Notices

Class Of December 2022 Part One

Old 12-09-2022, 07:03 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're staying strong Bob - I was around my musician pals last night too - I came home sober - so can you

D
Old 12-10-2022, 01:28 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Pledging for today. Day 69. Have had fleeting drinking thoughts in last few days but have played the tape forward to remember the previous results. That and the health consequences have been enough to quell the desire. Best to all on the journey.
Old 12-10-2022, 02:45 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Good for you Runner. Survived last night. Thought about how it would have been different if I had been drinking. For one thing, I would have lived in the line to have drinks made for me. Probably would have ended up saying something to someone that I would have regretted later. Would have ended up driving home. Never been arrested for DUI. Would like to keep it that way. Would have felt like crap the next day, and based on my current self, maybe the next 2 weeks. Wouldn't have been worth it.
Looking forward to the Army/Navy game today. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 12-10-2022, 03:17 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Bobdrop,

Glad to hear you made it through last night. Your thoughts about how it would have wound up if you had that first drink are mine as well. Much better to wake up sober and not trying to remember what you said or did. Enjoy the game.
Old 12-10-2022, 07:44 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Well done, Bob.
You too, Runner.
All I can say, Peke, is I understand. I know you can do this. But I completely understand how freaking hard it is. Hugs to you. Keep getting up.

Not going to my mtg this morning. I know it's not covid (took a test), I think it's just a cold. I'm not miserable, just annoyed mostly.

Have a great weekend guys.
"Someday, you will look back on all the progress you made and be so glad that you didn't give up."
Old 12-10-2022, 09:06 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Good day everyone

Day 18 here. Going to go to sewing store today to get fabrics. Going to make 2 quilts. One as a Christmas gift and the other for my husband. He’s been wanting his own quilt for a long time after seeing all the quilts I make for gifts or a sale. He told me he doesn’t care how much fabric he sees coming into the house but there better be enough fabric for him a quilt. Lol I thought fair enough.

My mind is getting clearer every day to the point of needing something to do and occupy my thoughts.

have a great Saturday everyone! ❤️❤️
Old 12-10-2022, 09:34 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Greetings and good day everyone.

Humor is a very important part of my life. I just adore silly places people and things. I laugh often and I laugh loud and long. Laughter is a medicine that keeps me revitalized. I am a strong advocate of laughing

Its always a good day to be sober. No matter if the clouds are hanging nearby and there's some rain on your parade. All you have to do is learn to dance on a cloud-filled rainy day, yay!

like it is said in the rooms of Alcoholics Anonymous don't quit recovery before the miracle happens. Now go out there and make it happen! 🎄

thank you everyone for being a miraculous part of my recovery.
Old 12-10-2022, 09:58 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Today is day four…It felt great to wake up sober. I was up early and went to grab a coffee. I even drove around town laughing on the phone with my friend. Rewind to last Saturday and this was about the time frame I started drinking.

It seems wild that I did that to myself for so many days. I’m thankful I’m not in that mindset today.

Have a wonderful Saturday
Old 12-10-2022, 10:45 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Hello all. AV is loud today, so I came here to shut her up!
I getting out my tool box this time.
Nope, I will not drink today. Just for today.
Day 10

Happy Saturday!
Old 12-10-2022, 05:44 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Day two

H
I went to volunteer at an ultra marathon. This should have been FUN. I am not a power hungry or bossy person. I am kind. I take orders well. I take instructions well. I have no ego. I’m al just there to support other ppl.

There was this woman who I was sort of thrown in with, was the organizer. Or something to that effect. Bottom line is that she gave me a job to do. I was to run ahead of the aid station and shout the bib numbers back to her and to her two buddies. (Not sure why got I job that required the most lung capacity as I’m a small person). Ppl were ringing cow bells. It was noisy as h$ll. I’d scream back “Bibb 254”….but I wasn’t sure if they heard. It was ver y important that they heard me. The runners had to pass this same aid station 3x and we need to count how many times they did this. So they wouldn’t repeat their run. So I’m trying to judge if they (the woman) heard me each time, finally I walked back. To confirm that they heard me. Just once I walked back. And this woman (who is about 30 and I’m 53) says “this area is none of your business. Stay out of this area. Go DO YOUR JOB”.

