Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 5

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 5

Old 03-07-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

With your Big Plan in place, it will be a shut-out game for the rest of your life.
For me, the game was over long ago. I lost track of the score when I realized I was playing soccer against a fish.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by trachymis View Post
Score: Trachymis:2 IT:0

Went to do some laundry. My favorite wine and liquor outlets between here and there. Yeah, IT wanted to stop. Both ways. Even went in the grocery where the wine shop is to get some lunch. Too bad for IT.
Regarding "addiction diction" - Those liquor outlets?
Are they REALLY - YOUR favorite outlets any more?
Yeahhhhh!
NOW, they are IT's favorite outlets.
You will never be swallowing that stuff again, so why would they be YOUR favorite outlets?
This is AVRT.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

You are correct, sir. (sir?)

As far as scorekeeping, I play golf and count every stroke. After 35 years of hard drinking, I'm gonna relish every little victory for a while. Just keeping my ACE levels up.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Sorry, just wanted to mark this thread in "My Posts", can't be losing it...
Old 04-12-2013, 11:30 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Lol Raggedyman, doing the same. Lots of good stuff.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Can someone send me the links about AVRT from terminally unique? I tried to PM but I need 5 posts first..thanks
Old 07-30-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

It's been interesting reading through this thread in relating to others explaining how they gave up using this method. I like the thought that all self-doubt is the Beast or AV, as I'm full of self-doubt it seems and low self-esteem. My "beast" mocks me, thinks it ridiculous that I could never drink again and never change my mind! I'm early days.
Anyway great thread, only read parts of Parts 1 and 2 and this one. Looking forward to my copy of 'RR' arriving from the UK.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:41 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  

been around a while, found link to AVRT looking for on line help

As of now I have a big plan and here it is:

I will never drink alcohol again, and on that I will never change my mind.

I did the crash course and I will get the book this weekend. I understand that the beast does not know time, but counting days seems good to me especially in the beginning, am I missing something on that point?

thanks to everyone here , been reading these threads on AVRT discussion for hours, I appreciate all the time and effort.

highest regards, trish
Old 08-10-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

That's great news, 439Trish! Congratulations on your achievement! Such a wonderful death defying act you have committed.

I don't think you are missing anything as counting days has its detractors and proponents, even among AVRT types. For me, I like to think of quitting drinking as being an event, a completed action in the past, that marks me as BADASS IN YOUR FACE I'M DOING THIS BECAUSE I DESERVE BETTER AND BECAUSE I SAID SO DAMMIT. BOOYAH. Another day doesn't make me any 'quittier' than I was yesterday. Even so, I mark my anniversaries with satisfaction and pride.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:44 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

thanks for taking the time to respond Fresh,

"i'm not any quittier" ha!! that is greatness

I claim my freedom, I have wanted it for so long and it is mine.

still I have a lot of anxiety today

planning to go for a swim and work in my yard

all the best to you today, and thanks for being here. trish
Old 08-10-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 439trish View Post
I claim my freedom, I have wanted it for so long and it is mine.
You have the nut of it right there, Trish. You made this, you are creating this, because you deserve a life without alcohol, and with joy and beauty and peace. Awesome. Goodonya!

Recognition, separation and acceptance. Onward!
Old 09-21-2013, 07:04 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

bump
Old 10-04-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

I really shocked myself last week when I referred to myself as "we". It was a Gollum moment, I thought I was going nuts. Now it makes total sense. Stupid beast!
Old 10-18-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

nearly a month in and starting to get the hang of this AVRT stuff. Today I was in the city and really manic after three or so coffees and dancing to heavy rock on head-phones in public- often called 'dry drunk' behaviour by certain people- no was just really manic but thing was when I sat near a beer garden (bar) in full view of folks drinking the Beast started drooling like a delirious dog- it IS just animal urge- so I started reading more 'rational recovery' and it really helped made me laugh suffice to say happy enough now 11.20pm another day sober and the Beast cowering in the garden in the dark out there where IT belongs! Peace.

ww
Old 11-02-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Bump
Old 11-04-2013, 03:21 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

I have a question for those of you knowledgeable with AVRT. Please forgive me if it was covered in one of the previous threads, I just can't go through them all.

