Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 5

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 5

Old 01-05-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Hi Bratten. I'm so very glad that you have ended your addiction and, as a result, can now change your life. Everything you want is within your reach. This is so exciting! Glad you are here. Xo
Thank you for your kind welcome. My first day here, the first day I explored AVRT, I read many of the Secular Recovery threads and saw your posts throughout and found them heartening, thought-provoking, very encouraging. I look forward to seeing more from you. Very helpful for me now.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

I found this thread(s) whilst researching about the book "Taming the Feast Beast" and just couldn't stop reading. I suffer from binge eating disorder and the beast is alive and well in my instance, and I feel I can substitute the subtance abuse with my trigger foods. I abolutely love reading anything by Terminally Unique; honestly everything they write just resonates with me. I really feel I beat this and have been scanning each thread and making avid notes of anything that TU has written, however there are pages and pages of threads, so I just have to skim through. I notice they don't seem to be active anymore. Does anyone know if TU has a blog? Or even an ebook for that matter. The advice and thoughts from TU are absolutely priceless.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

The Beast tends to tantrum when its scared or angry about losing control. Acknowlege and move on. Nothing to see here! LOL. The Beast is no longer in control and its days are numbered.

love from lenina
Old 01-05-2014, 07:00 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

And I do know there is an eating disorder forum here but I find it triggering and depressing, as I do most ED threads. Either people are doing really well (a trigger for me because I ask myself why am I so hopeless/weak) or they are falling off the wagon (depresses me and fills me with hopelessness i.e. trigger). I seem to get so much more inspiration from this thread.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:36 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Bump
Old 04-17-2014, 11:17 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Present

Here's information Terminally Unique sent to me before making his/her last post on March 8 of 2012. TU is missed. I think you will find this as helpful, as did I.
Originally Posted by Terminally Unique
Originally Posted by MeredithD1
I hadn't heard about Rational Recovery before I saw your profile. I looked it up. Great stuff! Thanks for the reference.
This should save you some time.

Additional information on Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) from Rational Recovery:

I recommend the crash course, followed by the book course, as well as the discussion threads in the Secular Connections forum. If you are concerned about the cost of the book, you can get used copies on Amazon.com or Half.com for $5-$6 shipped.

1. Quick Start on Rational Recovery
  2. Basic Crash Course on AVRT
  3. AVRT: The Rational Recovery Technique (Journal Article)
  4. Advanced Crash Course on AVRT — Give it time to redirect!
  5. Advanced Crash Course on AVRT (Alternate) — Give it time to redirect!
  6. AVRT-Based Recovery in a Nutshell (PDF) — Give it time to redirect!
  7. Informed Consent to Addiction Treatment (PDF)

The Book Course on AVRT — (Very Highly Recommended!)
Excerpts from the book:
  1. AVRT in a Nutshell
  2. Yes, Virginia, there is a cure for alcoholism!
  3. The Recovery Hall of Mirrors
  4. Some Suggested Do's and Don'ts — Give it time to redirect!

AVRT Discussion Thread on Sober Recovery
Old 04-17-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Try try again

Wow!! Basic Crash Course on AVRT was fascinating! I'm going to use that. Thank you for posting that, Meredith.

By the way, who is Terminally Unique and what happened to him or her?
Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Administrator

People come and people go, Be11e.
He left some good stuff behind for anyone interested in the technique.

D
Old 04-17-2014, 09:10 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Thanks, Meredith, for re-posting those links.

It's been a while since I read through those materials - really good stuff there!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

A large part of TU's legacy is this thread, now with 5 parts and over 2300 posts. It may well be the best AVRT resource outside of the RR website. There are many posts where his particular brand of wisdom was freely dispensed. TU even took a personal interest in some members with private correspondence and encouragement.

His username is an ironic tip o the hat to the rejoinder that those who believe that they must follow a different path to sobriety have a terminal condition. This thread continues to grow as a testament to TU's contribution to SR.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Present

Originally Posted by BradJustBrad View Post
Thanks, Meredith, for re-posting those links.

