TSH's Totally Random Rambling Spot

Old 03-02-2009, 07:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Resident

TSH. About the wisdom teeth. I haven't had to have mine pulled but my wife and both my kids have and I am about 90% positive that they were completely sedated for the process. I will check with my wife about this tonight. If you have to be completely sedated anyways perhaps you can find a dentist that is covered under your insurance.
I am a dentaphobe also. I have to get 2 teeth filled and put it off for 2 months now. I went in last week and found out he will be away for the next month.
The receptionist says I can use the other dentist and I told her that I was more than happy to wait.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Well I called the office. Dentist is on a ski vacation this week - must be nice!!

Anyway, I talked to a hygienist who is familiar with me, my teeth, my phobia, etc. She was supposed to be my hygienist at my last appt 3 weeks ago but she was sick that morning. ANYWAY - she pulled up my xrays while she was talking to me and said that she can't see the cavity on the xray, which would indicate to her that it's small and no big deal. She said she also doesn't understand why he'd suggest pulling a tooth that he just filled 6 weeks prior. I feel better after speaking to her if, for no other reason, than feeling justified in my confusion and frustration. She's going to leave a note for the dentist to call me next week when he's back so we can discuss it further. After talking to her, I'm strongly leaning toward just having that top tooth filled and not having either one pulled.

As if I need anything else going on right now, my Li'l Man's teacher called - he threw up in class and I had to go pick him up. I *KNEW* he didn't seem like himself this morning before he got on the bus, but he certainly didn't seem like he was about to puke. He's been getting BETTER, FFS!! Ugh - this sick kid thing is so frustrating.

COME ON, SPRING.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Oh Fub, yeah, I know that people normally get sedated when they have their wisdom teeth pulled, but mine aren't impacted or anything. They're fully out just like any other tooth in my mouth (I had 6 teeth pulled as a teen before I got braces, so I had plenty of room once they came in). Seeing as this is a regular dentist and not an oral surgeon, it's just a routine extraction. LOL - "routine". NOTHING dental is "routine" to me!

While I had her on the phone, I asked the hygienist for the down-low on getting a tooth filled, since I have no memory of the fillings I got in December. She said that if it's a tiny cavity and I get it done soon I might even be able to get away with not needing to be numbed up, much less sedated.

I'll be curious to hear what the dentist has to say next week. He's got some 'splaining to do.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Unhappy And now for a REAL downer...

I have a friend, B, who I know from a local photography group. We don't see each other often, but when we do we get along great and have fun hanging out. We keep up on Facebook. She has a 13-year old daughter, M. In late November, they were leaving a local pizza place and M and her friends were cutting up in the parking lot (as kids do). M did a cartwheel and fell when she landed... and didn't get up. Took her to a minor med place, they sent her immediately to a children's hospital. Children's hospital said something is definitely not right and sent her to St. Jude's (children's hospital for cancer).

Long story short, they found out she has cancer. The tumor on her femur is what caused her leg to break when she fell. She's been in traction ever since - poor child has had her leg held up with pins for over 3 months. They've done chemo and today are doing surgery to try to remove the tumor. It's apparently pretty tricky stuff because the tumor was partially 'feeding' off the femoral artery.

B just posted an update on the hospital's website. They're going to amputate M's leg. They knew going into the surgery that this was a possibility, but of course the hope was that they could save the leg.

She's 13 years old and is going to wake up from this surgery without a leg.

This is really bumming me the F out. I feel so badly for M and B and their whole family.

The kicker to this whole situation? The tumor in her leg isn't the only one. She has other, smaller, different tumors in her lungs. They already told her they couldn't take those out or get rid of them with chemo. The surgery was to attempt to heal her leg and her leg alone. They have given her 5 years to live.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My Sister~ OMG, I'm so sorry to hear about your Friend and her Daughter! That is heartbreaking, I swear no parent should ever have to go through that. I will keep them in my prayers.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Wow - deep heartbreak for your friend's 13 year old.. what huge stuff to deal with so young.

I think you should check around for another dentist - just to get a second opinion.. I too have HUGE dental issues, and also have physical problems getting numb.. I went through a car windshield 40 years ago (300 facial stitches, badly broken femur) and get flashbacks when I go to the dentist - not pleasant.. Anyway, nothing sounds urgent and if you think it over for a month or so does not sound like you have anything to lose.. I love sedation dentistry - has made it so much more tolerable, but also don't think it is good practice for the dentist to put options to you when you are coming out of the sedation.

Thanks for this thread.. Love your posts.. Great snowman - wow did it melt fast! Here in the west we are watching the reservoirs fill (hopefully) from much needed rain (got to use "fast" on my wipers this AM for the first time in about 2 years; also got to swim backstroke with rain falling in my face - YES ).. no snow angles or snow scarecrows here..

:ghug
Old 03-02-2009, 10:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

So I'm watching the movie Center Stage right now...and wishing I was a dancer =) I *love* to dance! And while I have fantastic rhythm and I"m considered a good dancer, I've always wanted to be a *DANCER*. To move like the Girls on Dancing With the Stars! lol Plus to me they have the most gorgeous bodies =) I love watching Dance movies, I'm such a Girl!

Okay, how was that for a mindless ramble?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Resident

Originally Posted by TryingSoHard View Post
Well I called the office. Dentist is on a ski vacation this week - must be nice!!
She said she also doesn't understand why he'd suggest pulling a tooth that he just filled 6 weeks prior. I feel better after speaking to her if, for no other reason, than feeling justified in my confusion and frustration.

COME ON, SPRING.
The answer to why he said you have to have the tooth pulled is in the first line of your post.
Ski trips are expensive.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:34 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Mari~ that was a wonderful random post! Thank you!