I've read some people who adopt AVRT dismiss alcohol as being immoral, thereby changing the way they inherently think about alcohol generally. If stealing is immoral, I'm just not going to do it. Same with lying or murder or any number of things. I understand the importance of this tactic.

However, as much as I identify with other features of AVRT, I can't identify with this one. If other people enjoy alcohol, I don't consider them immoral for it. Even those who become drunks or addicts, I don't consider them immoral people inherently for that fact alone.

From what I've read, though, coming to a place where alcohol is immoral, point blank, is a pretty important element of AVRT's success. At least from what I've taken away from other posters in these threads. Am I reading too much into this? Can anyone comment?
Old 11-04-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Good question, Zazzzz. I dunno if I am qualified or not to answer, but that has never held me back before, so here goes.

The question of morality is something that I used to lock the door on my ever drinking again. I came to view my drinking as immoral, in that it would be immoral for me to drink. I used my experience, and my history to create that association. Even though I did not get arrested for DUI, I most certainly could have been arrested simply because I drove my car while impaired on several occasions. That means that this is something I might do again if I were to drink, despite the illegality of it and the risk of jail time and shame.

Now, in early sobriety, I met a friend whose spouse and infant child were killed by a drunk driver who ran a stop sign. The carnage was horrific as three lives were ended in a moment, and a dozen lives were changed forever through the grief and loss that only a parent or spouse can understand.

I conflated my driving while intoxicated with this horrible tragedy, and used this connection to push any future drinking of mine over the limit of morality, past simple illegality. I refused to ever drink again because I might drive drunk again, and be directly responsible for a similar horror. I imagined this horror to be what my friend experienced, so that in some way I would become morally responsible for those deaths. This is how I made future drinking immoral for me.

I am not afraid of alcohol, but I am repulsed at the idea that I would ever consume it again. I have made it immoral for me to drink. I don't really care about other people's consumption, although DUIs can get me pretty angry.

Anyway, that's what I did.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:48 AM
  # 298 (permalink)  

New here today. Read avrt QuickStart guide this morning, made the big plan, and am relieved that I've finally made this decision. I've had years of listening to the beast tell me I couldn't do this on my own, and to now know that I am powerful and that I no longer have to get involved in "will I , won't i" discussions with IT.
Any tips on staying vigilant for ITs voice in the early days?
Old 11-08-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Youbetcha. Try this, BeastTamer. Set aside 30 minutes of your day, in 5 minute chunks, and sit. I don't mean to sit on a chair in front of your tv or computer, but put yourself in a quiet room, and sit in a comfortable but attentive way, cross-legged on the floor on a cushion if you like. Become aware of your breathing, the sensation of cool air coming in through your nose, warmer air leaving as you exhale. Feel the sensations caused by your diaphragm rising and falling, the sensations of your clothing against your skin. When your mind wanders off because a thought of past or future intrudes, allow that thought to sit with you without judging it or becoming hijacked by it. Return your mind's eye back to these feelings of breathing, back to the sensations of your breath. For just 5 minutes. It will feel like you just took a vacation from the roar of all this thinking stuff our brain does all the time.

This practice of mindfulness, done a half dozen times a day, will show you how to become aware of your thoughts without acting on them, and you can use this to become sensitized to the AV. So look for some information about mindfulness. Urge surfing is another term used for this mindful practice.

I must congratulate you, BeastTamer, on your Big Plan. It really is exciting to finally get that you can do this, that you have what it takes to quit. And what a relief to know that the cr@ap of addiction is over and behind you now simply because you say so, dammit. I believe that we can think ourselves into new ways of being too.

Onward!
Old 11-09-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  

Hey everyone. Now I've finished 'AVRT-the Book Course' and I'm seven weeks sober today. I like yr last post freshstart..mindfulness has been really important for me this time just to become more grounded and AWARE. Sometimes I only last a minute but it all helps. I get the concept that we drank/used for the 'deep pleasure' it created.
I'm enjoying catching my Beast out and love the freedom of just living life like any normal person.thanks