Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Day One’s a thing of the past? Weekenders 23 - 26 September 2022

Notices

Day One’s a thing of the past? Weekenders 23 - 26 September 2022

Old 09-23-2022, 08:42 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Melki
least
I'm sorry PJ

D
Old 09-23-2022, 09:06 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

the only time the pain is less is when I'm lying down so I'm going to bed early
Old 09-23-2022, 09:33 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

Welcome Melki

AthensDawg, all the best with your p/t job. Pleased you’ve got support from your girlfriend.

Least, take care please. If the doc is saying rest, then rest it must be. If bending will make things worse, don’t bend. You don’t wanna be laid up for month’s on end. Take care of yourself as if your body is a precious thing, because it is. (And You are to us)

Robbie, hope you’re feeling betting soon. Take care.

Staying close to SR when I was newly sober is what gave me my sober muscles and tools, and visiting every day helped me on the road of recovery. (I’m still on it, always will be) It worked for me but I do understand some folk need face to face contact too. Do whatever it takes to keep sober. There’s no shame and embarrassment (as I felt ).

What you’re doing is empowering yourself. The more time I have sober the more I think of it it as a Superpower. Sounds drama queenish, I know. When you drank as we did with no ‘off’ switch, to be free from it’s clutches is a feeling of such freedom. We don’t ever wanna go back to Day 1 !

Love to all Weekenders xxxx
Old 09-23-2022, 10:10 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders!

I must admit that Roger Federer’s last ever competive appearance last night in a doubles match where he fittingly partnered Rafael Nadal has me feeling a bit emotional this morning. What a player and what a gracious human being! In his closing interview on Thursday he promised to remain involved with the sport and in a way it brings to mind the saying that nothing lasts forever, but nothing is ever lost.

Over the years Mrs Haddock and I watched nearly all of his 31 grand slam final matches. We stayed up for the match until 01:30am, thereby breaking our own record that has probably stood for at least 15 years.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:53 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Magsie

I missed it CaptainHaddock but saw his emotional speech on the news, what a fine man and sportsman he is.
Old 09-24-2022, 01:49 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Good Morning Weekenders

I'm feeling a little bit better today and managed to get some sleep, which helped.

Welcome to Weekenders melki

least

PJ, it's been a tough time for you

Captain, I forgot about the Roger Federer tennis match last night. I was watching the Italy v England football match last night (the least said the better! We got beat...) and meant to find a channel that was showing the tennis after the football had finished but forgot. I saw his end of game / career speech, very moving. My favourite Slam final he featured in is one of the Wimbledon finals he lost. Playing Nadal in the 2008 final, both men produced a near 5 hours classic in an unforgettable match.
Old 09-24-2022, 02:50 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

PJ, thanks for sharing. Big hug to you and Roxy

No more day 1s for me. I can't do it again.
Old 09-24-2022, 05:22 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

(((least))) I sent you a private message.
Robbie I am glad you feel a little better and were able to sleep.
Athens Dawg I hope you can stay strong and good luck with the job pursuit.
I watched the Federer match. I am the rare person that is not a rabid Fed Fan but I admire him. I am a Djokovic fan but struggling with him because he won't get vaccinated. I guess he has health reasons. It was a very entertaining match. Kind of glad that team World won beause I like Tiafoe. I know I am an outlier on this.

Really enjoying the weather here in NC. It has finally cooled off and feels great. My husband likes it because it is better for deer hunting. He is not a trophy hunter but a meat hunter. When he harvests a deer he processes it himself. And he and my daughter make venison sausage and vacuum seal it and freeze it. We eat it all year and use it in chili, spaghetti sauce and other dishes.

Happy sober Saturday everyone. It never gets old waking up without a hangover. Day 646 here!
Old 09-24-2022, 05:56 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

CBS, Frances Tiafoe is a very promising player and I’ve started taking a liking to him.

Today is National Heritage Day in my country. It is popularly known as Braai Day, which would translate to Barbeque Day elsewhere. So anyone and everyone with a carnivorous streak will be lighting up a fire to grill some meat, chicken or fish (some die hard meat lovers here still refuse to clasify fish and chicken as meat).

There’s a Heritage Day airshow on the go so every now and then some weird and wonderful aircraft comes by.

Old 09-24-2022, 06:29 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

CBS, I have a commercial grinder and I do the same. If he makes a lot of bulk ground meat, and if you are looking for a Christmas or birthday gift, and if he doesn't already have one, I recommend a 'ground meat packing kit' from Southern Indiana Butcher Supply. It's one of those rare game changers that you find in life.