Good grief - WTF has happened in my house in the past 12 hours? Me and both my boys are sick. As in SICK. Totally out of the blue. Li'l Man was 99% recovered from his head cold and I wound up picking him up from school at 9:30 this morning because he puked all over his classroom. I woke up with a sore throat and have gotten progressively worse all day (and I'm running a fever). Teen came home this evening and said he almost passed out at school today; he THOUGHT about calling me to come pick him up but didn't, and even went ahead and went to football practice.

Seriously - all 3 of us were FINE when we went to bed last night. Hub got home from his school trip today - he's probably wishing he were still in Florida!! LOL

But hey, I have my laptop back.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sweetie I"m so sorry all of you are sick!!!! Get plenty of rest and lots of fluids. D*mn Flu, I swear everybody is getting it!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:52 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Wishing you and the fam a quick recovery - yikes - all sick at once!

TSH
Littleman
Teen

Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Yeah, it stinks.

Teen had a prescription for some antibiotics (got it last Friday when I took him to the doc) so we got that filled and started giving it to him last night. This morning he said he felt much better, so he went to school.

Li'l Man was ACTING fine but had a fever of 101.2 so he's home. He really does seem like he feels ok, but I'd hate for him to get his whole class sick.

I feel HORRIBLE. MUCH worse than I felt yesterday. And I almost cried when I realized I had to keep Li'l Man home with me today, because that means I can't sleep all day and try to get better.

My husband is going to try to come home in a little while and work from home for the rest of the day. If he can do that, that will be a big help.

Also, I just read an update on my friend and her daughter (the one who had to have her leg amputated yesterday). Apparently the daughter was HYSTERICAL when she woke up from surgery and realized what happened. I simply can not imagine that. My heart is breaking for them.

The clock on my laptop is all messed up now. Hub changed it to eastern time while he had it in Florida. I changed it back to Central yesterday. The actual computer time is right, but any applications that I have that show the time (Weatherbug, ***** Widgets, etc) are still on Eastern. It's weird, and I don't know how to fix it.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you are feeling worse Girl~ Being sick sucks =( I hope your Hubby can come home early so you can rest. I know how hard it is to try and do that with little ones at home. I usually put on a movie and have my Daughter sit next to me and I put my hand on her so if she gets up I feel her! lol I don't sleep, but I can at least rest my body. Do you think your little boy would go for that?

You might want to check your ***** settings, maybe they are on eastern time instead of central. I"m pretty sure the weather bug widget you can change by clicking on it and making sure the correct location is set on it. HTH

So you'll be proud of me...I finally got off my tushy and worked out today! I did 30 minutes on my elliptical machine =) I hadn't done the machine since October and not only did I feel like my heart was going to come out of my chest but I almost hurled! YUCK! lol I know once I start getting used to it I won't feel that way anymore, but man it sucks at first. I kept picturing myself in a bikini to stay motivated! hahaha
Old 03-03-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

That's weird about your Dentist, T. Extract a tooth he filled 6 weeks ago and also a tooth that doesn't have a problem? Odd!

Sorry about your friends daughter.

I just ordered a new Sigma lens, lol! Wish me luck that I get a good sample this time.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:12 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

on the other hand...and hind side is 20/20.....

I always believed the philosopy that as soon as one wisdom tooth develops a problem...yank em all......you've a far far greater than 50% chance of having trouble with them down the road anyways...

Course if I had my druthers....I'de of had all my teeth pulled in 1998..when i had to spend the first round of 3K on fixing all the problems.

But then I'm an all or nothing girl

YouTube - Jessica Reiner-Harris All Or Nothing

sorry guys i'm a sucker for corn ball (lol)
Old 03-03-2009, 10:14 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

You following me Nands?

druthers?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:35 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

ah the sr staulker...you've discovered my secret identitity...don't tell the others it can be our secrete......(now entering stealth mode)
Old 03-03-2009, 05:04 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Originally Posted by Mariposa18 View Post
So I'm watching the movie Center Stage right now...and wishing I was a dancer =) I *love* to dance! And while I have fantastic rhythm and I"m considered a good dancer, I've always wanted to be a *DANCER*. To move like the Girls on Dancing With the Stars! lol Plus to me they have the most gorgeous bodies =) I love watching Dance movies, I'm such a Girl!
OK, this reminded me of my Sunday evening. SO wanted to go dancing. I have never been. Neither has he. It was so sad to watch us. All we could find that was both open and had a dance floor (on a Sunday evening, mind you) was a bar about 15 miles from his house. So we ordered Dr. Peppers (I'm 8 weeks in, no way I'm having a beer now!!) and got out on the floor. Pathetic. There was another couple there who were REALLY good, so we ended up switching partners and getting some lessons. I think I just tripped the guy and didn't really get the hang of it though. Still, I had a great time, played some pool, and got some shuffleboard lessons from some pretty impressive shuffleboard players. Now really, how often do you get the chance to become a bad dancer and a bad shuffleboard player on the same night?
Old 03-05-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Just poppin' in for a minute. Still here, still sick. At least the kids are both at school today.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:17 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I've just gotta say: whatever crud I have is messing up my taste buds and I don't like it one bit! Nothing tastes right. Nothing. And it's been that way for 3 days now. Diet Coke. Chocolate. Hamburgers. French fries. Peanut butter. You name it, it tastes weird. It's bad enough that my stomach can't seem to decide if it's growling or churning... I've hardly wanted to eat all week, and when I do feel like eating it takes forever for me to decide on something that sounds good. Then I eat it and it tastes wrong?!?

sigh

I'm tired of this.