It's been a while since I read through those materials - really good stuff there!
It's been a while for me, too, but I am subscribed to this thread, and in doing some email clean-up and maintenance yesterday, saw there had been a bump to the thread and decided to come over because I wanted to refresh myself on the crash course, too. It's as fresh and vital after a few times as it was the first time.

Over on the RR web site, it seems there have been some updates. Trimpey has set up some new stuff, I think, on the pages after the crash course.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.

First, thanks for this amazing thread. I've been trying to use AVRT lately to deal with dermatillomania/skin picking. Thanks to all the information in the different AVRT threads, I made my Big Plan on the 8th of April and did well for a few days. However, as often happens, I got a nasty breakout and ended up relapsing pretty hard. I've been trying to get back on the horse for the last 4 days but now the Beast keeps telling me: "You said you would never pick again and you would never change your mind but I still won. I'm stronger than you, what's the point of trying again?" I'm getting pretty discouraged. I know with AVRT I'm not supposed to use the word "relapse" and compare my experience to that of other people but... has anyone gotten back on the horse after failing their Big Plan the first time? Is there anything in the book about that?

Also, my problem is I tend to mindlessly "scan" through my face with my fingers when I'm worried about something or bored. Most of the time I don't even realize I'm doing it, but feeling the slightest bump under my skin is a massive trigger. That's the thing about derma, you can't exactly take your skin off, so it's a bit like a recovering alcoholic walking around with a bar on his shoulders. There always seems to come a point where I start identifying with my AV and go: "Okay **** this, I'm picking." When I try not scanning through my skin, I always seem to hurt myself one way or another, either by biting my nails, my lower lip, picking the skin off my cuticles and so on. Any ideas how I could apply AVRT to that problem?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Meredith, thanks for posting those links! Super helpful. After a bunch of relapses and false starts, I may pick up my copy of RR and re-read it this time around. And make a big plan!
It seems almost too simple to work...but I guess that must be my AV talking
Old 04-21-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Present

Merida, sorry to hear it! you have the book? on the web site Trimpey gives a phone number. Maybe start there for application to your situation? The Beast isn't stronger than you. The Beast needs your cooperation to be able to do anything at all. That's the Beast telling you it's stronger than you are.

lilac0721 - me too, reading the book again. And yep, too simple to work, that's the AV!
Old 04-22-2014, 01:49 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Hi Meredith, thanks for your reply. I don't have the book as it's not available in France, but I will try and get an ebook version of it today. I'm sure it will help me stay motivated
Old 05-21-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
FT

Meredith,

Thank you so much for the links. I come and go on SR these days, and I was also looking to connect again with TU. I hope he comes here now and then to bask in the admiration he inspired in a lot of us who found his posts some of the most useful on this website.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm new here!

Out of curiosity, I looked up what AV meant and it lead me to the RR website. I feel like big weight has lifted from me just from reading the site. I don't want to dictate what works for anyone else, but I was really trying to do AA and it wasn't working. I felt more sick trying to force myself to be in a program that didn't feel right.

I simply don't buy that I'm powerless. This actually goes against my own idea of God and the universe and all that jazz.

I'm so so happy I found this. I almost cried from the simplicity of it.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
FT

Hi and welcome, justsomeone!

I haven't been powerless ever since I became liberated in 1969!

Seriously, though, I have found AVRT the most logical and best way for me. Keep coming back, ask questions, post often, and you will have lots of company.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Welcome, justsomeone.
I simply don't buy that I'm powerless. This actually goes against my own idea of God and the universe and all that jazz.
Me too. Make yourself comfy here, there is a lot of support for you!
Old 06-10-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Good for you Just. I've also found AVRT to be an approach that fits with my views.

I suggest buying the Rational Recovery book (Rational Recovery The New Cure for Substance Addiction). Copies can be bought cheaply on Half.com. It contains much more information than the website, and IMO, anyone who is serious about AVRT should have a copy.