National Heritage Day sounds wonderful! That second picture looks a little scary at first glance. Air shows are great and I love them. The local air shows here used to always have a good representation of the old WWII planes. Back then I didn't care much about them and was just killing time until the Blue Angels had their turn. The Blue Angels are still definitely cool, but I have a tremendous amount of appreciation for the old planes and the significance of what they represent. Having a clearer head, I find other things in life following that same pattern.
Old 09-24-2022, 06:43 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Roses are red
And, my kinda fun
Is skipping the BS
That goes with Day 1

Burma Shave

As with so many others here, I simply don't have another Day 1 in me. The stellar news: Effortless Sobriety, as I call it, allows me to skip all the 'Moth circling back to the Flame' impending destructiveness. That is, I don't constantly fight off temptation, or expend undue effort in not picking up. As with about anything in my past I've outgrown, or don't care about anymore, Sobriety patterns on Autopilot kick in over time to triumph over potential disaster. Whew! New patterns made possible by hanging here on always-available SR.

I have the rare AV intrusion, or drinking dream, and I just blow all that off. That such stuff still arises doesn't alarm me. I also randomly recall everything from a Childhood Dog, to a College GF. Yeah, Buddy! Urge Surfing past bad memories merits a shrug and a 'meh' reaction from me. No Large Deal.

For me, *over-reacting* to the AV gives it unwarranted power. As goes the ancient joke: 'Doctor, Doctor, it hurts when I do that'. 'OK, so don't do that'.

Superb Fall Weather forecast for 10 Days out. Full or partial Sun. 74 F [23 C] Degrees. Crisp Mornings: 44 F [7 C] earlier. It's too invigorating to dull these times in what is medically called a 'Persistent Stupor'. A pathetic state I drank myself into nonstop where you're never really fully alert, and living Life. My Sotted Irony: tackling Life became much easier than avoiding it.

Thanks, Mags...

Old 09-24-2022, 10:26 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hey Melki! Long time no see, massive congratulations on 8 years even if things are tough right now. Stick with us, you can do it.

Sending positive vibes least, PJ.

Good idea on stopping the other stuff as well AthensDawg, in the long run it only brings misery.

Serena Williams then Roger Federer, it's the end of an era. Classy people too, both of them.

Interesting quote from Friedrich Nietzsche (boxing promoter Don King who was by all accounts a big fan of his, once referred to him as Fred Knees-itch) I had a go at reading him once believe it or not. He was definitely to something but I had to give up. It was too hard going. He made my brain hurt.

These are anxious times if you're a Brit.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:59 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hey Cityboy he does have a commercial grinder. It is so much easier nowadays. We used to use my grandmothers old hand crank grinder and it took forever!
Old 09-24-2022, 11:48 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
~sb

Least, so sorry you are in such pain. Have you been diagnosed with osteoporosis? Brittle bones...It could be a reason for the fractures.

Sending you love and healing thoughts and prayers
Old 09-24-2022, 02:35 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

All I have done since Monday is sleeping. I felt myself getting sucked into a depression cycle(I've been there numerous times) and I had to do some things for myself yesterday. My body isn't used to the meds or their is a higher dosage so I have to speak with the doc on Monday regarding that. I feel like a zombie and that's not me.

I'm trying to fight through this the best I can. Doing a ton better than last weekend with all the **** that went down and 0 alcohol.
Old 09-24-2022, 06:26 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Thanks saoutchik! Mags, Dee, Alpine, Running Scared, Robbie, hiya. Hang in there, least, and everyone struggling. MesaMan, I REALLY liked this "When we are tired we are attacked by ideas we conquered long ago." Sooooo true. I'm hurting and feeling bone tired. Crawled my way through Saturday. I picked up smoking again, tempted to dull the pain with some leftover benzos, but held off. We got this. Tomorrow is a new day.
Old 09-24-2022, 07:45 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Magsie

Good Morning Weekenders

MesaMan I love that quote too! "When we are tired we are attacked by ideas we conquered long ago."

CaptainH great pics of the fly by’s.

AthensDawg, it will get better, keep looking forward.

Had a horrible dream that someone stole my cats and dumped them. I retaliated by getting her by the throat and making her tell me where they were. Thankfully all was ok when I woke up from it as I was driving like a madwoman to find them. The cats were fast asleep on their blankets.

Old 09-25-2022, 01:23 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Hi Melki, sorry you are struggling. You have done the right thing coming back for support.

Love the pics, Captain.

Nightmares are so disturbing aren't they Mags. I always wake up exhausted afterwards. Hope it doesn't linger.

I have been cutting back a huge rambling rose. Now I have lots of little thorns embedded in my hands and arms which are itchy and sore.
Old 09-25-2022, 01:40 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Magsie

Aargh Kaily, that will be sore! No my dream didn’t linger just thought you all must think I’m nuts! I’m not usually a violent person like I was in my dream.
Old 09-25-2022, 01:46 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Might be your alter ego