in you, it is up to you to believe in yourself.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

your responses make a lot of sense and put this issue to rest for me. Thank you guys
Old 12-16-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

I picked up a copy of RR over the weekend and am almost done reading it. Once done I'll decide whether or not to make a Big Plan, seems like a decision to not take lightly. I'm sure it's going to **** off the Beast when I do.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:34 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Yes, Balinchain, of course it will p*ss the beast off. But...so what?
Old 12-31-2013, 07:57 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
He's been getting rather noisy lately, must be a bit nervous with all the goings on. All kinds of beastly chatter. Let it chatter but it's getting no alcohol.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Why throw alcohol into the ring of fire? Watch the beast burn balinchane!
Happy new year
Artful
Old 01-03-2014, 02:11 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Interesting reading ...there is Sooooo Much more to SR than i thought !
Old 01-03-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I'm new to this forum, to AVRT and RR. Been reading on these threads for hours today. Yesterday discovered RR website but was drinking so put it on hold as per Trimpy's suggestion. I cannot recall the last time I went to bed sober; neither can I recall the last time I woke up not full of fear, loneliness, and self-loathing. This morning when my eyes came open I thought right away of RR site and looked forward to taking that crash course. There was hope there.Awoke more or less "fresh" today, returned to the site and clicked on the AVRT crash course. I made the Big Plan.

After earning my Ph.D. in Recovery this morning (ha!), I went looking for support and believe I have found it here in the Secular Connections forum. I just want to say, soberlicious, that your thoughts have been among the most helpful to me. I like your attitude! Yeah, so what the Beast gets p*ssed off? You also pointed out in an earlier post that Buddhism encourages "leaning into" discomfort.

After years of gloom, hearbreak and failure due directly to my addiction to alcohol, about a month ago I was miraculously granted a series of "gifts" that will, if I am clean and sober, transform my life: a new home (I have been homeless and living in shelters and institutions for about the past ten years), new wheels (haven't owned a car since 2003), and, most critically, a new job scheduled to begin four days from now. As soon as all these gifts came my way, I returned to a psychotherapist whom I tried working with before (but failed due to my stubborn insistence on drinking), a guy whose therapeutic approach regards mindfulness.

So now I have this job/home/car and future looks bright but hanging by a thin thread if I continue to drink. And this therapist, I know his approach is right on, but shoot! What am I going to do, I have not stopped drinking and have no "program" and no social support for my sobriety! I have been planning for weeks to return to AA so I don't blow these opportunities, but something has been holding me back. I dislike AA; have had terrible social experiences there. And it has never really worked. Regardless, I bravely headed off towards a meeting yesterday, to be my first in years and years, but closer I got the more uncomfortable I felt. Drove right past the clubhouse. Instead, got a case of beer, headed home. Drank.

Somehow miraculously found Trimpey's website.

And now more gifts! AVRT, an approach that fits my counselor's approach like a glove on a hand. And now you! "Lean into the discomfort . . . ." Yes. So what if the Beast gets a little bent out of shape. My counselor has already talked about learning how to just simply "be" with feelings, with thoughts. And here you are: "Lean into it, man."

I belong here, thank you.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Brattenj57, well met, and welcome. Believe in yourself and that you deserve this, and you will have it. Onward!
Old 01-03-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Brattenj57, well met, and welcome. Believe in yourself and that you deserve this, and you will have it. Onward!
Freshstart, you are another of the contributors I enjoy reading and whom has been very helpful to me today, Day 1. I look forward to future interactions with you!
Old 01-05-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Hi Bratten. I'm so very glad that you have ended your addiction and, as a result, can now change your life. Everything you want is within your reach. This is so exciting! Glad you are here. Xo