I was horrified. Wth? I was so shocked I scuttled away back to where I’d been. My heart was beating so fast. Who talks like that? Who talks to anyone that way? Yes she was loud and bossy to everyone. But I was just making sure that I got the right info to them. And she talked to me like I was a five-year-old.

She finally came up to me with some lunch meat. I politely thanked her. And told her I was good. Then she hugged me goodbye at the end. I was stunned.

I want to drink so badly tonight. I know it won’t help. Tomorrow has to be better, I volunteered for 8 hours today. Eight hours. No one should be spoken to like that.. what gives? It’s me, right? It’s me. I look like someone who should be treated this way.
I didn’t need this right now. I know you might think, “why do you care about some random person whom you’ll never see again”. Idk. I dk. Another friend form my running club was there and dealt with her. She didn’t get the harsh treatment that I did. Just me.

I won’t drink tonight. Tomorrow has to be better.

I’m sorry to waste your time with this stuff. This woman is enjoying the free pizza and beer that I should be enjoying now (not the beer). I volunteered too. I know that I’m sensitive. This happened at 8:30 this morning. I’m still living it.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:02 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that happened, Pekelover.
Will there be any kind of de-brief session, on how the event was managed, at which you could voice your concerns? Even to express about the difficulty hearing, and what could be done to improve that.
Some people confuse assertiveness with rudeness and I think you have experienced rudeness.
Sorry for that, ma'am.
again.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:52 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Thanks Caramel. Again, I’m sorry to have gone on. I have already exhausted three friends with this story.

This woman is not I’m my running club. Thankfully I’ll never see her again. I don’t want the friends in my club to know how upset I am. What would they even do? Email her? Then they’d all worry that I’m “sensitive”.

Thank you for your reply.
Thank you all so much.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:46 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Way to stick with it, all! Good job Jojo, Runner, Bobbieka, Bobdrop, Pekelover, Meshelly, Zencat, and TakeAction!

I had a lovely day today. I did some Christmas shopping and enjoyed seeing Strange World with my three sons. The movie isn't doing very well at the box office, but I thought it was timely, beautiful, and well-written. The theme of parent/child love/expectations/disappointment is POIGNANT and left me teary and thoughtful. We all really liked it!

After the movie I listened to Tyler Childers and Sturgill Simpson (amazing metamodern Country/Americana artists) in the kitchen. The boys played cards while I baked spicy sausage, spinach, and cheddar bierocks for my AA potluck and speaker meeting. Tonight, at the meeting I had 4 people ask me for the recipe, which made me feel great. It was humbling to have to stand up for only 7 days during our sobriety countdown (had I avoided my recent slip, I would have had 10 months), but I need some humility and honesty, so I guess that works out. In general, I think I'm not really much of a counting person anymore. Not sure how much the number matters if I'm doing this FOREVER. And I am definitely doing this FOREVER.

My kids wanted to have a "camp out" tonight, but it's FREEZING so I set up the tent and inflated some air mattresses in the basement. They fell asleep immediately, but I'm still up pottering about, reading, and drinking some tea. Feeling grateful and tired.

We are making a fancy french almond pastry for breakfast in the am - I've got the pastry dough and filling already prepped in the fridge, so we'll just need to assemble and bake it tomorrow. I think it will be divine.

I keep getting periodic shivers of JOY. It feels so wonderful to be FULLY PRESENT in my messy house, with my messy kids, loving them in messy ways.

