Notices

Class Of December 2022 Part One

Old 12-11-2022, 09:03 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Today is Day 5.

I did hear my AV yesterday. A beer for some reason sounded like the most refreshing thing. I don’t even really drink beer. Commercials, ads online, posts of my friends all contained alcohol consumption. Our world is a constant ad for alcohol.

Anywho, I ignored it and woke up sober.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:16 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Beer is not refreshing for me. It is poison. I suspect the same is true for you, TakeAction.
Way to ignore the LIE.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:52 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Toughchoices and Zenithboy. Thanks for the kind thoughts. I will continue to mindful that sobriety is the best course. Hope you both have a great day.
Old 12-11-2022, 10:02 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Runner-I understand completely. I too have been married 39 years. My wife is very outgoing and I do pretty well inside my small circle of people. I do feel some of that boring stuff when I don't want to go to gatherings, especially where there's going to be booze. (Isn't that all of them?) And when I do go, like I did the other night, I find a way outside. I suspect that most of my worries are in my own head and not hers. I believe she would rather have me boring than drunk. Don't know if that is similar to you, but that's our story.
Old 12-11-2022, 11:06 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

TC, it’s interesting because I don’t really like beer. Now, when I’m running around on a binge, I’ll drink anything. Not an attractive feature.

Today, is a different day. I’m cleaning my home, doing laundry, and I tend on meal prepping tonight. Thankful for my sobriety today.
Old 12-11-2022, 12:31 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

...Anyway all and all a good day. But it's always clouded over my thinking of times up there with my wife who I lost to cancer 14 years ago.
I live in the past and it rips me open at times
​​​​​​​
^ Understandable, zenithboy. Much sympathy to you.
Old 12-11-2022, 01:01 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m sorry for your loss Zenithboy.
D
Old 12-11-2022, 05:14 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your loss, Z.
I hope everyone's Sunday is going well. It seems the bug I caught was Covid. It's okay. I don't feel terrible and it's a great way to get a lot of stuff down here at home.

Good job waking up sober, TakeAction.

Have a good Sunday evening/Monday morning friends.
"I know what it's like to feel helpless and hopeless like your soul is trapped in a pit in hell. But if there is one angel that can survive and stay alive until she is able to free herself, it's you. Don't ever give up."
Old 12-12-2022, 02:16 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 17 here. Things are all too familiar. Finished 2 weeks of physical discomfort. Seem to be settling into feelings of thoughtfulness and despair. Pretty powerful stuff. I have caved many times during this. I would throw up my hands and say "WTF". Not this time. Not sure how long this will last, but not this time. The day usually starts pretty well, but as the time hits when cocktails are breaking out all around me, it gets tough. Not this time. I'm ready to come out on the other side of this stage.

Hope everyone has a great week!
Old 12-12-2022, 02:29 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Bobdrop, hope you can stay strong. I think some where along the way I found out you at in Florida. I also visit there often and know the “cocktail hour” and all the older folks who wait for that time each day. So lots of peer pressure. With my recent abnormal blood test showing elevated liver levels I use that to shield the pressure when I get in that situation. I just say the doctor told me to take a break until my next appointment so they stop pushing.

Pledging for today. Day 71. Best to all for a peaceful and serene day.
Old 12-12-2022, 04:29 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Pledging for today.
I think I caught a bug up in Toronto,
Sore throat and have the chills
​​​​​​Not leaving the house today
Old 12-12-2022, 06:17 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Committing myself today!

It’s Day 6 and Monday. I’m sober but ironically I woke up a little ill. I feel nauseous and have some stomach issues. Great, I just used my pto for my stupid hangover. Hoping it goes away fast!

Have a great Monday ☺️
Old 12-12-2022, 06:36 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

I hope you feel better through the day, dear Takeaction.
Old 12-12-2022, 06:37 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zenithboy88 View Post
Pledging for today.
I think I caught a bug up in Toronto,
Sore throat and have the chills
​​​​​​Not leaving the house today
Oh gosh, I hope you feel better, too, dear zenithboy. s
Old 12-12-2022, 07:04 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Good morning.
I made it though the weekend.
Day 12.
No way am I drinking today!
It's been pretty easy so far, but the AV is being loud about Christmas.
I'm dismissing it right now and I'm just going to focus on not drinking today.
Hang in there. Moment by moment if we must.
We can do it just for today! Let tomorrow take care of itself.

Old 12-12-2022, 08:30 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Zenithboy - I hope you didn't catch it from me. About every other person I know right now is sick with something. Feel better soon.
Bobdrop - your resolve sounds great.
Runnerf- "doctor's orders" is always a great way to avoid the peer pressure. Day 71 sounds awesome!
Takeaction - I hope you also feel better quickly.
Meshelly - I know about the AV and Christmas. One year I bought shot bottles to put in stockings for the adults. I drank them all. In about 2 days. Not one of my better moments. You are going to get through this. Lean on this group if you need to. Better together.

Just for Today: When I am afraid of a change in my life, I will take comfort from knowing that God's will for me is good.

Happy Monday, friends!

Day 64
Old 12-12-2022, 08:39 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hi everybody, I'm reading everybody's post and pulling for each and everyone's success.
Thanks for helping me stay sober today. You guys are the best . I learn loads from your shares.

Good yesterday. Visited my two of my three sisters (they live in the same big house). Took my e-bicycle and forgot to charge the battery. Brilliant Will! Fortunately, sis has a mini SUV to put my bike in. The battery, the bike, and the motor must weigh one ton because I thought my back was going to brake putting it in the back of the vehicle. Glad no hurting bones this morning. Coffee, harm reduction practice is immediately effective. Ugg, groan, once an addict always an addict. Going to police that darn coffee. Oh well, I love it. Such is my life.

I forget that learning recovery tools can be daunting, confusing, very difficult to grasp, and just thoroughly overwhelming. How do I know which tool will help me? What if I don't understand it? If I work the tool and still relapse, is there something wrong with me? What is the best tool to work with first? I have a lot of symptoms and will have to work with hundreds of recovery tools before I feel better? Is there another way to recover without working recovery tools? If the tool is not working do I still stick with it?
I'm sure you can add to this list.

Start work on one symptom. Pick a tool that looks easy to do. If you have problems with the tool, find another one. Work it for a while until you feel confident to take on another tool. Take it slow, be patient with yourself, and keep it as simple as you can. If addiction recovery seems more formidable than addiction we would all be lost to alcoholism and the like.

We are here to help! Please, please use us to help you.

Old 12-12-2022, 09:17 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Ah, yes, Zen, coffee has become my new drug of choice as well.

Great post. I like the way you say the things that are in our heads. Have a great day!
Old 12-12-2022, 03:29 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Hey all. I'm back with my tail between my legs--it's been a really bad couple of weeks. But I am back. Alcohol sucks.
Old 12-12-2022, 03:31 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

I am done. I have hit the lowest of low and I need to crawl out of it. Everything is poured away, and tomorrow is the start of a better life.