Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Secular Recovery > Secular Connections
Reload this Page >

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 5

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion — Part 5

Old 02-11-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 501 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
It feels like there's a debate team in my mind sometimes. Did you guys go through this as well?
I knew I had a problem with alcohol for a long time, but I did not understand that this is what addiction means - the deep conflict in my mind. I thought if I understood I should quit then I shouldn't want to drink. I didn't understand that the rational thought and the irrational desire came from different parts of the brain and the irrational desire was the manifestation of my addiction.

I would quit and this battle would launch in my head. No one could see it. No one could hear that voice but me. I seriously thought I might be going insane. That my condition was something beyond alcohol addiction. I tried a popular group method on and off for 20 years, and never heard anyone mention a voice or a battle in their head.

When I first joined SR I read a post where someone mentioned AV. I asked what it was and it was explained to me. I was stunned. OMG - other people hear that voice too!?! It's so common it has a name? AV?

I mentioned something in one of my earliest posts about feeling pretty good that particular day, but knowing that desire, that voice, would come back and that I was nervous because it was so persuasive I would not be able to resist it. A fellow by the name of freshstart57 very politely told me I was wrong; I could absolutely resist it for the rest of my life; and sent me a link to the AVRT explained thread.

I read it. It was palm-to-the-forehead time for me. I was a little embarrassed I hadn't figured it out on my own, but overwhelmed with relief to learn this voice in my head that had been my master for most of my life actually has extremely limited power.

It is a child throwing a tantrum. It is a barking dog on a chain. You don't argue with those things. There is no debate. There is no point to debating with it. It's just a voice. It wants one thing and one thing only. It can't have it. End of story.

You can do this.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:02 AM
  # 502 (permalink)  

I can really relate to that Nonsensical, although for a long time I thought that the AV was a concept from AA

When I read about the disease model of addiction I never felt the sense of relief some people talk about, I felt like I'd been handed a death sentence, doomed to repeat so called 'relapses' until I died.

I was embarrassed I hadn't figured it out on my own too, never mind, once you're on the right path there's no point looking backwards.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 503 (permalink)  

I've calmed down today.... yesterday was just an all around stressful ****** day. My mind is in a better place. You are both right, this only has to be as difficult as I make it for myself, it's all in my head. If I blow it all out of proportion then I'm only making it harder than it needs to be. I have been allowing the thoughts to take root and I need to stop that right now. There can be no wiggle room just a brick wall. There is no debate.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 504 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I want to get y'alls take on pain pills....and I mean prescribed pain meds for REAL pain.

A little background: oxy and hydro were my doc at one time. When I got clean off those I amped up the booze. I've made my big plan and am committed to permanent abstinence.

So...I find myself in a predicament about using prescribed pain meds. I am in real pain...as in 'I'm having a hard time sleeping because of the pain' kind of pain. I know the meds will genuinely help ease the pain, but I also know that I like the effect the meds provide. Am I over thinking this? I'm a purist about my abstinence...I don't even cook with alcohol, etc...but am I being too extreme about the pain meds? If I take the meds am I feeding my beast? Does permanent abstinence mean we have to suffer in pain? Blah!!
Old 02-14-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 505 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
I want to get y'alls take on pain pills....and I mean prescribed pain meds for REAL pain.!!
In terms of your need for the meds Consult your doctor and other health professionals with this one.
In terms of your thinking and possible angst Perhaps you are adding Moral baggage unnecessarily to your situation. I would ask the question of myself in regards to this kind of thought, What lies behind my "Purest" approach? Where am I getting the ideas that create a causality between one drug and another?
With the "beast" label. Perhaps here you are developing ideas that take that label from a metaphor to an actual kind of "ghost in the machine" like a force with intention to get you to drink again. Maybe try more neutral practices like mindfulness or ACT or Smart.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 506 (permalink)  

I'd agree with consulting your doctor brynn, they'll know far more on the subject.

Are you worried you're becoming addicted to the meds? Or worried that the effect of the meds may weaken your resolve to stay sober?

Because the second one is pure AV
Old 02-15-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 507 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Thanks for the feedback y'all.

My doctor knows about the pain and he's the one that prescribed the meds.

My problem with taking them lies in the fact that at one time I was addicted to pain meds. I worry that taking them will negate my big plan...as in if I take them I won't truly be sober.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 508 (permalink)  

brynn,
for me, it would be a matter of being scrupulously honest about why i'm taking it.
the only thing in your post that would concern me is that you say you like the effects.
i was sober for my last surgery, and had morphine afterwards. freaked me out, the pump and then the pills. so i shared my concerns, told the nurses and doc that i'm an alcoholic and worried about getting addicted.

they very clearly explained to me that as long as i was in real pain, the drug would simply help with that, and there would be, in effect, no effect of the other, 'high' kind.
and i found that to be true. as the days progressed and the pain lessened, there was that one pill i took that they had told me about: it made me queasy and wobbly a couple of minutes after i took it. THAT was the pill that wasn't necessary for pain anymore.

if you're getting an effect you like that's not just pain relief...yeah, i'd be concerned.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 509 (permalink)  
Administrator

Part 6 here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-6-a.html