I will never drink alcohol or abuse medications again, and I will never change my mind. Thanks for listening.
Old 12-10-2022, 09:30 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

This was such a touching post, TC. I can visualize everything, right down to the tents in the basement. It sounds like you had a wonderful day. I’m so happy for you. WTG!
Old 12-10-2022, 09:38 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  
Administrator

it sounds like this woman was not good at handling pressure, Peke.
Try and see her remarks as a reflection of that, not a reflection on you and your intrinsic worth

D
Old 12-11-2022, 03:10 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 16 here. Not really much to say right now.
Old 12-11-2022, 03:42 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Bobdrop. Congrats on 16 days.

Pledging for today. Day 70. Having marital issues with wife of 39 years. I guess I’m too boring. Better to be boring then sick or dead. Best to all today.
Old 12-11-2022, 05:04 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Originally Posted by RunnerF View Post
Bobdrop. Congrats on 16 days.

Pledging for today. Day 70. Having marital issues with wife of 39 years. I guess I’m too boring. Better to be boring then sick or dead. Best to all today.
I’m sorry, Runner. I read this as her learning to love you in all your iterations over the years.

Drinking hurts our loved ones, but they don’t always recognize the pain, just the familiarity. Change is hard for everyone.

You are making the safe, sane, best choice for yourself by abstaining. In all likelihood she will come to see that, too, but it may take some time.

There is NOTHING boring about the promises that life holds when you stop drowning out your spirit.

Hang tough, Runner!
Old 12-11-2022, 07:35 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Good day wherever you are on mother earth. I am blessed to have you as a big part of my recovery. I only hope that I can give back to each and every one of you. My deepest gratitude. I'm a very fortunate man

I'll start with the serenity prayer:
(Insert Your HP here) grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can,and the wisdom to know the difference.

I can chant that wisdom in a singsong way as an aid to my meditation practice. "Scientific studies have found that chanting can decrease stress, anxiety, and depressive symptoms, as well as increase positive mood, feelings of relaxation, and focused attention." - source
Food for thought peeps

I'm stoked that I slept well last night. However I drank about nine cups of java juice to stay awake all day,
Yikes. So today I'm going to watch my coffee intake. Wellness/sober/clean wise, Had a sober slump in daily activities just a bit ago. Just had to move my body regardless of a low mood. It is a great wellness practice to push yourself hard if you have, to do what is necessary to be active in life as with addiction treatments. After just a couple of days, My mood is way better, feeling motivated with purpose again. Yea recovery tools are a lifesaver and very I'm grateful that this old goof-ball can learn new stuff.

Well, that's it for now. Going to gaze at some American Rugby (is what we call football) on the boob tube in the Land of Liberty
Namaste and Blessed Be.

And now for something completely different.
Sometimes you have to move to get into the grove.

Old 12-11-2022, 07:49 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Runner- I've read your posts in past, you sound pretty active, that's not boring.
Bob- 16 days is awesome.
TC- I'm a bit of a foodie and enjoy cooking.
That's always a good feeling when folks ask for recipe!
Peke- I'm someone who tends to go out of the way for folks. It's always bothered me to no end when someone treats me like crap . What I have noticed over the years is that people like that usually treat everyone else like crap too. It's their problem.

I took a day trip over the bridge to Toronto yesterday. I haven't been there in 3 years due to border restrictions with COVID.
I always love it up there, just a great city, lots of ethnic foods.
I brought back some Greek moussaka (kinda like eggplant lasagna.
Some delicious spicy Korean tofu and also seafood pancakes.
A tin a Vietnamese coffee, it's probably in my top 5 best coffees I've ever had.
My ancestry is Swiss, I grabbed a nice fresh loaf of a Swiss bread at a bakery.
I'm thankful that US border guy let me pass thru, not that anything was contraband. But over the past 35 years I've had some real nightmares at the bridge.
I realize it's a hard job, but some of those guards can be real jerks when they don't need to be.
I've been treated like a real criminal for having a few unmarked sweet potatoes.
Pockets emptied, dogs sniffing thru my truck, yelled at like I'm hiding something.
Ahhh I digress..
Anyway all and all a good day. But it's always clouded over my thinking of times up there with my wife who I lost to cancer 14 years ago.
I live in the past and it rips me open at times